Happy Weekend!

July 31, 2009

It’s happy dance time because the day has finally arrived… I’m moving out of my house tomorrow morning and heading down to Boston until next week where I’ll fly to London and eventually end up in my new digs over in northern Germany. Yippee! I have a million things to do, people to see, and goodbye parties to attend along with lots of unglamorous stuff like cleaning and finishing the paperwork for my moving company… so I’m cutting class here this afternoon and wishing you farewell… until we meet again!

Happy Weekend!

All next week I’ll be popping in to visit on decor8 but I’ve decided to put some of my dear friends and fellow bloggers in the driver’s seat here to share with you parts of their home and favorite things along with a special guest handling Etsy Take Five Tuesdays and another guest writing up Musical Thursdays. You can also expect a visit from the talented Leslie who will be back with her first installment of the new decor8 column: Color Me Pretty (see what you can expect here). I’ll be blogging full-time again August 17, but between August 3-14 you can expect lots of guests in the decor8 house along with pop-in visits from me with finds and mini updates as I travel though my goal is to blog less, stay offline as much as possible, and hopefully get a little vaca out of all of this because let me tell ya, I sooo could use one! Moving out of the country is a lot of work!

Have a lovely weekend everyone! – Holly

(card from dandee designs)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jessica July 31, 2009 at 10:43 am

Best of luck on your big adventure!
    .-= Jessica ´s last blog ..Bocci #22 Outlets =-.

• Reply Petra :-) July 31, 2009 at 10:56 am

I wish you and Thorsten a relaxing flight over the ocean next week :-)
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..sunday morning…. =-.

• Reply juliette July 31, 2009 at 10:58 am

aww yeah! glad you’re giving yourself at least some sort of blogging break during all this – hooray for guest bloggers!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Rearranging the sofa: 4 times a charm! =-.

• Reply diana strinati baur July 31, 2009 at 11:03 am

Holly, are you going for good or will you be going back to the States again in winter?
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Friends =-.

• Reply decor8 July 31, 2009 at 11:06 am

Diana – I may come back to see my family but I’ll be living f/t in Germany now. ;)

• Reply val July 31, 2009 at 11:06 am

can’t wait for future european posts! have a safe trip & an easy move across the pond!

• Reply carrie July 31, 2009 at 11:15 am

Oh my goodness, I am so excited for you!! You’re living my dream and it really inspires me to figure out how to make it happen for myself one day too.

Loads of hugs to you. Safe travels and YES, definitely take some actual vacation time m’dear…you surely do deserve!

• Reply Karen July 31, 2009 at 11:20 am

Good luck on your move and have fun!

• Reply Laura Gaskill July 31, 2009 at 11:22 am

It’s finally here – yippee!! Good luck with the move!!! I am so happy for you :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Thinking Pink, Part 2: Accents =-.

• Reply simply hue July 31, 2009 at 11:33 am

Hope you do get a well-earned vacation, Holly…..you’ll be missed!
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Monday’s The Big Day! =-.

• Reply B July 31, 2009 at 11:38 am

Safe travels!
    .-= B´s last blog ..Letters Scratched Out on Paper =-.

• Reply Jason Thompson July 31, 2009 at 11:55 am

Best of Luck Holly! Hope it goes well and enjoy the adventure!

• Reply diana strinati baur July 31, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I am so happy for you and wish you so many things that I cannot even begin to write here. Your talent and discipline have been an inspiration to me. The permanent cross Atlantic move has so many life altering aspects to it in so many ways — in my gratitude post today, I talk about my dear friend who I met in my early days in Hamburg. I can only offer this — if there is any time at all that you would like to chat or vent or say anything which would end with an exclamation point about making the move without at return ticket, I am here with my full briefcase of Northern German experiences to draw from. Whenever. I have, however, total faith in your positive energy and your ability to bring out the best in circumstance, chance and people. Alles, alles Gute…
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Friends =-.

• Reply decor8 July 31, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Thank you so much Diana!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente July 31, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Oh, I so hope you enjoy every minute hun! I wish you safe travels and happy trails! :)
    ps no worries, my post is on it’s way to you soon :)

• Reply Kathleen July 31, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Oh, good luck and safe travels! Can’t wait to hear all about it!
    .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..Square Foot Gardening =-.

• Reply patricia July 31, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Have a wonderful trip and go luck with the remaining to-dos!
    .-= patricia´s last blog ..paper + embroidery =-.

• Reply Sam July 31, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Good luck with your new adventure! It reminds me of when we moved from NZ to the USA – it was scary, so many things to organize, so many balls in the air, but it was the best thing we ever did.
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Greasing versus Greasing and Flouring =-.

• Reply gerogina July 31, 2009 at 12:44 pm

we’ll miss you but enjoy this time Holly!!!! all the best!!!
    .-= gerogina´s last blog ..correo =-.

• Reply Amanda July 31, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Happy traveling Holly! Take a much deserved rest. Can’t wait to hear about your moving adventures.
    Take care

• Reply Shanon July 31, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I’ll miss you Holly! I hope you have smooth travels and hug up all your friends and family really good before you take off.
    Best wishes to you! I feel like I’m kind of having this adventure too, living vicariously through you. =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Have a lazy summer weekend… =-.

• Reply Kelly July 31, 2009 at 1:58 pm

What an weird coincidence. I just started following your blog after a mention on DP, I think, then this. We just moved to N. Germany from Boston in Feb. Feel free to email me if you’d like to commiserate after your move. :-)
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

• Reply decor8 July 31, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Kelly – Where are you? We’ll be in Hannover (List).

• Reply deana - green with glamour July 31, 2009 at 2:20 pm

The best of luck with your move! Enjoy your last days stateside… and I look forward to savoring your features (esp new & indie European designers) once you settle in Germany!

• Reply Barbara July 31, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Enjoy your vacation and visits with family and friends. I’m looking forward to your new full-time adventure in Germany.

• Reply Design Esquire July 31, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Best of luck on your big move!
    .-= Design Esquire´s last blog ..Giveaway Time… =-.

• Reply gina July 31, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Can’t wait to see what you post from Deutschland!

Until then, take care and best wishes.
    .-= gina´s last blog ..un/conscious =-.

• Reply bee July 31, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Best of luck in this new chapter of your life. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us from Germany!

• Reply Gaia July 31, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Are you moving to germany? Why?
    I know I’m too curious…sorry!
    Can’t wait to hear from you and from new life.
    Good luck!
    .-= Gaia´s last blog ..{Sunset at the beach} =-.

• Reply Natascha July 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

How exciting for you! Good luck with everything and can’t wait to read the upcoming postst!
    .-= Natascha´s last blog ..Have a wonderful weekend! =-.

• Reply Shell July 31, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Have a safe trip, Holly to your new home.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Ran to the Sea =-.

• Reply FROM THE RIGHT BANK July 31, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Best of luck with your move, Holly! What an exciting time for you. I look forward to seeing you in your new digs!
    .-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..My Swedish Love: Josef Frank =-.

• Reply Sarah July 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Best of luck on your move. Enjoy your time in Boston, my favourite city (where I was born and my brother and nephews live now). Huge Paper Source on Boylston to get your fix before you go, and amazing food at Redbones in Sommerville if you fancy some good old southern cooking before you go. Bon Voyage. x

• Reply Melissa A. July 31, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Wow Holly, how exciting! I hope you have a wonderful vacation and lots of time for rest (from blogging) and fun on your way to your new home in Germany. We will definately miss you while your gone. I pray for your trip to be safe and that all will go smoothly for you.

• Reply samantha hahn August 1, 2009 at 8:44 am

yay….so exciting Holly!! Happy and safe travels. I can’t wait to hear the details. XOXO.
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..New work sneak preview: Midcentury chair prints =-.

• Reply steven August 1, 2009 at 10:41 am

bon voyage…auf Wiedersehen…farewll.. and every other meaning for goodbye.. but only for now…
    .-= steven´s last blog ..tuning in =-.

• Reply Kelly August 1, 2009 at 1:29 pm

We are in Ammersbek, just north of Hamburg. Hannover is about 2 hours south of us by car, or so I am told. I have not been to Hannover yet, but I do like Hamburg. Again, feel free to email me if you have any questions about immigration paperwork/Integrationskurse/etc. Or, even if you just want to complain. :-) I found lots of expats willing to give advice here and there, but mostly people who’ve been here awhile. They already speak German, emigrated before the latest rules were in place, etc, etc. It’s a different thing in the first year or so, I hear.
    Have a great time traveling before your arrival!
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

• Reply decor8 August 2, 2009 at 8:49 am

Kelly – Thank you so much! I studied immigration law and have a great attorney in Hannover (he’s been working with our family for years) so I’m not concerned over immigration. Plus, my husband is German and very well-versed in the laws there (thankfully!) so I feel like I’m pretty lucky — it’s not like I’m going over without any understanding of how things work. Plus I’ve been flying back and forth since 1999 each year, sometimes twice, and we’ve been spending 3 months a year for about 5 years now, so I can’t say I’m really “new” to the culture there and how things work. The only thing I’m new at, well, is living there full-time and no longer living in the states. Thank you so much for your kind offers –I really appreciate it!!! I’m in good hands though, so let’s hope all these things I have at my disposal are truly as helpful as I’m suggesting!!!

• Reply Penny Patten August 1, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Good luck Holly, have fun, safe travels, this sounds like such a great adventure!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..The Pink Artist Block Party 09( A Cuff) =-.

• Reply daily decorator August 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Enjoy your new life in Germany to the fullest! What a brave and adventurous step to take! Can’t wait to read your posts again once your settled!~Tracy
    .-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Saturday Sights =-.

• Reply Edward Beaman August 2, 2009 at 7:45 am

I remember the excitement I went through when moving to Berlin. Have fun and enjoy the experience!
    .-= Edward Beaman´s last blog ..Cat Climbing Tower Shaped Like a Tree For Cool Cats =-.

• Reply rins August 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

Best of luck, Holly and ganz viel Spaß!

• Reply Kelly August 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Holly- How great that you have so many resources at hand! I was also fortunate in that I am married to a German, and that I had been over fairly regularly for the last 15 years or so. I think you will find, as I did, that, for all the doom n’ gloom one hears about German bureaucracy, it is not so, so bad. At least it wasn’t here. I have a theory that our surburban / rural bureaucrats are less busy than those in the big cities, and so are more helpful.
    I can’t wait to hear your take on things decor/design oriented here. Someone should write a book for expats called “Living Without Closets”. :-) I’m still trying to figure out how to incorporate huge dressers, shelves and armoires into rooms that seem too small for such things.
    Best of luck on your move!
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

• Reply trish August 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hi Holly- Have a great time in bean town with your family. Here’s a little farewell note for you. oxo Til your next tweet:)
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Wishing Holly Go Lightly =-.

• Reply laura August 3, 2009 at 12:41 am

all the best for your move. how exciting. your blog is a joy to read.
    .-= laura´s last blog ..RSPCA Cupcake Day. =-.

• Reply diana strinati baur August 3, 2009 at 5:52 am

just one thing i HAVE to tell you to clear my own conscience. If you got into hot water I would not forgive myself. On the one year anniversary of moving to Germany you must have, in your possession, a German driver’s license, or you can’t drive! How do I know? Oh, well, maybe we can have a couple of glasses of beer one day over that story, but suffice it to say I did not follow the law to the T and lost the right to drive for one year. I finally did take the driving school hours and the written and practical test (required for us Ami’s) and consider my German license one of those prizes I will take to my grave :)
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Dog Days =-.

• Reply LindaS August 3, 2009 at 5:57 am

Fantastic for you! Good luck with the move!

• Reply The Deco Detective August 3, 2009 at 11:22 am

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to Europe! I hope living here will be a thoroughly enjoyable experience for you and your husband. And your vacation from Decor8 is well earned – blogging takes a lot of time and effort!
    .-= The Deco Detective´s last blog ..HAPPINESS IN LITTLE THINGS: CHOCOLATE TRIP =-.

• Reply Lor August 4, 2009 at 6:36 am

Wow, how exciting – good luck with the move!