How Much For This Room?

You’ll be inspired by this week’s pick for How Much For This Room because it features a beautiful living and dining room clearly pulled together with a lot of love and a great sense of style. It’s also quite inexpensive so it’s within reach. These rooms were sent in by Benita Larsson, the Swedish design blogger behind the popular Chez Larsson, a lady we all know and love for her writing, great organizational skills, home DIY projects, and for the gorgeous blues, yellows and greens in her home! Thank you so much Benita for sharing your world with us today.

I’d like to note that Benita has had some items for quite a long time and was unable to remember exactly what she paid for them so she had to guess at a few of the prices. She feels confident though that they are pretty spot on. Not included is the cost of wall paint, flooring (original to the house), books, magazines and what she calls, “the old horrid TV” which I didn’t even notice until she pointed it out — ha ha! Oh Benita, we all battle with televisions whether they are old and horrid or new and sleek – our goal is always to hide them but it never seems to quite work out now does it?

Seating area: 1) IKEA Karlanda (pre Karlstad) Sofa $499. 2) Junk Shop find Armchairs (20 years ago) $100 + $125 for covers made in Hong Kong (I brought the worn out old covers sewn by myself to a tailor in Hong Kong and he copied them) + $60 for wheels. 3) Sofa table $0 (left to us in our house by the previous owners) + $10 for paint and varnish. 4) Junk Shop find nesting tables (18 years ago) $35 + $10 for paint. 5) Bookshelves self made out of MDF, cost of materials $70. 6) Self made MDF TV unit on wheels $55. 7) IKEA Door mat $8. 8) Floor lamp including shade $75. 9) Art – Half hull boat (produced by my husband Martin) $250. 10) Muji bowl $20. 11) Table lamp $35 including shade. 12) Pillow inserts 8@$6 = $48. 13) Fabrics for pillow covers (all 1/2 yard pieces): Svenskt Tenn Elephants 2@$46 =$92, White corduroy $8, Aqua linen $8, Joel Dewberry Woodgrain* $4, Paula Prass Garden Trellis* $4, Michael Miller Dandy Damask* $5, Denyse Schmidt Basket Weave* $4. 14) Iittala Savoy Vase $123. 15) Iittala Kivi Votive holders 2@$13 = $26. 16) Charity shop finds: Small glass vase and ceramic leaf dish 2@$1 =$2. 17) IKEA Roller blinds (not shown) $40,

Total for seating area: $1,716 USD

*Purchased on Etsy.

Dining space: 1) IKEA Hollow core door table top (no longer available), painted white $25. 2) Dumpster find table base $0. 3) Dumpster find chairs $0 + $12 for fleece fabric, batting and elastic. 4) Charity shop find Orange stools $44. 5) Built in cabinets left by previous owners $0 + $30 for paint and adhesive frosted plastic. 6) Ceiling lamp $200. 7) Cylinder glass vases used as hurricane lamps 2@$9 =$18. 8) Charity shop find bowl $2. 9) Table lamp $35 including shade. 10) Milky white flower pot $8. 11) Doggy art by Martin $0. 12) Ebay Whiskas Cat bed $88. 13) Vintage card boxes left to me by my parents $0. 14) Art: Magnus Carlsson framed art (a gift) $0, Abbey Hendrickson print (a win) $0 + frame $20, Junk shop find Bird print $3 + frame $20, Smelly cat art by my son Wille $3 for the canvas (art itself priceless).

Total for dining space: $508 USD

Fireplace wall: 1) JRG Electrical fireplace insert $850 + self built MDF and scrap wood mantle pieces, cost of materials $25. 2) Self built cube stools, cost of scrap wood, plywood, batting, foam and fabric $30. 3) Yellow canvas, cost for canvas and acrylic paint $26. 4) Art: Matte Stephens gocco print $20 + $16 for frame, Cosas Minimas print $16 + $12 for frame. 5) Charity shop find votive holders and clear flower pot 3@$1 =$3. 6) IKEA Green wooly blanket (no longer available) $25.

Total for Fireplace wall: $1,023 USA

What’s the grand total for fireplace wall, living room seating area and dining space? $3,247.00 USD

Why is this space so cozy, pretty, unique and affordable? Benita incorporated art from her family, built and or painted a lot of things herself, found free abandoned items in her local community that she gave new life to, and this clever lady loves a good thrift store! Good ideas to put into practice when you’re pulling together a room on a budget!

If you would like to be part of the How Much For This Room? series, please send one photo of your space to me at holly AT decor8blog.com with “How Much For This Room?” in the subject line. Thank you!

If you have any questions for Benita about her home please feel free to ask her in the comments section below. Thank you!

