Guest Bloggers

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

August 21, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Skinny laMinx

Hello and Happy Friday to you! I’m Heather Moore, living in Cape Town South Africa, where I design and produce textiles and illustrations (shop), and also write the Skinny laMinx blog. Holly kindly asked me to come and tell you about the things I like in my home, so I waited for a sunny day and took some snaps. I hope you enjoy taking a tour around this place we share with our beautiful kitties. Let us began, shall we?

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

As with most of the things I treasure, this little wooden stool cost hardly a thing and it took me while to decide to buy it. Now it lives in our lounge, where we occasionally curse it as we trip over it, but often I look up from my book in the evenings and admire its simple, perfect lines.

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

Since and exhausting renovation two years ago, we didn’t do much about our bedroom, but recently we’ve started putting in a bit of work, which has been great. The afghani rug on the floor was a recent birthday gift (from me) to my lucky husband, and it goes surprisingly well with the 70’s flowery curtains (another surprise find)

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

This little bottle opener was a gift I bought online for my husband a few years ago from the Canoe store. It’s Japanese and cast iron, and makes me excited about opening a bottle of beer every time.

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

I’m not sure there are many people with a brick taking pride of place in the lounge, but we love this one, which we found holding a tarpaulin down in Thailand. Much pleading managed to convince the brick’s owner that a stone would do the job just as well, so now it graces the windowsill above our Ercol daybed (which we love too, even though it’s probably a knockoff)

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

Just to the right of the table are shelves upon which this stone bird carved by a Zimbabwian artist lives. He’s so glossy and alert, and definitely a prized possession. More black birds, these by Missibaba creator, Chloe Townsend, currently live above our dining table.

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

So much vintage stuff, so little space! We’re managing to fill up the shelves of our bright green kitchen pretty effectively.

Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

Yup, vintage pots are also on the menu. The ceramic one was a recent buy, and it was only after I had it with me at home that I discovered it was the design of a design hero, Stig Lindberg. It’s the kind of moment that makes a vintage hunter feel that all those rainy mornings spent poking through worthless junk were worthwhile after all.

I can’t find the quote, but I think the best advice I’ve heard was from Paul Smith who said something about how the things he’s said “no” to have allowed him to do some of his best work. Learning when to say ‘no’ so that I can concentrate on doing things properly is something I’m still trying to learn, but I’m getting better at it. Good luck with the move Holly! – Xx Heather

(images: skinny laminx)

13 Comments

• Reply Jillian August 21, 2009 at 8:57 am

I love the color palette of your home and the variety of textures that your collections add – the brick, the curtains, the patterns on your china. And, I really enjoy how all of the warm wood tones pull everything together.
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Design of the Day – Chunky Amazonite Bracelet =-.

• Reply lesley August 21, 2009 at 9:29 am

what a beautiful home! i love your vintage kitchen-wares collections. that bright polka-dot tray brought back good memories of childhood, my parents have the same in blues + greens! a lovely home, thankyou for sharing.
    .-= lesley´s last blog ..paper collage =-.

• Reply jen August 21, 2009 at 9:36 am

I really love your style. I have some of the same things as you in my home. where is the yellow and white cushion from on the chair in the top picture, next to the little stool?

• Reply Christine August 21, 2009 at 10:40 am

I love, love the curtains, bottle opener (tres cute), the colorful mugs, and the really cool cookware. What treasures you have. i would love to have my style much as yours. Maybe I could use yours as an inspiration. I like the kickback, natural feel is has to it. :)
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Week 4 Personal Challenge =-.

• Reply Sasha K. August 21, 2009 at 10:43 am

LOVE that daybed! And all the birds, especially the 2 paintings(?), the green and yellow and black and white.
    .-= Sasha K.´s last blog ..BELLA earrings (SALE) =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 21, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Gosh you have so many wonderful things that are so unique! Lovely pictures!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Going to California =-.

• Reply Elyse August 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm

This is absolutely FANTASTIC. Thanks so much for sharing! Have an excellent weekend!
    .-= Elyse´s last blog ..Tuesday | Cody’s Favourites =-.

• Reply visualingual August 21, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Lovely home! I’ve enjoyed Skinny laMinx textiles since before I invited her to take part in the tea towel exhibit I curated in Cincinnati last summer: http://www.visualingual.org/teatowelshow/
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Grandma’s Doily Gas Station Price Placemat =-.

• Reply daisy janie August 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

nice share HM! i’m certain i would be quite content there!
    .-= daisy janie´s last blog ..need a hand? =-.

• Reply Heather Moore August 22, 2009 at 5:24 am

Wish I could invite you all over for tea! Thanks so much for your nice comments. xx
    .-= Heather Moore´s last blog ..My favourite things on Decor8 today =-.

• Reply greybreaks August 22, 2009 at 9:59 am

lovely home, enjoyed the vintage pots, and i just had to order one of those bottle openers for myself.

• Reply arounna August 24, 2009 at 7:56 pm

how I love all the beautiful objects in your own – full of warmth and inspiration. thanks for sharing!

• Reply H is for Home October 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Heather has such fabulous taste and a wonderful collection of objects. I really like that bottle opener- great quirky design!