Interiors

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

August 4, 2009

Hello everyone! I spent a fantastic day out and about in Boston where it is sunny and hot, hot, hot outside. We just returned to our hotel and I found a gorgeous bouquet of flowers in our room from a couple of friends of mine – how nice, huh? The room smells fantastic and our view of the Charles River and the skyline is a fantastic back drop. We’ve been here since Saturday and things have been non-stop between visits with friends and family coming in to the city to see us off… I’m tired! And most of all, I’m tired of saying goodbye because I am not too keen on goodbyes — it’s hard to say to those you love. Okay, I’m going off track because this post isn’t about me — it’s about Leslie Shewring from A Creative Mint, a guest writer on decor8 who will post two Mondays each month (1st and 3rd Mon.) – her column is called Color Me Pretty and officially kicks off right now… Here is Leslie’s current color inspiration — I hope that her palette inspires you, too!

Colors Selected: Blues, Aquas, Whites and a little Sand

Inspiration: Making sun prints and playing at the beach with my kids

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Blues, Aquas, Whites and Sand

Ideas on using these colors at home: Even though blue and white is a traditional color combination you can freshen the look in your home by adding more variations of blue to your palette, like throwing in some aqua. I love water pictures from past family vacations so I framed a series for my bathroom all using similar frames. Sun prints are another way to bring a great bold blue into a room as they are an inexpensive way to create art for your walls. I used lots of found objects from around the house to make a little series that would have a nice impact if hung together as a group. Of course collecting patterns with similar colors always makes a nice statement too, like my blue patterned Japanese bowls stacked on a shelf. I hope you enjoy this series and I am still staring at my long lasting blue hydrangeas! – Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

45 Comments

• Reply Heather August 4, 2009 at 11:02 am

These are just gorgeous photos, and so inspiring! Seeing them makes me want to drop everything and decorate my home right now!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Author/Artist Series: Martha Zschock =-.

• Reply Victoria Klein August 4, 2009 at 11:05 am

Great color collection! It actually made me a little teary-eyed, since I’d give almost anything to go to the beach right now with my mum & husband … but they’re both busy working on a gorgeous day like today. (I’m supposed to be work too … trying to get to that).

I digress – the point is, great post! :D

• Reply Lynne August 4, 2009 at 11:07 am

Oh, love this post – it makes me feel so calm and relaxed – and I want to head to the sea pronto!
    .-= Lynne´s last blog ..New advertiser: Catskill Kiwi =-.

• Reply Pamela Michelle August 4, 2009 at 11:10 am

Simply beautiful!

• Reply Diane August 4, 2009 at 11:12 am

These photos are so fresh and fun. I love the sun prints. Leslie has a great eye!

• Reply The Bella Girls August 4, 2009 at 11:22 am

The colors in these photos are so soothing to me. I love them! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Jamie August 4, 2009 at 11:36 am

these colors are so calming!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..most fantastic monday =-.

• Reply El August 4, 2009 at 11:38 am

The colors are beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration.
    .-= El´s last blog ..More Scrumptious Cape Cod =-.

• Reply Christine August 4, 2009 at 11:43 am

This is one of the most beautiful posts I’ve seen on your site:) The sun print paper is so much fun to work wit (a great way to capture profile portraits of family by the way) :)
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Classics and Dolls =-.

• Reply Daniella August 4, 2009 at 12:15 pm

These are gorgeous images Holly! I love that tea jar… so cute. What a nice, fresh palette of blue.
    .-= Daniella´s last blog ..pattern perfect… =-.

• Reply Shanon August 4, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I’m dying over those wooden buttons and that blue egg in the last set is too cool!
    Congrats on a GREAT post! =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..A story of good light & my impatience =-.

• Reply Tory August 4, 2009 at 12:20 pm

These photos are perfection. I’m just in awe of the beautiful objects you gathered from around your home and how you put them together so artfully. Gorgeous!
    .-= Tory´s last blog ..Many Recipes of the Week =-.

• Reply Kim August 4, 2009 at 12:22 pm

The blue hydrangeas are GORGEOUS. I would love to have those at my house everyday!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 4, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Gorgeous! Definitely inspirational and beautiful, beautiful combinations! I love the sunprints you and your kids made…..great idea!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Laura Gaskill August 4, 2009 at 1:46 pm

This is beautiful, Leslie! You put a big smile on my face when you mentioned sun prints, because I remember spending hours and hours when I was a kid out in the yard making sun prints of everything I could get my little hands on! I actually tried to use sun prints as covers for my wedding programs, but ended up going with another option because I ran out of time :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Away We Go…To Petersham Nurseries {UK} =-.

• Reply Tefi August 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Love the palette and Joel Dewberry fabric. So calming.
    .-= Tefi´s last blog ..The Gentle Giant Falls =-.

• Reply B August 4, 2009 at 2:01 pm

These images are stunning. I love the new series!
    .-= B´s last blog ..Finally Showing the Love =-.

