Wednesdays Where I Live…

August 19, 2009

On Wednesdays where I live there is a large farmers’ market that covers the outer edges of a playground/square called Moltkeplatz and has an array of flowers, vegetables, meats, cheeses, pastries, fresh & smoked fish, eggs, homemade pasta, herbs, teas, and even a little traveling coffee shop with a small cafe where we had cafe latte with Zucchini lemon loaf – a slice is only 1- Euro and so we brought some home for later too. :) The local farmers come in with their wares and so everything is super fresh. There is even a lady on the corner who plays a Leierorgel which creates a nice atmosphere I think (it sounds a bit like an accordion and my grandparents in Rhode Island played accordion around me all of my life so I always think of them when I hear anything that sounds even remotely like an accordion). Here are a few impressions so you can see for yourself what my morning looked like today. This is the district where I am living so it’s very convenient to have this market to visit each Wednesday.

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

Wednesdays Where I Live...

The flow of the market is just lovely… everything is easy to access because it’s a complete square, with flowers and plants being at each of the four points and then everything else peppered in between. The last photo shown above is an extension of the market, not the square itself. This area is mostly plants and flowers. I love all of the colors, I find so much inspiration at a farmers’ market because it’s very energetic and you see cute little children tugging at their mom for just one more cookie or grandma’s out and about, and lots of dogs and so many pretty shapes and colors when at the fruit and veggie stands. And the flowers, oh my! I bought more today, so now I have three arrangements in my little apartment. I promise no more flowers this week! :) I’m been on such a total flower binge since I arrived — I can’t get enough!

Now I’m off to register here and take care of lots of legal paperwork so my day is full. I’m leaving you with more of my lovely guests to take good care of you today, so enjoy!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Victoria Klein August 19, 2009 at 7:35 am

So very lovely! I hope your day of registering goes smoothly. :)

• Reply Shanon August 19, 2009 at 8:30 am

You live in a magic land, don’t you? =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..It’s all pink and there were ruffles. =-.

• Reply decor8 August 19, 2009 at 9:15 am

Shanon – Yes totally. Even my husband tells me this — I see things much differently than others do sometimes. :)

• Reply visualingual August 19, 2009 at 8:32 am

Amazing photos and an amazing market!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Cloverleaf Interchange Trivet =-.

• Reply Nina Ruthie August 19, 2009 at 8:45 am

What a lovely marketplace you live in! So charming and colorful. Thanks for sharing these pics.
    .-= Nina Ruthie´s last blog ..I Sold My First Painting!! =-.

• Reply Judit Gueth August 19, 2009 at 8:48 am

Beautiful market!

• Reply Elyse August 19, 2009 at 9:20 am

Absolutely fantastic. I am so jealous!
    .-= Elyse´s last blog ..Tuesday | Cody’s Favourites =-.

• Reply Stephanie Fizer August 19, 2009 at 9:23 am

Oh my gosh, it’s so beautiful! Makes me want to pack up right now and move halfway across the globe too :)

• Reply trish August 19, 2009 at 9:24 am

hi holly- so happy for you, life feels cheery and the lighting is crisp. We must absorb some of this tidiness stateside. luv the sweet market. enjoy your day and best with paperwork :) tweet you later…
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Sherlock Homes =-.

• Reply Jillian August 19, 2009 at 10:09 am

That looks just lovely!
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Must. Have. These. For. Fall. =-.

• Reply Metta August 19, 2009 at 10:15 am

Europe doesn’t even have to try hard! It’s just beautiful all the time! Totally cute on the mundane corners, and gorgeous at the markets. No fair! :-)

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 19, 2009 at 10:39 am

So lovely and romantic….*sigh* So happy for you Holly! It is a gorgeous treat for a wednesday!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 19, 2009 at 11:40 am

Look at all the flowers and plants! Lovely photos! So cheery!

.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..An obsession of mine………. =-.

