A Field Journal: Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: A Field Journal

Hello, I’m Livy, visiting from A Field Journal as part of Holly’s August guest series and I’m here to share some favorite snapshots of home and what it means to me. Ready? Here goes…

A Field Journal

I love the way childhood backyards linger halfway between imagination and memory. How those gates opened on a boundless wilderness, home of tree forts and tire swings. Though that half acre seems yards smaller now, few places are more dear. On summer evenings you still hear the ageless sound of crickets in the tangle of vines and ferns.

A Field Journal

On my 14th Christmas my grandmother gave me her cake dish. The one I loved with the the ruffled edge and the milky glass and the embossed pedestal. I’ve started a small collection of them now on the highest shelf of the kitchen cupboard, and always pull them out when I bake.

A Field Journal

The apartment I live in at college was built in the late ’40s, and has so many curious details, checkered floors, decorative grates over the vents and a doorbell that makes it sound like Ethel Mertz is on the back porch. My most favorite elements are the wainscoting in the kitchen and the fold out ironing board behind a narrow little door (see last photo below).

A Field Journal

I can’t think of much to say about my girlhood room, except that when I’m home again it’s instantly ordinary and familiar. I love its white walls, airy curtains and the old dark wood of the furniture.

A Field Journal

What inspires me… I study history and art history and I suppose it shows in the things I find inspiring – 18th century fashion, 1940s musicals, art deco fonts, old photographs, neoclassical architecture, Victorian novels. It’s been lovely sharing with you – thanks for having me Holly! - Livy

(images: a field journal)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 19, 2009

1. Afi commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 9:37am

What a dreamy place and wonderful photos too…It really takes back in time.. :)
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..A cactus story =-.

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:41am

I adore Livy and the way she sees things…..I love these photos, they are absolutely gorgeous Livy and what a beautiful place you grew up in. I also am in love with your sweet garlands you must have made too Livy….thank you for sharing your homes with us!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

3. Kim commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:11am

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
    I adore all of these photos!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What I Would Wear…If I Were A Character On Mad Men =-.

4. Travelingmama commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:58pm

Livy, this is a beautiful post! What a treasure from your Grandmother!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..rock {star} welcome =-.

5. Brooke H commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 2:29pm

Such lovely photo’s and your writing is so poetic. Thank you for sharing, I’m excited to go check out your blog.
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Mystie =-.

6. Julia @ Mélanger commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 4:51pm

Funny – I love 1940s musicals (you should see the play list for my upcoming wedding!), art deco design (you should see my wedding invitation!), and neoclassical architecture. I always love reading A Field Journal. Now I know why! :)
    .-= Julia @ Mélanger´s last blog ..{ Strawberry and Pistachio Tart } =-.

7. vicki (simply hue) commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 5:57pm

I love the dreaminess of these images. What a beautiful home to grow up in. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= vicki (simply hue)´s last blog ..Guest Poster "We Heart This" =-.

8. Cookie Cutter commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:27pm

I love the tinted vintage look of your photos! And thanks for sharing, I’m one who’s always nostalgic about childhood too.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Dream vacation =-.

9. Minnie commented
    August 20th, 2009 at 3:19am

I just discovered Livy’s blog and am so enamored with it. It’s so unique and well-composed. So it’s definitely a treat to see more of Livy here and know what inspires her. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Kids’ Nooks: Room to explore, from Israel =-.

10. Pam commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 3:45pm

I have the exact same dressing table. It belonged to my grandmother and is part of a complete bedroom set: four poster, highboy, bench, and two nightstands. How lovely to see it in a different room!
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..New digs =-.