• Reply fresh365 August 4, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Gorgeous as usual! And perfect inspiration for the summer!
    .-= fresh365´s last blog ..Tomato Panzanella =-.

• Reply Shannon August 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Lovely, lovely, lovely. This was so inspiring! Thanks for such a great post!

• Reply decor8 August 4, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Leslie thank you for this gorgeous BLUE palette today — as I sit here typing from my hotel room overlooking the Charles River (blue) and the sky (blue) and the Prudential building (also blue), I’m absolutely feelin’ these colors today too! Thank you so much for this — you do gorgeous work!

• Reply tracie @ tsj photography August 4, 2009 at 4:22 pm

oh my word! i can’t tell you what these colors do to my insides … all squishy and happy!
    .-= tracie @ tsj photography´s last blog ..speaking of growing up … =-.

• Reply leaca August 4, 2009 at 4:23 pm

lovely stuff.
    .-= leaca´s last blog ..simply smitten–ingrid michaelson =-.

• Reply leslie August 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Thank you so much for the encouraging words!!! It is such a treat to share here with you all.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty Column =-.

• Reply Kim August 4, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Gorgeous! Blue is by far one of my favorite colors to use when decorating! That tea tin is especially adorable!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What A Great Day For Some Shopping =-.

• Reply crt August 4, 2009 at 6:30 pm

A whole new meaning to ‘something blue’… these photos are exhilarating. I have never enjoyed royal blue so much! Thank you for sharing these amazing photos and color inspiration.

• Reply Julie Cove August 4, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Les, this blue collection turned out gorgeous! It makes me want to be by the ocean morning, noon, and night to see the array of blues that it offers! Can’t wait to see what you inspire us all with next!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Dining Alfresco =-.

• Reply Kate August 4, 2009 at 8:19 pm

These are incredible! Thanks so much for collating such delicious images – they really are beautiful and calming.
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Love You Big in Inside Out Magazine! =-.

• Reply novelista barista August 4, 2009 at 9:53 pm

WOW i love those!!!
    Can u tell me who made your blog layout? I want to inquire on them!
    thank you!
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..Light The Night Walk – Donate! =-.

• Reply Vicki Moore August 5, 2009 at 1:59 am

Leslie, what a wonderful post. Your photos have really inspired me today! The fabric patterns and sun prints are amazing… great color and texture combinations. Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to you next beautiful creation.

• Reply Petra :-) August 5, 2009 at 3:12 am

I love this blue, blue post :-) beautiful pics and very inspiring… :-)
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..the white gold… =-.

• Reply Bali Beach Bunny August 5, 2009 at 4:30 am

turquoise and tea
    does it GET any better?
    .-= Bali Beach Bunny´s last blog ..Girls on Gilis =-.

• Reply Amanda August 5, 2009 at 9:27 am

These are so gorgeous! I especially love the first picture with the polaroids and pencils, the sun prints are amazing, and I want that tea tin!!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..strawberry drops =-.

• Reply Kara August 5, 2009 at 9:37 am

Ahhh! Love the blues- beautiful!!!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..farmer’s market pickled green beans! =-.

• Reply Erica Cottrill August 5, 2009 at 10:08 am

The blues are very fresh. Coastal blues and soothing aquas continue to be trendsetting in outdoor design, especially in pillow collections.

• Reply Katie Baird August 5, 2009 at 11:31 am

Ooo I love the sun prints! Just reminded me I have a little sun print kit! Now, I have to go dig it out and use it! Inspired.

• Reply Amanda~Weekend Host August 5, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Beautiful images Lesley. Great to see how this timeless combination can be given a modern twist. I would dearly love be able to purchase a few of those gorgeous MarieBelle tea tins – I think they look wonderful with freshly cut flowers in them.
    .-= Amanda~Weekend Host´s last blog ..Naturally charming… =-.

• Reply shelby August 5, 2009 at 6:36 pm

How did you get the print with writing? I’ve never seen anything like it, it’s beautiful!

• Reply Summer August 5, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I ADORE those buttons. Adore!!!

• Reply Marie August 6, 2009 at 3:39 pm

So gorgeous, I love these shots, they’re so evocative, blue has such a dreamy quality, I love it x

• Reply kate August 8, 2009 at 12:44 pm

this is so pretty, it makes me want to make all my board boards for shoots look this dersirable and photogenic. lovely, just lovely.
    .-= kate´s last blog ..road trippin’ =-.

• Reply by JOS August 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm

love all the blues!
    .-= by JOS´s last blog ..oh my, make-up =-.

• Reply The Perfect Palette September 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

INCREDIBLE color palette! wow.wow.wow!
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..Inspired Ink: Yellow Makes Me Happy! =-.

• Reply Elizabeth August 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

How did you get what looks like a sun print of script writing?!? Love this palette and the sun prints!!!

• Reply Grand Home Decor May 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Blue and brown, I never thought it would look this good while blue and white always looks so amazing. It’s really so creative of you on how you were able to put all these things up.

• Reply Nines September 21, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I want to know more and more!