• Reply Cathie August 19, 2009 at 11:47 am

How can you not resist those flowers! That farmer’s market is too cute.
    .-= Cathie´s last blog ..i believe it’s cake! =-.

• Reply Iris August 19, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I really enjoy reading your stories about my home town. Now I sometimes discover places and new shops you wrote about.
    Until Dezember 2007 I lived with my husband at Moltkeplatz in an apartment right above the shoe repairer. We left because we bought an own house (in Hannover as well) with a garden and moved there. But my husband still keeps faith with the farmers´market at Moltkeplatz on Saturday morning! He always gets up early then just to get some of our favourite things that are unique in Hannover(meat from Rodenbostel and fish dips from Feuerhake). Then he comes back to our little cottage and we start into the weekend with a hearty breakfast.
    When we still lived at Moltkeplatz we always liked to buy on the Wednesday market as well. Especially we liked the apple juice of Obsthof Riepen and then later in autumn the apple “Finkenwerder Herbstprinz” (old local variety from Hamburg where my husband is born).

• Reply decor8 August 19, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Iris – There is also a market there on Saturdays? Oh my… That would be so nice!! Let me know!!!

• Reply Amy August 19, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Wow – that is awesome – and the flowers, of course, are gorgeous!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Rainbow for the ceiling… =-.

• Reply Rebecca August 19, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Wow, the flowers and the fruit look gorgeous!

• Reply novelista barista August 19, 2009 at 12:46 pm

its so cute and lovely! i want to go!
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..MAC Cosmetics =-.

• Reply Megan August 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Wow. Do you need a roommate?! :)

• Reply Genevieve August 19, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Beautiful, Holly! You are livin’ the life Girl! :)

• Reply Raina Kattelson August 19, 2009 at 2:01 pm

The market is lovely, it reminds me of the Waterloo market in Amsterdam-wish I was there now!

• Reply Sue August 19, 2009 at 3:28 pm

That looks like a wonderful place to wander around and enjoy the sunshine. I especially love that last photo where the plants on the left look as though they are growing up out of the road.
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Monochrome Triangle Collage =-.

• Reply Iris August 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Yes, dear Holly, there is another market on Saturday morning at Moltkeplatz. It starts about 9:00 a.m. and it ends about 1:00 p.m.. This market is different to the Wednesday market so it may be a nice addition for you.
    Here is a link to start a little sneak peak: “”.

• Reply Merissa August 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm

My goodness, that market is awesome! The flowers, breads, vegetables, plants…I could easily go on a binge there too! And how pretty are the paved streets and apartment buildings! Thank you for taking photos to share with everyone :)
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..:Running Away at Midnight: =-.

• Reply sandra August 19, 2009 at 4:16 pm

hannover looks great! i love german markets, always so full with lovely flowers and good vegetables to eat. yum.
    .-= sandra´s last blog ..Worms update =-.

• Reply Nicole RJ August 19, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Oh, I’m jealous of those glorious flowers! We have a fab farmer’s market near us, but the one plant/flower stall is pretty pathetic.
    .-= Nicole RJ´s last blog ..Bride on a Budget: Dressing the Aisle Pt. 2 =-.

• Reply pixie August 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm

That looks so beautiful! I love living right outside of Manhattan but I would love to have a market like that. Everything is so pretty and well kept.
    .-= pixie´s last blog ..The Gift =-.

• Reply Penny Patten August 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Wow! Looks lovely!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

• Reply Stina August 20, 2009 at 3:26 am

Whenever I whine and moan about something in Germany and talk about moving to another country, all I have to do is read your blog and I feel better already! :-)
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Urlaub! =-.

• Reply Chammas August 20, 2009 at 9:02 am

It’s so beautiful…I miss Germany! You make me want to go back.

• Reply Anke August 24, 2009 at 6:57 am

Oh I love flowers, too! My favourite thing in Germany are the flower fields outside Hannover where you can go and pick your own massive bunch of flowers for €2. It’s heavenly.
    .-= Anke´s last blog ..Utne Reader / Marriage Therapist =-.