Etsy Faves

I Am A Lady

July 15, 2009

I’m back from the spa and I feel so very pretty, like I should be twirling around singing or something. My hair looks fierce and let me just tell you how sad I am that I found the perfect stylist/colorist two weeks before I relocate! Where has this girl been my whole life? Well if anyone lives in southern New Hampshire or on the MA border and is looking for great hair you have to see my girl. Email me and I’ll give you the deets. It’s hard to find a good colorist here, I’ve been salon hopping for ages, and I usually end up looking very 80s (bad 80s not good 80s) and about 5 years older than I am.

I Am A Lady

When I left the salon with my Giselle hair (someday the body will follow LOL), I felt like a million bucks and ladies, that’s a feeling we all need more often. If you haven’t seen the interior of a day spa in awhile book an appointment and go treat yourself – we all need the hair/mani-pedi/eyebrow/massage thing more often. It’s 88 and sunny here today, so on the way home I hit Starbucks for an iced coffee and turned up Sweet Dreams (this great Beyonce dance remix version) and with my moonroof open I enjoyed every second of it. I’m selling my car next week so I’m trying to squeeze it for all it’s worth. Then I’ll be living the train/bike lifestyle – no car – which I’m fine with but I’m enjoying what I do have while I have it. :) And guess what? When I got home a love letter and card was waiting for me from my dear mother. She’s been pretty much crying for six months since I announced I was relocating abroad and today her lovely letter just warmed and melted my heart. I can’t wait to see her in Boston in a few weeks – she’s coming to see me off and I can’t wait. She was my very best friend growing up and though we’re not as close these days her letter was the greatest most cherished thing – I can’t explain how much it meant to have her beautiful words and blessing for a happy life abroad – she’s accepted it all now and is absolutely thrilled for me and of course, I’m feeling better about relocating too. I guess I was waiting for her approval and didn’t even realize it until I got it. The cutest part is that she wants to come see me and she’s not a traveler by air so of course this is a huge deal for me (and her). We made a deal that since I’ll only be one hour from London by plane, that she can fly direct to London and I’ll meet her there and we’ll fly together down to Hannover. Yay, mom!

I Am A Lady

And by the way, these two lovely prints are from Lauren Nicole Love on etsy, whom I first heard about today via twitter thanks to Michelle at Design Evolution who always tweets me the best stuff. (Love ya, girl). I love this message, empowering and to the point, I Am A Lady! Oh yes, that’s such a good thing to be isn’t it?

(images: lauren nicole love)

• Reply nichole July 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Oooh, I know that feeling! Love it. Nothing better than a fresh head of hair. It ‘s amazing how different you can feel.

Enjoy it! And now you can enjoy listening to 80s music without feeling like you’re dressing the part.

PS. Take a photo and twitpic it!
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Check Out This House =-.

• Reply tula@whorange July 15, 2009 at 4:18 pm

shout it from the rooftops, sister!

• Reply rebecca s. July 15, 2009 at 4:30 pm

what a wonderful feeling! i just love fresh haircuts that look good.

and supportive moms are not too shabby, either. :)

sounds like you have had a great day…
    .-= rebecca s.´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Travelingmama July 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Yeah for the spa! I know what you mean about unknowingly hoping for a parent’s approval. My Dad was really mad at us for taking his grandchildren away and didn’t tell me that he approved of me until after we had lived here for over a year.
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..Corner View: the unveiling: showing your true self =-.

• Reply Amy July 15, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Glad you are feeling awesome! I don’t know how you can stand the anticipation of the big move – so exciting! So happy for you! :-)
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Tumbling… =-.

• Reply Amber July 15, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Too funny that you live in NH, I also live there as well and I just found this blog (love it btw)… still working on getting my blog up and running!
    .-= Amber´s last blog ..School House Rock =-.

• Reply decor8 July 15, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Here you go Nichole:

Though I should have put on some makeup!!

• Reply mati July 15, 2009 at 4:43 pm

oh, holly, i totally hear you on the mom front! living 3,000 miles away from mine in maine. so exciting that you’re moving and you’re exuding fantastic excitement about your hair (ohhh la la giselle) and international move! you rock!

• Reply Julieann July 15, 2009 at 4:50 pm

seriously you are too cute, your hair is so long!!! and your mom, ahh mom’s even when we are strong independent grown up girls we still love to her mom’s approval!! I think I need to go download this Beyonce cd and than book a pamper day : )
    .-= Julieann´s last blog ..DWR Sale – The wheels of the bus are in my garden!! =-.

• Reply decor8 July 15, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Julieann you have to come to Germany to visit me, okay? We can have the best time there – my best pal is a makeup expert and can glam us all up — you’ll love it (and her). Book a flight for next year, you can stay with me! :)

• Reply robin July 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

what a happy post!
    .-= robin´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply sweet fine day/Jenna July 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm

good for you. the day sounds fab. I wish I can follow your lead sometime soon.
    .-= sweet fine day/Jenna´s last blog ..lychee sorbet =-.

