Rag & Bone: My Favorite Things

Hello everyone. Today begins a two week series on decor8, A Few Of My Favorite Things, where you will find several guests who will share with you things in their home that they love along with other miscellaneous loves — from the best advice they’ve been given to favorite movies and music. Along with this series, I’ll be popping my head in from time to time to say hello as I travel. So without further ado, here’s my first guest — Jason from Rag & Bone….

A Few Of My Favorite Things: Rag & Bone Bindery

Auf Wiedersehen Holly and Hello fabulous Decor8 readers! Holly is preparing to go on her way to new digs and a new life in Germany and we wish her luck and look forward to all the discoveries from her new home.

My name is Jason Thompson. I’m the father of two, founder of the bookbinding studio Rag & Bone Bindery and author of “Making Journals by Hand” and the forthcoming “Playing With Books: Upcycling, Recycling and Re-Imaginging the Book“. Here are a few photos of favorite things from my home in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Our loft is located above Rag & Bone Bindery, making our morning commute a quick one. The two story brick building was constructed in 1900 and renovated for the bindery and living space in 2004. My wife Ilira and I live with our spirited three year old son Ian, and our endlessly creative eight year old daughter Faye. When Holly asked me to photograph favorite things in our home, I picked up the camera and started photographing. But I soon realized however that I don’t really have too many favorite “things” as in “stuff”. But I do have an appreciation for the abundance of light in the loft, the open space, the room to create and run around. I don’t think I can take a picture of “creativity”, but here are a few photos of the place we call home where we like to create, design, live and play.

Rag & Bone Bindery

Overall view. I like this view because it shows the open floor plan of the loft. We can watch the kids while we put dinner together or share a drink with friends. Pictured is a twelve foot farmhouse style dining table designed by a local woodworker using workbenches salvaged during renovation. Also an oak pew purchased from a church prior to demolition and lots of room to run around in.

Rag & Bone Bindery

This is the view looking in from the roof deck. We keep these barn doors open 24/7 in the spring and summer, except when it rains. The indoor-outdoor feel gives us a little bit of nature in our otherwise industrial wasteland neighborhood.

Rag & Bone Bindery

Our kitchen sits on a three foot platform giving us a view of the loft where we can watch the kids play.

Rag & Bone Bindery

One thing we couldn’t live without is art. Most of the pieces were created by ourselves or by friends. Art by Teesha Moore, Sabrina Ward Harrison, Anahata Katkin, Sonny Rolle, Brett Cortesi, Kristen Sollenberger, my wife Ilira, myself and others.

Rag & Bone Bindery

Light! It’s one thing you can’t pay for, beautiful sunlight spring, summer, winter and fall. I think natural light inspires our kids to want to create more – paint, draw and build. It also makes us happy. Especially on cold winter days.

Rag & Bone Bindery

Rag & Bone Bindery

BEFORE AND AFTER…Friends & Family. If there’s one thing we love about our comfortable home, it’s sharing it with friends & family. We’re inspired by art and design, a lot of which we come across perusing the internet. Art, personal and decorating blogs are where we get our ideas, not jsut for decorating – we don’t think of our house as ‘decorated’ – but also for art & projects which become a part of our home. We unplugged our TV a few years ago (we still watch once and a while, we’re not luddites) which gives us more time to create together with our kids. We’re inspired by food. A friend told us recently that her favorite kind of food was “growing food”, and we agree! We signed up for a community garden plot nearby and grew lots of vegetables for the first time this year. Now that our kids are a little older, they can help in the kitchen too. We didn’t know how much our daughter would love grating carrots until we asked her one day. No TV also gives us time to listen to music, as does the convenience of wireless iTunes.

Rag & Bone Bindery

Oh yeah, one last thing that inspires us: Toys! You’re never too old to play with toys.

Good luck Thorsten & Holly! - Jason Thompson

(images: jason thompson)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 03, 2009

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 8:51am

This is great! I love Jason’s home, it is bright and comfortable and lovely.
    Thank you for sharing all that inspires you! Holly…this series is so awesome! I cannot wait to see them all!
    xo
    Melis

2. patricia commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 9:09am

I would kill for all that space! What a beautiful home.
    .-= patricia´s last blog ..paper + embroidery =-.

3. Ilira Steinman commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 9:26am

Thanks for sharing this post! Have a wonderful trip and I hope everything goes smoothly!

