Arts + Crafts, Home Tours

It’s All In The (Petits) Details

July 21, 2009

I have such a lovely French space to share with you today, it’s a 2 bedroom home belonging to a talented blogger and crafting goddess who lives near Paris that I found on Flickr. These lovely images belong to one of my contacts, Shannon Dreval aka Petite Details, and I asked her if I could share some of her nooks with you today. This charming space, filled with gorgeous vintage finds, belongs to Shannon (who is American), her French husband and 3-year-old son. They have such a cozy space — it feels like there is so much love and many fine memories being built in this space which attracted me to it in the first place.

It's All In The (Petits) Details

Shannon told me about some of her inspirations, “Vintage objects of all kinds inspire me, especially those that show signs of use or age, including old textiles, dishes, kitchen utensils, and sewing notions. Magazines, books, and blogs are also sources of unending inspiration.” She also admits that making a house feel like a home is easy — just surround yourself with loved ones, objects that you love and, “the smell of delicious home cooking wafting from room to room.” Doesn’t that paint such a delicious mental image? :) I hope she’s serving fresh baked chocolate croissants.

It's All In The (Petits) Details

Her many lovely things are sourced at flea markets, thrift shops, antiques stores, and garage sales. When I asked Shannon if she had a favorite room in her home she replied, “Oh yes… my favorite room is the kitchen. I’m not a very good cook (fortunately my husband likes to cook) and it’s a really small space, but it’s filled with some favorite vintage objects collected over the years. I find them nice to look at, they stir up good memories, and they’re practical, too.”

It's All In The (Petits) Details

It's All In The (Petits) Details

My final question for Shannon when we chatted through email was this… What do you like to do at home? I always love to ask this question because I find that everyone has little things they cherish that is unique to them and their family. “I love to spend time with my husband and son, sew with vintage and contemporary fabrics, figure out ways to restore and reuse vintage things, and I enjoy reading books that allow me to travel the world without ever leaving home,” she said. I love her answer. To travel the world without leaving home… that’s a very nice thought don’t you think?

(images: shannon/petits details)

32 Comments

• Reply leslie July 21, 2009 at 10:38 am

Totally gorgeous!
    I love how her home is photographed too… Especially the photograph with the red buttons it is incredible…all of it is so nice!!!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..More Pink Lemonade =-.

• Reply mein July 21, 2009 at 10:43 am

Love! Inspired by the tea towels & haberdashery!

• Reply Ulla V. July 21, 2009 at 10:53 am

It’s a very talented woman you found. I have enjoyed her beautiful work on flickr and her blog for a long time, and every time I feel so inspired by her things.
    She has a very fine way of making her work completely finished – no loose threads hanging out or someting like that, and always, always beautifully and neatly ironed.

You asked her some great questions – and got some interesting answers. :)
    .-= Ulla V.´s last blog ..This goes on the white dress… =-.

• Reply tiffany July 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

Wow, gorgeous! I love her aesthetic, so very sweet.
    .-= tiffany´s last blog ..friday’s confession =-.

• Reply Kate July 21, 2009 at 11:04 am

This is a great space and I totally agree that it’s all in the details and if you can find fabulous things on the cheap (like from flea markets) it almost makes them more of a joy to be around than if they’re expensive…is that weird?
    I just redecorated my college student sister’s first apartment in NYC with really cheap details, some that I made myself http://www.mrkate.com/2009/07/21/avenue-c-a-p-t/ and I wrote a blog about it (on my new blog http://www.mrkate.com), I would love for people to check it out and let me know what they think, I’m very proud. Thanks!!

• Reply Laura July 21, 2009 at 11:15 am

wow she has beautiful images. And I completely agree that books, magazines and blogs are endless inspiration! I love finding vintage things and wondering what the people were like that used the item before me.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Josh + Wendy =-.

• Reply lovelyvelo July 21, 2009 at 11:17 am

très jolie, merci!
    .-= lovelyvelo´s last blog ..{tennis anyone?…} =-.

• Reply Tanya July 21, 2009 at 11:33 am

What a beautiful, inviting home. I love her use of neutrals that have some gray in them. Really makes objects around it stand out.
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..Mirror, mirror on the wall……… =-.

• Reply Mimi July 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

To travel the world without leaving home….That is a lovely thought. I love the thought of living in the south Italy sooo much, but haven’t had the chance to go..I often try to re-creative Al fresco dining…Italian meals, wine, flowers even music. I know it sounds corny, but it’s really a lot of fun for the entire family…Until the real thing comes along. Thank for taking us through a lovely tour of a French apartment…I really love the photograph of the thread in the most beautiful box!
    .-= Mimi´s last blog ..Home office luxury – sleek & chic… =-.

