The Best Blues For Your Home

I received a nice email today from Lauren McGrath who recently launched a style blog with her mother, Good Bones Great Pieces. She works for a fashion magazine in New York and her mother Suzanne is an interior designer and former Martha Stewart Living TV producer and both admit to being huge decor8 fans, yay! After browsing their blog this morning I decided to make them the blog of the week to drive a little traffic love in their direction so I hope you will go visit Good Bones Great Pieces. Here’s a post that I found that I think will lure you over… it highlights the Best Blues to use on your wall.

The entryway in Suzanne’s home is in Donald Kaufman’s DKC-29.

1. Farrow and Ball Blue Ground (210) 2. Farrow and Ball Pale Powder (204) 3. Benjamin Moore Heavenly Blue (709) 4. Sherwin Williams Gulf Stream (SW6768) 5. Benjamin Moore Iceberg (2122-50) 6. Benjamin Moore Windmill Wings (2067-60).

Do you have a favorite blue and a photo to show the color in a room?

(images from good bones great pieces)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, Color Inspiration on March 03, 2009

1. Yoli commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 1:40pm

That Benjamin Moore Iceberg is just the color I need for my walls!

2. Allison commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:01pm

I’ve been contemplating painting the wall that’s shared between my kitchen/living-dining room in BM 2123-50 Ocean Air, a pale blue-grey. The wall has been a bright spring green for a couple years now and I’m ready for a change.

Allisons last blog post: Squeaky Clean Green

3. Anna @ D16 commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:05pm

I used Benjamin Moore Sea Foam in my kitchen, and I love it — it’s the palest blue imaginable, like cool winter air. It’s the only room in my house that’s not pure white.

Anna @ D16s last blog post: Still moving forward.

4. Vicki commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:06pm

As a color consultant a blue that I love (and one that’s really popular with clients) is Benjamin Moore’s “Stratton Blue”. It’s a soft blue with a hint of green……kind of a marine blue. If you want to view it visit the the Benjamin Moore Virtual Fandeck….you can google it. :) The color number is HC-142.

Beautiful blues, Holly!

5. kelly Jones commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:09pm

I totally could have used this link a few days ago! I just painted my front room blue. The color was exactly what i was looking for on the chip, but once I got it up I felt like fainting! I think I’ve just lived with white walls for so long, that I’m now in color shock! The color is just like #1 so maybe It’s ok afterall!

kelly Joness last blog post: Yummy!

6. nichole commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:18pm

I’ve been obsessed with blue lately.

There are so many beautiful blue doors here in Paris. I took many photos as inspiration when I get home. Wherever that may be. ;)

nicholes last blog post: France Online

7. leaca commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:34pm

They have a great site. I have added it to my many to read each day.

leacas last blog post: simply dream–bare feet and flip flops

8. puck commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:37pm

It is hard to photograph a blue entryway when it has so much woodwork in it… but I used Dockside Haze by Valspar. It is a nice pale blue with a touch of gray.

Linkage:

pucks last blog post: Putting a hex on you… (all about hex tile!)

9. Kelley commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 2:45pm

I used Iceberg in my bedroom. It’s perfect: not too pastel and not too gray!

10. Hazel commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:00pm

About 10 years ago we painted the living room blue. It’s a Benjamin Moore colour but I can’t remember the name. It’s closest to the Farrow and Ball Blue Ground.

I’m not so good with downloading to this site but you can see my blue at http://the-clever-pup.blogspot.com/

Hazels last blog post: Red Letter Day

11. Hazel commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:03pm

We painted our living room blue about 10 years ago. It’s a Benjamin Moore, but I forget the colour.

Nothing really matches in our home but the colour is tasteful, kind of like wedgewood.

It’s on my blog. http://the-clever-pup.blogspot.com/

Hazels last blog post: Red Letter Day

12. kbd commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:17pm

Totally fantastic site, thanks Holly!

kbds last blog post: The Stillness of Snow

13. Cailen commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:54pm

I just love the “blues” featured in this blog. They’re stunning yet chic. Currently I’m using a steely gray-blue with a pearl glaze in a designer showhouse bedroom I’m working on – it looks absolutely fabulous! I’ve been blogging about the room I’m designing at http://www.CailenAscher.blogspot.com – check it out!

14. anastasia commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:59pm

i love all shades of blue but when we decided to repaint our home last year we wanted neutral shades but we thought to do a strong feature wall in a dark storm blue in our large family room – because its a wrap around wall the dark shade made it feel like a solid wall – we love it and looks perfect with the neutral shade and white trim
    you can see part of it here

anastasias last blog post:

15. Michelle commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 4:24pm

I’ve been contemplating a blue paint color for my living room, and as I was browsing the chips in Lowe’s, I fell in love with Wave from Eddie Bauer. I really loved the color on the card, but am not sure about it in a much larger scale. Maybe Sea Side would be better.

You can see them both here: http://www.eddiebauer.com/custserv/eddiebauerhome.jsp?pageName=lakeside

And click the link that says “View Lakeside Cottage color swatches.”

Michelles last blog post: I feel like I should make up for this recent discovery by eating a second chocolate bar

16. Heidi Jo O. commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 4:27pm

Thanks for posting this, Holly! Last night I was looking at color swatches because hubby is going to paint our living room this week and I couldn’t decide which blue. I think Heavenly Blue might be just what I am looking for! : )

Heidi Jo O.s last blog post: smitten with SLOUCHY LEGGINGS

17. Jen commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 4:39pm

I love # 1!! This was such a great post. I have been looking for color inspiration to re-paint my hallway!! I think I just might go Ball blue ground!!!

18. Gina Hicks commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 5:40pm

I absolutely love blue– pale blue, turquoise blue, sky blue– I love them and would have my entire house a palette of blues if my husband didn’t protest. My living room is a pale blue that makes me feel so light and happy when the sun washes through the five large windows.http://www.flickr.com/photos/hicks/979796277/ It was inspired by this beautiful room on this swatch card right here http://www.thenest.com/Home-Decor/Living-Room_Blue_White_16684/detailview.aspx?id=16684&type=15&room_type=Living+Room&pageIndex=4

19. sara hughes hathcoat commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 5:53pm

I used no. 3, Benjamin Moore’s Heavenly Blue on a beamed ceiling in the living room of my old house, I miss it. I LOVED it. It was beautiful.

sara hughes hathcoats last blog post: maira kalman ROCKS

20. Kate F. commented
    March 3rd, 2009 at 8:40pm

Our bedroom, the back hall and my office are painted Benjamin Moore’s Woodlawn Blue. I love it; it’s cheerful but not too bright, and it’s not a cold blue at all. You can see it inthe last two pictures in this post

Kate F.s last blog post: (Brussels) Sprout-Fest