Caravans Are Hot!

I’m seeing lots of caravans lately… in print, online, in photography, on clothing, caravans are hot! And they’re not used only as design motifs, real life caravans (well in Europe they’re called that, here in the states we usually refer to them as travel trailers) are a hot new trend popping up all over – a bit of a home away from home with unlimited decorating possibilities. Here’s a few caravans to inspire you today in case you haven’t noticed them yet — surely you will now.

Caravan Trend

a. Ken enjoyed the peace and quiet by Yellow Monday, b. the caravan exhibition by Seaspray Blue, c. image from No Chintz, d. caravan series by Leah Giberson, e. Remember Happiness by Vol. 25, f. fabric from Leanne Graeff and g. Metal caravan.

Caravan Trend

Or how about the Mehrzeller concept caravan? I prefer the vintage gypsy wagons myself, or the American classic Airstream but if you’re a modernist this one will dazzle (and confuse) passerbys on the interstate for sure!

Caravan Trend

These caravans are so sweet… Imagine owning one and keeping it in the backyard as an traveling art studio that you could bring to fairs if you are a painter/crafter? So cute! Psst: Here’s a great article in the London Telegraph today about Caravans of Love that you may enjoy.

Where are you seeing caravans lately? Would you like to own one? How would you use it – vacation, staycation in the backyard, for business???

(images linked to sources above)

Posted by decor8 in trends on July 30, 2009

1. Marie Cole commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:07am

How cute are those? But you did forget the Airstream aka Baked Potato! ;) I think packing up my family and traveling this way would be fun, good way to see America.
    .-= Marie Cole´s last blog ..Art That Sticks =-.

2. decor8 commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:07am

Marie – No it’s there — I mentioned it. :)

3. tara g commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:08am

holly – http://whatcitystudio.etsy.com also has some really cool illustrations of campers!

great picks – makes me want to take a road trip!

tara
    .-= tara g´s last blog ..* featuring the vintage kitchen * =-.

4. Kate commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:10am

I’d love to have a travelling artist studio in one! The idea of taking my work on the road around the country is lovely :)
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Reiss =-.

5. Hannahpianna commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:11am

Its all about ‘Glamping’!!!
    we are going here: http://www.jollydaysluxurycamping.co.uk/index.php can’t wait! :)

6. Uncle Beefy commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:11am

They ARE popping up everywhere, huh, Holly? Is it because it feels like a nod to simpler times? Are we just all so stressed out that “holiday” is what comes most to mind? I don’t know what the psychological implications are but I am fully on board!

I’d be content with one parked in my backyard as a little retreat. A place to do a little art making and whatnot. But also biz related would be super sweet! Can you imagine me? With “The Cupcake Caravan”?!! Lord have mercy! (Someone’s gonna steal that idea, huh?)

7. decor8 commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:14am

Beefy a cupcake caravan is fab. With the amount of people who read this blog you will no doubt hear of one in a city near you! LOL You have to start one Beef!

8. Maria commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:28am

It’s funny you decided to blog about caravans. I just came across this blog last week
    (sorry, I have yet to figure out links)
    I am so in love with this little play house!

9. Patrizia commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:31am

SO cute! Great post/article! I think a little vintage caravan as a small tea house or “cupcake caravan – Uncle Beefy would be amazing!
    .-= Patrizia´s last blog ..B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful =-.

10. vanessa joie commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:42am

A cupcake caravan you say? I spotted this cutie down the street from my house. It says “enjoy cupcakes”… I love the little curtains on the windows. http://u.nu/5wfp
    .-= vanessa joie´s last blog ..a strawberry house =-.

11. Kim commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:45am

Those last two are adorable! So quaint! And I love all of the artwork!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Swimming In The Rain =-.

12. vanessa joie commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:45am

A cupcake caravan you say? I spotted this little cutie down the street from my house: http://u.nu/5wfp I love the little curtains in the windows and the “Enjoy Cupcakes!” on the front.

13. decor8 commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:51am

If I designed a cupcake caravan it most certainly would require cupcake hubcaps!

