Chocolate Creative: My Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: Chocolate Creative

Hello everyone! I am Margarita from the Chocolate Creative blog and I am visiting today while Holly is moving as part of her August guest series, “A few of my favorite things”. I’ll be sharing a few of my favorite things with you from my place here in London so here I go…

Chocolate Creative

This picture is about my love for vintage things, I can’t help to go into junk, second hand, vintage shops, and markets, and always walk away with something special. Everything in this picture is dear to me, the old locks box, the vintage rent book, card game, and the little Scandinavian vase from the 50’s. This gathering is in my studio at home.

Chocolate Creative

I love my reading corner, when I get in, tired from work, or on a Saturday morning I sit here by the window with my magazines and coffee This is where I start day dreaming and looking for inspiration for my textiles… my mind is always working. The lamp is probably one of the most expensive things I own. I got the deer recently, the mirror very cheap from Greenwich market, and the crochet sitting on the sofa arms are made by my mother so that makes me feel like being back home in Spain. This place comforts me, especially in Winter as it is by the radiator as well, so all I need is a blanket, my cat, a hot drink, magazines and a nice movie!!

Chocolate Creative

This small simple corner is about having people around for dinner, I love cooking for my friends, we normally eat a lot and end up sitting on the sofas laughing and talking too much. I have gathered a good mix of chairs over the years, I am obsessed with them — different periods, shapes, colours, materials. My favorite is the tea pot and the laces, made by my mother, and some others vintage finds from London and Brazilian markets, plus a gorgeous Victorian wood cover I got from Ebay and even and IKEA lamp.

Chocolate Creative

Missi, my cat is the my most valuable thing is this house, and as such needs to be mentioned here in my favorite things list! My bedroom is very simple and comfortable, the bed is so good that I have problems getting up in the morning… This room is the best in the house, it is where I rest and dream, and it is full of my cushions and other quirky things such as the old dresses hanging on the walls. I feel very safe in this room.

Chocolate Creative

When I bought this house, I found the small doll in one of the kitchen drawers, it was left by the previous owner, so it feels like it was left behind therefore I feel very special about her. She is so cute and smiles! And the vintage black cup and saucer are from Bavaria Germany, a rare pattern that I fell in love from the moment I saw it.

A few more views of my home…

Chocolate Creative

Chocolate Creative

Holly asked me to share where it is that I gain inspiration. Well I look for inspiration in traditional craft, embroidery, stitching, old linens, vintage textiles, art, museums, (V&A in London), design, interiors, old objects that has got a story to tell, places I visit. My most recent travel was to Brazil, I fell for the country, the people, the music, the landscape, etc… especially Salvador de Bahia, with its historic old churches and colourful decayed buildings. I love the English countryside, so beautiful and full of amazing things, such as houses, lakes, kind people, old markets, shops, etc… I like mixing the old with the new and that is what I try in each design, to bring a bit of tradition into a contemporary piece. When working I tend to listen to Bosanoba, Cuban classics, and good chill out music.

Chocolate Creative

People who have achieved their dreams, follow their passions and are true to themselves inspire me the most though. Especially those who manage to get all this without being overly aggressive or too ambitious. My main source of inspiration comes from people and actions that show spirituality, kindness and honesty. I had and still have a lot of good advice from many different people in my life, such as my brother, my dear friends, and people in general. The piece of advice that has helped me the most and that I pass on to you all is: “Be true to your heart, believe in yourself and follow your dreams” and last “Respect and treat people the way you want to be treated”.

I hope you have enjoyed visiting with me today and seeing some of my favorite things! – Margarita.

(images: chocolate creative)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 04, 2009

1. Tricia McKellar commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:27am

Margarita, I love all the white on white– very calming and the bits of texture in the aged woods. Lovely home :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..Summer, 24×30 Fine Art Photograph by Tricia McKellar =-.

2. silvina commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:42am

Everything so lovely!!
    .-= silvina´s last blog ..Item of the week: Lovely Gueridon =-.

3. Mar commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:57am

Thank you! It has been great touring around your vintage/contemporary place…I love the mix and how everything has a meaning and revokes to some sort of dream :)

4. Shanon commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 12:06pm

Wonderful words and simply lovely pictures. Your house is clean and cozy. It’s been a pleasure visiting!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..A story of good light & my impatience =-.

