Bloesem: Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: Bloesem

Such a lovely invitation arrived in my inbox the other day sharing my favorite things with you, dear decor8 readers. My name is Irene and perhaps you know me from my blog Bloesem and or BloesemKids. About two years ago my husband and I moved to Kuala Lumpur and are enjoying the Asian way of life. After living in apartments since I left my family home it was time to move to a actual home ourselves as our family had expanded with two fantastic boys. The new place feels like a ‘castle’ to me and I still have to get used to all the space, to make it a bit more ‘gezellig’ (=cozy, a Dutch word Dutch people love to use when talking about their home) I tried to create some small corners in our home showcasing the pieces that have a special meaning to you… so here we go!

Bloesem

The cabinet was one of the first contemporary pieces my husband and I bought together in great vintage store in Toronto, Bungalow. Luckily for me my husband loves to be part of decorating our home, he loves to buy art books and has a passion for lights. So one day he brought home the beautiful Joe Colombo light, which we truly enjoy every day and yes, Sandra Juto lives in our living-room, I just find her artwork amazing!

Bloesem

I grew up with these lovely vintage books by Rie Cramer and my mom made me really happy this week when I found them in our mailbox … it gives me a feel of ‘home’ and that is something you really need when living so far apart from your family, I miss my mom enormously … the clock is by Dutch designer Dick van Hoff and perhaps you recognize the felt trivet from my dear friend Arounna.

Bloesem

We just moved into this house (2 months ago) and we are still moving around our furniture to see where everything fits best and I finally have a good feel by putting the dining or should I say ‘work-and-read’ table here … we bought the marble table here in KL and I’m so happy with this purchase, I love the cold looking marble especially in this warm climate. The bookshelf was bought a long time ago in Amsterdam together with the original Herman Miller chairs…and yes now it’s time to hang some of my favorite prints on the our wall, Maditi you will definitely be here, the prints are finally off to the print shop and hopefully next week your beautiful pictures get the place they so much deserve…

Bloesem

Some of you perhaps know that I recently gave birth to our second son, called Kiet and during that time I received some amazing gifts from friends and B:Kids readers, including the gorgeous wooden block puzzle from Fidoodle. They are so beautifully made that I have given them a place downstairs in our living-room and yes it relaxes me when playing with them…the lovely little bird print is from the amazing artist Reka Kiraly.

Bloesem

This is Lode’s room, our three year old son and now when I still am able to decide what his room looks like I decided to hang the gorgeous alphabet prints from Ida Pearle on his wall. My sister, a mom of two boys too, recently warned that soon these walls will turn into sports, transformers, motor… the bright yellow chair comes from a shop here in Chinatown, sorry but I have to admit it’s an original copy-cat …I love to collect vintage little golden books, but my son is of course allowed to read them whenever he feels like it…

Bloesem

And finally …. our bed, my absolute favorite thing in the world, what should we do without it…at night I think about my life, my dreams, our family and when Holly asked me to share with you some of my favorite quotes this one popped-up into my head immediately :: live life to the fullest :: perhaps not very original, but sooooo true and I also like this one :: Do all things with love :: I’m a strong believer in living your life passionately, embrace it and try to smile at least once a day… music from Angie Stone, Alicia Keys, Freddie Mercury and Elvis Costello always helps me to do this.

Thanks Holly for the invite, wish you a smooth move to your new home and of course a wonderful future in Germany! -Irene x

(images: irene hoofs)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 17, 2009

1. Becka @Studio222 Photography commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 3:52pm

Love the kids table!

2. Jessica Zee commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 3:53pm

I love that word block puzzle, and can’t believe you’ve only lived there for two months, Irene! It already looks so cozy and wonderful. It’s fun in those beginning stages when you get to move pieces from room to room and see what lives best where, isn’t it?

3. Summer B commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 5:19pm

I heart Ida Pearle.
    .-= Summer B´s last blog ..Wanna work at ELIZA Magazine? =-.

4. robin commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 5:32pm

what a beautiful blanket!!! i love that shade of blue.
    .-= robin´s last blog ..Wiiiiiiiiiii! =-.

5. Novi commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 6:57pm

Thank you for sharing your home Irene, it feels so cosy and inviting with all those peaceful colors. Love the pottery collection on the dining table, nice shapes and colors. Reka’s work is awesome and Maditi’s photos are so beautiful. You have a wonderful and inspiring blog!
    .-= Novi´s last blog ..Richmond Olympic Oval =-.

6. Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 7:44pm

Love the prints hanging on the wall.
    .-= Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie´s last blog ..When in Rome =-.

7. Katie Stephenson commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 7:49pm

that kids room is just too, too cute. Beautiful, everything.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..Gocco Card Sale at Paperleaf =-.

8. Cookie Cutter commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 9:17pm

Beautiful home! I was wondering if you bought most of the furnitures locally or abroad? Judging from how beautiful your house looks and if you got the items locally, I might just hop over there! I’m in the little country south of you :)
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Happiness – Blanca Gómez =-.

9. Yellowgoat commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 11:18pm

Love Irene’s home. ;D very clean, and with kids too. that’s just so nice.
    .-= Yellowgoat´s last blog ..True words Tuesday =-.

10. Courtney commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 11:26pm

I just love the warm feeling in Irene’s home! Even with all the neutrals and modern pieces, it feels so comfortable and homey. Perfection!
    .-= Courtney´s last blog ..Seconds, Please =-.

11. Kiran commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 11:57pm

Love your decor ideas Irene. I am a Malaysian and my family resides in Kuala Lumpur as well :) I am currently in America with my husband and hope to move back to Malaysia someday. Great to stumble upon your blog, and enjoy your new home :)
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Happy Independence India! =-.

12. Christiaan commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 1:07am

Ziet er prachtig uit, Irene! Heel gezellig. Veel liefs aan R.
    .-= Christiaan´s last blog ..Bits of Freedom is terug =-.

13. Astrid commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 2:27am

such a beautiful home. thanks for sharing!
    .-= Astrid´s last blog ..Barcelona on film, part III =-.

14. Saskia commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 2:35am

Dear Irene, thank you so much for the peek inside your new home! I love Rie Cramer as well, the books give a comfy, homy feeling!
    I have two sons myself and I hope I can find some spaceto put the alphabet by Ida Pearle in! :)
    Great blanket in the last picture, beautiful colour, I would love to know the yarnbrand and the pattern!

15. Travelingmama commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 4:53am

What a beautiful home! I love that knit blanket in your room! Where can I find something like that? Also, your sister may be right, but I have two boys and I’m holding out. My family always sends my kids the cartoon character stuff and how can I be polite but not destroy the vibe of their room?? I hide it in the closet or if it needs to be hung I put it on the inside of the closet door! I’m so bad, but I just cannot palate a whole room of Lightning McQueen!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..countdown to {paris} =-.

16. Garnet commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 11:08am

I love Lode’s room – the pictures strung along the wall are adorable.
    .-= Garnet´s last blog ..I drew the Ace of Wands this morning as my card of the day. I… =-.

17. Katrine K commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 4:32pm

I love to see pictures from your home, so many beautiful things and furniture…
    .-= Katrine K´s last blog ..Den røde sofaen… =-.

18. hoganfe handmade handbag originals commented
    August 18th, 2009 at 5:26pm

Amazing child’s room-so clever!
    mary

19. Penny Patten commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:14am

Love your pic’s and ideas. I scrolled through your blog, liked what I saw. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

20. Blue Bicicletta commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:08am

I love, love, love the way you have strung up that set of prints on a clothesline-like string! I do that to display my prints at shows (stringing the lines between poles of my pop-up booth), and you just gave me a great idea for hanging a set of alphabet drawings I’m working on inside. I hope you don’t mind that I steal that idea! Thanks so much!
    .-= Blue Bicicletta´s last blog ..The Enormous Tiny Art Show =-.

21. Danielle commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:08am

Your home is so wonderful- I love a grown up space with a touch of whimsy! Thanks for sharing :)

22. Raina Kattelson commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 3:29pm

Fantastic clock!!
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..white and silver =-.

23. arounna commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:13pm

your place is looking gorgeous – thanks for sharing xoxo

24. siobhan commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:48pm

Where did you get the string and small pegs that you have used to hang the ABC cards? So cute – I want to do the same with my Dr.Seuss alphabet cards!

25. silvina commented
    November 28th, 2009 at 6:07am

love the color palette
    .-= silvina´s last blog ..luján & guadalupe podestá =-.