14. becky from hatch commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:57am

Sundance had a GORGEOUS one a few years back:

A few of my friends have some fantastic airstreams in their backyards. My friend Suzannah (http://osuzannahnews.blogspot.com/), who uses hers for camping and lives on some serious acreage, decked hers out in Orla Kiely and other pretty touches.

15. jess commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:00am

I would happily live in a gypsy caravan, although given my location it might not be the best place to spend the winter. Perhaps I’d have to load it up on a flatbed and take it to a warmer climate for part of the year.

These are some of my favorites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11953497@N06/2124814173/
    .-= jess´s last blog ..Product Review: Villainess Whipped! =-.

16. Andrea commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:04am

I’ve been trying to buy an older via 1970′s one of these all summer. I was planning to put next to my house as a studio. I was planning to gut the inside, open it up completely, install skylights and put down salvaged hardwood floors and walls. The walls stained white and the floors like a doily (like this… http://www.sfgirlbybay.com/2009/07/29/time-out-with-erin-floor-it/ )… Alas all have been working models and therefore out of my range price wise. Maybe next summer!
    Andrea
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..Breathe Deeply =-.

17. Du Buh Du Designs commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:12am

I did a post involving my dolls with a caravan that my husband built for me:)

The latest Jeanne Bayol Book on Caravans is fantastic by the way :)
    .-= Du Buh Du Designs´s last blog ..Ladybug, Ladybug, Fly Away Home.. =-.

18. vol25 commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:15am

This is an excellent post Holly, thanks so much for including my little blue trailer! You totally made getting up this morning easier. ;)

All these cute trailers, definitely makes me want to go camping. :) smores anyone?

Andrea, your studio idea sounds wonderful. You should definitely blog your adventure, I’d be on board for that one! :) I’m going to head on over and visit your blog now. Hope you have some coffee on, I could use it this morning!
    .-= vol25´s last blog ..blog re-design and august’s featured blog! =-.

19. maria commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:24am

I want a retro metal bullet trailer!!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..Pay it Forward and a New Blog Award =-.

20. val commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 11:55am

indeed they are! a couple of great jewlers a.k.a. Figs & Ginger, use one as their working space. here’s one of my fave caravan as a birdhouse! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22317881
    & this necklace by Silverlady http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14352836
    i would ? one for vacation purposes :)

21. Sarah commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Hi Holly: I love caravans and my dream is to ‘do up’ an Airstream classic and use it in my backyard as an office/extra TV/Reading room…I think it would make a great guest room too. Oh to dream…I’m even thinking of eventually living in one after retiring – part time in Florida or SC…no mortgage!! :)
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Pretty Decorative Accessories… =-.

22. leisure forte commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 2:34pm

I love the modern 2001 space Odyssey Trailer!!
    .-= leisure forte´s last blog ..PALAIS DE LA MEDITERRANEE, NICE FRANCE =-.

23. Frugal Bon Vivant commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 2:35pm

Reminds me of that book “Two Caravans” by Marina Lewycka Too cute!
    .-= Frugal Bon Vivant´s last blog ..Puma Sample Sale at Rue La La =-.

24. jo commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:03pm

I love, love, love vintage caravans, and have long dreamed of renovating one in the style of a Rice catalogue : )

Happy travels Holly, looking forward to all the European goodness you will be sharing once you are settled x jo
    .-= jo´s last blog ..Monkey Puzzle Press + Frank Gonzales + Blaze Danielle Bratcher =-.

25. Cheryl commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:48pm

I love all of your etsy finds!! Thanks for sharing! My husband and I recently purchased a 1959 Shasta, and he’s recording all of the renovations in his blog: http://reddirtshasta.blogspot.com/ .

I can’t wait for it to be ready for our first camping trip in September!
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Polishing the Z Stripe =-.

26. Lisa Falzon commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 5:10pm

I think caravans are super super sweet especially the old fashioned ones.. however where I live, there is a big stigma against ‘travellers’ which would keep me from getting one to actually go around in.

