Stationery, uncategorized

Lotta Jansdotter + Your Thoughts On Paper?

June 30, 2009

I was reading the Bubb Report this morning and came across these tissue boxes by Lotta Jansdotter and I thought, “If only Kleenex could get with it and give us something like this vs. all those mod boxes that don’t match one single part of my house!” – I mean, I guess it’s a little old fashioned to match the tissue box to the decor of your home (recall the crochet cozies in your grandmother’s bathroom – I sure do), I keep mine in the drawer anyway because they’re so ugly, but if you want to match and leave them out then I like these from Lotta.

Lotta Jansdotter + Your Thoughts On Paper?

My preference is the long flat box in plain white, vs. the round, box, oval and now “fruit wedge” shape that’s taking over tissue aisles across the country. Heck, if you have time on your hands, you could use rubber stamps to stamp a plain white tissue box yourself. When it comes to toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex (and their boxes) I like things high quality yet simplistic in their design. And while world peace should be a concern, and it is, I do spend a little too much time thinking about every little thing that I purchase being both functional and pretty. I just love toilet paper that has those deep white on white almost letterpressed impressions on them. Do you know what I mean? You may not, as I don’t come across it here too often but in Germany they have toilet paper that is so beautiful with these gorgeous patterns deeply impressed into each sheet, I was so impressed. I figure if I have to look at these functional items on a daily basis then why can’t they at least look nice and not tacky. I know… I know you’re thinking I’m crazy right about now.

Lotta Jansdotter + Your Thoughts On Paper?

Lotta Jansdotter + Your Thoughts On Paper?

But back to Lotta because I’m sure she won’t want to read this post and see that the entire topic is around toilet paper and tissue boxes. :) Well it looks like she’s been bitten by the good old scrapbooking bug because now she is carrying some scrapbooks in her online shop which is a great option for her fans. I love the baby pillow and the mini tray in her collection, both shown above. Especially the tray — a personal favorite.

By the way, have you ever watched this ’07 studio tour of her Brooklyn office? I missed it somehow and stumbled upon it a moment ago. I guess I never thought about where she does all of her photography, print work, packaging, etc. but in this video, produced by Etsy, she gives us a tour of an apartment that she converted into, what seems to be, solely her studio space. It’s so inspiring to watch this power woman in action. Psst: If you are in Brooklyn in August, September or October visit Lotta’s studio space to take a printmaking class with her. I’d love to take a printmaking class with someone who has so much experience, especially in their ‘zone’ you know, a classroom in college is fine too but to be in the artist’s space seems a lot more intimate and energizing to me personally. More information about that here.

Okay your turn to dish. Do you care about paper towel patterns, tissue boxes, toilet paper rolls and the like? Or do you think all this focus on product packaging for such mundane things is a bit over rated?

(images: lotta jansdotter)

22 Comments

• Reply Helen X. July 1, 2009 at 12:09 am

Gosh, talk about tissue box! I hide mine all the time, behind the sofa, under the table. The worst thing is I’m really sensitive when it comes to dust, so if only they can make a pretty or just a plain one!
    But, I do save the empty boxes. I cut open the top and use them to organize little things in the kitchen and bathroom (and yes, they stay in the cabinets and drawers). =)
    Anyway, back to Lotta, just LOVE her patterns! LOVE!

• Reply rosa villanueva July 1, 2009 at 12:54 am

i spent a good half hour in the grocery yesterday, comparing toilet paper sizes, price, quality, and pattern. i ended up buying what i bought if only because i loved the pattern on the paper :) afterwards, i felt a bit bad cause i spent too much time on tissue and then i read this. what comfort :)

i LOVED all the featured items … how i wish everything could be as pretty.

• Reply juliette July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am

I do care. Both here and State-side I try to only buy all-white paper towels. Kleenex was always annoying in the US, so I’d just pick the least offensive box and just deal. Over here I have even LESS choice about kleenex boxes. First off 90% are totally rough, and sometimes thin too. The TP is as thick as a paper towel, which weirds me out. I’ve compensated by getting the cheaper (and hecka lotta softer) kleenex and TP from Aldi. TP is white, thankfully. It has butterflies on it =) and my Kleenex boxes from there have seasonal designs, so I’m back to choosing the least offensive box again.

I think what makes box selection worse in Germany is that most people use those little travel packs of kleenex and don’t have a box lying around the house.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Kitchen progress: Eßecke =-.

• Reply Yelena July 1, 2009 at 1:40 am

Oh, how timely! My friend just send this link to me: http://www.mykleenextissue.com

You can design custom Kleenex boxes (choices are many but still limited to what the site offers, but you can add your own photos and copy.

Give it a try!

Yelena

• Reply Travelingmama July 1, 2009 at 3:45 am

First, I just have to say that Lotta’s studio and designs are gorgeous and so inspiring! As to paper products- I am so glad it’s not just me that thinks about this stuff! Here in Morocco they are obsessed with pink toilet paper and it totally grosses me out! For many people toilet paper is optional (personally I have to wonder if I would have to starve first, but it’s a cultural difference that is there nonetheless.) I always buy basic white! And the paper towels here are generally total crap. I found one good brand that has been selling Christmas themed rolls and I have stood there in the grocery store and debated over total crap or Christmas in July. I went Christmas and hid them under the cabinet!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..Corner View: food staples =-.

• Reply visualingual July 1, 2009 at 7:57 am

I love, love, love Lotta’s work!

As for tissues, etc. — I’m probably almost as obsessed as you are. I try to stick with the simpler, less aesthetically offensive options. When tissue manufacturers make “stylish” tissue boxes, the results are often horrible, or at least really specific and don’t work in my home. I’d love for a company to release a line of solid-colored boxes.

