Happy Friday!

Hello friends! Yes well… I’m signing off quite early today — please forgive me for running out so soon. I have an immigration interview in a few hours which will determine whether or not I can truly stay here or not (LOL) and afterwards, another related appointment, then I need to go shopping for some essentials as our shipment from America has not yet arrived by boat (boo hoo) so I need a few things to hold me over until my boxes arrive. I’m taking the day off. I know, oh gosh. Bad blogger. :)

sea shanties

But before I go, what will you do this weekend? Please share! On Saturday, I’m hitting the fabric market coming to town (like a circus without the clowns and fleas!) held outdoors all day… It’s an open air event that I love and the weather calls for sunshine (yay!). It’s pretty much a paved area in the city right in front of a coffee house, so I can get fuel first, where a bunch of sellers have tents and they’re offering fabrics, notions and sewing machines for sale. This “band” of people come over primarily from Holland but some German sellers are there too, of course.  There are rows and rows of linens, poplins, silk, brocade, you name it. And lots of buttons and such. I will be there with a big smile and a camera to hopefully steal some impressions for you! If I do take photos, I’ll be sure to share them next week so that you are able to feel like we went together because let’s face it, we’d all have a blast at something like this together!

I also have family coming over and a big dinner to prepare Saturday night and Sunday is busy, busy, busy too – but breakfast will be spent at home followed by a walk in the forest. And in the midst of it all, I’m trying to plan a few upcoming vacations so I have a bit of research to do on Sunday morning to decide where we will go and for how long. :) And I still need to crack open those three design books that I showed you last Friday. I never did read them last weekend… I did promise a review so I will get to that on Monday so please join me back here for that. Also, Miss Leslie will be back on Monday with her brand spankin’ new, very inspiring, palette for Color Me Pretty. I can’t wait to show you her gorgeous photos that she’s produced just for you.

Okay then, see you on Monday and wish me luck today at my immigration appointment. I’ll be speaking German during the interview so please, if you believe in magic and miracles, unicorns and tree spirits then wiggle your nose, pray for me, wave your wand… whatever it takes to help me not stumble over my words and to obtain my visa so someday I can have my shiny EU residency card. :)

So again, what will you do this weekend?

(image: sea shanties, whom I adore…)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on September 18, 2009

1. Juana commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 3:39am

Hi Holly! I wish you all the luck to your immigration appointment! following your blog in Haus Maus we see that you’ve put quite an effort learning German so you will do great for sure! :)

My weekend! I live in Belgium so I’m looking forward to going this Sunday to the very famous Waterloo Flea Market! I’ve heard wonders about it!
    Have you been i Belgium before? if yes would love to know the spots you know here! you always know some really nice places!

Enjoy your weekend! :D

2. Yvonne commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 3:49am

Sounds like a fun-filled weekend for you Holly! All the best on your German interview…I’m sure you will charm their socks off…:)
    I’m babysitting my nephews on Saturday, then crafting on Sunday with the fabulous materials I just picked up from my local craft store!
    I’m looking forward to the photos of your fabric market day…it sounds like a visual feast…:)

Have a great weekend!
    .-= Yvonne´s last blog ..Fun day =-.

3. cheryl commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 4:35am

Happy Weekend!!!
    Wishing you lots and lots of luck!!!!

can’t wait to read your reviews further next week.

4. Lovely Sunflower commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 5:12am

Have fun at the Ausländerbehörde :) Zeig den was Du kannst ;)
    Finally, finally, I’m taking my lovely little car and going to Hamburg to enjoy a high quality flea market, a stroll+Fischbrötchen at Hamburger Hafen, a coffee with a lovely friend of mine and picking up my freshly-ebayed Impressionen ladder shelf. I also have a couple of b-day parties to attend…
    Will probably spend Sunday working like hell but who cares – Hamburg meine Perle, ich komme :)
    .-= Lovely Sunflower´s last blog ..Chaos Vs Feng Shui =-.

5. a pretty trip commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 5:39am

Good luck with your interview!

This weekend I’m off to check out a floor lamp my fave vintage store sourced for me. But I would love love love to go to a open air fabric market — that sounds so delightful!
    .-= a pretty trip´s last blog ..I heart pink =-.

6. Concha commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 6:20am

Good luck Holly!!

Oh I so want to go to that fabric market! But I’m in Lisbon so…

This weekend I’m going to photograph lots of new things to update my blog and etsy shop: bags, purse organisers and even two baby quilts I made for a friend who’s pregnant!

Happy weekend to you!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Dress to Impress :: grey =-.

7. Katarina commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 7:02am

I wish I can come along at the fabric market;) Maybe you should visit Rovinj, Brioni and Pula sometimes. Istra (Croatia) is so beautiful, inspiring and not so far away from you now.
    Happy weekend to you too and wish you good luck for the interview!!!
    .-= Katarina´s last blog ..Thank you ETSY =-.

