Lisa Congdon: Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: Lisa Congdon

Hello! My name is Lisa Congdon. I am an artist who lives and works in San Francisco. I also co-own a design shop in San Francisco called Rare Device. I write a little blog with my puppy Wilfredo called The Adventures of Lisa and Wilfredo. I’m super excited to chat with you today about my apartment while Holly is moving as part of her  guest series, “A few of my favorite things.” Without further ado, here are a few of my favorite things in my apartment!

Lisa Congdon

I collect vintage Japanese and Scandinavian kitchenware. I love how colorful it is. This shelf sits next to a window in my kitchen, and I love the way the light makes everything on the shelf so bright. It cheers me up every time I walk into my kitchen!

Lisa Congdon

Recently my partner and I redecorated the apartment, and we decided to put shelves in the kitchen to store bulk food in jars. It’s a really great system, because now many of the items we use on a regular basis are labeled and we can see how much of everything we have on hand at a glance. The shelves sit under my plate wall, which is another really bold and cheerful spot in my kitchen.

Lisa Congdon

One of the rooms we changed completely was the bedroom. We painted it blue (it was most recently dark brown!) and have created a really defined color scheme of blue, orange, green, white and black. We really love the light blue background with the bursts of color. It’s bright but also very calming. I think the bedroom is our new favorite room!

Lisa Congdon

I love this little vignette in the bedroom. It features work by some of my favorite artists: Caitlin Keegan, Something’s Hiding in Here and Lorena Siminovich.

Lisa Congdon

This is the top of my dresser in the bedroom. It is an assemblage of some of my favorite things by more of my favorite artists: Something’s Hiding in Here (again!), Diana Fayt, Sara Paloma, Marina Luz, Chris Bettig and my sister Stephanie Congdon Barnes. It also includes my favorite photo of my partner and me, taken on my birthday this past January. I think it’s important to have peaceful things by your bedside.

I draw most of my inspiration for decorating from observing and working with color. My artwork is also very colorful, so it’s obviously an element that captivates me. Our apartment has very little natural light, since we are on the first floor of the building and are sandwiched between two other apartment buildings. As a result, I’ve had to create the illusion of a light, airy space with color choices. It’s been a really fantastic challenge.

I really enjoy creating vignettes in my apartment with objects and art. I think I have been doing this since I was a kid (I remember arranging and rearranging my room almost monthly as a little girl). I remember reading somewhere years ago that it is important to cluster like objects together when creating vignettes on shelves or other surfaces so that they look cohesive. For example, you choose one likeness: like in form, like in color(s), like in concept, etc, and then make your arrangement, varying items by height.

Thank you for joining me in my kitchen and bedroom! I hope you have enjoyed your visit. – Lisa

(images: Lisa Congdon)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on August 11, 2009

1. visualingual commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 8:22am

Gorgeous! I’m a huge fan of Catherineholm as well, and I love your collection of those and other items displayed together. I especially like that blue wall color in some of the photos! Swoon!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Set of 4 Grandma’s Doily Gas Station Price Placemats =-.

2. Jeni commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 8:28am

Wow! Your apartment is really beautiful. I love your collection of Cathrineholm. The canisters especially are to die for! :D
    .-= Jeni´s last blog ..Meet George! =-.

3. melissa commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 8:29am

great post. i want to do the same thing with the hanging plates!

4. Sasha K. commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 8:37am

I love the collection of kitchenware! The colors are terrific. If only my tiny kitchen could fit a collection like that…
    .-= Sasha K.´s last blog ..WAVE necklace =-.

5. Arya commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:04am

Love your kitchen Lisa and your collection of vintage items is great.
    .-= Arya´s last blog ..Scandinavian Ceramics =-.

6. Nicole Smith commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:36am

I love the bright red!
    .-= Nicole Smith´s last blog ..*notes about yoga and the good life =-.

7. Autumn commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:41am

What a lovely and cheerful home you have created! Thank you for sharing it with us – a perfect boost of happy color to get the morning started.

Autumn
    .-= Autumn´s last blog ..Invitation Sample – Past Custom OFFSET Printed Suite =-.

