Inspired By Amy Seeley

Music is such a fantastic gift — a real joy, it’s powerful and alive. One good song can change the course of an entire day from blah to rock on, baby! I really appreciate it when some of my online friends share the music that inspires them on their blogs. It’s quite a nice way to get to know your fellow humans better, to take a moment to hear what they hear, listen to the music that they feel a personal connection to. It deepens the connections we all have to one another. Want to know who I’m connecting to lately in the world of music?

Singer/songwriter Amy Seeley from Portland, Oregon. This girl sings like an angel, plays the piano and get this, the accordion! I just purchased her $10 cd and I can’t wait until it arrives so I can listen to it while I work. Great daytime music for writing but also fantastic for Sunday mornings lounging in bed with a book, some buttered toast with jam, and layers of cozy blankets. Amy’s voice makes me want to cry and smile at the same time, but it also energizes me because I can feel her passion in her work and it makes me want to be more passionate about the things I do too. Her lyrics are easy to connect to, she is such a fine songwriter capturing very basic emotions in a hauntingly beautiful way making things like heartbreak and pain feel somewhat romantic if that makes sense. The piano arrangements are glorious. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do.

Here’s some other music I like here and here.

(images from amy seeley)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on February 20, 2009

1. Heidi Jo O. commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 2:30am

Just lovely. Right up my folksy alley. : ) Thanks for the introduction.

Heidi Jo O.s last blog post: the brilliant AMY ABSHIER-REYES

2. susan yee commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 2:36am

Amy is wonderful, beautiful, and deserves this!! Everyone should listen to Amy <3 <3

susan yees last blog post: ji & steve . wedding . teaser.

3. Smila commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 3:08am

Soft, relaxing! Great!

Smilas last blog post: Bitterkalt!

4. Stephanie commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:10am

Just my kind of thing. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanies last blog post: 100 Books

5. Laura commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:29am

This is beautiful! I am over at her site right now listening; thanks!

Lauras last blog post: Happy Weekend! {and a recipe}

6. Holly commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:31am

Love her music! She reminds me a lot of Ingrid Michaelson, who i also love. I already bought some songs off itunes!

Hollys last blog post: Floral Abundance- print

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:46am

Ah yes! Thank you for sharing this hun….I am off to check her out.
    I love how music can change everything…..
    xo
    Melis

8. Sarah commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:58am

Music to be inspired by:

Raising Sand – Robert Plant & Allison Krauss
    the Corrs – anything
    Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
    Frank Sinatra – anything
    West Side Story – soundtrack
    Bridget Jones’ Diary – soundtrack
    The Beatles – St. Pepper and Revolver
    Sheryl Crow- Sheryl Crow (Everyday is a Winding Road)
    Joni Mitchell – Court & Spark
    Bonnie Raitt – Luck of the Draw and Nick of Time
    Grateful Dead – Terrapin Station
    Styx – Greatest Hits
    Dan Fogelberg – Nether Lands and Souvenirs
    Partridge Family – Partridge Family Album (first album)

9. Janelle commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 11:08am

She has such a beautiful voice! Reminds me of a friend… Thanks for sharing her with us.

10. Diane commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 11:23am

Absolutely agree. I completely fell in love with her after you mentioned her on Twitter last night. I hope she’s playing a show the next time I head to Portland.

Dianes last blog post: Isaac Mizrahi for Liz Claiborne

11. Nan Lawson commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 11:50am

thanks for the recommendation! i’m always up for new music. i am personally inspired by andrew bird right now! even named my blog after him and his most recent album!

Nan Lawsons last blog post: Happy Friday!

12. dana pugh commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 11:50am

saw Amy live at a private party in Vegas a few days ago. amazing. emotional. wonderful.

13. lizsong commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 12:25pm

she inspires me all the time. :-) thanks for posting!

lizsongs last blog post: she’s offering me

14. leaca commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 12:39pm

I love her stuff and I bought the cd on itunes for $8. I looked at your other selections and I love Fine Frenzy too but I had not heard of some of the other selections. I have it bookmarked and will check them out later. I love it when I have new music to check out. Thanks.

leacas last blog post: simply chocolate

15. kim chiles commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 2:18pm

amy is my universal sister and she is connecting the world with her grace, one lilting, emotionally charged song at a time. she deserves this and i am excited to see her featured on a blog i frequent, (as an aspiring designer).
    she is beloved.

16. cdelphine commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 3:23pm

Music is definitely inspiring. I’ll have to check out Amy Seeley. One of my favorite groups that you’ve probably never heard of is Judd and Maggie. Beautiful voices and lyrics. http://www.myspace.com/juddandmaggie

cdelphines last blog post: shed

17. Dee Wilcox commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 4:07pm

Such beautiful music! Thanks for sharing. How did you hear of her?

Dee Wilcoxs last blog post: Art is Everywhere. This Week: Amazing Grace

18. Heather Essian commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:03am

oh my how i love amy’s music as well! she gets me through a long day of editing and inspires me through each song! found her about a year ago and never get tired of the same songs :)

19. Kami commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:43am

I love her song Gravel Lines…it is moving. I saw it first here. I really like her.

Kamis last blog post: A Word About Blogging…

20. decor8 commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 11:22am

Dee: I clicked on an ad over on this gorgeous blog: http://bohemiangirldesigns.blogspot.com/

21. boho girl commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 5:15pm

i love how you described my dear friend.
    so true. so absolutely beautifully true.

dee…so sweet to know you read my blog. ; )
    xo

22. boho girl commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 5:52pm

oops, i meant “holly”. ; )

23. decor8 commented
    February 21st, 2009 at 9:09pm

Hi Boho Girl! It’s nice to “meet you”. I heard about you last year but then forgot… Then I was on Kelly Rae’s blog the other night after a convo I had with Elizabeth at SAW, I saw your ad on Kelly’s site and then clicked and found you again. I was SO happy and delighted because I dream of someday hiring you to take photos of me. I know you’ll be in NH in Sept but I won’t be, I’m be in Germany then… But maybe eventually I can get to CA and schedule some time with you. I love your work!!!

xo
    Holly

24. boho girl commented
    February 22nd, 2009 at 1:09am

i would absolutely love to photograph you, Holly!
    lets do coordinate if you are in Southern California…
    that would be dreamy.

xo,
    denise

25. Tartelette - Helen commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 1:22pm

I “have” to work in music and this is new to me and makes me so happy! Thank you!

26. betsy commented
    February 25th, 2009 at 4:57pm

hey holly,

if you like her, you might like katie herzig too – a very similar style, but brilliant just the same.

thanks for sharing new music tallent!