Guest Bloggers

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

August 19, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Oh, Hello Friend

Hello, friends! My name is Danni, from the blog oh, hello friend. I’m super excited to be here on decor8 while Holly is settling in to an exciting new place! Today I’m focusing on images in my workroom because it is the room in my house that inspires me most and where I get stuff done. I’m big on thrift stores and flea markets, so that’s where a lot of these things come from and I’ll be sharing some of them with you. Here we go!

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

I love this photo because all the objects in it are inspiring to me. My gocco, my sewing machine: these objects help me create. The shelves also hold my collections of items I love: old keys, tape rolls, vintage milk glass finds. I love finding new things to add to my stash. :)

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

I like this part of the room because it is calming to me. A simple collection of wall hangings, drawers, and shelves. The typewriter was a gift from my mom — she found it at an old antique shop and knowing how much I love old typewriters, she bought it for me and fixed it up so it works.

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

I told you I love old typewriters. :) Do you ever get excited when you find a really great vintage piece at the thrift store? Of course you do, right!? This was one of those finds – I just found it in the back of the thrift store, sitting in the pile to be thrown away. It was in such great condition, I couldn’t believe they were going to toss it! But I simply love this piece — and for $7, it makes it even better.

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

I found these drawers on Craigslist for only $5 each. Sure you can get them at IKEA, but these were already assembled ;) The drawers are covered with old security envelopes and something about the simple patterns is really lovely to me. These are so perfect for storing all the odds and end craft items I have. Side point…I really like the light coming through the lace curtain in this photo.

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

Finding these jars at thrift stores is always fun because they are also great for storing things while making it look nice at the same time. These jars hold the collections of vintage keys, wood bobbins, mini globes, and manila tags. I really love that floral jar at the right – it’s so pretty and unique.

Oh, Hello Friend: Favorite Things

Thought I’d show you inside one of the many drawers – I have a huge collection of vintage plates + bowls and they are great for storing little things within drawers. This drawer has some of my favorite things to work with: stamps, wax seals, paper lace, and old vintage buttons.

What inspires me… I am inspired by my everything that surrounds me. Art, blogs, nature, a sunset, crafts, handmade, shops, window displays, books, artists, magazines, and friends. I gather inspiration from everywhere – it is sometimes so overwhelming at all the beauty and creativity in the world! Music definitely helps — Some recent tunes I’ve been working to are Regina Spektor and Joshua Radin. Do you know their music?

Advice…. Some good advice I’ve received is, “Pursue your dreams” and to, “Strive for excellence”. Pursuing your dreams sounds really cliche but I am really inspired by my friends who just go for it, literally. The ones who move away to an unfamiliar place to work and pursue that goal or dream of theirs. Or the ones who quit a perfectly good job for a job that pays less, but that they really truly love. I love this advice because it is so relevant to my current work situation. Finish those goals. Start a business that’s been on your mind. Go back to school to learn something you actually enjoy. And while you are doing these things, strive for excellence. Someone told me that once and just told me to think about what it meant to me. So I’m passing it on to you to think about what what it means to you :)

Thanks for letting me be apart of your lovely blog Holly and decor8 readers thanks for letting me share some of my favorite things with you! – Danni xo

p.s. If you want to see a few more photos of my workroom, visit my flickr account.

(images: oh, hello friend)

29 Comments

• Reply Blue Bicicletta August 19, 2009 at 10:22 am

What a beautiful and inspirational space! I love your typewriters and all of your interesting little finds! I also love how you even infuse your storage with creativity! Those drawers are great and thrift store plates and glasses make me so excited! Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Blue Bicicletta´s last blog ..The Enormous Tiny Art Show =-.

• Reply Claire Hurd Design August 19, 2009 at 10:33 am

I love your workroom! It looks like a very calm and inspiring place to work – beautiful x

• Reply claire August 19, 2009 at 10:50 am

What a magical room! I love all your thrift shop finds & all your little treasures. It’s a great place to “pursue your dreams” =)
    .-= claire´s last blog ..Aguas Frescas =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 19, 2009 at 10:52 am

Love sweet Danni and her beautiful work space. So many soft and calming colors and tableaus. Adore your shelf collections…typewriters, stash of little things and that jar is beautiful…..thank you so much for sharing with us hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

• Reply Kim August 19, 2009 at 11:01 am

Wow! I LOVE that typewriter! And the butterflies above it!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What I Would Wear…If I Were A Character On Mad Men =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie August 19, 2009 at 11:25 am

Gorgeous workspace! Everything you have used to organize your space is so pretty!! I feel inspired to get organized!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Sunday Afternoon with Amy Butler’s Software =-.

