DIY, Objects

Jam Jar Light DIY

August 26, 2009

Juliette from the Zuhause blog told me about a jam jar diy project that she posted on her site yesterday… Just an FYI in case you’ve been wanting to try this at home, Juliette can help you!

Jam Jar Light DIY

Jam Jar Light DIY

Note: as with any DIY project where you’re playing with electricity (he he) please be careful and exercise caution!!!

(images: zuhause)

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply juliette August 26, 2009 at 8:46 am

Thanks for the post! Apologies for the poor photo quality – currently all our pix come from our cell phone!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Jam Jar Pendant Lamp Tutorial (sorta) =-.

• Reply David August 26, 2009 at 8:54 am

Very innovative lighting design – and a great conversation piece! From the photo I cannot see the top of the lid, but wanted to know if you made any provision to let the heat out of the jar? I know light bulbs last longer if the heat is allowed to escape…. are you using energy saver bulbs that have a low heat signature?

• Reply lisa h. August 26, 2009 at 9:11 am

Neat idea, and I think it works really well in such a simply laid out, clean space like that. Very pretty.

I also like the glass block window, it reminds me of my grandparents’ house (although theirs were in an exterior wall, on either side of the front door) :)
    .-= lisa h.´s last blog ..Hey, let’s do a fabric swap!! =-.

• Reply Jacqueline August 26, 2009 at 9:18 am

Such a cool idea!! I really love this. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Wedding Belles =-.

• Reply juliette August 26, 2009 at 9:32 am

David – yes, extra ventilation holes were added and energy saver bulbs were used – both to help with the heat issue. Click over for the details!

lisa – the glass block window goes into our pantry, which has a huge skylight in it. this way we get some natural light in the breakfast nook, too! And we have them all over our front door area as well – this apartment came with a few surprises! =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Jam Jar Pendant Lamp Tutorial (sorta) =-.

• Reply kristy August 26, 2009 at 10:17 am

so cute! this would be darling for a backyard wedding too, going directly into my inspiration/planning file!
    .-= kristy´s last blog ..Brilliant Idea – Escalator Animation =-.

• Reply Travelingmama August 26, 2009 at 10:29 am

Juliette, I recognized your house! As soon as it popped up I thought, “hey, that looks just like Juliette’s breakfast nook!” How funny!! Love this project- gets my creative juices going for sure!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..encore {performance} =-.

• Reply Katie @ Making This Home August 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Oh how cool to see a peek of Juliette’s home in Germany on her blog and now here! Big smiles.
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..Notes on Flying… and Cookies =-.

• Reply Sydney August 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I’ve seen lights like these many times before, actually. There’s a store called Cult in the UK that had a window display using about 15 of them, however they drilled out the bottoms of the jars, and didn’t put lids on.

Thanks for the posting this project!

• Reply Jennifer August 29, 2009 at 12:58 am

Such and awesome idea and a great way to keep jars from being thrown out or being tossed into the recycling bin!!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..The OC Fashion Haul =-.

• Reply cor August 29, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I recognize the bonne maman jam jars. I too have been saving them for something. The jar is a classic.

• Reply Penny Patten September 3, 2009 at 8:36 am

Fun idea, love the wall color too!

• Reply Susan September 12, 2009 at 1:11 am

Susan

• Reply Susanne July 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hey, I know, it’s an old post, but I’ve just found it and I think it’s a great diy project and I would love to make it too. Could you tell me the German name of the connecting thingy and the electrician’s cutter? You see, I live in Germany, but I’m not a native, so I have great difficulties to find out specialist words ike this. I’ve had problems finding ‘Acryllack’ in Bauhaus before….

• Reply Rdeco September 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Well, I’ve made this two years ago, with bigger ones and they are still on my bedside table. I even filled them with tiny glass balls. They are wonderful and very easy, cause the top of the vase, can be cut with a can opener.