Selina Lake: Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: Selina Lake

Before you head off for the weekend don’t forget to visit me!! Hello, I’m Selina Lake, Freelance Interior Stylist and Author from London and I’m visiting while Holly is getting adjusted to her new living quarters over in Germany. I had the honor of working with a fantastic photographer Max Attenborough to produce these shots of my favourite things in my home for decor8 today so I hope that you enjoy them! I think it’s a nice way to end the week here on the blog since these photos may provide some inspiration for you to carry into the weekend.

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

1. Inspiration Wall - I love sticking inspiring postcards and pictures up on my wall, I buy vintage postcards from flea markets and junk shops and keep pretty greetings cards which people send me. I also can’t resist lavender hearts!!

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

2. Vintage China – My collection of vintage china keeps growing, I enjoy drinking tea out of this pretty teacup! I buy lots of plates from Charity Shops and Flea Markets.

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

3. Interiors books & magazines - I have a massive collection of Interior books and magazines, this is my biggest passion! After the success of my 1st book Bazaar Style, I’ve recently had my next book commissioned. I’m currently working on at the moment with photographer Debi Treloar

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

4. Tea Lights — There’s nothing more romantic then candle light, these Moroccan tea glasses give my living room a lovely pink glow. I bought the pouffes in a souk in Marrakesh last year.

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

5. Fresh Flowers – I always like to have fresh flowers at home, I love peonies, hydrangea’s and roses. I’m lucky to have a really good flower market nearby. I also often bring flowers home after a shoot.

Selina Lake's Favorite Things

6. Vintage Eiderdowns – Whenever I go to antique fairs, junk shops or flea markets, I look out for eiderdowns and vintage fabric! Here are are a few of my latest buys from Kempton Antiques. I’m really into romantic peachy pink tones at the moment.

Enough about me… I’m turning the table here on you – decor8 readers… What about YOU? What are some of your favorite things in your home currently? - Selina xx

(images: Max Attenborough)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 21, 2009

1. edvinami27 commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:16pm

The inspiration wall is so chic and romantic!
    .-= edvinami27´s last blog ..Cinderella Design? =-.

2. Clayton Gray Home commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:19pm

Love those tea glasses. The color is so pretty!

Favorites for me right now are my Capri Blue Votivo Candles. They smell so yummy and I burn them daily. Collection of “sealife” artwork over fireplace, James Mont-esqe Vintage Lamps, Quirky asian bookends – these are all favorites and tend to be conversation pieces when we have company.

3. Patchwork Harmony commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:41pm

Lovely post Selina!
    SO excited about your new book, and thanks for introducing me to Kempton Antiques fair, I am definitely gonna try and get down there soon!

Caroline x
    .-= Patchwork Harmony´s last blog ..Composting with Class! =-.

4. Tiffany commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:42pm

oh, i love all the pink! everything is so soft and romantic and sweet–not exactly my style, but you totally rock it! the tea glasses are gorgeous…makes me wish i could have candles in my room at school.
    .-= Tiffany´s last blog ..nine: on flexibility =-.

5. Jessica Zee commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:47pm

I love tea glasses–they’re so pretty with the light from a candle dancing in them, and they’re just as pretty when the candles aren’t lit. And the flowers! You’re lucky indeed to have such a gorgeous selection nearby.
    .-= Jessica Zee´s last blog ..Dress up Your Office Bookshelves with Molding =-.

6. frauheuberg commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:47pm

hej selina,
    i love your inspiration wall…its so incredible what you can find at fleamarkets…a friend of me send me two days ago some vintage goodies…especiallly some old stamps…i love them…:-)
    an important object in the moment in our home is a candlestick from the flea market that my sister has finally admitted …it is red and green and have a little kind of scandinavian style…
    Unfortunately, we have at the moment too little space in our home to give all the things that I love even the right place … hope that’s changing times …
    i`m very interesting about your book bazzar style…look that i can get it here in germany on amazon…great post…thanks for your inspiration…a wonderful weekend…:-)

grettings from the ladies from frauheuberg
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..…summer.pop.shopping…berlin 2009 =-.

7. pink commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 4:52pm

Love the tea lights…so, so lovely!
    .-= pink´s last blog ..Making lemonade =-.

8. Jane commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 5:04pm

Selina those photos are really beautiful – very English and vintagey. My favourite things at the moment (middle of winter here) are my navy mohair blanket on our bed and my caramel cashmere blanket for in front of the television. And also all the pink blossom and magnolia which is just coming out in the streets.

9. cara commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 5:07pm

every.single.one of these photos is beautiful! Seriously, that inspiration wall is an art piece in itself! And maybe I’m a bit biased b/c I super heart this pink theme of yours :) Thanks for sharing :)!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Friday love! =-.

10. Jennifer commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 6:09pm

Oh I absolutely love eiderdowns! I have a lilac colored one I adore! I’m so jealous you have a pink princess phone! All such lovely photos!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Going to California =-.

11. Laura Gaskill commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 7:30pm

Selina Lake – be still my heart! I am so happy to see you on decor8. I already knew I loved your work, and I adore every photo you’ve shared with us here today. A few of my favorite things are my Grandma’s pink floral china dessert plates, the teddy bear my Mom made for me by hand when I was three years old, and a few of my favorite art prints. I have been trying to treat myself to more flowers lately, because I’ve noticed that it makes such a huge difference in my mood!

Thank you for all of the inspiration!!
    xo Laura
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Sweet Obsessions Friday =-.

12. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 7:44pm

*sigh* Gorgeous eiderdown, gorgeous flowers, gorgeous poufs and candlelight…thank you so much for sharing with us Selina and I cannot wait for you new book! Congratulations! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Lisa Rupp =-.

13. Marie {Make and Takes} commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 11:56pm

Fun favorites. I’m loving that pink – touch tone but looks like a rottery – phone!!
    .-= Marie {Make and Takes}´s last blog ..Learning to Fly Fish, I’m a Natural =-.

14. Kat commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 6:07am

Hi Selina your favourite things are SO beautiful and made all the more so by the gorgeous photographs Max took of them!
    The first one has inspired me to create something similar I love the tones and vintage theme to the collection. Look forward to your new book… Do you keep a blog?I’m sure many of us would love it if you did
    kat xx
    .-= Kat´s last blog ..Live by the sun, Love by the moon =-.

15. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 7:17am

Hola Selina,
    Nice to see your home here, I am a big fan f your book, Baazar Style, I am actually browsing it right now, I love vintage tea cups as well and I am hoping to visit the Keptom market soon!!
    Nice wall board!!
    .-= Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog ..So much inspiration…In The SELBY… =-.

16. decor8 commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 7:38am

Selina – I love this post because all of these things are my favorites too! I really relate to this! I also do these temporary inspiration boards on my bumpy walls here in Germany just like yours there in England. I wrote about it last December – I pretty much did what you did – tacked everything to the wall only I used a piece of French linen as well with tape. I think we need to meet up at some point – kindred spirits! http://www.flickr.com/photos/decor8/3101814701/

17. Selina Lake commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 8:30am

Hello Thanks for all these fab comments – its lovely to know about other peoples favourite things as well!! I have got a blog but its no where near as good as Holly’s!! http://selinalake.blogspot.com/ – Holly it would be great to meet up sometime now your living in Europe! lovelovelove XX

18. sabine commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 12:23pm

the pics are georgeous!!! I am jealous because pink/rose tones are my favourites; where can I get this great telephon ;-)?
    regards from sabine
    .-= sabine´s last blog ..erste reklamation – first claim =-.

19. Sofia commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 2:36pm

Oh Selina, I love your work and when in need for inspiration I go to your book:)

I love some furniture I found in the garbage, an old telephone, some ilustrations I bought on etsy… hum I also like my coca-cola glass bottle with a single flower in it:P

And I really liked your photo with your book and the pink telephone:D
    .-= Sofia´s last blog ..Green glass =-.

20. Selina Lake commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 6:26am

The Princess Pink telephone is from http://www.wildandwolf.com/prod.php?prod=TP004&cat=11 xx

21. laura commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 7:38am

bazaar style…only my most favourite book ever!
    .-= laura´s last blog ..RSPCA Cupcake Day. =-.

22. Marcy of A Fashionable Life commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 4:32pm

I adore this blog, and the picture of the Moroccan Tea Lights is amazing. I’ve been putting candles in these glasses for years, but never with such a large collection of all one color scheme and with the simple glasses that compliment them as well – I’m totally stealing this idea!
    .-= Marcy of A Fashionable Life´s last blog ..Posting from: Habitually Chic™: New Leash on Life! =-.

23. My Owl Barn commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 5:49pm

I love to shop at flea markets and second-hand shops too. You can not only find the bargains but also one of a kind pieces which otherwise would cost you a fortune. Your greeting cards wall looks awesome and inspiring.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Florafauna curtain by Bed Bath & Beyond =-.

24. LD commented
    August 23rd, 2009 at 8:18pm

You have the most beautiful sense of style. I adore your book and constantly turn to it for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your favorite things! I also love fresh flowers at home, peonies are definitely a favorite!
    .-= LD´s last blog ..NY Gift Show Re-Cap: Lighting Round-Up =-.

25. jamieofalltrades commented
    August 24th, 2009 at 11:05pm

What an adorable, girly, home!
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..summer dessert :: peaches ‘n cream pie =-.

26. Carrie @ CarrieCan commented
    August 28th, 2009 at 4:59am

Wow, that’ a very organized inspiration wall! Mine’s all over the place ;-)
    .-= Carrie @ CarrieCan´s last blog ..Photographer: Olaf Sczepaniak =-.

27. Penny Patten commented
    September 1st, 2009 at 12:28pm

Pretty, pretty, pretty! I have your book, Bazar Style, I’ve really enjoyed it. I too, have many home books a long with art and craft ones. Thank You for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..That’s What She Said… =-.