Guest Bloggers

August 5, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Simplemente Blanco

Hello! I am Fernanda Bourlot from Simplemente Blanco in Boston and I’m visiting while Holly is moving as part of her August guest series, “A few of my favorite things”. I am an interior designer and also own a small company that makes products and objects that are usually used in interior design projects. Almost everything is made by hand, carefully done and with lots lots of love! Here are a few of my favorite things…

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

Our bedroom. I love the tranquility that gives me when I am exhausted and I like the lilac and the pillows with our own initials (M and F). I also love the writing on the wall which is a piece of a Poem of William Blake (who I adore for the sweetness and kindness of his poems).

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

Our half bathroom is very masculine with simple lines — it’s very serious and minimal. I like the little glass tiles on floor and wall but I mostly love my rectangular sink from Duravit.

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

This is a stack of guest towels, soap bars and soap petals on the sill of the main (and absolutely white) bathroom.

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

A typical winter (from earlier this year) around the table, our special Sunday 5 o’clock tea at home (we love to have people over during the winter time when there is no any other place to go).

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

As I already mentioned, my husband and I love to entertain a lot and enjoy a good Argentinean wine on Saturday nights so this is how the dining room sometimes looks when we have dinners at home.

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

This is a view into my work room at home (it’s one of my favorite places in the house because it’s incredible sunny even when it’s cloudy outside! I have to admit it doesn’t look this clean neat and organize very often!

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

One of the things that I mostly do at home is gardening. This is what I learned from my mother who is an avid florist and gardener in Buenos Aires so.. this is part of my equipment to plant on my tiny deck and the building front garden where we live.

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

This is Martin’s (my husband) reading chair. A little background story — he once asked if he could have a his own comfortable chair that could be only “His” chair for reading, so here it is. :)

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

This is one of the shelves on the right side of the fireplace that keeps all the stuff that probably would be disposable for almost everybody else, but to me has special meaning. An example is the wooden stick that I brought all the way back to Boston from Argentina because I picked it up on one of the bays in our weekend home along the river where we spent a big part of our childhood. This is where we still enjoy summers when we go back there (someday I’ll write a special review about Buenos Aires and house on the river for decor8). Back to our shelf… it also has wooden blocks with initials, pieces of rope from our canoe, very old laboratory flasks from Argentina plus candles and vases and a vintage video recording machine from the 40’s (or something like that).

Simplemente Blanco: My Favorite Things

A big part of my life happens in my showroom Boston’s South End where I have a studio space. Here is a compilation of things I like from collection, Simplemente Blanco. Knitted pillows and throws, organic bags all together on an antique weathered ladder.

And finally to wrap things up, other things I love include the inspiration I get from movies, like “Chocolat”. I love everything — all the beautiful little places and her store and even more all those huge bowls full of chocolate that look as if you can almost taste it! I love to watch very carefully the process of making those spectacular cakes and bars going from cacao seeds passing through all those magical blends arriving to those wonderful packages and then seeing them being displayed on those magical shelves – I love love love that movie! The Sound of Music is one of my favorites too because it makes me dream about having that home with those incredible gardens and most of all having the little lake with a row boat!

Oh and now music…Clair de lune by Debussy makes me feel I am in heaven and even being able to touch the moon with my own hands.

Also places in the world… many, many are my favorites but the most wonderful is for me the Luxembourg gardens in Paris because is the most perfect example of happiness on earth (place that reminds me Buenos Aires a lot especially when I feel homesick.)

Thank you for having me today on decor8, Holly! – Fernanda.

(images: simplemente blanco)

29 Comments

• Reply Kathi of allthingswhite.etsy August 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

I want to move in !!! This is lovely, I have quite a bit of white in my home and it is what makes me so happy. Simply perfect !

• Reply tiina August 5, 2009 at 8:20 am

beautiful! i’m off to simplemente blanco now :)
    have a lovely day!
    Tiina
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..jade jagger home =-.

• Reply Jenn August 5, 2009 at 8:27 am

Gorgeous home and styling. It’s not easy to make a home done primarily in white feel warm, but this does–it feels very authentic too. Love it!
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Literary Inspiration: Truman Capote =-.

• Reply [michele] August 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

Your home is absolutely beautiful – thank you for sharing!
    .-= [michele]´s last blog ..Gratitude =-.

• Reply Guada August 5, 2009 at 9:26 am

Lovely review and exquisite taste !!!!! You make white look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply Laura Gaskill August 5, 2009 at 9:44 am

This is gorgeous, Fernanda! So, so peaceful and calming. I wonder – did you paint the William Blake quote yourself? It’s beautiful and what a wonderful idea! And oh my, that bedroom makes me want to drop everything and sprawl out for a nice, long nap :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Daily Mood: Museum of Art =-.

• Reply Fernanda August 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

It’s a beautiful house…lovely really!

• Reply Christy August 5, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Beautiful lighting, every room feels like a calm dream.

I have been wanting a pair of those Japanese style gardening shears for a while now.
    .-= Christy´s last blog ..Real Simple =-.