• Reply Nuit July 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

Oh my! this home is full of treasures! I am so inspired…..
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..The Man: Ken Fulk =-.

• Reply dee July 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Very nice indeed.

• Reply Du Buh Du Designs July 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Such subtle beauty in the ivory,silver and red colored objects:) My favorites would be that painting of the gentleman and the red and white bowls~these are all lovely~
    .-= Du Buh Du Designs´s last blog ..Art Dolls Only Challenge: The Four Elements =-.

• Reply kbd July 21, 2009 at 12:22 pm

hi Holly

I haven’t been able to check out your blog for a while and was catching up today… I see you’re moving to Germany. I’m sure you will have many happy adventures there! As someone who has moved country, I know its a big move, sometimes tough but it just adds a richness to your life. New friends, new favourite places, new ideas, new discoveries… best of luck on the move itself, and I hope you settle in quickly (I’m sure you will, though, as you are really half moved there anyway!)

I’ll be thinking of you
    Kirstey

PS: Don’t feel obliged to post this message.
    .-= kbd´s last blog ..The Icing on the Tart =-.

• Reply kasey at thriftylittleblog July 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Those are such beautiful images… all so inspirational. She is very talented!
    .-= kasey at thriftylittleblog´s last blog ..Buying the House… Part 4! =-.

• Reply leaca July 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm

vintage items are inspiring. i love her answer to your final question.
    .-= leaca´s last blog ..simply shoot–Shutter Sisters =-.

• Reply maria July 21, 2009 at 12:40 pm

What a lovely place! I adore all the vintage details.
    .-= maria´s last blog ..What They Wore Today: 07.21.09- Vintage Children’s Clothing =-.

• Reply maria July 21, 2009 at 1:24 pm

What a lovely place! I adore all the vintage details.
    Ooops, should have said great post! Waiting for the next one!

• Reply Jessie July 21, 2009 at 1:38 pm

oh adorable pictures! :)
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Butterfly Trio =-.

• Reply nichole July 21, 2009 at 1:40 pm

wow, wow, WOW! Eye candy galore. Good find. ;)
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Take On Me. Literally. =-.

• Reply yansy July 21, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Holly- Thanks for sharing these lovely pics with us. This home its magnificent. How lucky is she to live in such a beautiful city.
    .-= yansy´s last blog ..Designing Life on Etsy =-.

• Reply The Shutter July 21, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Off to find her work on Flickr. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= The Shutter´s last blog ..Cottage Life =-.

• Reply The Designer Insider July 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I have spent numerous vacations in Paris and am inspired by all things French. Thanks for reminding me of why I love France so much!

• Reply Cheryl July 21, 2009 at 4:03 pm

A westerner taking root in Paris and her lovely space speaks to her fine transition. I think we could all live without borders, whether we choose to recreate and be where we are or we take flight and explore other landscapes. The vintage clean style I love in these photos, inviting, cheerful with that lived in cherished look that isn’t cluttered but not random either — such an art to accomplish that. I feel taught today. Thank you. And I wish you great energy in this transition, Holly, feels right to me.

• Reply Little Lovables July 21, 2009 at 4:42 pm

lovely photos of a lovely home! sounds like a sweet family

• Reply Minnie July 21, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Oh, what a great find. Thank you for sharing such lovely images and the rewarding interview. I enjoy seeing how other people display and use their vintage treasures.
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..To see the light, the glorious light =-.

• Reply alisa July 21, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Her use of beige and red together is très jolie! Ahhh, Paris.
    .-= alisa´s last blog ..Summery patterns will make your bed. =-.

• Reply Amy at The Red Chair Blog July 21, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Great images! I love the use of the vintage toy trucks as storage.
    .-= Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..The Alternative Home Decor Database =-.

• Reply Sam July 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Can I move, yesterday?

Perfection!

xx,
    Sam @PrettyLovely

• Reply Alison Gibbs July 21, 2009 at 9:12 pm

To travel the world without leaving home is what we bloggers do every day – so special
    Alison

• Reply Kim July 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Theres so many great things in these photos! I love those bowls in the first picture and the little red firetruck! So cute!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Fascinating Facts =-.

• Reply Farmgirl Susan July 22, 2009 at 7:52 am

What a wonderful home. The photos are beautiful – I love everything about them. I just discovered your blog, and I’m already so inspired. Thank you! :)
    .-= Farmgirl Susan´s last blog ..Tuesday Farm Photo: Caution, Love Underfoot =-.

• Reply petits détails July 23, 2009 at 8:14 am

Hi Holly — thank you so much for your kind words, this very generous post, and the unlimited inspiration that you provide via decor8. Merci bien !
    .-= petits détails´s last blog ..Une Petite Pochette =-.