5. Lucy commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 12:34pm

Hi Margarita.

I love Decor8, and it seems your going to be a fantastic guest blogger. What a lovely post, your design balance between old and new looks perfect to me. I could gaze at your pictures and float into a dream. Very lovely. I love vintage textiles and have finally made it my career. We all need to gain inspiration, thank you for helping with that.

Take Care,
    Lucy from http://www.lucylovesfabric.com
    x
    .-= Lucy ´s last blog ..What do you love? =-.

6. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Oh, what a beautiful home….so comfortable, airy and bright! I love the calm colors and the mix of vintage with beautiful modern lighting. Also, I love your sweet sentiments and advice. A gal after my own heart! Thank you so much for sharing!
    xo
    Melis

7. Christy commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Everything in your home is so well placed. I love the “tops and tails” box, the cards inside must have neat images. Thanks for letting us take a peek!
    .-= Christy´s last blog ..Bright Sunshiny Day =-.

8. Silvia_05 commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 1:01pm

Nice place, great pics. My home is quite similar in colors.
    I´m brazilian and your style reminds me our summer houses.
    It´s hard to believe it´s in London.

9. Emily Kate commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 1:12pm

Your home is so beautiful and inviting! I love the mix of styles, periods and textures–like how that burlap pillow sits next to the shiny chrome lamp in your reading corner. Fantastic! Thanks for letting us peek in!
    .-= Emily Kate´s last blog ..King and Queen of Carpentry =-.

10. Laura Gaskill commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 1:36pm

Margarita – your home looks so cozy and inviting, I wish I could come over for tea! I love your snug reading corner, and all of your vintage treasures…and Missi & the little doll are both adorable :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Away We Go…To Petersham Nurseries {UK} =-.

11. Dawn M UK commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 1:50pm

margarita, what an amazing introduction to you and your creative space. I loved sharing an insight into your home. Thank you, you have a wonderful eye for detail, look forward to reading your blog, dawn
    .-= Dawn M UK´s last blog ..Style Clash =-.

12. Annie May commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 2:24pm

Wow, what a feel good post! Love your work and I thanks so much for the inspiration today!
    .-= Annie May´s last blog ..A Little Trip! =-.

13. grace commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 2:35pm

i absolutely adore your vintage aesthetic :) what a great mix of old with new…. just lovely!
    xx

14. Katrina commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 3:17pm

Love those pillows on the sofa. All the pics were great. I love that vintage, shabby, eclectic look. Also letting everyone know I have a room makeover challenge going on over at my blog and would like as many people as possible to participate, to make it fun and interesting the limit is $200.00 for the room. Anyone interested come check it out.
    .-= Katrina´s last blog ..Candy Colored Eye Candy! =-.

15. Yansy commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 3:56pm

I love your home and your kitty is adorable.
    .-= Yansy´s last blog ..Too much or Just enough? =-.

16. Ashley commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 3:56pm

I love all your groupings of pillows, paintings, etc. They give every one of the rooms in your house interest. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..The aftermath … =-.

17. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 5:15pm

I am so moved with all your comments!!
    It is always nice when people share your views in interiors, I love my house and I try to make it a happy comfortable space for me and my friends.
    Thanks so much!
    I am off to check all this blogs of you!!
    .-= Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog ..Wells next the Sea =-.

18. Sarah commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 5:26pm

Hi Margarita: Thanks for the lovely pix of your home – wondering where you got the deer head…I am looking for something just like that and I love the size – not too big. Your cat is cute too!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Car Inspiration =-.

19. Leona Gaita commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 6:50pm

I love the white theme you have throughout your home. Is you’re cat white too? Mine is a toasty beige, and blends in very well with my sofa!

Lovely post!

20. carol commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 6:52pm

I love, love, , love your home! I appreciate that all your pieces are thoughtfully chosen & have meaning to you… and how your place is not cluttered; there is room to breathe and actually see all the lovely things…

21. jeanine commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 7:29pm

Margarita, I love your place! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the mixture of styles and pieces but I especially love the white chair with the circle inside the back, it’s very unique.
    .-= jeanine´s last blog ..Matching Pets to Furniture? =-.

