Jam Jar Light DIY

Juliette from the Zuhause blog told me about a jam jar diy project that she posted on her site yesterday… Just an FYI in case you’ve been wanting to try this at home, Juliette can help you!

Jam Jar Light DIY

Jam Jar Light DIY

Note: as with any DIY project where you’re playing with electricity (he he) please be careful and exercise caution!!!

(images: zuhause)

Posted by decor8 in diy, lighting on August 26, 2009

1. juliette commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 8:46am

Thanks for the post! Apologies for the poor photo quality – currently all our pix come from our cell phone!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Jam Jar Pendant Lamp Tutorial (sorta) =-.

2. David commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 8:54am

Very innovative lighting design – and a great conversation piece! From the photo I cannot see the top of the lid, but wanted to know if you made any provision to let the heat out of the jar? I know light bulbs last longer if the heat is allowed to escape…. are you using energy saver bulbs that have a low heat signature?

3. lisa h. commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 9:11am

Neat idea, and I think it works really well in such a simply laid out, clean space like that. Very pretty.

I also like the glass block window, it reminds me of my grandparents’ house (although theirs were in an exterior wall, on either side of the front door) :)
    .-= lisa h.´s last blog ..Hey, let’s do a fabric swap!! =-.

4. Jacqueline commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 9:18am

Such a cool idea!! I really love this. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Wedding Belles =-.

5. juliette commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 9:32am

David – yes, extra ventilation holes were added and energy saver bulbs were used – both to help with the heat issue. Click over for the details!

lisa – the glass block window goes into our pantry, which has a huge skylight in it. this way we get some natural light in the breakfast nook, too! And we have them all over our front door area as well – this apartment came with a few surprises! =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Jam Jar Pendant Lamp Tutorial (sorta) =-.

6. kristy commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 10:17am

so cute! this would be darling for a backyard wedding too, going directly into my inspiration/planning file!
    .-= kristy´s last blog ..Brilliant Idea – Escalator Animation =-.

7. Travelingmama commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 10:29am

Juliette, I recognized your house! As soon as it popped up I thought, “hey, that looks just like Juliette’s breakfast nook!” How funny!! Love this project- gets my creative juices going for sure!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..encore {performance} =-.

8. Katie @ Making This Home commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 1:16pm

Oh how cool to see a peek of Juliette’s home in Germany on her blog and now here! Big smiles.
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..Notes on Flying… and Cookies =-.

9. Sydney commented
    August 26th, 2009 at 5:48pm

I’ve seen lights like these many times before, actually. There’s a store called Cult in the UK that had a window display using about 15 of them, however they drilled out the bottoms of the jars, and didn’t put lids on.

Thanks for the posting this project!

10. Jennifer commented
    August 29th, 2009 at 12:58am

Such and awesome idea and a great way to keep jars from being thrown out or being tossed into the recycling bin!!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..The OC Fashion Haul =-.

11. cor commented
    August 29th, 2009 at 9:06pm

I recognize the bonne maman jam jars. I too have been saving them for something. The jar is a classic.

12. Penny Patten commented
    September 3rd, 2009 at 8:36am

Fun idea, love the wall color too!

13. Susan commented
    September 12th, 2009 at 1:11am

Susan

14. Susanne commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 2:25pm

Hey, I know, it’s an old post, but I’ve just found it and I think it’s a great diy project and I would love to make it too. Could you tell me the German name of the connecting thingy and the electrician’s cutter? You see, I live in Germany, but I’m not a native, so I have great difficulties to find out specialist words ike this. I’ve had problems finding ‘Acryllack’ in Bauhaus before….

15. Rdeco commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:53pm

Well, I’ve made this two years ago, with bigger ones and they are still on my bedside table. I even filled them with tiny glass balls. They are wonderful and very easy, cause the top of the vase, can be cut with a can opener.