• Reply simply hue August 5, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Beautiful postpost! I love your home and your decorating style. “Chocolat” is one of my longtime favorite movies, too.
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Spolight on Photographers, Day 3 =-.

• Reply Pixie August 5, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I love your bathroom too! That sink and vanity (although, I wouldn’t call it a vanity really) are a-maz-ing. Love the tile wall, oh, that must be so easy to keep clean and always so fresh looking.
    .-= Pixie´s last blog ..Movie to See: Julie and Julia =-.

• Reply Rose August 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

lovely house! can you tell me where your husband’s reading chair is from? looking for something just like it!

• Reply Wendy August 5, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I have never been a fan of white until now, I am converted, I understand, thank you.

• Reply Elisabet August 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm

You have a lovely home !

Do you mind telling us what is written above your bed ? Always looking for beautiful words ;)

Thank you for sharing!

Elisabet
    (Paris, France)

• Reply Jillian August 5, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Your home is absolutely gorgeous. The shine on your floors is amazing, and I love how it looks with all of the white. The photo of the reading chair is my favorite.
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Design of the Day – Garnet and Moonstone Earrings =-.

• Reply Cecilie August 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm

WOW it´s fantastic all of it :p I love your home and your style..

• Reply Cheryl August 5, 2009 at 4:23 pm

love your bedroom in lilac — can you grow lilacs outside your bedroom windows? that would be divine to smell in the spring and early summers. thank you for sharing — inspires me.

• Reply Sandra@Botany's August 5, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Fernanda,
    I have always loved your work. You make white seem so colorful!!
    I hope to have your line in my shop in the fall. Thank you for letting us have a peak into your lovely world.

Sandra

• Reply Neuf Francs August 5, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I adore the reading chair! Love the knit pillow – very comfy!

• Reply Shanon August 5, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Fernanda, I love your name! =) Your place is a wonderland. And thank you for the music link, I’m off to purchase it right now. Like Guada said, you have exquisite taste!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..*A Holga Thank you! =-.

• Reply Laura August 5, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Oh, your place is just beautiful Fernanda, I especially love your workroom. How I wish I had a workroom like yours. I feel exactly the same about ‘Chocolat’ and ‘Clair de Lune’ as you do. I was even contemplating having a chocolate shop of my own after I saw the movie. It was just a dream though, sigh.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Redecorating – Sort Of =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 5, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Absolutely beautiful! How lovely, calm and serene….I adore the quote above the bed, the special chair and the tea table set for tea in the wintertime….how lovely! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home with us and I am a big fan of your beautiful products as well!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply eileen August 5, 2009 at 7:23 pm

My husband asked for his own special reading chair too. And the Luxembourg gardens are my favourite (I often use the chairs in my images). I go there every time we’re in Paris.
    .-= eileen´s last blog ..Day 14 – August 4, 2009 =-.

• Reply eileen August 5, 2009 at 7:24 pm

And now you make me want to paint the rest of the house white (just painted my office a pale, pale grey, almost white). Lovely photos!
    .-= eileen´s last blog ..Day 14 – August 4, 2009 =-.

• Reply Stacey August 6, 2009 at 1:35 am

I love your home – I love all the very calm relaxing whites! Just a question – have you used cool whites or warm whites for the walls and furniture? I’m renovating at the moment and am finding the whole white-issue a bit confusing!

• Reply ana August 6, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Beautiful. Really love all that white interior. A lot of inspiration, thanks:)
    .-= ana´s last blog ..Forgylt katt fra Hong Kong =-.

• Reply fernanda bourlot from simplemente blanco August 6, 2009 at 1:38 pm

hello everybody:
    thanks so much for all your wonderful and kind comments
    yes, Laura I made the William Blake quote myself I simply wrote a piece of the poem on a canvas that I painted white first and then I wrote on top of it with a lilac oil pastel

dear Rose: I bought that chair in a flea market and we re upholstered it in white

dear Elisabet; what is written is a little piece of a poem of William Blake and it says:
    Sleep! sleep! beauty bright,
    Dreaming o’er the joys of night;
    Sleep! sleep! in thy sleep
    Little sorrows sit and weep
    (if you want me to send you the whole poem send me an e mail to contactus@simplementeblanco.com)

dear Stacey:
    I have used “super white” almost everywhere (from Benjamin moore) that is pretty warm in comparison with other whites

• Reply Alexandra August 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm

So gorgeous and calming! I don’t know if I could ever keep it that clean for very long. You’ve done white right, so it doesn’t feel minimalist and cold.

What my question is: how do you keep your wood floors so shiny? They are impeccable.

• Reply Kelly August 7, 2009 at 10:57 am

Your home is so lovely and cozy! And I’m a huge fan of Simplemente Blanco as well. My Christmas shopping would certainly suffer without your wonderful shop (as would my apartment). Thank you!

• Reply Penny Patten August 10, 2009 at 9:43 am

What a beautiful home, so serene and calm. Very inviting.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Friendship and a Yellow Rose =-.