Karin Eriksson & Visiting Overjarva

With so many technical issues today I was unable to write about this earlier so perhaps it’s been blogged ad nauseum by now but I have to say a little something anyway. I’ll add a twist to make it more interesting just in case you have heard about Swedish ceramicist Karin Eriksson’s new products on other blogs today. I’ve decided to highlight her art studio and retail space located at a charming country space just outside of Stockholm. It’s very transporting, I’m sure you’d love to visit. Here’s a glimpse of some of her new products available in the online version of her retail shop Manos.

But there’s more… If you ever find yourself visiting Sweden, Karin has a brick and mortar store which doubles as her work studio in an old glasshouse near Stockholm in the countryside. It is located within the Överjärva country estate in Solna. I would love to visit Stockholm again and see the Överjärva estate for myself because, imagine this… it has a cafe with fresh baked goods, environmental trails, farm animals, courses in sheep-farming and wool craft, and a stable with horses and ponies for hire. There is also an antiques shop, compost center, weekend events for all ages, and so much more. I love the concept — being surrounded by nature, comfort food, enjoying the animals, and visiting a few lovely shops for inspiration and an introduction to new things. Karin’s shop, Manos, must be a lovely addition to the whole Överjärva experience. I imagine Överjärva to be a little bit like the Rosendal Garden Kafe in the Djurgarden, a most beautiful place in the center of Stockholm that I’ll never forget. In addition to Karin’s work, Manos carries a selection of handmade objects from Sweden and abroad.

I notice she even stocks the fantastic German tea Samova from Hamburg, I had a chance to visit their shop in the Stilwerk in ’06 and really liked the tea and the cafe experience. My husband would love Överjärva, maybe we can visit this summer. :) Manos is open Thursday-Sunday 11-3 pm. Closed in July.

(images from karin eriksson)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics, travel on March 02, 2009

1. Diana commented
    March 2nd, 2009 at 5:59pm

Oh! What a gorgeous space! It was worth waiting through the technical difficulties to see this. I long for an open, greenhouse room like that!

Dianas last blog post: Quiet Day

2. leaca commented
    March 2nd, 2009 at 6:16pm

Such a beautiful space. I love all that light streaming in on those great textiles.

leacas last blog post: simply yummy–citrus brown rice & spinach salad

3. sarah commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 5:14am

wonderful cold northern light flooding through those windows, fabulous product too.

4. karuski commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 6:04am

Looks so soothing and beautiful. Thanks so much for this tip. Helsinki is not far from Stockholm at all (something positive about living on this edge of the World!).

karuskis last blog post: IVANAhelsinki Love

5. diana strinati baur commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 7:10am

I have been an admirer of Karin’s work for a while. Very nice that you posted this, Holly! Makes me remember how much work I have to do in my own space, and that is a good thing….

diana strinati baurs last blog post: Use What You Have

6. diana strinati baur commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 7:12am

OMG Samova! I just saw that— I love samova teas, and used to go to their space in Hamburg to test them…. I am a maybe baby girl :) That is so cool that Karin carries them!

diana strinati baurs last blog post: Use What You Have

7. Naomi F. commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 7:45am

Karin Eriksson is so amazing. I can’t get enough of her work!

I also can never get enough of Stockholm, so I will make sure to visit these great places you so kindly pointed out, next time I’m there.

Thank you so much for that! :)

8. hongyi commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 10:56am

beautiful, beautiful photos. it looks like a lovely, cozy space. karin is blessed!

9. ah Teo commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 11:07am

The macramé cloth looks gorgeous!! I wish i could visit the shop but i m tooooo far away. :o( oh well, i can only drool through these pictures.

ah Teos last blog post: Coffee Place

10. Jill commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 1:19pm

I love Karin’s work! I love her little stones. Great hostess gifts.
    I would love to visit her shop some day.

Jills last blog post: 4 RABBITS

11. Erin commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:41pm

Her studio/shop is like a bit of heaven to me…and I love the porcelain pebble with butterfly image on her site.

Erins last blog post: How to follow your bliss, trust your instinct, make something from nothing, and become your art