Events + Markets

Home Companion Crafting Classes

August 21, 2009

Did you once read Home Companion magazine from Mary Engelbreit? I did, in fact I still have the premiere issue. While some of the interiors were not entirely my aesthetic, I appreciated the focus of the magazine being on the arts and crafts community and the joy of handmade. When it folded, I felt bad as the magazine had been around for what felt like ages… I started reading it when I was pretty young and it was part of my monthly stack of magazines that I’d pick up from the local bookshop throughout my 20s. I loved the little paper dolls that Mary placed into the magazine each month — they were fun to cut up and put away… and when my friends brought over their children my box of Mary’s dolls would occupy them for hours. As sad as it is to see some of our favorite magazines fold, a few of them are still keeping in touch with their reader base, I recall recently that Domino magazine hosted a few tag sales in New York and now, it looks like Mary Engelbreit is doing something that I think will be a huge hit — a Home Companion workshop in St. Louis from April 29 – May 2, 2010.

Home Companion Crafting Classes

She’s having some pretty great guests who will also teach classes, including Matthew Mead (whom I adore), Amy Butler, Claudine Hellmuth, Kaari Meng and more. Hmm… Now I wonder if they need anyone to teach a class about blogging and social networking online or how to tap into your creativity because — I’m in! :)

If you’d like more information about this event, please visit Mary’s blog here for more details.

(image: home companion)

12 Comments

• Reply ellen August 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm

ooh! yay! and in Saint Louis, too! so excited – thanks for sharing :o)
    .-= ellen´s last blog ..winner! =-.

• Reply Ursula August 21, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Wow…in little ole St. Louis? I can’t believe they’re having something so cool here! Yay!!!
    .-= Ursula´s last blog ..betsy burnham: an amazing role model =-.

• Reply jenn August 21, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Can you hear the fans flocking to the event? A blissful, thundering herd of Engelbreit Lovers. I would include myself in that ebullient crowd as I too still have the premier issue of the magazine. In fact, I believe I kept the first three years “just in case”, I told myself….

Last month I began weeding, keeping the images and articles that suit me now. And I might as well confess: I have copy most issues of “Cottage Living” as well… “just in case.” However, even with all this potential inspiration saved in folios, I’d still like guidance on tapping back into my creativity! Go, Mary! (And, Bon Chance to you, Madame Blogger!)
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..The Fully-Overgrown Boy (or, the Immature Man) =-.

• Reply Gina August 24, 2009 at 10:39 am

Wow! I am so excited to hear of an artsy event like this in St. Louis! :-)
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..Sponsor Showcase | Risky Beads =-.

• Reply Megan August 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I still have the paperdolls from her magazine too. I am saving them for my little girl who is six moths old. I loved them when I was young!

• Reply Alison August 24, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Man, all of my favorite magazines have folded. I had hoped Home Companion would hold out. Bummer.

• Reply barbara martin August 25, 2009 at 7:59 pm

As Mary and I were structuring the event we decided to include more than just hands-on workshops. The last 2 years or so, before the last issue of Mary Engelbreit’s Home Companion, a number of new columns were added, including the Art of Business. Its focus was to applaud people who were involved in the arts but were not artists. The 4 lectures offered during the spring ’10 weekend will include an attorney discussing copyrights & trademarks for artists, a licensing agent, a corporate art buyer and a representative of the Renegade Craft Fair. But we really wanted to have a blogger! So as we plan the next MEHC Workshops, I now know who to call. Sorry I mean email.
    Thank you for the mention. Oh, registration starts 9/1/09 noon CST.

• Reply Susan August 29, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Looking up things about HC for a post on my blog and found this – wonder if they will revive the magazine someday, it was a favorite.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Karla Kuskin will be missed =-.

• Reply Penny Patten September 1, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I was so sad when Home Companion magazine stopped, it was by far my favorite home magazine! I still have all my copies, they are one of my magazines that I never get rid of. I have Marys art and paper dolls from the magazine in folders. I hope that some day maybe she’ll bring the magazine back. I only wish I could attend the work shop, it should be a lot of fun!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..That’s What She Said… =-.

• Reply Corrie -- Quilt Taffy September 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I have the premier issue too. I decided to get out all of my Halloween & Fall ones from years past & re-read last week. I miss her magazine! Would love to go to the workshop.

• Reply Peggy Lucas September 23, 2009 at 5:54 pm

We started a Yahoo Group for those attending – please join us! It is:

MEHomeCompanionWorkshop or here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEHomeCompanionWorkshop/