Recycled Home {Book of the Week}

After several days of research with my head buried in books I thought today would be a great time for a book review since one in particular comes to mind that I know you’ll love. With 250 photographs and 160 pages of inspiration, Recycled Home written by Mark & Sally Bailey and photographed by Debi Treloar is honest and surprisingly fresh given that so many books have been dedicated to recycling in the past that I wasn’t sure what to expect. Mark & Sally share their unique eye for the abandoned and unloved, their passion for the simple and well made along with their love of home restoration, architecture, and stripped-back simplicity is evident page after page. This talented couple encourages us to abandon preconceived ideas about the purpose of things and to think of the home as a place to experiment with new ideas. Would you like a glimpse of what you can expect?

Recycled Home features rooms from around Europe including Mark & Sally’s restored home in England. Chapters cover storage, walls & floors, display, textiles, lighting, tones & textures and elements and then continue by breaking down sections by room from kitchens to bathrooms, bedrooms and work spaces.

This book is practical in this economy, thinking about what we own already and how we can use it differently is a fun, creative exercise but also very good for the wallet. After reading about their many finds I felt encouraged to return to my roots and spend days at junk shops and outdoor sales searching for an inexpensive treasure that simply needs a little love. I jumped in my car this past weekend and found myself in a delightful little antique store in Concord, MA this weekend digging through gorgeous Victorian wedding cards, vintage illustrations from French children’s books, and antique letter holders from England alongside of my husband who found Longfellow’s complete poems published in 1877, Poems of Goethe from 1874, translated to English by Edgar Alfred Bowring and Heinrich Heine’s complete works, 7 volumes, in German, published in 1898.

Recycled Home is $29.95 at Anthropologie and in your local book store but you can buy it on Amazon for only $19.

(images from holly becker for decor8, all links are affiliate links since I have an Amazon store.)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on February 23, 2009

1. michelle commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 2:55pm

i have this book and really like it. funny, i’m pretty sure i found it at my local used book store so my copy of Recycled Home is actually recycled.

michelles last blog post: Just More Love

2. leaca commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 4:08pm

I love this kind of stuff. I will have to get it.

leacas last blog post: 7 questions–Zoogal (Darla)

3. ryan commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 8:40pm

thanks for posting this! i think the most creative & exciting design is refurbishing the old into something new!

ryans last blog post: A day in Greenwood Cemetery

4. Diann commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 9:07pm

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I HAVE to get this book.

Dianns last blog post: Window Seats

5. lindsay commented
    February 23rd, 2009 at 10:12pm

Many of the things I love most in my home came from garage sales, thrift stores, or even from the curb! old + worn = well loved

lindsays last blog post: Earthy…

6. simplygrove commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 1:28am

I cant wait to get my hands on this one!!

simplygroves last blog post: Pink and tufts make for a great day….

7. Sarah commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 9:39am

My friend recently was mentioning this book to me. Thanks for again bringing it to my attention!

Sarahs last blog post: Inspired: 02.24.09

8. Nina commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 10:13am

First of all, I adore your blog.

I was just looking for antique shops/consignment shops in the Manchester, NH area this past weekend (a drive from Peterborough was inspiring). Can you tell me where the shop is that you found in Concord?

Thanks!

9. decor8 commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 10:21am

Yes it’s called Thoreauly Antiques located at 25 Walden Street downtown.

10. kbd commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 3:46pm

Wow, great book… just what I need. I was just looking at Easter egg baskets at the grocery store the other day thinking, where do people put all the new stuff they buy and then have no use for? I think we all need to re-assess what we really need and how we can use and create beautiful, useful things for a lifetime and not let it end up in a landfill.

kbds last blog post: Putting Pieces Back Together Again

11. Janet commented
    February 24th, 2009 at 5:25pm

I am going to buy it now. I can’t wait to get it here.

Janets last blog post: Little Pink ‘Fridges for You and Me…

12. Megan commented
    February 25th, 2009 at 11:11am

Ohhhhh, thanks for the review and images Holly!! This is on my list of books to check out: http://myfirstnest.typepad.com/my_first_nest/2009/02/friday-finds-books-i-dont-own-yet.html

Megans last blog post: Loving: DwellStudio

13. Dee Wilcox commented
    February 25th, 2009 at 11:24am

Thanks for taking the time to review this! I’ve seen it many times in Anthropologie and been curious, but as you said, there are many books on recycling out now, and like you, I was unsure what to expect. I plan to hit a few antique shops myself this weekend! :)

Dee Wilcoxs last blog post: Art is Everywhere. This Week: LOVE

14. sarah commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 12:13pm

mark and sally bailey own the most lovely store in the uk called ‘baileys home and garden’ filled with all of the beautiful things that are in the book. It is one of my favourite places to visit for inspiration.

15. Linda Norris commented
    December 26th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Just love this book!

I’ve been an avid recycler all my life, and agree reusing is even better. In my business life i find and fund all those clever ideas that divert waste from landfill and the wider environment, and recycle things that we throw away
    Sooo this book is great and feel even more inspired that we are all on a similar path to a gentler way of living and our small but important part we play in preserving our earth’s precious resources and saving our planet

Even better when i read the into i found that the Baileys were living just a few miles from where i lived in Ross on Wye before i emigrated to New Zealand. How funny is that?

Do New Zealanders still have a lot to learn here?

i hope that i can inspired others too?

16. jesslope commented
    September 19th, 2010 at 5:28pm

Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to pick this book up. I’ve been looking for more way to reuse everything around my apartment.

17. Sarah commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 11:23pm

Hiya. I love this book and I love Baileys their shop. I saw Sally a couple of times last week and mentioned your dilemma of the faux fireplace! I’m afraid she was horrified by the idea!