Happy Weekend!

Hallo everyone! I hope that you have a wonderful weekend, I plan to be very busy visiting with friends and family, unpacking, cleaning our apartment and getting it stocked with groceries because there is nothing in the cabinets! I will also sort through lots of mail and magazines that have been arriving since we were here last in December — 8 months of mail is quite daunting but I have lots of German and Dutch design magazines in the pile waiting for me along with some nice catalogs so it will be FUN to sort through it all. I love fun mail (no bills, yet). The weather is beautiful here – tons of sunshine and warm temps – so the welcome to Germany couldn’t be any nicer.

London Loot!

Here’s some loot from London, I picked these magazines up yesterday there before catching our flight. I couldn’t believe it when our flight was only 55 minutes from London to Hannover – wow! I can’t believe how close I live to one of my favorite cities in the world. Exciting! Watch out London, I’m flying back up to visit you knowing how close I am and how cheap it is to grab flights.

I hope you have a nice weekend my dear friends, I’ll be popping in over the next few weeks to say hello and post from time to time, but I have lots of lovely guests sharing their favorite things to keep you busy while I’m getting my life set up and such. Hope you’ve been enjoying My Favorite Things… I think it’s a wonderful way to not only learn more about some great people, but through their words (I’ve been editing them so of course I’m reading along too!) I think each of them are inspiring in so many different ways — though the message running through them all is clear — we all have cherished things in our home and it’s important to pause and reflect on that fact and realize that we don’t always need to run out and shop or be like anyone else when we’re decorating. We can decorate using what we love as all of my contributors have been showing on decor8 over the past week.

Remember — the best things in life are really are free — our cherished possessions but also our memories and interactions with others — who inspires us, what advice we’ve heard that made a difference, these kinds of things,  don’t you think? I hope that as you’ve been following My Favorite Things that you’ve been putting together a mental list of some of your favorite things too. What would you list? What is the best advice you’ve been given? Who has inspired your life? Feel free to tell me below if you feel like sharing… I’d love to know. :)

See you again on Monday!

xo,

Holly

(image: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 07, 2009

1. BODIE and FOU commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 12:32pm

Hi Holly
    Thank you so much again for inviting me to take part in ‘My Favorite Things’ series. It was very generous of you and given how many participated, I’m sure you must have been a pretty busy bee :-)
    Each of them was so different and interesting..it was really good.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend and hope to see you in London when you’re back.

Bises

Karine

2. CherryTreeLane commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 12:56pm

I didn’t know there was a JAMIE magazine! Jealous!

The best piece of advice I have ever been given, has stuck with me for years:
    “Live intentionally.”

Have a great weekend!
    .-= CherryTreeLane´s last blog ..DIY update. =-.

3. Nicole commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 1:17pm

Glad to hear you have enjoyed safe travels!

Your moving process has really provided motivation for me to remember what possessions I truly value. I am moving cross-country this fall, and my most cherished items are the vintage Naval Academy items I’ve found for my husband over the past few years; original photos of our grandparents; a pastel drawing I created of a little-known Degas print in college; and a ottoman from my very first apartment, which I’ve recovered in linen and tea-stained doilies! And, my Nigella Lawson nesting mixing bowls in pale blue, just for good measure :)
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Locale Lovelies: Free Ohio Printables! =-.

4. hello, friend. commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 1:17pm

glad all the travels have gone well! WOW! that is so amazing you are SO close to London! an hour for me will get my to LA, but that’s about it.

the favorites posts have been so fun — It’s great seeing all the workspaces of bloggers + friends I know!

have a lovely weekend holly!

xo.
    danni
    .-= hello, friend.´s last blog ..friday giveaway: =-.

5. {tig} commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 2:11pm

so happy to hear the move + travels went well! wishing you much luck with the unpacking and settling in — looks like you’re off to a great start with all those fun magazines!
    .-= {tig}´s last blog ..{french chic: vanessa bruno} =-.

6. AmandaMuses commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Glad to hear you two arrived safely in Germany! Loving the ‘My Favorite Things’ series… makes me want to do one of my own ;)

Have fun unpacking!
    xo
    .-= AmandaMuses´s last blog ..A wolf in sheep’s clothing =-.

