Pikaland: Favorite Things

Hello everyone! While I’m back blogging full-time here on decor8, I have some lovely “favorite things” to still share with you from some fellow bloggers… I ended up having so many accept my invitation to participate that more favorite things will be included this week so that I can get them all up for you to see. :) Enjoy! -Holly

A few of my favorite things: Pikaland

Hi everyone! I’m Amy Ng from Malaysia and I write the Pikaland blog – a blog about living the illustrated life – and I’ll be showing you a few of my favorite things as part of Holly’s guest series while she is settling in her new country.

Pikaland

I recently moved house and one of my first priorities was to make my own working corner as comfortable as possible. I love cheery colors and lots of light, so I chose a spot by the door. The shawl was given by my best friend in Japan when I visited, and it’s always been with me ever since. The drawers were a vintage find, while the bookcase is from IKEA – I taped a patterned paper to the back of it (to avoid dust and to add a pop of color!)

Pikaland

I have a lot of books and I just moved it upstairs into a mini library of sorts. The books shown here are what I like to flip through when I’m trying to sort through mental clutter.

Pikaland

We have a yellow feature wall that was supposed to be filled with art, but right now we’re still organizing things, so it has to wait. I love this particular nook because of the contrast in color that seems to make the space bigger, and of course, there’s Camilla’s print on the wall! My husband loves to collect sculptures/3-D items while I like paper/2-D items.

Pikaland

Our bedroom is black and white, but the walls are a deep orchid purple, so it’s one of our favourite places to lounge about and talk about what happened during our day. Our room’s layout was a little odd, so we decided to drape a patterned fabric and hung it from the ceiling, and it also acts as a divider – the best part is that we instantly had a walk-in closet! Those little sticky notes you see in the picture was one I left for him under the pillows when I had to go away for the weekend – he likes to read it over and over again, and so there they will stay.

Pikaland

This is a little embarrassing to say, but I find myself dressing in colors that have brown or aqua blue in them. I have my favourite bag in there, as well as my jacket that makes me stand out among a sea of boring corporate types, and these lovely new heels. I am a collector of shoes with t-straps and I love seeing variations of patterns and styles for it. I love bangles, and I must have one on my wrist — without them I’d feel a little naked! I also collect books that I find inspiring and I am in love with my collection of vintage children’s books that were handed down from my cousins which I now display in my library upstairs.

My inspiration comes from reading lots of books – I still have a stack of illustrated children’s books from the 1970s which are almost falling apart (no thanks to silverfishes.) My imagination is able to conjure up images just from reading, and is one of the reasons I don’t watch movies based on books, especially if I have read the book before – most of the time I prefer the reels that are showing in my mind! I also love to travel and wish I could do more of it – I’d love to be able to meet some of the friends I have made over the internet.

My favorite advice is one that my teacher told me: “Don’t be afraid to buck the herd and be yourself. When the whole herd jumps over the cliff – will you be one of them too?” I took this advice literally and it changed the way I looked at life forever.

I hope you enjoyed that little sneak peek of a few of my favourite things — thanks so much Holly for inviting me over! : )- Amy

(images: amy ng)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on August 31, 2009

1. Andee commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 8:48am

Hi Amy! I love the advice your teacher gave you. Isn’t it neat how a small word of encouragement can stay with someone forever? I also love the outfit you created. Brown and blue is a great combination! Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Andee´s last blog ..So grown up! =-.

2. Wendy McDonagh-Valentine commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 8:56am

Hi there. I recently found your blog and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. I love what your teacher said to you and how it had such a profound effect on your life. Good teachers truly do God’s work, don’t they?!!? I look forward to reading more of your entries. Thanks so much. : )

~ Wendy

3. Alison commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 9:16am

Hi Amy. What a pleasant surprise to see pictures of your home over on decor8! It’s really interesting to see the working corner where you create the fantastic Pikaland blog :)
    .-= Alison´s last blog ..orange, white and blue =-.

4. CherryTreeLane commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 9:20am

I love this post. And I love when I share the same books of the shelf.

5. rk commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 9:22am

Hi Amy,
    I love the fabric you hung behind your bed! Are you able to tell us what it is/where it’s from?
    Thanks for sharing your fun space and things!

