Feinedinge & Austria On My Mind

I’ve talked about Feinedinge back in ’06 and again last year when I got to see it up close and personal during a trip to Hamburg, but when Joy posted some of her new vases recently I just had to make sure I bookmarked these new finds here using my blog. Ceramicist Sandra Haischberger has some gorgeous new additions to her line as you can see below. She also occupies a most lovely studio in Vienna (a city I’m dying to visit someday, along with Salzburg); seeing it in these little photos below makes me want to jump on a plane tonight just to go visit her shop and practice my German. I think I may plan a trip to Austria later this year, I heard the holiday markets are gorgeous there… anyone have any tips on when is the best time to see Austria?

Feinedinge

Feinedinge

Her creations are meticulous, I own one lovely piece from her but now I want a vase too. Oh the desire of “wanting” never seems to go away, does it? Feinedinge is sold worldwide, for a shop near you visit this page.

(images: feinedinge)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on July 22, 2009

1. Agnes commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 12:52pm

My sister lived in Salzburg for a year and she loved it, and thought that the winter time was a wonderful time to see Austria at its best. :)
    .-= Agnes´s last blog ..Rose and Radish =-.

2. Melissa commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 1:05pm

The holiday markets in Vienna are well worth the trip. The markets generally start at the end of November. Vienna has several and each one has a different feeling. The biggest is Rathaus, in front of city hall. Close to it is the one in Maria Theresien Platz which is right in front of the Musemsquarter. I was there the week of Thanksgiving last year and there was an indie art fair at the Museumsquartier. Also close is Spittelberg Market (Make sure you try the potato cakes there!) and there is one at Schonnbrunn Palace and Karlsplatz. I prefer traveling in fall and winter but you have to be prepared for cold and snow.

3. decor8 commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 1:05pm

Oh this sounds so wonderful, maybe I’ll go around the end of November then. :)

4. Elise commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 1:16pm

I know you wanted to plan the trip for later in the year, but if you can (or must) wait, May is a gorgeous time to go. Everything is green and flowers are blooming everywhere, and you don’t have to deal with the ick that is a city in the winter.

5. AmandaMuses commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 2:42pm

Austria, especially Salzburg and Vienna are great in the summertime! Sounds like you should visit the winter holiday markets and then go for another visit next summer.
    .-= AmandaMuses´s last blog ..Craving… =-.

6. Katie commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 3:31pm

Please consider including Innsbruck on your list of cities in Austria to visit. It has a very different feel from Vienna and Salzburg. It is in the Alps and simply incredibly beautiful. I was there doing a study abroad that went from October to February. I loved the Fall, and I loved the Christmas markets during the holidays. I think I can safely say that you’ll find it lovely at any time of year. I would love to go back and visit some day.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..The Fourth =-.

7. Bess commented
    July 22nd, 2009 at 4:24pm

Ooooo, Feinedinge looks lovely – how have I not stumbled upon her shop yet?!
    Vienna is at it’s best in the Summer and at Christmas time. The weather in the Summer is perfect and with the Donau river running through the city there are lots of fun places to swim. There is so much to do outside, from picnicking in the parks, to happening upon street festivals, to shopping in the 7th district. At Christmas, the markets are wonderful and the city is so beautifully lit during those dark cold days. The best markets (in my opinion) to visit are the ones where they sell mostly handmade goods, namely, Spittelberg and Karlsplatz. You can drink gluhwein and eat all manner of Austrian delicacies! Hope to see you soon!
    .-= Bess´s last blog ..Animal Alphabet Print =-.

8. Lillian commented
    July 23rd, 2009 at 3:40am

I live in Vienna… it´s very beautiful right before Xmas with all the markets and the lighting.. but it´s also very very cold and grey. I´d prefer spring… did you know Vienna is a city where lilac grows nearly everywhere? It´s beautiful in May/June. If you need more information just drop me an email. I´d be more than happy to go for a coffee with you here in Vienna! :)
    .-= Lillian´s last blog ..Sommer, jetzt =-.

9. juliette commented
    July 23rd, 2009 at 4:34am

I’ve been to Austria in spring and fall and have to say spring is my favorite since the whole countryside is in bloom! I can see a winter city not being too fun with the slush, but I’ll bet the markets make up for it! I love the Keramik factory in Gmunden (upper Austria lake district) and they have 3 levels of factory discount sales there. =) The spa in Bad Ischl is a real treat if you have an extra day to spare! We went with my parents last fall and had a blast! Those spa things are also fun in the winter when there’s snow everywhere and you’re outside in a thermal pool with snow landing in your hair =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Rearranging the sofa: 4 times a charm! =-.

10. EB Finds commented
    July 23rd, 2009 at 7:08am

Love Austria. I am due a trip back there, and this shop will be a must stop! Trying to decide if I want to travel with or without kids!
    .-= EB Finds´s last blog ..History Lane =-.

11. Christine commented
    July 23rd, 2009 at 5:14pm

swoon–Sandra is after my heart!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..*sigh* =-.

12. Mrs M. commented
    July 26th, 2009 at 8:11pm

Her work is very very nice and there are always news creations…

13. Sarah Wolfgang commented
    July 27th, 2009 at 4:23am

I grew up in Austria, near Innsbruck. It’s a beautiful country! Your post made me even more homesick than I already am. If you decide to visit the Alps, go in the fall. The mountains are breathtaking in the fall and the air is so crisp and clear. And please drink come fresh mountain water for me – there’s nothing like it!
    .-= Sarah Wolfgang´s last blog ..cosa verde: think big, shop small =-.

14. Dani commented
    July 27th, 2009 at 10:19am

there are more and more lovely shops to see:

15. Karina commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 10:45am

Luck you! I’m brazilian. The distance and the language are so unfair! Just make me dream with that beauty.