Hello From Holly

Hello everyone, it’s me Holly (remember me?)! Just dropping by to give you all a giant virtual hug and to let you know that all is well concerning our relocation though our 82 boxes haven’t shipped yet from Boston so it will be at least a few months before we see our belongings. Fortunately, I have everything I need while I’m waiting so I can’t complain. So! How are you doing? What’s new in your life?

Soft and natural

I’ve had such a great first “official week” as a German girl so far, minus the pigtails and beer. I still cannot believe I’m here living and working. It’s a “pinch me” feeling, I still wake up thinking I’m in New Hampshire and then open my eyes realizing I’m not the moment I look out of the window at all of the pretty brick roofs. The weather has been the perfect Summer temps with lots of sunshine and at night, cool breezes that I’ve been enjoying as I run around the city doing this and that. The cafes and gelato cafes are PACKED day and night, it’s a great time of year to be here with so much activity and a fun local festival around a giant lake with food booths, live bands and even an “American” hamburger place — all waterfront and fun!

mags donated to me :)

A friend of mine that I met last year for the first time though we had emailed before that, Esra, saved magazines for me since I left in December so I have so many design and decorating mags to enjoy in the late evening when all is still and peaceful. She even collected a bunch from years past from her personal collection and gave them to me as a present, along with catalogs like H&M Home. I don’t think I need to buy magazines for months! Check out my newly acquired stash above. Hollah,woot woot! I feel so loved! Would you like to come hang out with me and go through these piles with me? Thank you, Esra!

Lovely Hat

And while I was out and about yesterday at the farmers’ market, I picked up 20 roses for only 5,- Euros! Aren’t these gorgeous? I can’t wait for them to all open so I can split this bouquet into other vases and place them by my bed, too. I feel so spoiled with the lovely flower markets and stores all over the city — and the prices are so inexpensive for the quality. Plus, it’s fun to see what is new at the markets each week. Things are very seasonal and so the flowers and veggies change all of the time. I really like this, it’s fun to have four seasons just as I did when I lived back in New England. I have to live in a climate where four seasons are to anticipate. It’s exciting!

Friday morning....

I’ve missed you all but I’ll be back to blogging full-time again August 24th, and by the way I’m making “My Favorite Things” into a single weekly column so if you are interested in participating, please let me know. I cannot accept all submissions, just so you’re aware and don’t beat me up if I’m unable to post yours.

I’ve been busy getting together paperwork, changing insurance, applying for a visa, you name it – my days are full right now but I’m enjoying the freedom of working only part-time now as I’m only working on decor8 3-4 hours per day vs. the usual full day so I’m able to get so much done while my lovely guest bloggers cover for me. I hope you’ve been loving all of their articles as much as I’ve enjoyed reading them! -Holly

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 14, 2009

1. sarah ahearn bellemare commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 9:37am

sounds wonderful holly! v. jealous of the mags! big congratulations and enjoy settling into your new home… such fun. love that “pinch me” feeling too : )
    thanks again for having me here…it was such a treat!
    xo,*s
    .-= sarah ahearn bellemare´s last blog ..more guest blogging! =-.

2. Cathie commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 9:55am

design/decorating mags & fresh flowers, what can beat that?
    .-= Cathie´s last blog ..legos: part ll =-.

3. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 9:55am

Totally Cathie. Nothing beats it. Just add chocolate. :)

4. Rachel B. commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 9:57am

It sounds like you’re having a fabulous time! The images in this post are gorgeous- I can’t wait for all the new stories and interesting finds you’ll share with us now that you’re a “German girl”! (minus the pigtails and beer, of course : ) )
    .-= Rachel B.´s last blog ..A Wednesday Freebie! =-.

5. BODIE and FOU commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:01am

Your photos of the roses are beautiful and I’m glad everything is going very well. Usually moving is a bit stressful but you were obviously super organised!

6. Sam commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:03am

looks like you’re settling in beautifully! wow..the magazines. oh, so jealous here.
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Save the Thread =-.

7. Natalie commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:05am

Who needs boxes of “stuff” when you’ve got pretty magazines and fresh flowers?

8. Paula Prass commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:07am

I’ve followed you for..ever. You’re like a comfort food. I rarely comment, just devour. But here I am wanting to speak up. I haven’t been to Germany since 1984, but I would come again just to sit and flip through those magazines and go to market w/ you to get some roses. Thanks for keeping in touch.
    .-= Paula Prass´s last blog ..PRESS & WOODLAND DELIGHTED =-.

9. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:08am

Paula you’re so cute! Man, 1984?? OH MY! That was a long time ago… SO much has changed here. Come anytime, I’m NOT kidding. I’ll meet you for coffee and cake. :)

10. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:09am

Natalie – Because those boxes of “stuff” are more pretty magazines, and books, and fabric… he he. But totally, I can live like this. I’m not slumming for sure. :)

11. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:13am

Bodie & Fou – I must reveal that I have experience with international relocation, just not my own. I was a relo manager for a mega company back in the states so I had to move our employees around from the states to Europe frequently. I was also an immigration manager, so I know all about visas and such for expats too, at least those moving out of the states to either Canada or the EU. Now of course, laws have changed but with the background knowledge and experience I had, I knew what potential roadblocks could arise so I coordinated everything in a very OCD way, dotting every “i” and crossing each “t”. Had I not had this experience, I may have had a tougher time. Plus, Thorsten is German and from this city so of course that helps, and that I can read a little German is helpful too. Trust me, I’m not some well organized super girl, I just happen to know about moving and stuff. Plus, when Thorsten moved over to Boston from Germany back in ’01 I had to get his visa and coordinate some of his move details, so I just have to reverse everything now. :)

12. hello, friend. commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:14am

AW holly we miss you!! so glad you’re there safe :)

what a dream! to live in Europe. you can seriously just hop on ryan air and fly to some other amazing country for the weekend or something. that’s what i would do all the time, hehe.

xo.
    danni
    .-= hello, friend.´s last blog ..last week’s winners: =-.

13. Yansy commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:18am

It sounds like you’re having such an amazing time. I’m dying to go to Germany, I’ve been all over Europe but never made it there. Perhaps, I can go next summer and I would love to meet you person. Tara Hogan speaks very highly of you.
    .-= Yansy´s last blog ..City Escapes – Richmond, VA =-.

14. mamaloves commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:19am

Yay!! It’s nice to hear from you Holly. Can’t wait to have you back full time.
    .-= mamaloves´s last blog ..today i’m grateful for… =-.

15. Colleen commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:34am

It is always such a pleasure to hear (see) from you!!! This is a beautiful room.

16. Kim commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:35am

Gorgeous roses! Glad to hear your enjoying Germany! =)
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..American Girl =-.

17. Ann commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:47am

Gorgeous roses, woohoo on the mags, and I’m SUPER excited because two of my cards are being published in CARDS magazine! Wooohoooooo!!!! Happy weekend! :D
    .-= Ann´s last blog ..It’s Here! =-.

18. samantha commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 10:53am

I just love magazines from other countries, I picked up some from France while on holiday, and i hang on to Ikea catalogs because I cant get them at home so when I do get my hands on one I keep them. Love the roses, bet they smell really sweet.
    .-= samantha´s last blog ..Inspired by a good cuppa =-.

19. Susannah commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:06am

20 roses for just 5 euros? that’s amazing! maybe i need a sabbatical in Germany :)

welcome to your new home, Holly! xo
    .-= Susannah´s last blog ..~ My Creative Life: Camilla Engman ~ =-.

20. ana commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:09am

Living and more are the best magazines ever. I live two countries south from you (Slovenia) and they do not ship it here. I love your Bali tin box and the flowers. Well, beautiful flowers are for beautiful ladies anyway, aren’t they :))
    .-= ana´s last blog ..Pisane bele stene =-.

21. Shanon commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:12am

Hi Holly! Glad to hear things are going so well! You’ve left us in good hands, so sink into the magazines for a nice long time. But I’ll/we’ll be waiting for your return. =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..It’s another Glory morning =-.

22. ACCIDENTAL Chic commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:19am

This post is my inspiration for the day. I am picking up some fresh flowers on my way and curling up with the stacks of magazines on my coffee table. Glad to see I’m not the only one with loads of magazine on their table! Love the vase by the way.
    .-= ACCIDENTAL Chic´s last blog ..Victoria Beckham: now a full-time "Posh" Designer =-.

23. Amy commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:29am

So jealous of your fantastic stash of magazines!!!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Another Swedish apartment I could live in… =-.

24. Nuit commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:35am

WOW Holly, the pile of magazines looks yummy! I am so happy to hear from you and your new adventures as a German girl ;) best wishes from the other side of the world!! (the Mexican Pacific that is…) xox
    Nuit
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..If this doesn’t scream WEEKEND, I don’t know what does! =-.

25. Denise commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 11:42am

The roses are stunning-!! From the looks of the background looking so refreshing, I predict you will never open the 84 boxes when they do come.

Enjoy Germany……….

Denise
    .-= Denise ´s last blog ..TO-THE-TRADE FABRICS FOR TRAVIS BANTON LEADING LADIES =-.

26. Christy commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Oh, how I envy you…
    A comfy couch a stack of wonderful magazines to look at and when you get tired of those you can gaze back at those beautiful roses! Give me a cup of tea and I could be content for hours.

Best wishes Holly
    and “danke vielmals” for the Real Simple post!
    .-= Christy´s last blog ..roses and rosie cheeks =-.

27. Little Lovables commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 12:50pm

wow, how exciting for you! what beautiful flowers as well

28. Lisa Golightly commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 12:52pm

Congrats on the move! I can’t wait to live vicariously through your adventures!

29. Brooke H commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 1:10pm

Your apartment is looking great, and I’m so jealous of all those mags! can’t wait to hae you back here full time, but enjoying your guests in the mean time.

30. Merissa commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 1:14pm

Aloha Holly!
    It’s great to hear an update from you in Germany. Everything you describe about your new hometown sounds like a romantic movie!…including the magazines late at night, hehe.
    Love the cute white vase and local roses you purchased at the market. The wall of art in the background is such a pretty backdrop :)
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..:A New Sketch: =-.

