uncategorized

Bunkers Become Apartments

August 31, 2009

I was reading an interesting article this morning in the local news and discovered German architects Rainer Mielke and Claus Freudenberg (from nearby Bremen) and their current project called Bunker Wohnen. Here in my new country you can find many remains from World War II, in particular unoccupied bunkers with vines growing all over them…  Perhaps this will now change. These innovative architects thought up the idea of turning bunkers into affordable apartments and here’s a sneak peek of how they’re being transformed below.

Bunkers Become Apartments

Bunkers Become Apartments

This project is so interesting and I think you may like to learn more about it so click here to read the full article in English. “Some 2,000 bunkers still stand in Germany, and Mielke’s project could become an integral part of repurposing the cement structures.” As an American living in Germany, I hope so! It’s innovative and fresh, provides housing, and is a smart and progressive idea.

(images: bunker wohnen)

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

• Reply trish August 31, 2009 at 8:36 am

The interior feels clean, light and mod– makes for a perfect creative/ artist’s space. I have great appreciation for the redo rather than the tear down. Cool story.
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Clear Design for Interiors =-.

• Reply Ilona August 31, 2009 at 8:58 am

This is one of the best ways to get rid of the war traces. Beautiful idea, beautiful architecture.
    .-= Ilona´s last blog ..Skirtukas gi jis ar si?l? laikiklis??? Hmmm… =-.

• Reply juliette August 31, 2009 at 9:21 am

oh now this is encouraging! There’s such a housing shortage in so many areas of Germany, so this is a cool way to develop.

I’m curious how they keep the dank-ness out…have to go read it!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Free Printables for Jams and Cans =-.

• Reply rose August 31, 2009 at 9:51 am

great, thank you for this one… i’ve seen these projects from outside, and now I know, how they look inside…

all best, rose
    .-= rose´s last blog ..hip hip, up up =-.

• Reply Leigh August 31, 2009 at 11:52 am

I love this!! So beautiful and agree it is a great way of getting rid of the darkness of the past. Let the light shine :)

• Reply Jennifer August 31, 2009 at 11:53 am

What a wonderful idea! The interior is stunning!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Etsy Finds: Autumnal Inspired Jewelry =-.

• Reply Petra :-) August 31, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I like the idea very much since I heard from it first some time ago..there is a bunker not far away from our home and I am excited to have a look inside if it´s possible when they finished the work once.
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..invitation :-) =-.

• Reply French Blast August 31, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I love this idea! Very great

• Reply shelly September 1, 2009 at 3:09 pm

In Brittany, France, they turned a bunker in to a shopping center. it looked very cool. What a way to profit off of this sad reminder!
    .-= shelly´s last blog ..pink heartini =-.

• Reply pixie September 1, 2009 at 8:18 pm

That’s so cool. There’s a place in Alexadria, Louisiana that’s similar but not clearly so cool and well designed, but they took the old army base houses and renovated them into an assisted living / retirement community. It was pretty cool that elderly people in the area who couldn’t live on their own could still have their own little house but be connected to medical and emergency facilities when needed.
    .-= pixie´s last blog ..So Charming =-.

• Reply Kristin September 2, 2009 at 9:59 am

Great blog post, Holly. It’s very interesting! I think it’s a great idea… to not only “get rid of the war traces” as someone mentioned above… but it’s just smart development! Why not use existing buildings? Especially ones with a historical link to them? I wish America were better at this. It seems our answer to everything, more often then not, is to tear it down.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Inspired Interview* Ivey Handcrafted =-.

• Reply Penny Patten September 5, 2009 at 8:34 am

Wow, this is fantastic, lets hope that it takes off! What a great and big, no huge project for them to take on.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..My Newest Old Obsession =-.

• Reply Kiran September 26, 2009 at 11:54 pm

What a great plan to banish war traces! It’s so airy, full of light and life :) Hopeful for a great success.

.-= Kiran´s last blog ..Diane van Furstenberg =-.