Guest Bloggers

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

August 14, 2009

A few of my favorite things: sfgirlbybay

Hello and greetings from San Francisco! I’m Victoria Smith from sfgirlbybay and I’m visiting here on decor8 while Holly is getting her life set up in Germany. I live in a one bedroom in beautiful San Francisco, California and honestly, I have so many ‘things’ but today I’m sharing some of the pieces around my apartment that mean the most to me. Thanks so much for including me, Holly, and best wishes with the move!

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

My vintage portrait collection. I love these crazy, quirky and kitschy paintings. They started with Rico Suave (that’s him with the ‘wide lapels’) and his family has grown to include Emma Lou, his girlfriend, and her brother Narcoleptic Leo, among others. I love finding these at the flea market and adding to the family!

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

My barstools. A friend pointed these out to me at the flea market and I knew I had to have them. I repainted them in a nice crisp white (they were icky cream colored and chipping) and I recovered the seats with my handy dandy staple gun (the lazy girls friend) with some vintage drapery panel fabric. I love when guests sit here and chat with me while I cook in the kitchen.

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

My Eames Rocker. Most of what’s in my apartment in second-hand, found at the flea market, or on craigslist, but my Eames RAR Rocker I bought new at Velocity Art & Design, and I love it. It’s really comfortable, and I love the modern touch it adds to the vintage-inspired, eclectic mix I have going on in my living room.

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

My ceramics collection. I love this little collection of white and aqua colored pottery. My uncle started me with a beautiful vase he made me, and I love adding to the collection. Nothing is too expensive, and mostly flea market finds (even some IKEA pieces thrown in!). I threw my new vintage globe into the mix, too. It just seemed to belong there because of it’s color.

sfgirlbybay: Favorite Things

My vintage pillows. I love these funky pillows – again found at the flea market. I like that they are one of a kind (at least I’ve never seen another like them!) and are made from uniquely beautiful vintage fabrics. And they cheer up all my very white bedding!

I get inspired by many things… my friends, films, books and galleries – mostly creativity of any kind, but photography especially. A few years ago, I gave up television – I don’t own one. However, I am completely addicted to flickr, so there you go. But I found TV to be such a time suck and one I never got much out of. Whereas perusing flickr constantly inspires me with all the thoughtful and beautiful photography. I’ve been taking photography classes and it has become my main hobby, and obsession. I think even the sfgirlbybay blog has been affected by it, because I find myself drawn more and more to featuring inspiring photography with the readers.

I think my favorite advice came from an unknown resource. I don’t know who first said, “Do what you love and you will succeed at it”, but I really believe this philosophy. All my life I wanted to do work in a creative field, and although I worked as an art buyer in the advertising industry for many years, there’s nothing like the feeling I get being able to combine my three great loves into the blog – writing, photography and design. They just encapsulate everything that inspires me, and writing sfgirlbybay on a daily basis has become the perfect career path for me. I am very fortunate. – Victoria

(images: victoria smith)

• Reply Christy August 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Victoria, I adore your blog and visit it often! I think we share a love of aqua blue pottery. Thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely home!
    .-= Christy´s last blog ..roses and rosie cheeks =-.

• Reply Megan August 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Victoria! I LOVE this post… and always love your blog as well. The portrait and ceramics collections are just adorable! If I didn’t have ten million other collections, I’d start one of each… maybe I’ll have to do it anyway. :) Inspirational.
    Thanks for posting!

Holly, hope the move-in is going well. I’m really loving the guest posts.

• Reply alex*strawberry lemonade August 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm

oooooh i love those vintage portraits. what a happy friday to see sfgirlbybay’s world colliding with the lovely holly’s!! Weeee!

happy weekend all!
    .-= alex*strawberry lemonade´s last blog ..Diorama Drama. =-.

• Reply Marlene August 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Very warm and unique apartment. I like the three different pillows on the sofa.
    .-= Marlene´s last blog ..Whimsical Bird Print =-.

