Wednesdays Where I Live…

On Wednesdays where I live there is a large farmers’ market that covers the outer edges of a playground/square called Moltkeplatz and has an array of flowers, vegetables, meats, cheeses, pastries, fresh & smoked fish, eggs, homemade pasta, herbs, teas, and even a little traveling coffee shop with a small cafe where we had cafe latte with Zucchini lemon loaf – a slice is only 1- Euro and so we brought some home for later too. :) The local farmers come in with their wares and so everything is super fresh. There is even a lady on the corner who plays a Leierorgel which creates a nice atmosphere I think (it sounds a bit like an accordion and my grandparents in Rhode Island played accordion around me all of my life so I always think of them when I hear anything that sounds even remotely like an accordion). Here are a few impressions so you can see for yourself what my morning looked like today. This is the district where I am living so it’s very convenient to have this market to visit each Wednesday.

farmers' market

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market

farmers' market

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market

The flow of the market is just lovely… everything is easy to access because it’s a complete square, with flowers and plants being at each of the four points and then everything else peppered in between. The last photo shown above is an extension of the market, not the square itself. This area is mostly plants and flowers. I love all of the colors, I find so much inspiration at a farmers’ market because it’s very energetic and you see cute little children tugging at their mom for just one more cookie or grandma’s out and about, and lots of dogs and so many pretty shapes and colors when at the fruit and veggie stands. And the flowers, oh my! I bought more today, so now I have three arrangements in my little apartment. I promise no more flowers this week! :) I’m been on such a total flower binge since I arrived — I can’t get enough!

Now I’m off to register here and take care of lots of legal paperwork so my day is full. I’m leaving you with more of my lovely guests to take good care of you today, so enjoy!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in travel on August 19, 2009

1. Victoria Klein commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 7:35am

So very lovely! I hope your day of registering goes smoothly. :)

2. Shanon commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:30am

You live in a magic land, don’t you? =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..It’s all pink and there were ruffles. =-.

3. visualingual commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:32am

Amazing photos and an amazing market!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Cloverleaf Interchange Trivet =-.

4. Nina Ruthie commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:45am

What a lovely marketplace you live in! So charming and colorful. Thanks for sharing these pics.
    .-= Nina Ruthie´s last blog ..I Sold My First Painting!! =-.

5. Judit Gueth commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:48am

Beautiful market!

6. decor8 commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 9:15am

Shanon – Yes totally. Even my husband tells me this — I see things much differently than others do sometimes. :)

7. Elyse commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 9:20am

Absolutely fantastic. I am so jealous!
    .-= Elyse´s last blog ..Tuesday | Cody’s Favourites =-.

8. Stephanie Fizer commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 9:23am

Oh my gosh, it’s so beautiful! Makes me want to pack up right now and move halfway across the globe too :)

9. trish commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 9:24am

hi holly- so happy for you, life feels cheery and the lighting is crisp. We must absorb some of this tidiness stateside. luv the sweet market. enjoy your day and best with paperwork :) tweet you later…
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Sherlock Homes =-.

10. Jillian commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:09am

That looks just lovely!
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Must. Have. These. For. Fall. =-.

11. Metta commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:15am

Europe doesn’t even have to try hard! It’s just beautiful all the time! Totally cute on the mundane corners, and gorgeous at the markets. No fair! :-)

12. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:39am

So lovely and romantic….*sigh* So happy for you Holly! It is a gorgeous treat for a wednesday!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

13. Jennifer commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:40am

Look at all the flowers and plants! Lovely photos! So cheery!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..An obsession of mine………. =-.

14. Cathie commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:47am

How can you not resist those flowers! That farmer’s market is too cute.
    .-= Cathie´s last blog ..i believe it’s cake! =-.

15. Iris commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:05pm

I really enjoy reading your stories about my home town. Now I sometimes discover places and new shops you wrote about.
    Until Dezember 2007 I lived with my husband at Moltkeplatz in an apartment right above the shoe repairer. We left because we bought an own house (in Hannover as well) with a garden and moved there. But my husband still keeps faith with the farmers´market at Moltkeplatz on Saturday morning! He always gets up early then just to get some of our favourite things that are unique in Hannover(meat from Rodenbostel and fish dips from Feuerhake). Then he comes back to our little cottage and we start into the weekend with a hearty breakfast.
    When we still lived at Moltkeplatz we always liked to buy on the Wednesday market as well. Especially we liked the apple juice of Obsthof Riepen and then later in autumn the apple “Finkenwerder Herbstprinz” (old local variety from Hamburg where my husband is born).

16. Amy commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:08pm

Wow – that is awesome – and the flowers, of course, are gorgeous!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Rainbow for the ceiling… =-.

17. Rebecca commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:19pm

Wow, the flowers and the fruit look gorgeous!

18. decor8 commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:34pm

Iris – There is also a market there on Saturdays? Oh my… That would be so nice!! Let me know!!!

19. novelista barista commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 12:46pm

its so cute and lovely! i want to go!
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..MAC Cosmetics =-.

20. Megan commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 1:05pm

Wow. Do you need a roommate?! :)

21. Genevieve commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 1:47pm

Beautiful, Holly! You are livin’ the life Girl! :)

22. Raina Kattelson commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 2:01pm

The market is lovely, it reminds me of the Waterloo market in Amsterdam-wish I was there now!

23. Sue commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 3:28pm

That looks like a wonderful place to wander around and enjoy the sunshine. I especially love that last photo where the plants on the left look as though they are growing up out of the road.
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Monochrome Triangle Collage =-.

24. Iris commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Yes, dear Holly, there is another market on Saturday morning at Moltkeplatz. It starts about 9:00 a.m. and it ends about 1:00 p.m.. This market is different to the Wednesday market so it may be a nice addition for you.
    Here is a link to start a little sneak peak: “http://www.bauernmarkt-hannover.de/list2.htm”.

25. Merissa commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 3:58pm

My goodness, that market is awesome! The flowers, breads, vegetables, plants…I could easily go on a binge there too! And how pretty are the paved streets and apartment buildings! Thank you for taking photos to share with everyone :)
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..:Running Away at Midnight: =-.

26. sandra commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 4:16pm

hannover looks great! i love german markets, always so full with lovely flowers and good vegetables to eat. yum.
    .-= sandra´s last blog ..Worms update =-.

27. Nicole RJ commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 6:18pm

Oh, I’m jealous of those glorious flowers! We have a fab farmer’s market near us, but the one plant/flower stall is pretty pathetic.
    .-= Nicole RJ´s last blog ..Bride on a Budget: Dressing the Aisle Pt. 2 =-.

28. pixie commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 7:49pm

That looks so beautiful! I love living right outside of Manhattan but I would love to have a market like that. Everything is so pretty and well kept.
    .-= pixie´s last blog ..The Gift =-.

29. Penny Patten commented
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:47pm

Wow! Looks lovely!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

30. Stina commented
    August 20th, 2009 at 3:26am

Whenever I whine and moan about something in Germany and talk about moving to another country, all I have to do is read your blog and I feel better already! :-)
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Urlaub! =-.

31. Chammas commented
    August 20th, 2009 at 9:02am

It’s so beautiful…I miss Germany! You make me want to go back.

32. Anke commented
    August 24th, 2009 at 6:57am

Oh I love flowers, too! My favourite thing in Germany are the flower fields outside Hannover where you can go and pick your own massive bunch of flowers for €2. It’s heavenly.
    .-= Anke´s last blog ..Utne Reader / Marriage Therapist =-.