Sad but true!
    .-= Lisa Falzon´s last blog ..She felt Such Joy =-.

27. maggie commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 6:23pm

There is a wonderful fairytale artist, Rima Staines, who lives in one in the UK. Her blog is here: http://intothehermitage.blogspot.com/
    .-= maggie´s last blog ..Little silly sketches =-.

28. Annie May commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 7:56pm

These are great!!!! I’ve always wanted to design sculptural caravans…can you imagine an RV park full of “art” caravans…it would be like a sculpture garden and the new “art” hotel! Love it! Safe travels!
    .-= Annie May´s last blog ..Now Imagine Your Holiday Home! =-.

29. Kathleen commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 8:20pm

Check out this site for caravan t-shirts.

30. Kathleen commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Oops forgot to add the site. Check out renoenvy.com for caravan t-shirts

31. Brandi commented
    July 30th, 2009 at 8:31pm

I absolutely love this idea! It would be so cool to have one of these in my backyard — I’d use it as a work area/office. It’d be perfect with a cute little desk, chair, and lots of bookshelves…

32. suzanne commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 11:45am

oooh i love caravans! in my fantasy world i’d like to have 3… one in my backyard (also a fantasy since i love in an apartment) as a little studio/getaway retreat… one to go traveling/camping with… and one to use as a neighbourhood lemonade/cookie stand!
    .-= suzanne´s last blog ..baby steps =-.

33. Elissa commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 10:20am

speaking of cupcake caravans, anyone ever see “hey cupcake” in Austin?

.-= Elissa´s last blog ..I Love Upstate! =-.

34. lemelimelodeval commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 12:18pm

Hello,

To complete the post 17, you can glance at more photos of gypsy caravans from Jeanne Bayol here: http://www.les-verdines.com/accueil.htm
    .-= lemelimelodeval´s last blog ..Tarte de Linz- Tarta de Linz – Linz Tart =-.

35. Kelly Walden commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 6:25pm
  36. Davin commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 2:09pm

I love gypsy caravans! They always remind me of Danny champion of the World, by Roald Dahl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny,_the_Champion_of_the_World)
    .-= Davin ´s last blog ..A Gray Day =-.

37. Elaine commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 2:43pm

We wrote about this cool caravan too! Isn’t is great?
    .-= Elaine´s last blog ..did you say dosa? =-.

38. jennifer jane commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:15am

The ladies at http://www.blacgurlzink.com and I have been talking about getting ourselves a vardo to use for traveling between shows.

Gypsy wagon

has pages and pages filled with beautiful vardos.
    I would love to just give up most of my possessions
    and travel around Europe in one.

39. Jamie commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 1:59am

I want one so bad! I wan to sell cupcake from it, I would die!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..weekend party time =-.

40. punky commented
    August 29th, 2009 at 12:20pm

What a great post Holly,
    I have a soft spot for caravans, we have owned 4 in my life time. I recently opened up a mobile vintage shop in a 1954 Bellwood in the Boston area. I would love for you to see it!
    amy
    .-= punky´s last blog ..Summer Wind =-.

41. Holly Hargreaves commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 10:06pm

I am an artist and use my little vintage can as a studio to sell out of at home. (www.pastpleasures.co.nz) Also to holiday in. I found her last year and my husband and I gave her a complete makeover. I just adore my little van. There is a definite rise in their popularity at the moment. You can check out these pictures…

42. used caravan awnings commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 10:38pm

The Mehrzeller concept caravan is amazing! Caravans always remind of the holidays I had as a kid – so much fun!
    .-= used caravan awnings´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

43. Tracey Chalk commented
    September 21st, 2010 at 11:42am

Hey Holly,

Have you seen my post on Caravanne Gallery in Bayonne France? It’s gorgeous!
    Tracey Chalk´s last blog post ..The Caravanne Gallery – My favourite shop in Bayonneever!

44. Amy commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 2:54pm

I have a caravan i built in to a vintage shop! Ive been obsessed with them since i was a child. My parents owned two of them one was for camping one was in our back yard as a play house!