• Reply Leyla August 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I’m very glad I discovered your blog today! I’m also obsessed with photography and agree with you that TV is the biggest time-waster, although I can’t give it up completely yet, I limit it to 1 hour a day… You’ve got a beautiful home, thank you for sharing!
    .-= Leyla´s last blog ..How to Take Magazine-Style Photos for Online Listings =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Ooh I love the aqua and white pottery collection!!!!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Mirror Mirror……..On My Vanity =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 14, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I never get tired of seeing Victoria’s beautiful home. Such gorgeous and singular touches….I love the tiny little ball in the eames rocker. Thank you for sharing this with us, it is beautiful!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Kari Herer =-.

• Reply Angie August 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I love your favorite things! I need a couch like yours — where is it from?? I’ve been looking and looking…

Also, hooray for no t.v.! I just moved from a two-BR w/ a roomie to a one-BR, and I gave up t.v., too. My friends think I’m nutty but I’m already loving using my free time elsewhere.

• Reply Jenn August 14, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Love all the white with splashes of colour! A beautiful home.
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Bubbling with excitement =-.

• Reply Annie May August 15, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Great advice! I really do believe in this philosophy! I love that 4-leaf clover pillow on your bed, too cute! I believe in these as well:-) Wonderful blog and your Flickr Faves today are sooo beautiful!
    .-= Annie May´s last blog ..Donna Wilson, you make me smile! =-.

• Reply Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie August 15, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Love your philosophy that something I live by everyday. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie´s last blog ..“Perfect day for a white wedding” =-.

• Reply Sarah August 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I have coveted an Eames Rocker for a couple of years and am on the hunt for a pink one…Love your pics and your inspirations.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..COLD REMEDY: Burton =-.

• Reply Nicola August 16, 2009 at 3:15 am

Love your vintage globe – I just missed out on one at an auction the other day. I’ll have to keep looking!
    .-= Nicola´s last blog ..Beautiful Home via Inside Out Magazine =-.

• Reply Ann Shumbo August 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I am absolutely in love with your vintage paintings. I have recently started a blog and will be posting some of mine. All from flea markets….right now they hang in my bathroom and office. I love how you have them over the couch and have a nickname Rico – LOVE IT! I have the busty lady – will post sometime. I was drooling over your pottery collection too!
    .-= Ann Shumbo´s last blog ..My Obsession =-.

• Reply Jamie August 17, 2009 at 1:40 am

Always love Victoria’s style, nice to see her favorite things.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..weekend party time =-.

• Reply Tricia McKellar August 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Victoria, I love your stuff! especially the portrait collection! Rico Suave– I wonder if he’s still around… what he’s up to… how many broken hearts he’s left in his wake… Lovely apartment! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..Seaside TTV, 8×8 Fine Art Photograph by Tricia McKellar. Vintage meets Modern. (7105) =-.

• Reply Katie Stephenson August 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Oh, I just adore your home. It’s just perfect. I don’t blame you for picking those bar stools as one of your favorite things. They are divine.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..Gocco Card Sale at Paperleaf =-.

• Reply meggitymegs August 18, 2009 at 10:33 am

Oh, how I long for a white sofa. Unfortunately, I think my long-haired black dog would love lying on it too much. I always enjoy your blog and your selections are perfectly assembled. Love the globe!
    .-= meggitymegs´s last blog ..Space Pod Earrings =-.

• Reply victoria August 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm

my apologies for not checking in sooner! it’s been a busy week and last time i checked there were only four comments. my faux pas!

thank you for all the lovely comments about my place, and to holly for having me!

the sofa is from room & board and i believe is called the Metro (it used to be the Modern). the great thing about it is it’s all slip covered, so i just toss it in the wash when it gets dirty. spots come out great, too!
    .-= victoria´s last blog ..keeping cozy. =-.