• Reply Shanon July 15, 2009 at 5:37 pm

It sounds like you had the most perfect day!

I just clicked on the pic you linked and holy wows, you do have Giselle hair– goodness! Your hubby is gonna jump ya the 2nd you walk in the door. (Or he has already, since now you are on the computer. Hehe)

I love that you had such a great day. It makes my day, being laid up in recovery, not so bad, as I’ll just live vicariously. ; )
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..I *heart* Danita Art =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie July 15, 2009 at 6:27 pm

What a wonderful feeling! I just got my haircut the other day and am still searching for the right person. It’s not just how they cut hair, but how you feel when you are there and when you leave, you know? Sounds like you found the perfect place! Better now than never, right? I hope your time left in the US is as enjoyable as this day was!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Gone Fishing =-.

• Reply stephanie July 15, 2009 at 6:34 pm

You sound like you are doing just great Holly, you have a wonderful optimism and are just glowing! I know it feels better when mom can accept your move too! It’s all good! And do enjoy your car for all it’s worth :)

• Reply Janine July 15, 2009 at 7:10 pm

aww your hair looks so good!! so effortless!
    i figured out how to make my hair look like yours every single day in 5 five minutes or less (hair washed or not!) with a straightener last year. it looks effortless, pretty much is and makes me feel so pritty everyday :)
    i’ve just booked my FIRST ever spa appointment. i’ve never even had one of those 5 minute/$10 massages at the mall hahah so this will be fun. I’m actually booked for an extraction facial (oww!) but i heard that there will be tea & that i will leave looking better than when i came in and who or how could you argue with that!

• Reply gabriellevalentine July 15, 2009 at 7:11 pm

OH! breaks my heart hearing your moving from your mom/best friend. My mom is my best friend and we live far apart. But an hour by air isn’t SO bad…I’m sure she’ll happily make the trip for you & the scenery!
    It is so hard to find a good stylist. I wish you luck finding one in the next city!
    .-= gabriellevalentine´s last blog ..Just Call Her Laura Ingalls. =-.

• Reply decor8 July 15, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Gabrielle – She won’t be living an hour by air sadly, but instead 8-9 hours travel time and about 5,500 miles! Wahhhhhh :(

• Reply kristen b July 15, 2009 at 7:17 pm

holly- what a great post! you have such a great voice as a writer and express yourself so well-whether it’s fun (spa day) or heartfelt (mom stuff). I totally hear ya on both fronts! I’m a long time reader, but almost never comment (shame on me!). I’m so excited for your move overseas. Thanks for sharing it all with us!

• Reply novelista barista July 15, 2009 at 7:25 pm

awe i loveee going to spas!! sounds like a great time :)
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..wishful wednesday =-.

• Reply novelista barista July 15, 2009 at 7:31 pm

could u tell me where u got your blog layout from?! i have been trying to find a really nice one and have yet to!
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..wishful wednesday =-.

• Reply decor8 July 15, 2009 at 7:43 pm

novelista barista – I paid to have someone design it, they are a firm in England called Being Wicked.

• Reply Julieann July 15, 2009 at 7:43 pm

awww you’re too sweet! I will absolutely come for a visit! Maybe I will even treat myself to a stop over at my old home in London!! YEAAA something to look forward to.

• Reply Sarah July 15, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Holly- I really loved this post. Just something about how upbeat, positive and respectful you always are was really refreshing today! You’re one of my must stops everyday and I can’t wait to follow you on your next journey! Cheers!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Watercolors =-.

• Reply Megan July 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Mums are just the best. My mum is also big on cards when she wants to say something heartfelt. Which is just lovely.
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..Vote for Media Features =-.

• Reply Yoli July 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Well good for you! You deserve it sweet Holly!
    .-= Yoli´s last blog ..Alice In Wonderland =-.

• Reply lauren July 15, 2009 at 11:00 pm

hi holly– quick question about the “lady” print. do you know if it’s for sale anywhere? i absolutely love it, but i can’t find it in lauren nicole’s etsy shop. thanks!

• Reply leslie July 15, 2009 at 11:24 pm

After a long day this post has me giggling!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Festive Snapshots =-.

• Reply Yansy July 15, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I’m so glad to hear you’re happy with your hair. I agree with you about how difficult it is to find someone that doesn’t ruin your hair, or makes you look like you belong in the cast of Dallas. I just got a massage this week and I have decided that for now on I will treat myself to two massages per month.

P.S. I wanted to invite you participate in my giveaway. I have a feeling you’re really going to like it. I know how you have a love affair with Butterflies!
    .-= Yansy´s last blog ..Another Design Board For A Client =-.