22. imedagoze commented
    August 4th, 2009 at 9:49pm

Margarita, you hv one lovely home!!!! I adore your styling, it feels so inviting.. Thank you for sharing. :)
    .-= imedagoze´s last blog ..Colorful Noodles, anybody? =-.

23. CherryTreeLane commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 12:02am

this post made me so ridiculously happy. i have such a love of vintage.
    .-= CherryTreeLane´s last blog ..a dash of sugar and spice. =-.

24. Liss (daydreamlily) commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 1:17am

oh wow, what a gorgeous home you have. I adore your bedroom, its just how Id like mine to look!!
    .-= Liss (daydreamlily)´s last blog ..blue inspiration… =-.

25. Nicola commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 1:40am

What a gorgeous house. I love your collection of vintage items.

26. Viv commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 4:47am

What a beautiful calming home you have. It looks so relaxing.

Viv xx
    .-= Viv´s last blog ..A new look for old chairs =-.

27. Marie commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 6:36am

Margarita, I share your love of vintage things and love that pic, your home is gorgeous {have you ever had it featured in a magazine?}, thanks for sharing
    Mx

28. laura trevey commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 6:58am

Wonderful advice ~~ I feel like posting that on the fridge!!
    Lovely post too :)
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Oh so Beautiful =-.

29. Margarita commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 8:47am

Holly you are almost in Europe!! I hope you feel soon like home over this side of the pond!!
    Marie, the house hasn’t been featured anywhere else apart of my own blog and now here, to be in a magazine would be a dream come true!! as I adore interior magazines, I can’t live without them haha…
    I am happy Laura that u find my words inspiring, I am only sharing what so many other kind and wonderful people have said to me.

I am discovering a lot of new interesting blogs and designers going through all this comments, blogging is a great way to communicate and share stuff!!
    Love from London
    .-= Margarita´s last blog ..Wells next the Sea =-.

30. Teresa commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 8:52am

Your home is absolutely lovely. So pretty, calm and inspiring. (I knew I was hooked when I saw the first image!! Those beautiful vintage odds and ends, displayed perfectly.) And your post is equally lovely. (I really love the part about admiring people who have achieved their dreams and followed their passions without being overly aggressive or too ambitious. Kindness and honesty are so important!) It’s been a complete pleasure.
    .-= Teresa´s last blog ..Wary Meyers love… =-.

31. Margarita commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 9:17am

HI Sarah,
    The deer on the wall I got from a little shop in Islington, North London, Thomas, the dealer is very friendly and always sourcing beautiful things, have a look at this link: http://chocolatecreative.blogspot.com/2009/07/thomas-kleibrink-beautifull-shop.html, I made a post about him and the shop a while ago, I am sure he will be happy to post it to you. If require anymore info, pls email me and i will give u his contact details.
    Marga
    .-= Margarita´s last blog ..Wells next the Sea =-.

32. deb commented
    August 5th, 2009 at 2:04pm

This is all so lovely – exactly the kind of house I adore. Magnifique!
    .-= deb´s last blog ..Move over Barbie =-.

33. Lana commented
    August 6th, 2009 at 1:09am

Hi Margarita
    Everyone’s already said it but it’s true, your house is just gorgeous! I love your unique style, the vintage touch and all your interesting scatters! Your reading corner looks like total heaven! Can’t wait to have a look at your blog!
    .-= Lana´s last blog ..Perfect Spanish style villa =-.

34. Clare Farthing commented
    August 6th, 2009 at 7:35am

Hi Sarah

I love all the mix and match custions on the plain white sofas – really lovely and vintage ceramics. Great style.

Clare X
    .-= Clare Farthing´s last blog ..New Fine Bone China Mugs inspired by historial mat =-.

35. Robin commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 3:38pm

I just had to let you know… my cat is named Missi too! I’ve never met anyone that spelled it the same way! Just thought I’d share… beautiful cat by the way! :)
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..A few fun things from Hotlanta =-.

36. kelly commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 6:43pm

i love your reading corner! i am obsessed with the burlap bag Love pillow. where did you find that?

37. George Lopez commented
    August 27th, 2009 at 5:36pm

Guaaaaaaauuuuu… felicidades, cada foto es un ricón que trasmite mucha paz. Es simplemente un reflejo tuyo. Ya no sólo porque he pasado muy buenos momentos ahí, si no porque es encantador.
    Cuidate…. y sigue así…