Home Tours

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

August 11, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Lisa Congdon

Hello! My name is Lisa Congdon. I am an artist who lives and works in San Francisco. I also co-own a design shop in San Francisco called Rare Device. I write a little blog with my puppy Wilfredo called The Adventures of Lisa and Wilfredo. I’m super excited to chat with you today about my apartment while Holly is moving as part of her  guest series, “A few of my favorite things.” Without further ado, here are a few of my favorite things in my apartment!

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

I collect vintage Japanese and Scandinavian kitchenware. I love how colorful it is. This shelf sits next to a window in my kitchen, and I love the way the light makes everything on the shelf so bright. It cheers me up every time I walk into my kitchen!

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

Recently my partner and I redecorated the apartment, and we decided to put shelves in the kitchen to store bulk food in jars. It’s a really great system, because now many of the items we use on a regular basis are labeled and we can see how much of everything we have on hand at a glance. The shelves sit under my plate wall, which is another really bold and cheerful spot in my kitchen.

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

One of the rooms we changed completely was the bedroom. We painted it blue (it was most recently dark brown!) and have created a really defined color scheme of blue, orange, green, white and black. We really love the light blue background with the bursts of color. It’s bright but also very calming. I think the bedroom is our new favorite room!

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

I love this little vignette in the bedroom. It features work by some of my favorite artists: Caitlin Keegan, Something’s Hiding in Here and Lorena Siminovich.

Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

This is the top of my dresser in the bedroom. It is an assemblage of some of my favorite things by more of my favorite artists: Something’s Hiding in Here (again!), Diana Fayt, Sara Paloma, Marina Luz, Chris Bettig and my sister Stephanie Congdon Barnes. It also includes my favorite photo of my partner and me, taken on my birthday this past January. I think it’s important to have peaceful things by your bedside.

I draw most of my inspiration for decorating from observing and working with color. My artwork is also very colorful, so it’s obviously an element that captivates me. Our apartment has very little natural light, since we are on the first floor of the building and are sandwiched between two other apartment buildings. As a result, I’ve had to create the illusion of a light, airy space with color choices. It’s been a really fantastic challenge.

I really enjoy creating vignettes in my apartment with objects and art. I think I have been doing this since I was a kid (I remember arranging and rearranging my room almost monthly as a little girl). I remember reading somewhere years ago that it is important to cluster like objects together when creating vignettes on shelves or other surfaces so that they look cohesive. For example, you choose one likeness: like in form, like in color(s), like in concept, etc, and then make your arrangement, varying items by height.

Thank you for joining me in my kitchen and bedroom! I hope you have enjoyed your visit. – Lisa

(images: Lisa Congdon)

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply visualingual August 11, 2009 at 8:22 am

Gorgeous! I’m a huge fan of Catherineholm as well, and I love your collection of those and other items displayed together. I especially like that blue wall color in some of the photos! Swoon!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Set of 4 Grandma’s Doily Gas Station Price Placemats =-.

• Reply Jeni August 11, 2009 at 8:28 am

Wow! Your apartment is really beautiful. I love your collection of Cathrineholm. The canisters especially are to die for! :D
    .-= Jeni´s last blog ..Meet George! =-.

• Reply melissa August 11, 2009 at 8:29 am

great post. i want to do the same thing with the hanging plates!

• Reply Sasha K. August 11, 2009 at 8:37 am

I love the collection of kitchenware! The colors are terrific. If only my tiny kitchen could fit a collection like that…
    .-= Sasha K.´s last blog ..WAVE necklace =-.

• Reply Arya August 11, 2009 at 9:04 am

Love your kitchen Lisa and your collection of vintage items is great.
    .-= Arya´s last blog ..Scandinavian Ceramics =-.

• Reply Nicole Smith August 11, 2009 at 9:36 am

I love the bright red!
    .-= Nicole Smith´s last blog ..*notes about yoga and the good life =-.

• Reply Autumn August 11, 2009 at 9:41 am

What a lovely and cheerful home you have created! Thank you for sharing it with us – a perfect boost of happy color to get the morning started.

Autumn
    .-= Autumn´s last blog ..Invitation Sample – Past Custom OFFSET Printed Suite =-.