(images from benita larsson)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on February 27, 2009

1. erin commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 2:57pm

amazing! i love her blog. shes so thrifty and crafty and has an amazing eye. i really need to hit up thrift stores more often! i can’t believe that all only came to $3247!!!

love the light blue and yellow too. those are my accent colors as well, along with chocolate and white furniture! wish i could have more white… but i have a SUPER messy toddler, and i babysit my super messy cousin a couple times a week- plus my hubby prefers the dark stuff.

im loving these how much for this room posts btw!

2. Shanon commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 2:59pm

What a great space! And sooooo affordable. She did a wonderful job. The best part to me is of course the floors (that she was lucky enough to already have! yay!) and the artwork. =)

Shanons last blog post: Happy Friday!

3. pinkcupcakevintage commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 3:08pm

I am in love with that fireplace…and the orange stools!

pinkcupcakevintages last blog post: counting down the days

4. ivie commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 3:10pm

what attractively affordable spaces!

ivies last blog post: New Collections from Schumacher

5. Mypaperhearts commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 3:27pm

What a great series! It really reminds me how much you can do yourself, or rescue and give new life to make a room really wonderful.

Mypaperheartss last blog post: Hedgehog Dog Collar

6. City Chic - Jamie commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 3:40pm

Lovely! I love that fireplace.

7. julieann commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 4:10pm

Do you remember the color name of your turq paint? It is so warm and happy! Great space, I love the dining chairs and orange stools!!

julieanns last blog post: Lounge around, it’s the weekend!!

8. Kathleen commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 4:10pm

I LOVE this. Benita always posts nice details of her home but it’s nice to get an overall picture of the layout of her rooms.

Kathleens last blog post: Personal and Family Survival

9. Jo in NZ commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 5:53pm

I am loving this series — just had to tell you! And yes, Benita’s blog is a daily ‘must read’ for me down under as well ….

10. Nicole S. commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 5:57pm

I am smitten with that cat bed, and apparently it hasn’t been available for some time now. Sob!

11. gabz commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 6:58pm

Love everything about this space… especially the aqua (?) turquoise (?) teal (?) azure (?) blue (?) walls in LR. What is that fabulous color??
    Merci!

12. Ksenia in Canada commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Chez Larsson is a daily must-read for me too! Her fans cannot wait to see her book!

13. Miss B. commented
    February 27th, 2009 at 8:24pm

What a pretty and happy room. I do love that one wall painted blue, so fresh…

Miss B.s last blog post: THE BRIGHT SIDE PROJECT: DAY 4: JACQLEEN BLEU PHOTOGRAPHY

14. diana strinati baur commented
    February 28th, 2009 at 1:41am

IKEA + a good eye + elbow grease + a few donations from family and friends + a couple of good sales and thrift shops = a great, individual interior space! This formula never, ever seems to fail, does it?

diana strinati baurs last blog post: New Art

15. monica lee commented
    February 28th, 2009 at 8:30am

I love the feel and simplicity of this space…like you can take a deep breath and relax! lovely.

16. Denise Smith commented
    February 28th, 2009 at 10:42am

WOW. It takes A LOT OF WORK to pull off one room at this price—but two?!?!

I am impressed with her ability to continue to use older items and still maintain a clutter-free, clean and bright space.

Not feelin the love on the coffee table, but the area around the fireplace is perfect!

Denise Smiths last blog post: Patchwork

17. bev commented
    February 28th, 2009 at 10:44am

Bright, clean, inviting but in no way medicinal or cold. I would so love to see the yellow art on the wall across from the sofa above the sofa some way and remove the table in front of the sofa and replace it with the two fabric benches below the yellow wall art.
    The table grabs all the eye but would be awesome with a simple vase and stem. Is there a way you could place the table by an entry door where you come into a room such as the front door making an entry area with the table being centered or another area as the table is dramatic on it’s own as well as large in all directions and so exspressive with the wood gleaming and showy from the snowy white.
    I could go on and on loving so many pieces and their functions either by sight or use and how your eyes are always on the move to make you and others glow and that does come so naturally, thanks for sharing you.
    I so hope you are in no way offended as to me it’s like playing dress up on a much larger scale, even walking into stores my eyes and mind automatically redesign, paint and organize as I try to remember why I am there.
    bev

18. deanna commented
    March 2nd, 2009 at 9:39am

I love this space sooo much! It’s so light and airy, but still feels lived in and fun – not too sterile. All of the d.i.y. touches are incredible, too. She’s a thrift store scavenger after my own heart!

19. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    January 30th, 2010 at 11:38am

Benita’s style is so cozy-chic. Love the use of vibrant splashes of colour against the classic, clean white canvas.
    .-= Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog ..Moxie Java Bites the Las Vegas Dust =-.