Handmade, Rooms

Claire Coles Design

July 7, 2009

I’ve been wanting to talk about my love for the very intricate work of Claire Coles for ages, but she was on so many blogs for so long that I thought I’d wait until the excitement settled before showing her work here. I was peeking in on her website this morning and came across new photos of her work – from bespoke stitched wallpaper to ceramics, prints and brooches Claire has been keeping busy! Aren’t these things just so beautiful?

Claire Coles Design

Claire Coles Design

Claire Coles Design

Claire Coles Design

Her fresh approach to wallpaper design combines vintage wallpapers stitched together to form beautiful things like birds, flowers and furniture and because her work is custom, clients can specify pattern, dimension and color. Some of her most recent commissions include wallpaper designs for Ted Baker and Oasis and textile designs for Anthropologie. Gorgeous!

(images: claire coles)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Nuit July 7, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Wow, this is really lovely. She keeps getting better and better!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..The wonderful world of: Meg Braff! =-.

• Reply simply hue July 7, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Wow…..beautiful! I have never heard of her work and I’m so glad you shared it with us. :)
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Colorful Finds from Linen Me =-.

• Reply SixDifferentWays July 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Beautiful! Love the tea cups
    .-= SixDifferentWays´s last blog ..The Three Little Pigs =-.

• Reply laura trevey July 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I love the sweet birds in a row…
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Custom Listing for Heidi =-.

• Reply Jen @ GreetQ.com July 7, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Amazing! I have to admit I’m a little confused by the teacups. They’re lovely but how’d she do it?! :) And the wallpaper: it must be a painstaking process but the results are beautiful. I think it would look great as a wall accent…
    .-= Jen @ GreetQ.com´s last blog ..Freitag =-.

• Reply jo July 7, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Wow! Her work is absolutely stunning! ?
    .-= jo´s last blog ..Hide n Seek + Heidi Burton + Hadley Hutton =-.

• Reply samantha hahn July 7, 2009 at 3:24 pm

wow….so beautiful. Illustration and surface pattern and craft….what an amazing combination!
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..Lizzie Allen: Hand screenprinted wallpaper =-.

• Reply Macy July 7, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Absolutely perfect! I love them, most especially because I am into these kinds of designs. It’s as if they jumped out of my wishful thinkings. :)
    .-= Macy´s last blog ..third year lla yo. =-.

• Reply Katie Stephenson July 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Wow, I’ve not seen anything like this before. I must have missed the first round of blog love. The faces in wallpaper are too fantastic.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..Gocco Fix from Annaklara =-.

• Reply steven July 8, 2009 at 7:02 am

hey holly, you just confirmed what i secretly knew, that i am actually extremely cool, because back in the day when i owned a little shop here in london, claire coles was one of the designers whose work we stocked, and this was over 5 years ago now, and i can say from meeting her she is really also quite lovely in person.
    .-= steven´s last blog ..from new york to london =-.

• Reply alison July 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm

claire has been a favorite of mine since i first saw her work. it’s so inspiring!

• Reply Andrea Yu July 8, 2009 at 4:01 pm

These are gorgeous! I love the layered look and the line quality of the portraits are flawless. Just lovely.
    .-= Andrea Yu´s last blog ..Precious Little Treasure =-.

• Reply maria July 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm

So lovely
    .-= maria´s last blog ..What I Wore Today: 07.08.09- Sloane Trenches =-.

• Reply veda July 9, 2009 at 3:53 am

so beautiful!
    .-= veda´s last blog ..Oil and Acrylics =-.

• Reply alex sunday July 9, 2009 at 7:58 pm

i saw her “forget me knot” embroidered tables (and cups maybe?) at a graduate show in london in 2003. loved them! no surprises that she’s doing amazing stuff still. :)
    .-= alex sunday´s last blog ..i heart diem chau…. =-.

• Reply aphrochic July 10, 2009 at 8:13 pm

This is just SO special. I LOVE it!

• Reply Nina March 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm