Happy Weekend!

It’s happy dance time because the day has finally arrived… I’m moving out of my house tomorrow morning and heading down to Boston until next week where I’ll fly to London and eventually end up in my new digs over in northern Germany. Yippee! I have a million things to do, people to see, and goodbye parties to attend along with lots of unglamorous stuff like cleaning and finishing the paperwork for my moving company… so I’m cutting class here this afternoon and wishing you farewell… until we meet again!

Happy Weekend!

All next week I’ll be popping in to visit on decor8 but I’ve decided to put some of my dear friends and fellow bloggers in the driver’s seat here to share with you parts of their home and favorite things along with a special guest handling Etsy Take Five Tuesdays and another guest writing up Musical Thursdays. You can also expect a visit from the talented Leslie who will be back with her first installment of the new decor8 column: Color Me Pretty (see what you can expect here). I’ll be blogging full-time again August 17, but between August 3-14 you can expect lots of guests in the decor8 house along with pop-in visits from me with finds and mini updates as I travel though my goal is to blog less, stay offline as much as possible, and hopefully get a little vaca out of all of this because let me tell ya, I sooo could use one! Moving out of the country is a lot of work!

Have a lovely weekend everyone! – Holly

(card from dandee designs)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on July 31, 2009

1. Jessica commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:43am

Best of luck on your big adventure!
    .-= Jessica ´s last blog ..Bocci #22 Outlets =-.

2. Petra :-) commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:56am

I wish you and Thorsten a relaxing flight over the ocean next week :-)
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..sunday morning…. =-.

3. juliette commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:58am

aww yeah! glad you’re giving yourself at least some sort of blogging break during all this – hooray for guest bloggers!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Rearranging the sofa: 4 times a charm! =-.

4. diana strinati baur commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:03am

Holly, are you going for good or will you be going back to the States again in winter?
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Friends =-.

5. decor8 commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:06am

Diana – I may come back to see my family but I’ll be living f/t in Germany now. ;)

6. val commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:06am

can’t wait for future european posts! have a safe trip & an easy move across the pond!

7. carrie commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:15am

Oh my goodness, I am so excited for you!! You’re living my dream and it really inspires me to figure out how to make it happen for myself one day too.

Loads of hugs to you. Safe travels and YES, definitely take some actual vacation time m’dear…you surely do deserve!
    xoxoxo

8. Karen commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:20am

Good luck on your move and have fun!

9. Laura Gaskill commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:22am

It’s finally here – yippee!! Good luck with the move!!! I am so happy for you :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Thinking Pink, Part 2: Accents =-.

10. simply hue commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:33am

Hope you do get a well-earned vacation, Holly…..you’ll be missed!
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Monday’s The Big Day! =-.

11. B commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:38am

Safe travels!
    .-= B´s last blog ..Letters Scratched Out on Paper =-.

12. Jason Thompson commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:55am

Best of Luck Holly! Hope it goes well and enjoy the adventure!

13. diana strinati baur commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:02pm

I am so happy for you and wish you so many things that I cannot even begin to write here. Your talent and discipline have been an inspiration to me. The permanent cross Atlantic move has so many life altering aspects to it in so many ways — in my gratitude post today, I talk about my dear friend who I met in my early days in Hamburg. I can only offer this — if there is any time at all that you would like to chat or vent or say anything which would end with an exclamation point about making the move without at return ticket, I am here with my full briefcase of Northern German experiences to draw from. Whenever. I have, however, total faith in your positive energy and your ability to bring out the best in circumstance, chance and people. Alles, alles Gute…
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Friends =-.

14. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:10pm

Oh, I so hope you enjoy every minute hun! I wish you safe travels and happy trails! :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    ps no worries, my post is on it’s way to you soon :)

15. Kathleen commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:22pm

Oh, good luck and safe travels! Can’t wait to hear all about it!
    .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..Square Foot Gardening =-.

16. patricia commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:31pm

Have a wonderful trip and go luck with the remaining to-dos!
    .-= patricia´s last blog ..paper + embroidery =-.

