Shopping + Products

Roddy & Ginger

February 12, 2009

Hey check this out! I found a fresh and fun retro designer in London called Roddy & Ginger today after Margarita from Chocolate Creative left a comment on my blog. I clicked over and there was Roddy & Ginger — immediately I adored their designs and had to feature them.

Roddy & Ginger designs homewares, bags and limited-edition pieces using vintage fabrics and a selection of one off vintage finds. They even sell vintage finds from the flea market. So sweet.

(images from roddy & ginger)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jen Skelley February 12, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. I am loving those tote bags! They are only one color and look so good.

Jen Skelleys last blog post: Country Bears -limited edition screen print

• Reply Dee Beale February 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Their prints are just fab!

Dee Beales last blog post: Sketchbook – Tree Flower

• Reply Afi February 12, 2009 at 2:36 pm

So sweet Holly! Great find! :) Thank you!

• Reply Lexy February 12, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I know it’s not necessarily about the totes, but I really love their product photos with the balckboards in the background. Something different, and I think it looks really good!!

Lexys last blog post: Giveaway!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 12, 2009 at 6:37 pm

So cute! I love them! Thanks for the introduction hun!

• Reply Ewa February 13, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I’m Polish and I know this kind of designs-we call them WYCINANKI. Paper cutots if you prefer. Have a look at this web and check Dolls

ps. easteris coming so look for … PISANKI

• Reply fabframes February 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm

These are a great take on traditional folk motifs. Very well done!

fabframess last blog post: Cincinnati Panoramas by James Blakeway

• Reply magikquilter February 17, 2009 at 7:17 am

very fresh and interesting and current…and incredibly reasonable

• Reply John February 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I don’t mean to be rude but it is just staggering to see designers use vintage designs without even giving the true designer credit. The design in the middle is actually a Stig Lindberg design. I would not have said anything at all but it seems to me to be just too close.

• Reply decor8 February 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm

John thank you for your comment. I don’t think it’s rude at all, what you’ve said… I notice lots of designers that are inspired by the designs from times past and use them directly in their work changing them by altering the color, scale, etc. I remember seeing recently a mood board of a designer’s wall at Martha Stewart who had all of these vintage patterns pinned to her inspiration board and outright said that those were her inspiration for a new line of bedding or something for Martha. This is also the case with Indian prints reinterpreted by modern designers who alter the colors but keep the original design. It’s an interesting topic, I don’t have the answer, but I do think about this as well. Thank you for opening up the conversation. Maybe others will get involved.

• Reply annemarie February 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm

This topic just came up at the design by the book event at the NYpl. For any artist who is looking to be inspired by works from the past, the librarian mentioned a copyright lawyer who would be available at certain branches for consultation on this exact subject. Wish I had the info written down, but the new York public library Design by the Book site might have more info.

• Reply ingermaaike February 17, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I think if you use a design that was made by someone else you should at least mention it. But having said that some designs are so often used and well known that most people don’t even know there is a designer behind it that needs to be accredited.

ingermaaikes last blog post: The snowy road and some bread

• Reply ACHUKA February 17, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I don’t think the example posted by John IS ‘too close’ actually – I feel there is sufficient difference in that particular instance for it to be OK

• Reply Angela February 17, 2009 at 2:15 pm

While I agree credit should always be given where due, regarding the Stig Lindberg design, I suppose it could be “inspired by Lindberg” but definitely NOT a Stig Lindberg design. The example is different enough, IMO.

Angelas last blog post: Sweet Pearl Earrings

• Reply Cameron February 17, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I think that John has a point–when a design, vintage or otherwise, can be easily traced back to its designer, it’s a good idea to give credit. On the other hand, many vintage artists toiled in obscurity in their own time, so giving credit is all but impossible.

Funny, I was just thinking about this issue this weekend, as I was working on a felt project inspired by (or, you could argue, ripped off from) my favorite vintage textile (blogged here:

Camerons last blog post: I Felt Like Nasturtiums

• Reply John February 17, 2009 at 2:39 pm

In my opinion there should be integrity in design. Being inspired by something (to me) doesn’t mean changing a design just enough to get away with it. It is actually to capture the feeling of the original design without it looking anything like the original. A lot 40’s/50’s/60’s industrial designers found inspiration from fine art you can see lots of connections but not many pure or close copies.Stig Lindberg is a giant in the design world and deserves “in my opinion” full credit for his designs. To me the question here would be did the designer cross a line and can you associate this design directly with Stig Lindberg? In my opinion the answer would be yes.

• Reply decor8 February 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm

John thank you for your comment. Just a side point: have you thought to write to the designers themselves who offend you? It’s good to talk to that person and express your concerns and ask questions.

• Reply Chloe Cumbow February 18, 2009 at 10:39 am

might be hard for John to do that because there are so many of them. I appreciated John’s passion for the subject. Chloe C.

• Reply Ms Unreliable February 18, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Oooh very interesting topic! I think one thing that’s easy to miss is the fact that although a designer may very well have credited their inspirations at some point or another, that’s not to say every blogger who covers their work will make a note of it. I’ve come across some very obvious “inspired” works on blogs, but going to the source of the work often reveals that inspiration is actually acknowledged.

There are obviously people out there who won’t do the right thing (as you have already discovered Holly!), but I think one of the best elements of the design blogging community is that there are so many savvy readers and bloggers alike who won’t sit back and let someone take credit for work that clearly isn’t their own.

Ms Unreliables last blog post: It’s the Little Things…

• Reply Chloe C. February 18, 2009 at 8:19 pm

on the other hand, John’s example is a perfect example of universal docorative design – could be African, Eastern European, Moari, etc.etc…
    Do take a look at Ewa’s (#6) site, thank you Ewa! Chloe C.

• Reply John February 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Its actually a Stig Lindberg design. I have never seen any other pattern that looked like the one below . Its wonderful to be inspired just turn it into something new.

• Reply virginia February 19, 2009 at 4:34 am

This has created quite a stir. Yes, like so many designers my work is influenced by the wonderful designs that I grew up with in the ’60s and ’70s, a lot of design these days is a recycling process and thats no bad thing. That particular design was inspired by a tiny unmarked ashtray that I picked up in a flea market. I had no idea that it was by the great Stig Lindberg, which shows the gaps in my design education. I’m so sorry to have caused John so much anguish, I hope he will forgive me.

• Reply decor8 February 19, 2009 at 11:10 am

Virginia – Thank you so much for your comment, it’s great to hear your side of the story. :) I remain a big fan, your work is really great and I hope it will make its way to the U.S. sometime very soon.

• Reply virginia February 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Thank you Holly, love your blog!. We are hoping to sell in the US sometime soon, in the meantime its all available from our website and we are very happy to ship. Virginia

• Reply Vintage Stockholm February 20, 2009 at 4:01 am

Thanks for using my Ebay shop page to show the lovely Stig L. item.
    Those bags look great!!!