8. Marit commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:41am

Wow! I love your apartment! Really nice!!
    .-= Marit´s last blog ..No one is ever gonna love you more than I allready do =-.

9. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:47am

Gorgeous…beautiful collections, beautiful artwork and wonderful colors! Thank you for sharing.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Wow… =-.

10. leslie commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 9:58am

I too love the plates! So fun! Great colors! Those canisters are fabulous too!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Guest at Creature Comforts =-.

11. ellen patton commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 10:17am

which link goes to the redheaded girl holding the camera?! i love that!!
    .-= ellen patton´s last blog ..China 1999 memories =-.

12. Kim commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 10:28am

Gorgeous! I love all of the colors!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Country Air =-.

13. Lindsay commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 10:51am

I love all the colors of paint you used!!! What a great idea using all the plates on the wall. I saw some great furniture… stacking cubes that were different colors at http://www.sassymia.com that would look great in the bedroom you changed…blue paint. Thanks for all the post and great ideas!!

14. kelly barton commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 10:56am

what a happy living space. love how she sets up all the wall space.
    thanks for sharing.
    .-= kelly barton´s last blog ....saturday.. =-.

15. Tabatha commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 11:21am

I love how you’re able to incorporate different colors and make it look soooo good! Thanks for letting us in to get a peak.
    .-= Tabatha´s last blog ..Enjoy! =-.

16. Leyla commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 11:38am

Lovely post Lisa! I am also a huge fan of color. Your apartment is super cute & injected with personal flare all over – and that’s why it’s so special!
    .-= Leyla´s last blog ..Weekly Hits & Misses =-.

17. Jennifer commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 11:50am

You have wonderful taste! I love all of your things! Lovely photos!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Betty Brader: Fashion Illustrator =-.

18. Dee commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 1:05pm

Lisa the shop is great! I’m a local who regularly shops at Rare Device and couldn’t be happier with the items I find there. Your use of orange and red is stunning! Happy to see another SF local here at Decor8!

19. Rosa commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 1:42pm

I love the prints over your bed! I wish you told us where you’d gotten them from. The black and white city one especially steals my heart.

20. gretchenmist/belinda commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 6:49pm

i love your colour choices ~ the blue wall is gorgeous. also love your collections :)
    .-= gretchenmist/belinda´s last blog ..saturday shopping list . our beautiful industry =-.

21. Rachel commented
    August 11th, 2009 at 7:58pm

I am completely in love with the picture of the girl with the camera! Where can I find it???
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..deadlines and more deadlines =-.

22. stephanie commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 6:23am

Lisa’s apartment is so cool! Great sense of color!

23. Ellen Patton commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 8:58am

The redhead holding the camera — can you send me the link to where you got that?! I’m a redheaded photographer. :) I love all your nifty decorations!
    .-= Ellen Patton´s last blog ..The three C’s =-.

24. Penny Patten commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 9:29am

Ahh color, how I love the colors in your kitchen. I’m a collector of Fiesta Ware, which is also very colorful. I also noticed your collection of small jars. My art room is full of jars holding all sorts of odd things. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

25. shannon commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 10:24am

Lovely, lovely! I love all the wonderful goodies on the shelf in the first shot (I want all of them) and her collection of plates! I couldn’t help adding this to our link luv roundup today, come by for a peek:

26. Katie Stephenson commented
    August 12th, 2009 at 10:31am

Lisa has started a revolution with that plate wall.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..Homemade Stamp Kit =-.

27. Hanna commented
    August 13th, 2009 at 4:46am

LOVELY with all the sparkeling coulors! I just love the orange birds!

28. Littlemisswedding commented
    August 13th, 2009 at 8:02am

Wow I love this post thanks for sharing with us. The Scandinavians are just so stylish I am not suprised that you love their kitchenware.
    .-= Littlemisswedding´s last blog ..Free Save the Date Wedding Stationery =-.

29. brittni: papernstitch commented
    August 13th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Lisa, your home is absolutely gorgeous! I especially love your blue walls and all the small vignettes you have created. Very inspiring.
    Brittni