17. Sam commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:42pm

Good luck with your new adventure! It reminds me of when we moved from NZ to the USA – it was scary, so many things to organize, so many balls in the air, but it was the best thing we ever did.
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Greasing versus Greasing and Flouring =-.

18. gerogina commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:44pm

we’ll miss you but enjoy this time Holly!!!! all the best!!!
    .-= gerogina´s last blog ..correo =-.

19. Amanda commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 1:01pm

Happy traveling Holly! Take a much deserved rest. Can’t wait to hear about your moving adventures.
    Take care

20. Shanon commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 1:52pm

I’ll miss you Holly! I hope you have smooth travels and hug up all your friends and family really good before you take off.
    Best wishes to you! I feel like I’m kind of having this adventure too, living vicariously through you. =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Have a lazy summer weekend… =-.

21. Kelly commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 1:58pm

What an weird coincidence. I just started following your blog after a mention on DP, I think, then this. We just moved to N. Germany from Boston in Feb. Feel free to email me if you’d like to commiserate after your move. :-)
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

22. deana - green with glamour commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:20pm

The best of luck with your move! Enjoy your last days stateside… and I look forward to savoring your features (esp new & indie European designers) once you settle in Germany!

23. decor8 commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:30pm

Kelly – Where are you? We’ll be in Hannover (List).

24. Barbara commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:30pm

Enjoy your vacation and visits with family and friends. I’m looking forward to your new full-time adventure in Germany.

25. decor8 commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:33pm

Thank you so much Diana!

26. Design Esquire commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 2:54pm

Best of luck on your big move!
    .-= Design Esquire´s last blog ..Giveaway Time… =-.

27. gina commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 3:18pm

Can’t wait to see what you post from Deutschland!

Until then, take care and best wishes.
    .-= gina´s last blog ..un/conscious =-.

28. bee commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 4:24pm

Best of luck in this new chapter of your life. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us from Germany!

29. Gaia commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 4:46pm

Are you moving to germany? Why?
    I know I’m too curious…sorry!
    Can’t wait to hear from you and from new life.
    Good luck!
    gaia
    .-= Gaia´s last blog ..{Sunset at the beach} =-.

30. Natascha commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 5:03pm

How exciting for you! Good luck with everything and can’t wait to read the upcoming postst!
    .-= Natascha´s last blog ..Have a wonderful weekend! =-.

31. Shell commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 6:33pm

Have a safe trip, Holly to your new home.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Ran to the Sea =-.

32. FROM THE RIGHT BANK commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 7:22pm

Best of luck with your move, Holly! What an exciting time for you. I look forward to seeing you in your new digs!
    .-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..My Swedish Love: Josef Frank =-.

33. Sarah commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 9:11pm

Best of luck on your move. Enjoy your time in Boston, my favourite city (where I was born and my brother and nephews live now). Huge Paper Source on Boylston to get your fix before you go, and amazing food at Redbones in Sommerville if you fancy some good old southern cooking before you go. Bon Voyage. x

34. Melissa A. commented
    July 31st, 2009 at 9:38pm

Wow Holly, how exciting! I hope you have a wonderful vacation and lots of time for rest (from blogging) and fun on your way to your new home in Germany. We will definately miss you while your gone. I pray for your trip to be safe and that all will go smoothly for you.

35. samantha hahn commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 8:44am

yay….so exciting Holly!! Happy and safe travels. I can’t wait to hear the details. XOXO.
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..New work sneak preview: Midcentury chair prints =-.

36. steven commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 10:41am

bon voyage…auf Wiedersehen…farewll.. and every other meaning for goodbye.. but only for now…
    xx
    .-= steven´s last blog ..tuning in =-.

