Arts + Crafts

Freya Art & Design

September 11, 2009

I don’t know what’s in the air lately, but I’ve received some of the best submissions ever! Recently I heard from Freya Ete from Freya Art & Design and just got around to looking over her submission this morning and feel so bad that I didn’t get to it sooner. What talent and fun, whimsical illustrations with so many caring thoughts! She is an artist who lives in London (part-time) and on Phillip Island during the rest of the year and her pieces are lovely and full of sunshine and warmth.

Freya Art & Design

There is so much negativity in the world (but a lot of good too) but for me to navigate the bad I like to surround myself with positive thoughts (and people) – it’s my way of getting through the muck sometimes. Some people can be so thoughtless, negative, and absolute pains sometimes, can’t they? Sheesh! I’ve dealt with flakes, copycats, people who cannot forgive simple mistakes, those who are obsessed with perfection to a fault, those who are just plain mean — most of whom I personally never care to deal with again. But on the flipside of all that pain and drama, which I have none of in my life currently, there is a lot of sunshine, hope and a refinement process that builds character so that once you’ve dealt with a difficult personality, you are sometimes so much better from it! And you know what to look for to avoid those “types” next time. Aging = wisdom. Well, hopefully. :)

And of course, I always think about this on September 11th because as an American, this day will forever mark a day of great sorrow in my country when stupid people did very evil things. And I think that to the rest of the world, those who are not American but who care about life and freedom, 9-11 will always be a day of reflection for them too. We all want peace and happiness. So here are some nice positive thoughts for all of us to reflect on today… let’s leave the negativity behind and focus our energy on the good, the great, and the amazing!

Freya Art & Design

Freya Art & Design

Freya Art & Design

Many more are available for your enjoyment at the little Fréya Art & Design shop. Enjoy!

(images: fréya art & design)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Karin Elizabeth September 11, 2009 at 7:18 am

Beautiful colour palette in her work. (Your blog is making my day today, so many interesting posts!)
    .-= Karin Elizabeth´s last blog ..R&R 058 | The Angel’s Game =-.

• Reply Denise Laborde September 11, 2009 at 7:34 am

Lovely and hapiness-inducing. The first one just might get me through winter.
    .-= Denise Laborde´s last blog ..The Foam Stamp Series: Manifesto-inspired Layouts =-.

• Reply Petergaye S.Kisielewicz/Yahgie September 11, 2009 at 7:48 am

I love the yellow illustration so happy and bright.
    .-= Petergaye S.Kisielewicz/Yahgie´s last blog ..Don’t expect =-.

• Reply casapinka September 11, 2009 at 8:18 am

It does seem like there is a bit more negativity around lately…I notice it in local businesses, especially – like the economy is making people anxious. But it’s true that we can choose to surround ourselves with positive people and be positive ourselves. These art pieces are just wonderful works of art and really reflect lovely sentiments. I think I may have to go and buy one!
    .-= casapinka´s last blog ..Prabal Gurung =-.

• Reply michelle September 11, 2009 at 8:18 am

I’ve perused Fréya’s shop many times. This might sound silly, but the only reason I have yet to make is a purchase is that I love every single thing and can’t decide what to get.
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..Steal This Idea… =-.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread September 11, 2009 at 8:20 am

These are so naive in style and just plain sweet. I totally agree with you about surrounding ourselves with the positive – thoughts and people – it is the only way to go.
    Holly you’re right about 9-11 being a time of reflection here in Australia too – the day underlines all we have to be grateful for, a lot of which we often take for granted.
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..Happy Weekend =-.

• Reply Six Different Ways September 11, 2009 at 8:25 am

You’re right Holly, today is such an important day to appreciate our family and friends and remember not to take ANYTHING for granted. These images are a perfect selection for today ( I especially love #2) – they are beautiful and their words simple but evoke so much positive emotion. Thanks for sharing this wonderful artist with us.

• Reply Johanna September 11, 2009 at 8:33 am

That is so funny! The whole day long I was thinking about how sometimes people can be mean just because it makes them feel more powerful or so (had to deal with a mean seller :( and I know exactely the other side of the coin and tried to be really nice to him!).
    Well, anyway, I now believe that all things bad (and good!) that you do come back to you and therefore I am trying my best to act and be nice and supportive to everyone (which is not that easy when you are bavarian and therefore most of the time cranky (by birth not by choice)).
    And today was one of these days when the world appeared to be this mean and dark place and then I got to your blog with lots and lots of nice designs and ideas and really bright things to look at and suddenly the world doesn’t seem to mean anymore.
    Long story short: Thank you. For todays posts and all the ones up to now and hopefully many more to follow.
    Liebe Grüße aus dem Süden ;)

• Reply Jacqueline September 11, 2009 at 8:38 am

So happy you featured Freya’s work today! She is one of my favorite too. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and a wonderful weekend! Love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..umbrella f.u.n =-.

