Guest Bloggers

papernstitch: Favorite Things

August 12, 2009

A few of my favorite things: papernstitch

Hello everyone, I’m Brittni from papernstitch. I’m visiting you today to share a few favorite things around my house. I live with my husband and our two animals in a small (less than 1,000 square feet) bungalow in Florida. Because of the size of our home, we try to keep clutter to a minimum by featuring only the things we love most. But there are still plenty of little trinkets and nooks in our house that inspire me everyday.

papernstitch: Favorite Things

One thing in particular that I absolutely adore is my vintage typewriter. It’s my favorite color, light blue, and in great working condition. So, whenever I have something really important to say (and my computer simply won’t do), I spend a little time in this writing corner collecting my thoughts.

papernstitch: Favorite Things

I feel it’s important to surround yourself with things you love, and being an artist myself, the thing I love most is art. I really enjoy collecting pieces from other artists, whether it be photographs, paintings, drawings, or even prints. This wall is in my home office, where I spend most of my time, so I am able to stare at some of the pieces I love most everyday. I decided to create a cluster that was more color focused here, and mixed an Ashley G postcard with a Selflesh mixed-media drawing and a local artist’s photograph. The photo is by an old friend of mine’s brother, who I have lost touch with. But every time I look at it, I am reminded of that time in my life, and it brings back a warm feeling inside.

papernstitch: Favorite Things

Since I spend much of my time sitting at a desk, its only natural that one of my favorite things is an office accessory. It’s my antique, cork pencil holder that I use for storing odds and ins, and one of my most prized possessions: a picture of my grandmother. Whenever I visit her and my grandfather in California, I raid their photo albums for pictures I can bring home and display. This picture was taken when my grandma was my age, so it’s extra special. I love her hair!

papernstitch: Favorite Things

After a long day, this hand-cut chihuahua woodblock print always brings a smile to my face. I picked it up at an art opening a couple of years ago, and it greets visitors as they walk in our front door. It has certainly become a conversation piece amongst friends.

papernstitch: Favorite Things

And finally, my last favorite thing: the third shelf of our bookcase, which houses no books at all. Just a couple more family photos, a Viceroy automatic super 8, and my old Polaroid land camera.

Obviously, my affinity for vintage pieces has, in part, guided the way I decorate my home; but I am also influenced and inspired by the combination of clean, modern lines and more organic shapes and forms. Individually, I am inspired by many things… patterns and repetition in nature, bold color, and mid-century design to name a few. Which, I think, is reflected in my home.

To wrap up my favorite things, I thought I would share something that I try to live by when searching for art for my home, since it is something that I am so passionate about. Often when people are just starting to buy artwork, it can be intimidating. I remember when I bought my first “real” piece of art, I was unsure…Where do I start? What should I buy? Buy what you love. It doesn’t matter if it’s an original or a print, a well-known artist or someone you have just discovered, paper or canvas, small or large. Just buy what you love and you can never go wrong. I have heard this so many times, and it couldn’t be more true. –Brittni

(images from papernstitch)

23 Comments

• Reply Tricia McKellar August 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Brittni, Thanks so much for the peek at your home! Love your advice to buy what you love! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..Pastoral with Tree (2451), 16×20 Fine Art Photograph by Tricia McKellar =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 12, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Oh I’m simply in LOVE with your typewriter and in my favorite shade as well!!! Thank you for sharing your favorite things, all very lovely!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..If you thought Kate Spade was only for accessories……… =-.

• Reply brittni: papernstitch August 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so, so much Holly for inviting me to share my favorite things. I had so much fun putting this together.
    -Brittni
    .-= brittni: papernstitch´s last blog ..Wednesday Workstations (an introduction) =-.

• Reply Janelle August 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Gorgeous, Brittni! Thanks for sharing!

Janelle
    .-= Janelle´s last blog ..Collages =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie August 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I adore your typewriter! So pretty and fun to use I bet! Thanks for sharing your favorites with us!

• Reply gretchenmist/belinda August 12, 2009 at 4:59 pm

oooh, thanks Brittni for showing off my little collage next to your gorgeous blue typewriter. the chihuahua is fantastic! great to see some of your favourite things :)
    .-= gretchenmist/belinda´s last blog ..a new mixed media piece by our young artist =-.