• Reply :::Lyzz::: August 19, 2009 at 11:34 am

What a gorgeous collection of vintage items. So jealous!
    .-= :::Lyzz:::´s last blog ..:::gallery of fun::: =-.

• Reply caitlin from nice-etc August 19, 2009 at 12:26 pm

danni your space is so lovely! so glad to find you here :)
    .-= caitlin from nice-etc´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply imedagoze August 19, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Danni, that old black typewriter is an envy.. :)

• Reply Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie August 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I love this posting. oh, hello friend is cool blog.
    .-= Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie´s last blog ..My mess I call a studio =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 19, 2009 at 1:10 pm

All such lovely things! I love your typewriter too! Such a steal! Thank you for sharing them with us!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..An obsession of mine………. =-.

• Reply Lisa August 19, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Very inspiring space! I love how you use your vintage finds in fresh ways to stay organized.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..En Vogue =-.

• Reply Jillian August 19, 2009 at 1:14 pm

What a beautiful work room! I could only dream of having such creativity.
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Must. Have. These. For. Fall. =-.

• Reply Amy@OldSweetSong August 19, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Wow! Danni’s workspace is so awesome. it hurts.

Danni, please come help me with my space?

• Reply Hudson Goods August 19, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Love the typewriters!
    .-= Hudson Goods´s last blog ..Just Paint It! =-.

• Reply Hudson Goods August 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Love the typewriters!

• Reply Brooke H August 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Wow Danni, I’m SO jealous of your workroom. It looks like such a fantastic spot to go to create.

I love Josh Radin as well! I’ve been listening to him for years. He used to play in this little club in downtown NYC on friday nights and there would only be like 5-10 people there. Now i can barely get tickets for his shows before they’re sold out!
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Mystie =-.

• Reply Melanie B August 19, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Oh Danni, what a perfect space. Thanks for sharing, no wonder you make so much pretty.
    .-= Melanie B´s last blog ..Spotted and hearted =-.

• Reply emily b August 19, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Danni, your space is SO inspiring! It is my dream to have a creative workroom…..I hope someday I do and that it looks a little something like this! Thank you for sharing…I love seeing fellow bloggers/creative’s personal space!
    .-= emily b´s last blog ..Sweet Tooth =-.

• Reply Jessie August 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm

such a lovely crafting area :) I’m very jealous of your pretty vintage plates and bowls!

p.s. HUGE fan of your blog too! :) :) :)
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..hmmm.. what have I been making!? =-.

• Reply Heather- Gathering Spriggs August 19, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Danni,
    Your space is so pretty and serene. Im amazed at how organized you are! All the details in your workspace are so feminine. I love the idea of a workspace being functional and feminine (beautiful).
    thanks for sharing
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Fading Summer Memories =-.

• Reply joanne August 19, 2009 at 7:14 pm

love it danni!
    .-= joanne´s last blog ..some new likes =-.

• Reply Penny Patten August 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I like all your draws for storing all of your finds! Its great to find storage solutions at such great prices, as well as being able to use them in your space. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

• Reply Bali Beach Bunny August 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm

THE BLUE TYPEWRITER
    {died and gone to heaven}
    .-= Bali Beach Bunny´s last blog ..and the name is… =-.

• Reply Maire August 20, 2009 at 8:39 am

Oh! That Olivetti typewriter – I’ve no idea why, but I asked ‘Santa Claus’ for a typewriter for Christmas when I was about 11 (around 10 years ago, ahem), and I clearly recall the moment of finding this under our tree. I’ve been thinking about that little gem a lot recently and overcome with good memories on seeing your one here – same color too. Your creative space is so refreshing. Bless!

• Reply Sophia R. August 20, 2009 at 10:29 am

I love that you’ve collected elements I hope to have in my future studio (in my future home…) but in a totally different and still lovely way. Typewriters, vintage keys, glass jars, tags: yes please!

Also, I really want two of those Ikea fira mini-chests (okay, and an Expedit case) but don’t really believe in buying mass produced things when you can find secondhand/vintage copies so here’s hoping I have the same luck as you and eventually come across them on Craigslist or some similar outlet for a fraction of the price ;)

• Reply Suzanne August 21, 2009 at 6:59 pm

What a beautiful workroom! I love all the collections and the way they’re displayed.
    The photos are gorgeous as well – what beautiful lighting :)
    .-= Suzanne´s last blog ..if it’s possible to die from a cuteness overload =-.

• Reply margaret August 23, 2009 at 5:28 am

I love all the colors, this seems like the perfect place to work.

• Reply Heather January 11, 2011 at 1:06 am

I think I love everything about this room, but mostly that even the inside of your drawers are lovely! I too love milk glass and have a pretty extensive collection, but I never thought to use it inside my drawers too!! LOVE it and thanks for sharing Danni!