Arts + Crafts

Cross Stitch DIY

July 31, 2009

I love the cross stitch details we’re seeing in design, and these pretty downloads and ideas that I found over at the Wedding Style Guide in Australia recently warm my heart. I imagine them being used in so many fun projects!

Cross Stitch DIY

Have you ever applied stitch work to anything in your home? Linens? Towels? Clothing? I love the little drawstring bags shown above, I’d love to make my own linen sachets for my lingerie drawers and stitch my initials on them. Little things like that make everyday items feel so much more special. Speaking of stitch work, I still have the bib my mother made for me while she was pregnant, it was my first bib and she cross stitched Thumper on it. :) Here it is in case you’d like to see it. Some of you who follow me on Flickr may have already seen it there when I posted it over a year ago.

Cross Stitch DIY

I think for this reason alone, I’ll always cherish this old-fashioned craft… though I really love how today’s designers are reinterpreting it in fresh, modern ways.

(images: top: wedding style guide, bottom: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Simone July 31, 2009 at 9:32 am

That bib is darling. I’m still using the laundry bag I embroidered in high school with “Waesche.” Just last week, I cross-stitched some ants on a bag. a pattern I found in a Japanese pattern book. In high school I went through a huge cross-stitch phase and my samplers, etc. now grace my apartment wall. (Alright I just looked at the date on one of the samplers – Not a good thing.)
    .-= Simone´s last blog ..Great-Aunt Erlene’s Treasure =-.

• Reply Jamie July 31, 2009 at 9:53 am

whenever i see anything cross stitched i think of my grandmother. she was a pro for sure. i may have to take it up.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..making the best of the WORST =-.

• Reply Nicole July 31, 2009 at 10:57 am

I never thought to cross-stitch on an envelope! Hopefully it wouldn’t become too mussed up in the mail, with tight stitches and a full thread count. I’m going to do this for my grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary invites this November…thank you, Holly!
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Locale Lovelies: San Francisco Bay Area, Grand Finale! =-.

• Reply juliette July 31, 2009 at 11:15 am

oh, i just got the new Gudrun Sjöden catalog in the mail – it’s cross stitch and folk prints galore – dreamy!!

you must check it out – if nothing for the colors and imagery!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Rearranging the sofa: 4 times a charm! =-.

• Reply Jennifer July 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm

My mom is great at cross stitch. I took it up for awhile but then quit. I’ve been thinking about getting back into it. That bib is adorable!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Current Love: Skirts from Orangy Porangy =-.

• Reply maria July 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

What a gorgeous keepsake from your mother!! I would love to cross stitch some pillow cases!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..Noa Noa ~ Autumn =-.

• Reply Kylie @ All Things Lovely July 31, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I love cross stitch! My mum taught me when I was a little girl, and I’ve loved doing it ever since, although patterns seem to becoming a bit daggier. I’d be so excited to see some beautiful new patterns. :)
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..Beautiful Wall Stickers =-.

• Reply Brooke August 1, 2009 at 5:16 pm

That bib is so sweet-what a wonderful thing to have from your mother! My mom is so talented at cross stitch.
    .-= Brooke´s last blog ..Pass It On =-.

• Reply Cookie Cutter August 2, 2009 at 9:30 pm

That’s such a cute bib! I was REALLY into cross-stitch like 10 years ago. I would be doing it day in and day out. I’m less enthusiastic abouting doing it now but still loves how beautiful it looks!
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Shelves of Happiness – PiP Studio =-.

• Reply Kiddlebug August 3, 2009 at 9:16 am

I can’t believe that it is still white! I love making things for my kids. One day my youngest told me that she loves me because I make things for them. That is the best compliment I could have asked for.
    .-= Kiddlebug´s last blog ..Rain Rain Go Away =-.