I only buy white toilet paper and do agree about the little embossed patterns [I’d love to see some photos of the German toilet paper you mentioned!].
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Cloverleaf Interchange Trivet =-.

• Reply Kathi July 1, 2009 at 8:17 am

So glad to know I am not the only one ! I never have tissues out- can’t find one that is attractive. I love the idea of a plain white one, just can’t go wrong with white! I love the items from Lotta, wonderful choices!

• Reply glurf July 1, 2009 at 9:23 am

I love knowing I am not the only one who obsesses over minutiae (or the only one to feel guilty about it!) I have spent months looking for a perfect, aesthetically pleasing toothbrush holder, and once I find it, I’m going to be forced to buy fancy toothbrushes too. And yes, I’ve already started worried about the tissue box and what to do with it.

It seems like a waste in some ways, but on the other hand, I don’t understand why bad design even exists (or why U.S. tissue boxes must have flowers and birds on them.) I think more and more people are feeling that way.
    .-= glurf´s last blog ..yard candy =-.

• Reply suzanne July 1, 2009 at 9:41 am

I’m all for hiding the tissue boxes in a drawer. The way I see it, why give extra attention to something that is eventually going to be filled with buggies? Gross, I know. But this is how my mind works.

• Reply Dovely July 1, 2009 at 10:41 am

everyone loves lotta! shes such an amazing artist and so generous to the artistic community with her time!
    .-= Dovely´s last blog ..Scented Soy Pear Candle =-.

• Reply alex*galexiegirl July 1, 2009 at 10:45 am

heehee….this made me giggle. i have never been obsessed with toilet paper BUT i’m obsessed with paper towel and kleenex boxes. I really dislike paper towel with watery granny country kitchen images on them (like most of them) and my favorite are Targets generic brand because they have simple little white on white concentric circles (i guess the bulls-eye logo, but it looks more delicate and exactly as you said almost letterpressed!).

I love the long flat kleenex box too but can rarely find them and resort to the tall cubes (what is up with those bizarre fruit shaped ones???). My aunt had this lovely B&W 50s lucite kleenex box holder and because all the new boxes are so overstuff and clunky it wouldn’t fit anymore. She would remove the kleenexes by hand and place them in her lucite holder. THAT’S dedication!

I love Lotta. Thanks for posting these Holly!
    .-= alex*galexiegirl´s last blog ..Vintage Kid’s Books: 60s meets 70s =-.

• Reply alex*galexiegirl July 1, 2009 at 10:47 am

PS
    Once you have a little toddler its hard to hide ’em away. When you are faced with a boogey nose or other tissue-worthy calamities you need access to those suckers FAST! haha
    .-= alex*galexiegirl´s last blog ..Vintage Kid’s Books: 60s meets 70s =-.

• Reply Julie July 1, 2009 at 11:27 am

Hi Holly,
    Can you post some pictures of this German toilet paper? I would love to see the patterns too…

• Reply decor8 July 1, 2009 at 11:41 am

Sure, I’ll post some photos but it will have to be early August because I’m not over there yet. :) If you can remember, visit this post in August and look for another comment and a link from me — I’ll show over at haus maus (http://www.hollymaus.blogspot.com) and put the link here. Or you can just subscribe to the haus maus rss feed and then you’ll get it. :)

• Reply Cherry@NewburghRestoration July 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm

What a cool way to spice up regular boring things!

• Reply Lisa :: the red thread July 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Holly I sooo totally agree with you. For the longest time I have lamented these same design issues. I’m not sure what your choice is like there, but in Australia we have delightful boxes with photos of flowers (but done in a very unappealing way), sea shells, kittens, sandcastles and buckets, oh the list of crimes against design goes on… the manufacturers just don’t seem to get it.
    I would LOVE to be able to buy even a plain white box! We don’t have them here. And a tissue box designed by Lotta?! Sign me up!
    As for toilet paper and kitchen towels – only white embossed make it into our house. Although I feel bad about the environmental impact of products like that. I try to use the paper kitchen towels only when absolutely necessary.
    .-= Lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..Bjork :: Beautiful =-.

• Reply Tammy July 1, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I purposely buy the tissue boxes with prints I would like to incorporate in a scrapbook page or any other crafty project I may be working on. I actually cut out pieces of the boxes and have been know to cut pieces of paper towels to adhere to a page because the pattern was just too perfect!

• Reply Anne July 1, 2009 at 7:45 pm

the tissue boxes are my favourite. I would buy the whole lot of them

• Reply andrea daquino July 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

thanks for the info, i may have to sign up for that!

• Reply Sydney July 7, 2009 at 2:04 am

You know, you got me thinking when you mentioned the toilet paper patterns…

I’d just email you to show you the gorgeous irresistible packaging, but the product itself is not very.. er.. appropriate! But between women, you know… and since all us women deal with this…

In the U.K. there’s actually a new brand of “lady products” but my god, the packaging is lovely, and it’s all CHEAP! The, ahem, liners even have little bows on them, and the tins that come with the goodies at all recyclable.

Oh, it’s all so lovely. I hate having those things float around my purse, so the tins are awesome.
    Moxie:
    The (this feels awkward on a blog!) tampons, even have cute tins. I can’t believe I’m posting this, haahaa, and even my boyfriend thought I was crazy when I went all nutty in the pharmacy!

Haahaahaa. Awe, now I feel silly. x

• Reply Sydney July 7, 2009 at 2:05 am

It’s all about the packaging. -_-‘

• Reply whitney July 7, 2009 at 9:46 am

Yes, yes … YES!! I completely agree and do the exact same thing when it comes to ANY item I purchase. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but I want everything around me to function and be lovely to look at! … even toilet paper! I’m glad I’m not alone…..
    .-= whitney´s last blog ..Recent Finds :: Vessels =-.