• Reply lisa September 11, 2009 at 8:44 am

the boat one would look perfect in my bedroom, thank you for showcasing the wonderful work

• Reply The Perfect Palette September 11, 2009 at 8:50 am

incredible color palettes!
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..Inspired Ink: Yellow Makes Me Happy! =-.

• Reply Danielle September 11, 2009 at 9:23 am

OMG! These prints brought tears to my eyes! How sweet!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 11, 2009 at 10:22 am

Oh…..I love her work so much and wish I had several of her pieces covering up a whole wall! :) Thanks for sharing this today hun and I hope you have a lovely weekend!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Little Robot =-.

• Reply Kristin September 11, 2009 at 10:43 am

Such a lovely post – I love the final thought about the little adventurous bird; so true.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Taylor’s Gourmet via Dwell Magazine =-.

• Reply raquel raney September 11, 2009 at 11:59 am

love love.

• Reply Dinah September 11, 2009 at 12:01 pm

The thoughts behind both Freya’s work and your impetus for showing them are lovely–thank you for sharing them. Based on input from all sorts of places, I have come to find that my mind’s eye can on any given day become framed by mean and sharp spikes (somehow I actually see these) or floating in a visceral fluffy cloud. Anyhow, surrounding oneself with beautiful and inspiring things such as these pieces is a great antidote to the spikey parts!
    .-= Dinah´s last blog ..Oh so beautiful Japanese Graphics =-.

• Reply Pixel Wild Child September 11, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I love the positive messages in Freya’s work and her fun and colourful style… lovely!
    .-= Pixel Wild Child´s last blog ..It has been a quite exciting week… ;O) =-.

• Reply Wedding Chicks September 11, 2009 at 12:28 pm

thanks for sharing all of these great positive thoughts! i especially love the card with the whale!!
    .-= Wedding Chicks´s last blog ..Agaimages a New York City Wedding Photographer Part II =-.

• Reply Sara September 11, 2009 at 1:56 pm

That elephant print is so sweet!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..etsy find: NY vinyl. =-.

• Reply Zarnigar September 12, 2009 at 3:53 am

i remember when i was a child i made alot of these kinda designs ……. these things creates cooperative thoughts….. ferya’s work is really mindblowing

• Reply liza September 12, 2009 at 11:20 am

Oh my! I love her work. Thank you!

• Reply Jen F. September 12, 2009 at 2:50 pm

One of the reasons I love your blog Holly, is because of the positivity and happiness that oozes with each post. I love coming here each evening and viewing all of your lovely images. Ferya’s work is so sunny and reminds me of my childhood! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply viv September 12, 2009 at 7:20 pm

what a great post, and such a beautiful work from Ferya!
    .-= viv´s last blog ..Jolie La Petite Ballerina =-.

• Reply thedoodlegirl September 13, 2009 at 12:14 am

WOW! Fantastic stuff!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Tooth Fairy Notes =-.

• Reply a pretty trip September 14, 2009 at 5:35 am

Holly – love love love your blog. All the beautiful things you find – it’s the best way to spend an afternoon! Those pics are gorgeous.
    .-= a pretty trip´s last blog ..My desk =-.

• Reply Dr. Ruggly September 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for this post. It is always important to stay positive and peaceful, and September 11th is a great example of why it is so important. Hopefully we can avoid situations like that and the Iraq War in the future by staying positive and demanding peace.

• Reply Souza Bernal Mariana September 15, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I love it.
    Thanks for share the power of optimism.

• Reply jamie lou September 16, 2009 at 9:09 am

i would also like to note that i have had VERY positive experiences with freya as a vendor. my package arrived very cute but a bit damaged and she immediately took action to fix the issue. she is super professional, super sweet, and her stuff is so darn cute! i LOVE IT!
    .-= jamie lou´s last blog create: chalkboard vases =-.

• Reply Penny Patten September 18, 2009 at 10:40 am

How fun are these? Thank You for sharing these with us!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..100_4315 =-.