• Reply Kim August 12, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I love the typewriter and old cameras! Such lovely vintage items! And its great that you actually use the typewriter!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What I Would Wear…If I Was An Olsen Twin =-.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Ah Brittni, these lovely vignettes around your home are just perfect! Ha, love that chihuahua. Thanks so much for sharing this with us… and thank you Holly for this feature. -Amy
    .-= Amy´s last blog ... . Illustrated by Madi. =-.

• Reply Cookie Cutter August 12, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I share your love for vintage items and your typewriter is absolutely the cutest! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply honey living August 12, 2009 at 8:49 pm

i very much enjoyed your post and agree that a home should reflect the things you love and the places you’ve been. based on what you’re saying about the mix of styles you like, i think you might enjoy the pictures in this post of mine from a few weeks ago:

.-= honey living´s last blog ..tiny treasures…spray away =-.

• Reply Minnie August 12, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Very nice peek. You sound like someone who tries to live authentically. I have such a nice visual of you sitting at your typewriter, writing a nice note to someone you love or to yourself. I especially adore your vintage cork pencil cup and that you raid your grandmother’s photos. I was just visiting with my kids’ great-grandmother (she’s in her 90s) today and trying to gather the courage to ask whether she could part with a couple of her photos or maybe her coffee table which she bought in the 1940s for $7! (Sigh) Why does vintage have such an appeal?
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Going organic the easy way =-.

• Reply Sarah August 12, 2009 at 10:35 pm

the chihuahua is the best!!! I love seeing where people live especially when it’s as cool as that!

• Reply Naomi August 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Hello Brittni,
    What a cute collection of lovely corners you have! I loved the dog on the wall so much I straight away looked for an image online and printed our new wall-cat!!! I’m loving it! Every time I walk by it makes me smile! Right now we can’t have pets and as I grew up surrounded by them, it’s something I rather missed- until I saw your post!!! :)
    .-= Naomi´s last blog ..Monday Morning Leaves =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 12, 2009 at 11:09 pm

SO many wonderful vintage pieces and a beautiful and well edited home! Thank you so much for sharing Brittni!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..For my readers: Bailey doesn’t bark =-.

• Reply Megan August 12, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Loved the sneek peek. Thanks for the great art advice.
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..Chandeliers for the Faint Hearted =-.

• Reply lesley August 12, 2009 at 11:39 pm

fun post! i love the last bookshelf, vintage collections are such fun. thanks for the peek!
    .-= lesley´s last blog ..hallowe’en on the brain =-.

• Reply simply hue August 13, 2009 at 12:19 am

Brittni has to be one of the sweetest people I’ve met through blogging and I loved getting a peek at her favorite things. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Oh no! =-.

• Reply Alpha Shanahan August 13, 2009 at 2:01 am

I miss my old typewriter! How lovely that you share the wonderful things which inspire your days. It always is a lifting experience to visit your blog.
    Thanks…
    .-= Alpha Shanahan´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply martha August 13, 2009 at 7:12 am

I love the little print next to the typewriter -where is that from?

• Reply Shanon August 13, 2009 at 9:42 am

It’s so fun to see your place Brittni! It’s as fun and creative as you are. =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..It’s another Glory morning =-.

• Reply brittni: papernstitch August 13, 2009 at 10:15 am

Oh! Everyone’s comments here just mean the world to me. I love reading through them. Since several of you like the vintage typewriter, I thought I would mention that I actually bought it online from Vixen and Prudence: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7070642
    They have some really great vintage cameras in their shop right now too.

And Martha- the piece next to the typewriter is an original collage by Belinda of Gretchin Mist: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5697669
    .-= brittni: papernstitch´s last blog ..Shop of the Day =-.

• Reply Amy August 13, 2009 at 10:55 am

Love the chihuahua!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Real Bloggers: Lisa from Parallel Botany =-.

• Reply leni August 13, 2009 at 7:10 pm

beautiful items!
    .-= leni´s last blog ..Short term vs. Long term [Project Me] =-.