7. Jessie commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 2:56pm

Good to hear your back safe and sound :) The guest bloggers have been wonderful this week.. but look forward to your return soon. It’s great your more central now, it makes me excited as I’m moving to London after the summer and look forward to more travelling too! :)
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Folksy Friday! =-.

8. girl, inspired commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Favorite things; family heirlooms- my great-grandmothers needlepoint handkerchiefs and her recipe for blueberry cake. My grandmother’s costume jewelry and her black and white photo albums from the 1930-40’s.

The sound of my parents’ voices.
    .-= girl, inspired´s last blog ..tgif =-.

9. sarah commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 2:58pm

hey glad to hear you arrived safe and well, the jamie mag will have you yearing for greek shores……. ah the joys of european travel!!!
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..wedding belles =-.

10. laura trevey commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 3:41pm

Favorite things… Hmmm, being able to have the time to paint, drink coffee, and of course ~~ spend precious time with my family!!
    Wonderful weekend to you ~~
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Fresh Cut Grass or Pink Lemonade =-.

11. Nicola commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 4:20pm

Hi Holly!
    The best advice I got was when I was having a moan to someone and they said to me “Well what are you going to do about it” Sounds so simple, but often when can moan about our circumstances, work or whatever, and we have the power to make some change to make that better!

On to favourite things, Sunny and relaxing Saturday mornings, having a wine with friends, Reading a pile of great magazines, mucking around in my craft room creating, spending time with my man, and my cute kitten!
    .-= Nicola´s last blog ..Apartment Love =-.

12. Agnes commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 4:43pm

I am so glad that you are getting settled in and I certainly have been enjoying all the lovely posts that have been coming our way via your blog, those Favorite Things posts are visually delightful… so much talent out there.
    I think my most treasured items are my antiques from a friend in Provence and my trusty old guitar and banjo.
    Who inspires me? It would have to be my mother; mama to 7 children and caretaker for one blinded and wounded veteran, my uncle. She always crafted and created artistic beauty even when confronted by difficult times. That and my very first art tutor; I was only 7 but she was such a quirky, independent soul, her memories and lessons stay with me to this day. Thanks for reminding me to stop and reflect.
    xoxo
    .-= Agnes´s last blog ..Toot Toot CB78 =-.

13. Jane commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 4:59pm

Lucky you in Germany. So neat stylish and organised. !!! Best advice came from Bob Ansett (he ran an airline) – persistence is everything.
    .-= Jane ´s last blog ..A Swedish Detective Trilogy and Swedish Style =-.

14. nichole commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 7:11pm

Have a lovely weekend in your new home. So excited for you!

And btw … I received the snail mail. THANK YOU so much. I have a new read this weekend.

xxoo
    Nichole
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Mosaics =-.

15. Eileen commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 7:21pm

I didn’t know there was a Jamie magazine either. Oh I miss London so much.
    .-= Eileen´s last blog ..Day 14 – August 4, 2009 =-.

16. blue bicicletta commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 8:03pm

Man am I jealous! Less than an hour from London!

The best advice I’ve been given (and that I’ve been spreading around) is “trust your inspiration, doubt your fear”

I’m trying to live by that. It’s hard, but full of wonder.
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..Lilacs =-.

17. samantha hahn commented
    August 7th, 2009 at 9:16pm

wohooo….glad you are getting settled in and that the weather is nice and there are friends about to enjoy and help with setting up!
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..Self Portrait =-.

18. Lynne commented
    August 8th, 2009 at 1:31am

Glad you had fun in your brief stopover! I’m a recent convert to Easy Living Magazine (and a subscriber) – their target demographic is slightly older than I am but I like their design pages and they come up with original finds and I emailed someone there to ask for PR advice for my new business and she could not have been more helpful. Elle Decoration is my favourite though. Sounds like you are having a lovely time settling in.
    .-= Lynne´s last blog ..Five Friday Faves =-.

19. Faye commented
    August 8th, 2009 at 3:03am

Hi Holly, great blog. I’ve been reading for a while but don’t think I’ve commented before. Glad to hear you have arrived safely, lots of magaines waiting for you sound like my idea of heaven! This poem below is probably one of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever been given. A teacher read it out at school once and it’s stayed with me ever since.