• Reply Vicki Archer July 15, 2009 at 11:47 pm

A day for hair and spa – essential and very long overdue in my neck of the woods. Actually Friday is my day to do all those ladylike things. Good luck with your move – it is a huge change and challenge but so exciting at the same time, xv.
    .-= Vicki Archer´s last blog ..The Card Drawer… =-.

• Reply Federica July 16, 2009 at 12:21 am

What a wonderful feeling! Your blog is gorgeous! Thank you for all of the hours of enjoyment you’ve given me these past few months.

Please, feel free to visit me at

Greetings from Italy!
    .-= Federica´s last blog ..A new adventure =-.

• Reply Kathy C. July 16, 2009 at 12:49 am

Gosh, I found myself nodding all the time while reading this post.

Love the hair! It’s rolled-out-of-bed-gorgeous. Yes, we could all use the Gisele hair even if the body will follow much later (hopefully!). :) A good stylist is worth their weight in gold. I found an amazing colorist 2 years ago and was so sad when he went AWOL. The salon where he was working didn’t know what happened to him either.

Your spa time sounds so wonderful, topped by a great card from you mom and your empowering “I’m so fab” ride in your car and coffee!

Have a great move to the other side of the pond and I’m hoping you find an equally good stylist there. Maybe you should put out a Tweet that you’re looking for a good stylist in Hanover. You’re bound to get a lot of recommendations. :)
    .-= Kathy C.´s last blog ..INSPIRATIONAL WEDNESDAYS: SERENITY =-.

• Reply Rachel July 16, 2009 at 5:53 am

I saw your Twitpic,your hair looks shampoo-commercial good. And I have a touch of envy…I’m desperate for a day at the salon.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..There’s Something in the Air =-.

• Reply Jennifer July 16, 2009 at 6:21 am

It’s scary and exhilirating all at the same time. The furtherest I lived from my mum was a 9 hour flight and I did that for 3 years. Much to her disgust it’s been 14 years since I lived “round the corner” but it’s OK. You both will survive. Your post today makes me think of that old Helen Reddy song – I can hear you roar from here.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..All Things French =-.

• Reply lauren nicole love July 16, 2009 at 9:13 am

thank you for featuring my work. you’re a doll! love your blog. there’s just so much PRETTY!

– lauren nicole xoxo

• Reply Amy July 16, 2009 at 10:59 am

Now I really want to get my hair done, thanks ;)
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..personal =-.

• Reply Marjolijn July 16, 2009 at 11:02 am

Hello there!
    I just wanted to let you know that your blog has been mentioned in the latest issue of the Belgian/Flemish interior-magazine ´Actief Wonen´! Maybe you knew this already?
    Many greetings, Marjolijn
    .-= Marjolijn´s last blog ..He and I… =-.

• Reply decor8 July 16, 2009 at 11:08 am

Marjolijn; Thank you for letting me know — this is exciting news! Do you have a photo of the cover of the magazine and also of the page where it was mentioned? I’d love it if you could send that to me via email. My address is Holly @ decor8blog DOT com. Thank you so much!!!!

• Reply Flassie July 16, 2009 at 11:10 am

I knew you were a lady already.

So cute that you feel like twirling or
    singing. I had to giggle about that.

One day on one of my walks months
    ago I felt like twirling around and round.
    Thought someone would think I was crazy
    if I did though. lol!

Guess what happened next? While on my
    way back home there was a little girl
    waiting for the bus with her father and
    she was twirling round and round. lol!

I guess God was listening to my hearts
    desire and gave me the next best!

God Bless You and Yours!!!
    .-= Flassie´s last blog ..{~*~Porta Potty Pitch 4 Pino~*~} =-.

• Reply Mimi July 16, 2009 at 11:13 am

What a beautiful post…I had tears in my eyes reading about the love story between you and your mom. Sounds like you’re having a perfect day…
    All the very best to you!
    .-= Mimi´s last blog ..Bleu treillage a la Miles Redd… =-.

• Reply katie July 16, 2009 at 11:18 am

i couldn’t find the i am a lady print anywhere in the artist’s etsy shop ~ can you assist? i would LOVE it for my baby girl’s bedroom. thank you!

• Reply decor8 July 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Hi Katie and others looking for the prints – Contact the seller directly through her etsy shop — she’ll be able to better assist you. Thanks!

• Reply maria July 16, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’m glad you had a wonderful day at the spa!!

Such happy illustrations!!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..What I Wore Today: 07.16.09- The Great Outdoors =-.

• Reply nina renee designs July 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm

What a lovely post…it made me smile picturing all the details in my head :-)
    .-= nina renee designs´s last blog ..So Cute Gift: Nantucket Basket Purses =-.

• Reply lauren nicole love July 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm

the print is available here:

• Reply Tina July 21, 2009 at 6:42 am

I live in Raymond, NH and have been looking for a good stylist. Any help would be much appreciated. Especially since I need to look my best for my up coming job interview.