uncategorized

Musical Thursday

July 23, 2009

Hello friends! So for today’s Musical Thursday I’m sharing a selection of tunes that are keeping me company as I rummage through my attic and continue packing and organizing my home. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I am this week!

Musical Thursday

A. Florence & The Machine: Lungs

B. Michael Jackson: Hello World – The Motown Solo Collection (outstanding album!)

C. 2raumwohnung: Lasso

D. Kate Miller-Heidke: Curiouser

E. coeur de pirate

F. Pitbull: I Know You Want Me (single, fun to dance to)

G. Cascada: Evacuate The Dancefloor

H. Kelly Sweet: We Are One

I also cannot stop listening to Send Me An Angel from Real Life in 1989, I remember being in school listening to this in the hallway between classes on my walkman. :) Watch this video for a little synth pop action and a definite blast from the past.

(images from individual artists and amazon)

You Might Also Like

22 Comments

• Reply Jennifer July 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

500 days of Summer has an awesome soundtrack.

• Reply Lesley Denford July 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Ooooh, I LOVE Coeur de Pirate too! That album is so lovely. I saw her perform in Toronto for the first time back in June and got to meet her. So fab!
    I’ve got a couple of pics here…
    .-= Lesley Denford´s last blog ..Wreck This Journal :: Week 6 =-.

• Reply Jessie July 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I can never get enough of Cascada! Always keeps me moving and motivated for ANY reason!
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Spotted! =-.

• Reply jodi July 23, 2009 at 4:10 pm

okay. so after one listen on myspace, i think i’m in love with coeur de pirate.
    .-= jodi´s last blog ..{247/365} cooling off =-.

• Reply samantha hahn July 23, 2009 at 4:58 pm

nice round-up!!!
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..Purplethum: Surface Pattern Design Co. =-.

• Reply Karen M. Andersen July 23, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hi Holly :) I love it when you feature Aussie talent on your blog, like Kate Millerr-Heidke in this post and Dandi in the post below. It’s so great that others appreciate the fabulousness we have here in Australia, so good on you and thank you! LOVE how you are a fan of “Real Living” mag too :)

Karen xx

• Reply decor8 July 23, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Karen oh yes, I’m a big Aussie lover for sure. I’m DYING to visit there someday. I’m a huge Real Living fan, I wish I could live inside of that magazine!

• Reply Jim Gianoulis July 23, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Holly,
    Have I got some recommendations for you. These are some of my faves at the moment, and most are newer bands, i am a huge shoegaze/dream pop/retro fan, so all of these bands remind me of someone else, but are unique at the same time.

Metric – Fantasies – leading in my best of year vote for now.
    Au Revoir Simone – Still Night, Still Light – dream pop heaven
    White Lies – To Lose My Life – best Joy Division-esque band in a long time
    Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – neck and neck with Metric for cd of year
    Portishead – Third – beth Gibbons voice gives me shivers. In a good way.
    Passion Pit – Manners – One of Boston’s own, check out song “Reeling”. I dare you not to dance.
    Air France – No Way Down – This cd just makes me feel good. Love it.

Thats all for now, hope you find something in there that you like.

Jimmo

• Reply decor8 July 23, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Jim HI! I can’t believe that you posted on my blog — I’ve known you since I was 14 years old so this is like the biggest blast from the past ever. Thank you so much for dropping in and saying hello. I LOVE your picks, I’m familiar with a few of them but now I have to google these people.

Thanks Jimmo. :)

• Reply Skye July 23, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Holly, we seem to have similar music tastes. :) I try to put my song of the day on Twitter (@SkyeWays) you know, the song that you really can’t get out of your head at that moment. Anyway you should check out my friends band at http://www.radioink.com.au, some fun pop tunes there. Thanks for your music and for your blogs. Good luck with the move. I am looking forward to some more pics from your German apartment!

• Reply Turquoise July 23, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I totally dig Pitbull, too. LOL!

And by the way…Jimmo and I have the same taste.

See my mixes on my blog…a few are already featured on there.

• Reply Lara Jane July 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I love music recommendations! Can’t wait to check these out!

Pop over to my blog… the latest post was about my new favorite band. I want everyone to know about them so they’ll be able to come play near me. Is that so selfish? LOL
    .-= Lara Jane´s last blog ..The Civil Wars =-.

• Reply ro July 24, 2009 at 12:31 am

mmmmm, yes, coeur de pirate, absolutely beautiful! I love the innocent and nostalgic quality of the music video…does Beatrice remind anyone else of the lead character in the movie Amelie?

• Reply Leslie July 24, 2009 at 7:20 am

Ahh Kate Miller-Heidke she is wonderful!! The world needs to know about her!!
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Neverending story print =-.

• Reply Afi July 24, 2009 at 9:46 am

I really loved “Coeur de pirate” …So soothing and positive :) Thank you for sharing Holly, this song by Dido is very nice too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3onLLM2-Ns
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..Snails 8/33 and 9/33 =-.

• Reply Genelle July 24, 2009 at 11:07 am

Cascada — that’s my kind of music! Thanks for sharing!!!
    .-= Genelle´s last blog ..Miss You Dog, Card =-.

• Reply Agnes July 24, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Hey Holly, thanks for such fun musical updates!! I love them, you have lovely taste! Have you listened to Owl City? Its sort of like musical appliances singing love songs to each other, but fun. :) Fun band.
    .-= Agnes´s last blog ..Posy =-.

• Reply decor8 July 24, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Agnes that’s a riot, now I have to google them. Thanks for the tip. :)

• Reply Maddy July 27, 2009 at 11:14 am

Florence and the machine are awesome.

I totally agree with some of Jim’s picks… Metric’s album is easily best of the year – they were great live when I saw them the other week. I’d agree with checking out Au Revoir Simone and Phoenix as well. On top of that, I’d add Smile Smile – I found them when they opened up for Metric, and they were probably the best opening band I’d ever heard.
    .-= Maddy´s last blog ..Lovely Dresses from Martina Liana =-.

• Reply Bethanie July 27, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Thanks again for the music choices, as per usual I LOVE them all! Perfect for creating and enjoying a monday afternoon! :D

• Reply Fallon July 29, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I really love your music choices! I always mind something new that I love. Thanks for sharing =)
    .-= Fallon´s last blog ..Look Book: Prada, Fall/Winter 2009 =-.

• Reply Amir Thompson June 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Awesome track, I really enjoy listening to it!