Guest Bloggers

Hygge House: Favorite Things

August 21, 2009

4/6/10: Editor’s Note: Images and text removed at the authors request.

A few of my favorite things: Hygge House

(images: alex beauchamp, hygge house)

25 Comments

• Reply Frugal Bon Vivant August 21, 2009 at 10:12 am

Lovely style! I have the Expedit bookcase too (in chocolate), and have always loved how it looks on the side stacked with books, flowers etc Good luck on the new job!
    .-= Frugal Bon Vivant´s last blog ..Free Wristband @ Lucy Activewear =-.

• Reply sunny August 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

Wow. I love your decorating/life style + preferences. Your apartment is beautiful because you love what you own and that shows. I wasn’t familiar with your blog until now..but count me in as a FAN! I just blogged about you this morning.
    .-= sunny´s last blog ..living simply :: hygge house =-.

• Reply Fanciful Alice August 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

Ahhh, this is beautiful. I love how homely, yet spacious and modern, it feels. And I absolutely agree – living well can mean living simply, too. Great post – I’m really enjoying this series!

• Reply Shannon August 21, 2009 at 11:03 am

I love that dog bed!! Did you make it or find it somewhere? I’ve been searching for ages for a dog bed that’s not hideous!

• Reply Travelingmama August 21, 2009 at 11:09 am

I am nearly speechless. What a beautiful post. As soon as the photo of the quilt popped up my jaw nearly hit the floor. And what a beautiful story. What more could one ask for in her home than to be surrounded by beautiful and sentimental belongings that are so personal?
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..saying hello and an announcement! =-.

• Reply laura trevey August 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

Love Love Love anything Anthropologie!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Blue Hour Designs =-.

• Reply Lucy August 21, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Ah congratulations Alex!!

Wonderful post, I love your thoughts on life. And I agree. You have created a wonderful home with your concepts.

Good luck in the new job and creating your next home,
    Lucy
    x
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..In company with Amy Butler =-.

• Reply alex August 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Holly for posting this and thanks to the comments!

I love that people feel my home is spacious because it’s only 600 square feet (I’m moving into 1400 square feet which will seem like a mansion to me!).

The dog bed is from http://www.jaxandbones.com/ and is organic which is important to me. My dog has had two knee surgeries and needed something therapeutic but I wanted something in which I could change the covers (to wash and for style). LOVE the bed, love the company!

• Reply Jasmin August 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Alex has the BEST taste!

• Reply Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog August 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I love your home! It’s the perfect mix of beauty and function.
    Congrats on the Anthro gig!
    .-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..(single) GIRLS RULE (at buying houses) =-.

• Reply Nuit August 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

wow, I totally love your place, its full of little treasures!!! and I find your style a very friendly one… love it.
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Design Quote of the week… thoughts? =-.

• Reply Heather Moore August 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Lovely home. and the “it’s beautiful here” sign is made by fellow Capetonian, the very talented Heath Nash!
    .-= Heather Moore´s last blog ..My favourite things on Decor8 today =-.

• Reply The Shutter August 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Great post and great style. I agree with the above comment, this series is great.
    .-= The Shutter´s last blog ..Merci =-.

• Reply Shanon August 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Oh! Congrats on the new job! What a happy ending. =)
    I really enjoy your couch and the “coffee table,” Alex. They have a sort of bedroom quality to them, making the room so cozy and dreamy.
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Tart & Links Friday! =-.

• Reply Anetteshus.com August 21, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Love the photos!! Beautiful!

Anette:)
    .-= Anetteshus.com´s last blog ..THE HEART OF THE HOME =-.

• Reply Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie August 21, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Lovely space. I love all the photos and your blog.
    .-= Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie´s last blog ..How cute is this pillow? =-.

• Reply Kathi @ allthingswhite August 21, 2009 at 3:35 pm

This is simply lovely !!! You have my dream couch and all of your spaces are wonderful. Best to you on your new job !
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Vintage Melamine Cups =-.

• Reply Kylie August 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm

You have a beautiful home! I just love the story about the quilt. I have a slightly similar experience. My mother hand stitched a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt while she was pregnant with me. It was on my bed for my entire childhood until taken away to preserve it. I just moved into my first home that I could furnish and style all myself (roommate rentals before). The best housewarming gift she could have given me was that quilt. I too have it proudly on display in my living room.

• Reply Shannon August 21, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Thank you SO much for the dog bed info!! I have been searching high and low for a bed I liked. The search is now over. :)

• Reply shelley t August 22, 2009 at 7:50 am

i’ve been a reader of another girl at play almost since it’s inception and have drawn so much inspiration from it over the years. it was so great to see a little of your life, but more importantly hear a little more of what’s important to you. i love your attitude! i wish you all the very best at your brand new job…..with anthropologie – fantastic!!
    …i also remember when they sold curtains…
    all the best from melbourne, australia
    .-= shelley t´s last blog ..Happy Friday – The Glamour of Gruau =-.

• Reply Maggie and Sparrow August 22, 2009 at 9:20 am

Beautiful images, wonderful stories…..especially the one about your quilt…..it reinstated my confidence that Quilts are one of life’s greatest treasures that can last many a life time, and can offer so much comfort and beauty….

• Reply shalini August 23, 2009 at 5:32 am

A lovely home. I love how much personality it has!
    .-= shalini´s last blog ..photo: among the clouds =-.

• Reply jamieofalltrades August 24, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Great style. Interesting idea about the books being art, they really are!
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..summer dessert :: peaches ‘n cream pie =-.

• Reply Penny Patten September 1, 2009 at 11:58 am

Very pretty as well as homey!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..That’s What She Said… =-.

• Reply alex September 6, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Again, thank you so much everyone for your comments and emails – it was really, really appreciated.

Hopefully I can do the same with my new (and very different!) home!
    .-= alex´s last blog ..Etsy Favourites =-.