8. The Perfect Palette commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 7:12am

Happy Happy Friday!
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..281: A Backyard BBQ: {Candy Apple Red & Kraft Paper Brown} =-.

9. juliette commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 7:15am

good luck today! I hope you get a friendly person at the Auslandersamt – my first one was so rude and created problems, but when we moved towns, the next office was the total opposite!

We’re dog sitting – so lots of long and hopefully sunny walks together! We’re also bringing my MIL home from the hospital after knee surgery and setting her up with some lovely winter stew to feast on for the first few days she’ll have to be on her own.

I’m looking forward to a photo-laden review of the market! Still not sure if I can swing the Sept Frankfurt date or if I have to wait for Nurnburg in October, but I’d love a preview (also to convince the husband to free up a few more funds for the fun, ha ha!) – enjoy!!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: September and a Science Fair =-.

10. decor8 commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:02am

Juliette! Hello! I just got back from the Auslandersamt and it was wonderful, wow! The man we had was around our age and very, very friendly. He was impressed with my German so I got my temporary residency with no problem at all. PLUS they are going to send me to language school at NO CHARGE. Wow, gotta love Germany! Then next October, I go back and show paperwork that I enrolled in a language program and they’ll give me residency! In three years from now, I’ll be an EU resident so to speak, I cannot WAIT. It’s a dream come true. When he placed everything in my passport today and stamped it I nearly cried but of course, not in front of a government official. But I was sooo over the top happy. Last year the lady at the Auslandersamt was also very, very friendly to me and extended my visa with no question. I’ve had ONLY positive experiences here at the Auslandersamt and the Burgeramt so far. I wish all expats could go through this process in Hannover, people here are so friendly. I’ve heard Auslandersamt in Berlin is quite horrifying to deal with, sadly.

11. Rachel commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:14am

Good wishes, Holly! My Sweetie had his immigration appointment two weeks ago (He’s British, but we live in the US). The preparation was way scarier than the appointment itself!

This weekend, I’m ballroom dancing, cooking chicken in a Dutch Oven, buying a new trash bin for the kitchen, and attempting to catch up on the running that I didn’t do during the week.

12. Kate F. commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:31am

We are having dinner with our new neighbors tonight, and tomorrow we’re driving out to the farm where we get our CSA. They are having a “Smelly Potluck”: We’re going to help clean up all the onions and garlic that have been curing, removing the outer skins and trimming up the tops to get them ready for distribution, and then we’ll have a potluck. Fun, right?

13. Raina Kattelson commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:36am

Congratulations..it sounds like an amazing place. Germany was never high on my places to go list but it has recently moved up thanks to you.

This weekend I am finishing up styling some shot’s for my blog before I head off to Istanbul with my wonderful husband. Also enjoying the lovely Hudson Valley weather, perfect sunny, crisp days and yummy apples and pears from the farm market.
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..iris apfel- style baby style =-.

14. samantha commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:57am

interview sounds a little scarry! should be a little caht ocer tea and biscuits much more friendly.
    This weekend I’m up early to do a car boot sale, then on the hunt for an interesting vase for my flower arranging course, and also looking for tools for my upholstery course that i have recently started.
    I love flowers in the home, I’m more of natural arrangment flower display, but thougth I would learn how to do other things. For my upholstery, I’m giving an old chair a new lease of life, discovered a new site called http://www.spruceaustin.com which I realy like, so will be looking at that for inspiration as well. Hope the sun shines all weekend! :0
    .-= samantha´s last blog ..Friday Folksy Finds =-.

15. Ele commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:13am

Hi Holly, glad to hear that everything went well in your interview! You must be so relieved, and how wonderful about the German classes. You’ll be fluent in no time ;)

Tomorrow I’ll likely be heading up to the Cotswolds for a relaxing day trip with my boyfriend- country walks, a nice pub lunch, lots of photo-taking! I definitely need to escape London for a day, it does wonders to clear my head!
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..An American Meal: Spicy Corn Fritters =-.

16. juliette commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:21am

yay for the positive experience! wow- free classes?? I had to pay a small amount for my govt-required courses at the VHS, but it was a tiny amt. They must’ve changed the laws recently – how nice! I’m curious to hear about your VHS experience in a large city. My university town is relatively small and all our german classes were mostly full of Russian/African housewives who’d already been living here for years. I will say I met some REALLY colorful people in my classes, some of whom I became good friends with – the stories that people shared on how they came to Germany were always SOOO interesting! Have fun and enjoy the weekend!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: September and a Science Fair =-.

