Skinny laMinx: Favorite Things

A few of my favorite things: Skinny laMinx

Hello and Happy Friday to you! I’m Heather Moore, living in Cape Town South Africa, where I design and produce textiles and illustrations (shop), and also write the Skinny laMinx blog. Holly kindly asked me to come and tell you about the things I like in my home, so I waited for a sunny day and took some snaps. I hope you enjoy taking a tour around this place we share with our beautiful kitties. Let us began, shall we?

Skinny laMinx

As with most of the things I treasure, this little wooden stool cost hardly a thing and it took me while to decide to buy it. Now it lives in our lounge, where we occasionally curse it as we trip over it, but often I look up from my book in the evenings and admire its simple, perfect lines.

Skinny laMinx

Since and exhausting renovation two years ago, we didn’t do much about our bedroom, but recently we’ve started putting in a bit of work, which has been great. The afghani rug on the floor was a recent birthday gift (from me) to my lucky husband, and it goes surprisingly well with the 70’s flowery curtains (another surprise find)

Skinny laMinx

This little bottle opener was a gift I bought online for my husband a few years ago from the Canoe store. It’s Japanese and cast iron, and makes me excited about opening a bottle of beer every time.

Skinny laMinx

I’m not sure there are many people with a brick taking pride of place in the lounge, but we love this one, which we found holding a tarpaulin down in Thailand. Much pleading managed to convince the brick’s owner that a stone would do the job just as well, so now it graces the windowsill above our Ercol daybed (which we love too, even though it’s probably a knockoff)

Skinny laMinx

Just to the right of the table are shelves upon which this stone bird carved by a Zimbabwian artist lives. He’s so glossy and alert, and definitely a prized possession. More black birds, these by Missibaba creator, Chloe Townsend, currently live above our dining table.

Skinny laMinx

So much vintage stuff, so little space! We’re managing to fill up the shelves of our bright green kitchen pretty effectively.

Skinny laMinx

Yup, vintage pots are also on the menu. The ceramic one was a recent buy, and it was only after I had it with me at home that I discovered it was the design of a design hero, Stig Lindberg. It’s the kind of moment that makes a vintage hunter feel that all those rainy mornings spent poking through worthless junk were worthwhile after all.

I can’t find the quote, but I think the best advice I’ve heard was from Paul Smith who said something about how the things he’s said “no” to have allowed him to do some of his best work. Learning when to say ‘no’ so that I can concentrate on doing things properly is something I’m still trying to learn, but I’m getting better at it. Good luck with the move Holly! – Xx Heather

(images: skinny laminx)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 21, 2009

1. Jillian commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 8:57am

I love the color palette of your home and the variety of textures that your collections add – the brick, the curtains, the patterns on your china. And, I really enjoy how all of the warm wood tones pull everything together.
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Design of the Day – Chunky Amazonite Bracelet =-.

2. lesley commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 9:29am

what a beautiful home! i love your vintage kitchen-wares collections. that bright polka-dot tray brought back good memories of childhood, my parents have the same in blues + greens! a lovely home, thankyou for sharing.
    .-= lesley´s last blog ..paper collage =-.

3. jen commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 9:36am

I really love your style. I have some of the same things as you in my home. where is the yellow and white cushion from on the chair in the top picture, next to the little stool?

4. Christine commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 10:40am

I love, love the curtains, bottle opener (tres cute), the colorful mugs, and the really cool cookware. What treasures you have. i would love to have my style much as yours. Maybe I could use yours as an inspiration. I like the kickback, natural feel is has to it. :)
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Week 4 Personal Challenge =-.

5. Sasha K. commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 10:43am

LOVE that daybed! And all the birds, especially the 2 paintings(?), the green and yellow and black and white.
    .-= Sasha K.´s last blog ..BELLA earrings (SALE) =-.

6. Jennifer commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 1:31pm

Gosh you have so many wonderful things that are so unique! Lovely pictures!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Going to California =-.

7. Elyse commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 1:52pm

This is absolutely FANTASTIC. Thanks so much for sharing! Have an excellent weekend!
    .-= Elyse´s last blog ..Tuesday | Cody’s Favourites =-.

8. visualingual commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 5:28pm

Lovely home! I’ve enjoyed Skinny laMinx textiles since before I invited her to take part in the tea towel exhibit I curated in Cincinnati last summer: http://www.visualingual.org/teatowelshow/
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Grandma’s Doily Gas Station Price Placemat =-.

9. daisy janie commented
    August 21st, 2009 at 8:59pm

nice share HM! i’m certain i would be quite content there!
    .-= daisy janie´s last blog ..need a hand? =-.

10. Heather Moore commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 5:24am

Wish I could invite you all over for tea! Thanks so much for your nice comments. xx
    .-= Heather Moore´s last blog ..My favourite things on Decor8 today =-.

11. greybreaks commented
    August 22nd, 2009 at 9:59am

lovely home, enjoyed the vintage pots, and i just had to order one of those bottle openers for myself.

12. arounna commented
    August 24th, 2009 at 7:56pm

how I love all the beautiful objects in your own – full of warmth and inspiration. thanks for sharing!

13. H is for Home commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 1:01pm

Heather has such fabulous taste and a wonderful collection of objects. I really like that bottle opener- great quirky design!