Cross Stitch DIY

I love the cross stitch details we’re seeing in design, and these pretty downloads and ideas that I found over at the Wedding Style Guide in Australia recently warm my heart. I imagine them being used in so many fun projects!

img_cross_stich

Have you ever applied stitch work to anything in your home? Linens? Towels? Clothing? I love the little drawstring bags shown above, I’d love to make my own linen sachets for my lingerie drawers and stitch my initials on them. Little things like that make everyday items feel so much more special. Speaking of stitch work, I still have the bib my mother made for me while she was pregnant, it was my first bib and she cross stitched Thumper on it. :) Here it is in case you’d like to see it. Some of you who follow me on Flickr may have already seen it there when I posted it over a year ago.

my 1st bib

I think for this reason alone, I’ll always cherish this old-fashioned craft… though I really love how today’s designers are reinterpreting it in fresh, modern ways.

(images: top: wedding style guide, bottom: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on July 31, 2009

1. Simone commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 9:32am

That bib is darling. I’m still using the laundry bag I embroidered in high school with “Waesche.” Just last week, I cross-stitched some ants on a bag. a pattern I found in a Japanese pattern book. In high school I went through a huge cross-stitch phase and my samplers, etc. now grace my apartment wall. (Alright I just looked at the date on one of the samplers – Not a good thing.)
    .-= Simone´s last blog ..Great-Aunt Erlene’s Treasure =-.

2. Jamie commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 9:53am

whenever i see anything cross stitched i think of my grandmother. she was a pro for sure. i may have to take it up.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..making the best of the WORST =-.

3. Nicole commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:57am

I never thought to cross-stitch on an envelope! Hopefully it wouldn’t become too mussed up in the mail, with tight stitches and a full thread count. I’m going to do this for my grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary invites this November…thank you, Holly!
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Locale Lovelies: San Francisco Bay Area, Grand Finale! =-.

4. juliette commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:15am

oh, i just got the new Gudrun Sjöden catalog in the mail – it’s cross stitch and folk prints galore – dreamy!!

you must check it out – if nothing for the colors and imagery!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Rearranging the sofa: 4 times a charm! =-.

5. Jennifer commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 1:30pm

My mom is great at cross stitch. I took it up for awhile but then quit. I’ve been thinking about getting back into it. That bib is adorable!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Current Love: Skirts from Orangy Porangy =-.

6. maria commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:15pm

What a gorgeous keepsake from your mother!! I would love to cross stitch some pillow cases!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..Noa Noa ~ Autumn =-.

7. Kylie @ All Things Lovely commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:27pm

I love cross stitch! My mum taught me when I was a little girl, and I’ve loved doing it ever since, although patterns seem to becoming a bit daggier. I’d be so excited to see some beautiful new patterns. :)
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..Beautiful Wall Stickers =-.

8. Brooke commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 5:16pm

That bib is so sweet-what a wonderful thing to have from your mother! My mom is so talented at cross stitch.
    .-= Brooke´s last blog ..Pass It On =-.

9. Cookie Cutter commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 9:30pm

That’s such a cute bib! I was REALLY into cross-stitch like 10 years ago. I would be doing it day in and day out. I’m less enthusiastic abouting doing it now but still loves how beautiful it looks!
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Shelves of Happiness – PiP Studio =-.

10. Kiddlebug commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 9:16am

I can’t believe that it is still white! I love making things for my kids. One day my youngest told me that she loves me because I make things for them. That is the best compliment I could have asked for.
    .-= Kiddlebug´s last blog ..Rain Rain Go Away =-.