31. Esra commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 1:51pm

You´re very welcome honey he he he… You know that I´m obsessed when it comes to great magazines xoxo
    .-= Esra´s last blog ..Sultan´s Blue Ink =-.

32. eva commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 2:03pm

oh wow, so I’m not the only magazine – junkie in the world? I must tell this to my husband, he has hard time believing how can one person “eat” magazines!
    Wonderful pile of magazines and of course, most wonderful friend you have!
    .-= eva´s last blog ..I finally … =-.

33. Kiran commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 2:15pm

Hi Holly!
    I am a newcomer to your site! And I am absolutely loving it! I love decor8 and all of your ideas. Good luck in Germany :)
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Travelogue Part 2 – Insomnia =-.

34. Michelle | When I Grow Up Coach commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 3:02pm

Oh Holly, I’m so glad to hear how amazing everything is for you in Germany! You paint such a fantabulous picture – of both the beautiful home you created & the world outside your door – that I just put Germany on my list of places to visit. And the fact that they have a hamburger joint there – clincher!

Enjoy your settling-in time, & say a big “Guten Tag” to your hubby for me!
    .-= Michelle | When I Grow Up Coach´s last blog ..Always/Never =-.

35. Katherine commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 4:20pm

I know I already said so on your Flickr photos, but those roses are gorgeous, some of them are similar to my wedding bouquet. And what a brilliant friend collecting all those magazines for you! i prefer to give mine away over recycling them to make sure someone else gets some enjoyment out of them.

Looking forward to reading the results of your assignment!
    .-= Katherine´s last blog ..Living the dream =-.

36. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 4:49pm

I’ll be right over! :) That looks heavenly and your activities there sound heavenly as well! *sigh* So happy you are settling in and having a wonderful time! We miss you but, enjoying all the lovely posts SO much! So, thank you hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Kari Herer =-.

37. Diana commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 5:06pm

Hi Holly – good to “hear” from you! I am so jealous of your gelato :-) I would love to help you devour those magazine stacks – tee!

I’m going to think about submitting something for your shiny new “My Favorite Things” column – I take it we should submit via the “Contact” tab?
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Creative Packaging =-.

38. Kara commented
    August 14th, 2009 at 9:04pm

Congrats Holly! Those flowers are beautiful! Enjoy yourself!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Lovely Leandra Drumm Switchplates =-.

39. robin commented
    August 15th, 2009 at 2:39am

what a bright sunny room! i’m glad you’re taking some time to enjoy it and get settled! we miss you :O)
    .-= robin´s last blog ..Wiiiiiiiiiii! =-.

40. Victoria Klein commented
    August 15th, 2009 at 3:48pm

With all the hard work you have put into decor8 over the past few years, you more than deserve a bit of a break, even if you personal life still keeps you busy :)

I’d would be overjoyed to participate in the new weekly “My Favorite Things” column – should I just email you directly with a full post or get your approval first?

41. Lea commented
    August 16th, 2009 at 3:05am

Herzlich Willkommen in Deutschland! Looking forward to read your “german” posts soon!
    .-= Lea´s last blog ..Sommerimpressionen =-.

42. designermarkt.blogspot.com commented
    August 16th, 2009 at 11:22am

Von mir auch ein herzliches “Willkommen in Deutschland”.
    Wünsche dir einen super Start hier. Ich bin mir ganz sicher, dass sich deine Fangemeinde sehr schnell enorm vergrößern wird und viele neue Leser werden, so wie ich, von deinem Blog begeistert sein.

Liebe Grüße
    I??l

43. jen jafarzadeh commented
    August 16th, 2009 at 6:09pm

a city full of gelato cafes sounds like the perfect place to be! congrats on what sounds like a pretty smooth move — so excited to see what you’re experiencing over there.
    .-= jen jafarzadeh´s last blog ..happy weekend =-.

44. Cookie Cutter commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 9:24am

Hi Holly, I’m finding now that I can look at an image of an interior and tell that it’s you. You have a decor style that’s so uniquely you!
    I would love to participate in “My Favourite Things” (raises hand shyly). Should I submit a full post or obtain a go-ahead from you first?
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Relive the years – Vintage Children’s book =-.

45. Shannon commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 3:37pm

Hi Holly!
    Welcome to your new home! I can’t wait to see all the goodies you have to show us when you get back online! So happy to hear you are keeping the favorite things series going – it’s been fabulous!
    I would love to be a part of it! What’s the process? Do we send you an email with a full post, or should we wait to hear directly from you first?
    It’s been so inspirational to see and I would be over the moon to be included!
    Enjoy your break and have fun!!!!! We’ve all been missing you :)

46. Sandra@Botany's commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 7:15pm

I don’t know what’s in those magazines but I want them all!!!! So jealous. I would take two days off from work and sit for hours going through those magazines.

47. Dana commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 11:54am

Your blog is lovely, a truly inspiration, thank you so much!!!
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..Because Art is for Everyone =-.