• Reply Marit August 11, 2009 at 9:41 am

Wow! I love your apartment! Really nice!!
    .-= Marit´s last blog ..No one is ever gonna love you more than I allready do =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 11, 2009 at 9:47 am

Gorgeous…beautiful collections, beautiful artwork and wonderful colors! Thank you for sharing.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Wow… =-.

• Reply leslie August 11, 2009 at 9:58 am

I too love the plates! So fun! Great colors! Those canisters are fabulous too!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Guest at Creature Comforts =-.

• Reply ellen patton August 11, 2009 at 10:17 am

which link goes to the redheaded girl holding the camera?! i love that!!
    .-= ellen patton´s last blog ..China 1999 memories =-.

• Reply Kim August 11, 2009 at 10:28 am

Gorgeous! I love all of the colors!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Country Air =-.

• Reply Lindsay August 11, 2009 at 10:51 am

I love all the colors of paint you used!!! What a great idea using all the plates on the wall. I saw some great furniture… stacking cubes that were different colors at http://www.sassymia.com that would look great in the bedroom you changed…blue paint. Thanks for all the post and great ideas!!

• Reply kelly barton August 11, 2009 at 10:56 am

what a happy living space. love how she sets up all the wall space.
    thanks for sharing.
    .-= kelly barton´s last blog ....saturday.. =-.

• Reply Tabatha August 11, 2009 at 11:21 am

I love how you’re able to incorporate different colors and make it look soooo good! Thanks for letting us in to get a peak.
    .-= Tabatha´s last blog ..Enjoy! =-.

• Reply Leyla August 11, 2009 at 11:38 am

Lovely post Lisa! I am also a huge fan of color. Your apartment is super cute & injected with personal flare all over – and that’s why it’s so special!
    .-= Leyla´s last blog ..Weekly Hits & Misses =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 11, 2009 at 11:50 am

You have wonderful taste! I love all of your things! Lovely photos!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Betty Brader: Fashion Illustrator =-.

• Reply Dee August 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Lisa the shop is great! I’m a local who regularly shops at Rare Device and couldn’t be happier with the items I find there. Your use of orange and red is stunning! Happy to see another SF local here at Decor8!

• Reply Rosa August 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I love the prints over your bed! I wish you told us where you’d gotten them from. The black and white city one especially steals my heart.

• Reply gretchenmist/belinda August 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm

i love your colour choices ~ the blue wall is gorgeous. also love your collections :)
    .-= gretchenmist/belinda´s last blog ..saturday shopping list . our beautiful industry =-.

• Reply Rachel August 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I am completely in love with the picture of the girl with the camera! Where can I find it???
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..deadlines and more deadlines =-.

• Reply stephanie August 12, 2009 at 6:23 am

Lisa’s apartment is so cool! Great sense of color!

• Reply Ellen Patton August 12, 2009 at 8:58 am

The redhead holding the camera — can you send me the link to where you got that?! I’m a redheaded photographer. :) I love all your nifty decorations!
    .-= Ellen Patton´s last blog ..The three C’s =-.

• Reply Penny Patten August 12, 2009 at 9:29 am

Ahh color, how I love the colors in your kitchen. I’m a collector of Fiesta Ware, which is also very colorful. I also noticed your collection of small jars. My art room is full of jars holding all sorts of odd things. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

• Reply shannon August 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

Lovely, lovely! I love all the wonderful goodies on the shelf in the first shot (I want all of them) and her collection of plates! I couldn’t help adding this to our link luv roundup today, come by for a peek:

• Reply Katie Stephenson August 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

Lisa has started a revolution with that plate wall.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..Homemade Stamp Kit =-.

• Reply Hanna August 13, 2009 at 4:46 am

LOVELY with all the sparkeling coulors! I just love the orange birds!

• Reply Littlemisswedding August 13, 2009 at 8:02 am

Wow I love this post thanks for sharing with us. The Scandinavians are just so stylish I am not suprised that you love their kitchenware.
    .-= Littlemisswedding´s last blog ..Free Save the Date Wedding Stationery =-.

• Reply brittni: papernstitch August 13, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Lisa, your home is absolutely gorgeous! I especially love your blue walls and all the small vignettes you have created. Very inspiring.
    Brittni