uncategorized

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

August 25, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Serena Thompson, The Farm Chicks.

Hi! I’m Serena Thompson, co-founder of The Farm Chicks, a brand I created with my best friend and business partner, Teri Edwards. (Our blog is under the same name.) We came up with The Farm Chicks name after being invited into numerous farms and barns to collect old items. When we decided to start an antiques show and sell those items we’d been collecting, we knew we needed a name, and that’s how The Farm Chicks name was “hatched”. Years later, we still produce our annual antiques show, are cookbook authors, and work as contributing editors for Country Living Magazine. My husband, children, and I live on Peone Prairie, just outside of Spokane, Washington. We’re surrounded by thousands of acres of wheat fields, and an agricultural area known as Greenbluff. It’s a very beautiful and peaceful place to live. Much of our family time is spent in our kitchen, which is a nice, open space so I’ll share with you a few of my favorite things from this space.

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

When I designed the kitchen, I wanted it to feel timeless. The cupboards go straight to the floor with no stepback at my feet. Light pours in through the windows, making it a very bright and cheery place to be. The base cupboards are made of cherry wood and the countertops are maple.

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

The island is in the center of the kitchen. The bank of drawers to the right of the stove hold all of my baking supplies. I call it my baking center. You can read more about my baking center here and here if you’d like.

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

My current obsession is blue and red European enamelware.

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

I love making my home as pretty as possible. Kitchen cloths stacked on a cakestand are pretty and practical.

The Farm Chicks: Favorite Things

Before I go, I’ll leave you with a fun and easy DIY kitchen project — a magnetic knife rack. You can find complete instructions here. Enjoy!

Thank you for visiting my kitchen! — Happy Trails, Serena.

(images: serena thompson)

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Eveli Duarte August 25, 2009 at 6:45 am

Everything looks so pretty & practical.
    I love your kitchen! Especially the combination of natural wood & white cabinets + the design.
    Congrats from Brazil!
    Eveli ;-)
    .-= Eveli Duarte´s last blog ..Ideia de Papel – New Store =-.

• Reply BlondeShot Creative August 25, 2009 at 6:47 am

I love the Farm Chicks! a great guest post to have.
    .-= BlondeShot Creative´s last blog ..A few faces =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie August 25, 2009 at 7:42 am

I’m a fan of The Farm Chicks, so nice to see your post here! Your kitchen is amazing and I love how you have organized it and the pop of color with the books and kitchen utensils. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..A Photo Shoot Kind of Weekend =-.

• Reply Britt August 25, 2009 at 9:07 am

We’re redoing our kitchen and I just love the colors and space. my hubby would actually love the space of the room. he’s the cook of the family :) My favorite part is the colorful kitchen cloths.
    .-= Britt´s last blog ..Lovely Gesture – Set of 5 Thank You Cards =-.

• Reply Tina August 25, 2009 at 9:09 am

Sweet kitchen~ LOVE IT!
    LOVE the “Farm Chicks!”…

Tina~
    Cherry Hill Cottage…
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..My dream farmhouse… =-.

• Reply Andee August 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

This is such an amazing space. Thanks for such great inspiration!
    .-= Andee´s last blog ..First Day of School =-.

• Reply alisa August 25, 2009 at 9:52 am

Love that enamelware!
    .-= alisa´s last blog ..New Items in the store! =-.

• Reply cathie August 25, 2009 at 10:07 am

What a cheery place indeed! A few things I covet: that beautiful lt. blue European enamelware, those gorgeous maple countertops, your spotless wooden floor, and those colorful kitchen knives (are they hand painted?) Thank you for a little decorating incentive.
    .-= cathie´s last blog ..Say Good-bye to Summer – =-.

• Reply Ellen Patton August 25, 2009 at 10:52 am

in a word: jealous.
    .-= Ellen Patton´s last blog ..Old books =-.

• Reply Jenni O August 25, 2009 at 11:35 am

lovely, USABLE kitchen! I also like the combination of white, natural wood, and glass cabinets.
    .-= Jenni O´s last blog ..Secret Garden Thank You Notecards =-.

• Reply summer August 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm

holy cows. Where did those knives come from?

• Reply Kim G. August 25, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Love Serena’s kitchen! Dishtowels on a pedestal…fabulous! LOVE those Farm Chicks!
    .-= Kim G.´s last blog ..Starting School =-.

• Reply jamieofalltrades August 25, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I love all the bits of color, especially the knife rack. Very pretty!
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..blog crush :: needle+thread =-.

• Reply andreaj August 25, 2009 at 7:11 pm

yes, please do share the source of the kitchen knives. they’re fantastic

• Reply Julie M. August 25, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Serena,

I love the built-in hutch! (and the blue enamelware!)

: )

Julie M.
    .-= Julie M.´s last blog ..Happiness is… =-.

• Reply Serena Thompson August 25, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the sweet comments about my kitchen! The knives are from William Sonoma and TJ Maxx. They are becoming a lot easier to find.
    : ) Serena
    .-= Serena Thompson´s last blog ..My Favorite Things =-.

• Reply kt August 26, 2009 at 1:08 am

i have been enjoying your new cookbook already have made quite a few of the recipes and cranking out dishtowels from an old table cloth, it was fun to catch you here at holly’s great site. kt

• Reply viv August 26, 2009 at 6:28 am

sooo pretty! Thankd for the DIY project, love it.
    .-= viv´s last blog ..Big Owlie in pink and blue / plush owl =-.

• Reply Farmgirl Susan August 26, 2009 at 7:40 am

What a glorious kitchen! So many wonderful things about it. And I LOVE your blue and red enamelware – which looks just perfect arranged all together against the white. I found a vintage green enamelware dish recently with a red rim and immediately fell in love with it. I’ve never seen the light blue, but it’s my favorite color. I’ll have to start looking! :)
    .-= Farmgirl Susan´s last blog ..White Bean and Artichoke Dip / Spread Recipe with Rosemary, Pecorino Romano, & Kalamata Olives =-.

• Reply Serena Thompson August 26, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Susan, Here is the best source for the enamelware that I collect:
    They’re the sweetest people ever. If you contact them, let them know The Farm Chicks sent you, we’re old friends. :)
    Take care,
    Serena
    .-= Serena Thompson´s last blog ..Summer Shoot =-.

• Reply ~ Junkyard Jennifer August 26, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Serena, your kitchen is so beautiful! I want to live in it! It’s so spacious and all that counter space has got to be great for cooking.

I see where the knives are from…but what about the colorful spatulas?! I’m in dire need of new spatulas and mine are currently white. I need some fun colorful ones!

And, suddenly I need new knives. Mine will never seem as fun again.

~ Jennifer
    .-= ~ Junkyard Jennifer´s last blog ..Cookbook Update! =-.

• Reply Serena Thompson August 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

Hi Jennifer,
    You can move in, as long as you don’t mind helping out with some cooking once in a while. :)
    The blue and red spatulas are from the Martha line at Macy’s and the others are from William Sonoma.
    Take care,
    Serena
    .-= Serena Thompson´s last blog ..Summer Shoot =-.

• Reply ~ Junkyard Jennifer August 30, 2009 at 1:15 am

Perfect! I love to cook. ;)

Thank you!
    ~ Jennifer

• Reply Penny Patten September 1, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I love a white kitchen, so bright and cheery!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..That’s What She Said… =-.