6. Jacqueline commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 9:55am

Hiee Amy, so happy to see you here! I love your workspace…so full of color and inspiration! You home is soo lovely and cozy! Thank you for sharing your favs with us! Hope you had a good weekend and love to you and Holly!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Cotton candy.Cotton time =-.

7. Amy@Pikaland commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 9:56am

Hi rk, the fabric is from IKEA — I don’t remember the name though! I bought it last year, so perhaps you can still find it?

Oh and yes, I do love that bit of advice very much. He was giving a short speech in the middle of a lecture and when he said it he was looking right at me (because I talked to him about doubting my capabilities a few months earlier, and knowing sheepishly that I stood out from the rest of the class because of my quirkiness) :)
    .-= Amy@Pikaland´s last blog ..Ninon [2] =-.

8. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 10:05am

Oh, I love it, I love it, I love it! I am not surprised to see how gorgeous and impeccable your taste is Amy! I adore the yellows in your home, love your beautiful bedroom and my favorite….the collection of your fave things from your wardrobe. LOVE that bag(where is it from hun?) love that coat(ditto) and those heels! What is the little light blue, spiky round thing? A bangle? It is pretty…..thank you so much for sharing some of your lovely world with us Amy! I enjoyed it VERY much!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by a photograph =-.

9. andrea daquino commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 10:18am

hey amy, its such fun to get a peek into your world. keep writing/blogging and springing your lovely vision on all of us as much as possible!
    ~ andrea

10. Jen commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 10:29am

it’s so nice to get a peek inside your space amy, it’s beautiful! i’ve seen your bookcase before, & whenever i see it again it reminds me of how much i love that pattern you chose to put inside.

11. Frugal Bon Vivant commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:05am

Cute way to change up the Expedit bookcase!
    .-= Frugal Bon Vivant´s last blog ..Beauty Round-up: 7 Freebies (+Benefit Mascara!) =-.

12. Joselyn commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:08am

Hi Amy,

I am a blue/ brown fanatic (all shades) when it comes to home decor and lately I find it sneaking into my wardrobe as well. I can truly relate to your to your fashion pic. Beautiful!
    .-= Joselyn´s last blog ..I Spy DIY at Disney =-.

13. Naomi commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:12am

Hi Amy! I was just reading your post and was surprised that we seem to have a couple of things in common: the stickie notes (my entire house is pasted full of them, my boyfriend and I leave each other notes all the time, so you can find them on the night tables, kitchen cabinets, the bathroom mirror, next to door frames, etc!) and I can’t leave the house without bangles either, the more the better :) Anyways, thanks for sharing your home ;)
    .-= Naomi´s last blog ..(73) Days of Summer =-.

14. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:27am

I love your use of color! The black and white bed seems like the perfect relaxing place to end the day in.
    .-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..My House… Worth Every Penny! =-.

15. Heidi Loves Painting commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:48am

What a nice working space and so bright. Bold color choice that works well:)

16. Jennifer commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:59am

I love your bedroom as well as your beautiful blue coat! I too love collecting vintage children’s books, I always love the illustrations!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Etsy Finds: Autumnal Inspired Jewelry =-.

17. Andrea commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 12:17pm

I love this post. I love Amy’s space. I love the tiled floor in her office. I love that a design post mentioned *silverfish*. Heh. My skin crawls when I think of them. I recently got a *forgotten* box of textiles and unfortunately the vintage silk Kimono jacket is “rusted” and “hole-y” because of those creepy things! Blegh-k.
    Andrea
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..Look… =-.

18. Mallory commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 12:45pm

Oh, yay! I’m so excited to see Amy on here! Pikaland is one of my favorite-favorite-favorites. & it’s so nice to see the lovely habitat she’s blogging away from.
    .-= Mallory´s last blog ..Lovely Finds – Spread the Love =-.

19. Amy@Pikaland commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 1:23pm

Thank you so much everyone for the love! Although I have to be honest and say that the house is not really completed yet — there’s just so many more things to be done up (the kitchen, for one…) but we’re holding it off until we have some extra cash. We just spruced up the spaces that are used a lot — hence a lot of the things you see are from IKEA. ;)

Melissa, the bag is from cottonfield, the jacket is from topshop, and the spiky blue thingy is a poufy beaded ring! I should take a close up picture of it… it’s big and crazy!
    .-= Amy@Pikaland´s last blog ..Ninon [2] =-.