4. carolyn gavin commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 9:26am

Fantastic Jason and Ilira! your place is beautiful… i love the space, the light and the love it exudes!
    .-= carolyn gavin´s last blog ..late winner! =-.

5. BODIE and FOU commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 10:18am

My god, what a gorgeous living space you have! and I agree with you re. friends, family and toy!

BODIE and FOU

6. Diana commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 10:25am

Great to hear from a fellow RI’er & Foundry Artist! Love this glimpse into your beautiful space. I can imagine that roof deck must be a green haven among the concrete, brick, and asphalt of Pawtucket.
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Summertime News =-.

7. Travelingmama commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 10:25am

What an absolutely amazing place to dream and create with your family! We feel the same way about light- it came just after western plumbing when we chose our current house!
    Best wishes from Morocco!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..{butterflies} =-.

8. Julie commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 10:42am

I am totally and completely in love with this space. Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing.

9. Amanda commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 10:50am

okay, i am lusting over all these images!

10. The Deco Detective commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 11:19am

Hi Jason, you’ve got a lovely and cool home! I agree about light being important – you’ve got another important thing as well: lovely flooring! Your art collection is also gorgeous.
    I live without a television, too! Getting rid of it is the best thing I’ve done for myself, I think.
    .-= The Deco Detective´s last blog ..HAPPINESS IN LITTLE THINGS: CHOCOLATE TRIP =-.

11. simply hue commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 12:27pm

I love this idea of guest bloggers while you’re away, Holly (even though I’ll miss ya)! Jason’s loft home is amazing! It’s kind of a dream of mine to live in a historic loft one of these days. Thanks for sharing your home and talents with us, Jason. :)
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Spotlight on Photographers and a Giveaway! =-.

12. Katie commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 12:42pm

I absolutely love this loft! It’s great to see old Rhode Island mills and warehouses being repurposed in such a beautiful way.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..vintage paint by number note card set =-.

13. carolyn gavin commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 2:06pm

your place exudes love, light and happiness!
    blessings to you both… XC
    .-= carolyn gavin´s last blog ..late winner! =-.

14. leslie commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 2:12pm

What a wonderful home! I love those barn doors onto the roof top deck -divine! I can also relate to unplugging the tv and growing your food! Great post.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Exploring Green =-.

15. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 2:37pm

I agree with you, the best is having people around for dinners and parties. So much space, do u ever get lost in it?? I would love to have an open space where to live and work, just the right balance!!
    I like the prints as well.
    .-= Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog ..Chocolate Creative goes Spanish =-.

16. fresh365 commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 4:01pm

What a wonderful home! I agree with your love of natural light- especially in New England!

17. Mar commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 4:03pm

Thank you for sharing your home. When the time comes for me to build a family, that is how I´d do it: surrounded by light, art, toys, family and friends!

18. Amanda~Weekend Host commented
    August 3rd, 2009 at 9:48pm

Wonderful post Jason. I love that you’ve created a comfortable and welcoming home for all your friends a family to enjoy. This is a really important factor for me too.
    .-= Amanda~Weekend Host´s last blog ..A night with Laurence Pasquier… =-.

19. Pi commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 4:08am

A lot of work was put into this house. I can feel the loft love from here. It feels good. Thank you!
    .-= Pi´s last blog ..Remastered realism: Bouguereau and Photoshop =-.

20. Edward Beaman commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 6:47am

I like the layout of that kitchen. Excellent post full of interesting information. The toys add a great touch especially to a family home.

21. Farmgirl Susan commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:50am

What a glorious home! Thanks for letting us in for a look.
    .-= Farmgirl Susan´s last blog ..Tuesday Dose of Cute: See Spot Accessorize =-.

22. decor8 commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 4:03pm

Thank you so much for this Jason, it’s really a delight to have you here and to see your home. :)

23. Jason Thompson commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 11:17am

That’s what friends are for Holly! Anytime. Drink lots of water & tea on the plane. Be safe! Jason

24. Lana commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 1:34pm

You and your family have a lovely homje Jason. Thanks for sharing with us!
    .-= Lana´s last blog ..French Lilies Paper Wreath – Cottage decor – CSSTeam =-.

25. Lana commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 1:35pm

oops…. sorry for the typo!
    .-= Lana´s last blog ..French Lilies Paper Wreath – Cottage decor – CSSTeam =-.