37. Kelly commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 1:29pm

@Holly
    We are in Ammersbek, just north of Hamburg. Hannover is about 2 hours south of us by car, or so I am told. I have not been to Hannover yet, but I do like Hamburg. Again, feel free to email me if you have any questions about immigration paperwork/Integrationskurse/etc. Or, even if you just want to complain. :-) I found lots of expats willing to give advice here and there, but mostly people who’ve been here awhile. They already speak German, emigrated before the latest rules were in place, etc, etc. It’s a different thing in the first year or so, I hear.
    Have a great time traveling before your arrival!
    -Kelly
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

38. Penny Patten commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 7:53pm

Good luck Holly, have fun, safe travels, this sounds like such a great adventure!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..The Pink Artist Block Party 09( A Cuff) =-.

39. daily decorator commented
    August 1st, 2009 at 10:23pm

Enjoy your new life in Germany to the fullest! What a brave and adventurous step to take! Can’t wait to read your posts again once your settled!~Tracy
    .-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Saturday Sights =-.

40. Edward Beaman commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 7:45am

I remember the excitement I went through when moving to Berlin. Have fun and enjoy the experience!
    .-= Edward Beaman´s last blog ..Cat Climbing Tower Shaped Like a Tree For Cool Cats =-.

41. decor8 commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 8:49am

Kelly – Thank you so much! I studied immigration law and have a great attorney in Hannover (he’s been working with our family for years) so I’m not concerned over immigration. Plus, my husband is German and very well-versed in the laws there (thankfully!) so I feel like I’m pretty lucky — it’s not like I’m going over without any understanding of how things work. Plus I’ve been flying back and forth since 1999 each year, sometimes twice, and we’ve been spending 3 months a year for about 5 years now, so I can’t say I’m really “new” to the culture there and how things work. The only thing I’m new at, well, is living there full-time and no longer living in the states. Thank you so much for your kind offers –I really appreciate it!!! I’m in good hands though, so let’s hope all these things I have at my disposal are truly as helpful as I’m suggesting!!!

42. rins commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 9:53am

Best of luck, Holly and ganz viel Spaß!

43. Kelly commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 12:27pm

Holly- How great that you have so many resources at hand! I was also fortunate in that I am married to a German, and that I had been over fairly regularly for the last 15 years or so. I think you will find, as I did, that, for all the doom n’ gloom one hears about German bureaucracy, it is not so, so bad. At least it wasn’t here. I have a theory that our surburban / rural bureaucrats are less busy than those in the big cities, and so are more helpful.
    I can’t wait to hear your take on things decor/design oriented here. Someone should write a book for expats called “Living Without Closets”. :-) I’m still trying to figure out how to incorporate huge dressers, shelves and armoires into rooms that seem too small for such things.
    Best of luck on your move!
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Cherries! =-.

44. trish commented
    August 2nd, 2009 at 9:07pm

Hi Holly- Have a great time in bean town with your family. Here’s a little farewell note for you. oxo Til your next tweet:)
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Wishing Holly Go Lightly =-.

45. laura commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 12:41am

all the best for your move. how exciting. your blog is a joy to read.
    .-= laura´s last blog ..RSPCA Cupcake Day. =-.

46. diana strinati baur commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 5:52am

just one thing i HAVE to tell you to clear my own conscience. If you got into hot water I would not forgive myself. On the one year anniversary of moving to Germany you must have, in your possession, a German driver’s license, or you can’t drive! How do I know? Oh, well, maybe we can have a couple of glasses of beer one day over that story, but suffice it to say I did not follow the law to the T and lost the right to drive for one year. I finally did take the driving school hours and the written and practical test (required for us Ami’s) and consider my German license one of those prizes I will take to my grave :)
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Dog Days =-.

47. LindaS commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 5:57am

Fantastic for you! Good luck with the move!

48. The Deco Detective commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 11:22am

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to Europe! I hope living here will be a thoroughly enjoyable experience for you and your husband. And your vacation from Decor8 is well earned – blogging takes a lot of time and effort!
    .-= The Deco Detective´s last blog ..HAPPINESS IN LITTLE THINGS: CHOCOLATE TRIP =-.

49. Lor commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 6:36am

Wow, how exciting – good luck with the move!