Risks
    (Author unknown)

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
    To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
    To reach for another is to risk involvement.
    To expose your ideas, your dreams,
    before a crowd is to risk their loss.
    To love is to risk not being loved in return.
    To live is to risk dying.
    To believe is to risk despair.
    To try is to risk failure.
    But risks must be taken, because the
    greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
    The people who risk nothing, do nothing,
    have nothing, are nothing.
    They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
    but they cannot learn, feel, change,
    grow, love, live.
    Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
    they have forfeited their freedom.
    Only a person who risks is free.

20. Leyla commented
    August 9th, 2009 at 1:22am

I just discovered your blog… And have already book marked the link!

The best advice I can share is to Live in the present moment, and to fully be aware… without worrying about the past or the future, the present moment can truly be appreciated for what it is… A gift & a miracle to be savored & cherished, because that is all we get… Live life to the fullest & don’t hold back…

Oh and one more… Don’t take it all so seriously.. it is all a game, and none of it matters in the end anyways =)

Have a great weekend!
    .-= Leyla´s last blog ..Do You Believe in Coincidence? =-.

21. Hazel commented
    August 9th, 2009 at 9:35am

Envious as always. Isn’t it great to be standing in a European airport and see signs posted for Istanbul or Sophia. So exotic.
    .-= Hazel´s last blog ..Precycling =-.

22. Alla commented
    August 9th, 2009 at 9:40am

Dear Holly,
    welcome to Germany- good to have you here!
    Alla

23. Farmgirl Susan commented
    August 9th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Holly, so glad you arrived safely at your new permanent home and are having fun sorting through all that mail. I’ve been loving the My Favorite Things series – each one was more inspiring than the last. I only discovered decor8 a few weeks ago and already I’m completely hooked – and have found so many other neat sites because of you. Thank you!

As for my favorite things, I am fortunate to be surrounded by so many here on the farm – everything from all the cute animal faces that greet me every day to piles of beautiful books to the vintage treasures I have scattered inside and out (I just found the most wonderful antique lawn sprinkler recently!) – but yesterday I stopped to breathe and take in one of my very favorites, and one of the simplest – clean cotton bedsheets on the laundry line gently billowing in the summer breeze. Wonderful.

P.S. Have you picked out your new shelter pup yet? ;)
    .-= Farmgirl Susan´s last blog ..Advice for New Vegetable Gardeners, What To Do with Radishes, and a Recipe for Radish Cream Cheese Spread / Dip with Parsley, Scallions and Feta =-.

24. Camilla commented
    August 10th, 2009 at 3:32am

I wasn’t given this advice but read it in a magazine, to paraphrase ‘don’t concentrate on the past that you can’t change, or the future that you can’t see. Concentrating on the present is the key to happiness’. So many of us forget that.

Incidentally, I wrote the piece on Twitter in that issue of Easy Living. Hope you enjoyed it!
    .-= Camilla´s last blog ..Anorak’s animal print picnic blankets =-.

25. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    August 10th, 2009 at 8:15am

How funny u got the same magazines as me, living etc, elle decor and in style!! I love those, if it were for me I will be buying and reading this magazine all day haha…
    .-= Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog ..MY LONDON – Le Chandelier tea room =-.

26. kristin commented
    August 10th, 2009 at 10:08am

I really like the magazine, Jamie. I picked one up at a bookstore a few months back and simply drooled all over the pictures inside. It was pure quality all around and I loved it!
    .-= kristin´s last blog ..10 Ways to Freshen Up Your Home =-.

27. ROOM design studio commented
    August 10th, 2009 at 12:02pm

Jamie oliver has a magazine?? I didnt know that!! thanks Holy for bringing the whole world between our hands!
    .-= ROOM design studio´s last blog ..Jen Altman tells Stories… =-.

28. Marie commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm

Living ETC is one of my faves. Lucky that you are so close to London. I used to live in London and miss it so much! This is the first time I’ve been to your site and I’m already glued to it. It’s inspiring and creative at the same time! I
    .-= Marie´s last blog ..Your Dwelling =-.