20. kellyhicks commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 1:32pm

I love your workspace. I am envious that you have so much light and room! Great colors too.
    .-= kellyhicks´s last blog ..FIELDS | of summer =-.

21. char commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 2:36pm

I think this has to be one of my favourite things today…I love seeing work spaces…I did have one until my husband started renovating the basement…and took a break over the Summer!
    It’s ok…we learn to work anywhere.
    Great read as always…thanks amy!
    Char
    .-= char´s last blog ..English cousins… =-.

22. Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/yahgie commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 2:47pm

I love the yellow walls very cheerful. Great advice. I love reading your blog. :=)
    .-= Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/yahgie´s last blog .."Just a taste of what’s to come" =-.

23. Santhy commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 4:36pm

Wow, Amy, I love how you decorate and arrange everything in your place, I’m from West Malaysia and if I’ve never known that you’re in Malaysia, I would have thought that you lived in Europe or some other western countries. I wish I have your skills to make your home a really comfy and lovely place to live in. Thanks for sharing this, it’s very inspirational.

24. Beach Vintage commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 4:51pm

I just love that aqua blue jacket there. It is just lovely.
    .-= Beach Vintage´s last blog ..Vintage Children’s Books =-.

25. louise/artandghosts commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 5:09pm

As a fellow book lover, i am envious of your beautiful collection – and so true regarding their inspirational value!
    Your spaces are so vibrant yet soothing, I especially love the workroom and the beautiful bed.
    .-= louise/artandghosts´s last blog ..Porcelain =-.

26. monica from hola!design commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 7:31pm

I love your yellow walls!
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Is that a vase? =-.

27. Fiona commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 8:02pm

Setting up my space is the best bit about moving – finding all those treasures you had stashed for later.
    The advice from your teacher – fantastic. there is always and inspiring teacher in a happy persons past

28. bonne commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 10:33pm

your favourite books also are my treasure, and i love your fantastic Pikaland blog!
    .-= bonne´s last blog ..Kendal Murray =-.

29. Mishy Lane commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 10:59pm

Hey!

I think you are lovely, so I gave you a blog award! Pass it on. X

30. puglyfeet commented
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:39pm

Thank you for the very much needed eye candy!

31. Momo commented
    September 1st, 2009 at 3:47am

Amy and Holly, I have been enjoying both your blogs so much. This is a nice behind-the-scene look. You have a beautiful home Amy. I love illustrated children’s books too and many of them have inspired me, especially when I was much younger. My dream is to have a shop or cafe full of illustrated children’s books only.
    .-= Momo´s last blog ..IF – Magnify =-.

32. Wendy commented
    September 1st, 2009 at 4:44am

Love love love this post…
    Always so happy to find a new blog to follow!

33. Ainsley commented
    September 2nd, 2009 at 1:19pm

What a fantastic post! Love the office, love the outfit (especially that bag, whoo!) Really love the fabric behind the bed, as well as the bedspread.
    .-= Ainsley´s last blog ..Where is my mind? =-.

34. stephanie commented
    September 3rd, 2009 at 10:19am

How cool too see a few glimpses of Amy’s beautiful apartment. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= stephanie´s last blog ..Good News & Bad News =-.

35. Novi commented
    September 3rd, 2009 at 3:34pm

Thanks so much Holly for posting more Favorite Things. I’m so glad to be able to read about things people hold dear to their heart as it means quite literally that, close to their heart. I just find it so inspiring how people make their place their home. Thanks for sharing your home Amy, love the yellow in your place, very cheery. Your point about saving up to spruce up the place as you go along, just like us! Love your blog too!
    .-= Novi´s last blog ..Shapes =-.

36. Penny Patten commented
    September 5th, 2009 at 8:31am

Very bright and cheery! I like your imagination and advice.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..My Newest Old Obsession =-.

37. Melayu Boleh commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 7:15am

Clean and tidy .. i love it :) … just bookmark this blog.
    .-= Melayu Boleh´s last blog ..[Sedia] Jom Buat Blog WordPress =-.

38. Kiran commented
    September 26th, 2009 at 11:59pm

Hi Amy! Thanks for sharing your space with us. I love the quote with your teacher. It makes so much sense. Count me as one of your regular readers!!

.-= Kiran´s last blog ..Diane van Furstenberg =-.