17. diana strinati baur commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:53am

I had exactly the same experience — a three year temporary Aufenthalts-und-Arbeitserlaubnis and then after three years I went back and got the unbefristigte (unlimited) Erlaubnis in my passport, which I still have today. I did mine in Ratzeburg in Schleswig Hostein and the second part in Hamburg and they were also very nice. The thing about German Burocracy is that it functions — well. It can be very tough to get a visa in Germany if you are coming from most countries and are not married to EU’s (that’s what you hear the nightmare stories about- Berlin is loaded with immigrant issues), but for people like us, from a country like the US, married to Germans, the process is really straightfoward. There is no more Auslanderamt in Hamburg — they have joined the Einwohneramt and Auslanderamt functions into one, and it’s just great. So easy. I got my permanent residency visa in about 3 minutes after my three year required waiting period.

Now I am a permanent resident of both Germany and Italy, which is great. But the process was ALOT more chaotic here in Italy, trust me. Germans know how to do bureaucracy. :)

We are booked up so for me it will be making breakfast. I am contemplating fresh Porcini (Steinpilze) omelettes with homemade German bread and mulled fruits and nuts since the weather will be cool.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Old Ladders =-.

18. diana strinati baur commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:55am

Interesting what you write about language. When I did it, back in the 90′s, there were no language requirements at all for getting the 3 year erlaubnis. That’s definitely changed.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Old Ladders =-.

19. patty commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:59am

How fun that fabric fair sounds! This weekend I am going to try to do the annual Shoreline clean up in the morning on Saturday, then there’s an event at the cafe nearby where they close the parking lot and cook lots of great food. On Sunday I am going to see the musical based on the Green Day album American Idiot. This may be my busiest weekend in years. Usually I would just say cleaning the house and renting a video…

20. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 10:32am

Good luck with everything – I’m sure it will go smoothly. And have fun this weekend. It sounds lovely. I need to stop by your other blog…I want to see some photos of these woods you keep talking about. I picture German forests being so much thicker and darker…all those fairy tales, I suppose! I can’t say as I have much planned. My husband is going elk hunting so I hope to curl up on the sofa with some girly movies after a day of cutting down sunflowers and pulling up weeds.

21. nina commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 10:38am

A fabric market sounds so exciting…we’ll be going to an anniversary party this weekend, it should be fabulous since all of my closest friends will be there :-)
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Chic , Dramatic + Fabulous Bridal Style =-.

22. decor8 commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:06pm

Diana – Yes they changed all that. And I say GOOD because in the states there is no language requirement and I tell ya, it’s not a good thing at all. :(

23. decor8 commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:10pm

Juliette I was wrong. I just talked to my husband who checked the language course website. It’s 1-Euro per hour and I need to take a 100 hour course so it’s 100-Euros total. But to me, this is VERY cheap since I checked the prices of language schools here and (gulp) they are well over 1,000-euros for the same course.

24. decor8 commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:12pm

Raina – Do some research on travel in Germany. This country is really, really beautiful. :)

25. liza commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:15pm

I’m glad it went well, Holly. Free language lessons – Wow. I’m running off to see old race cars at the Colorado Grand finish line. I hope to hike with my little one tomorrow, and his Grandparents come visit Sunday. Have a good weekend!
    .-= liza´s last blog ..Ingmar Bergman =-.

26. Georgianna Lane commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:32pm

Hi Holly! So very glad to hear your interview went well! I’ve sent you a longer direct message but I was just BURSTING to give you the biggest **THANK YOU** for the incredible surprise I received this morning on your Real Simple column!! I’m speechless, really! I hope you have a fabulous weekend – I loved every image from the market you went to last week, just devoured them. European markets have such flair and panache! We’re off to our State Fair this weekend – not something we normally attend but my husband has a photo shoot there, so it will be cotton candy and rides for us! Huge thanks again!
    .-= Georgianna Lane´s last blog ..Garden Decor =-.

27. diana strinati baur commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Holly, language school is where I met so many of my friends in Germany. It is always such a multi-kulti experience, as they say. I am really happy that I speak German. Even though I don’t live in Germany any more, we have 40% German and Swiss guests so having the language is so great, for them and for me.

I got a little pang of jealousy (and homesickness maybe?) at Lovely Sunflower’s planned Hamburg Weekend! Viel Spaß in der schoenen Hansestadt….

Happy Weekend everyone.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Gratitude Friday: Old Ladders =-.

28. juliette commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:41pm

oh yeah, my husband just told me it was the same price for us – but I had to take 300 hours!! I really wanted to take the university German classes for foreigners, but the govt wouldn’t subsidize those, only the VHS ones. My VHS was supposed to be a really good one in our region, but honestly, I was not impressed. It was fun, but I didn’t learn tons. I DID learn a lot in my required 30hr Orientierungs Kurs about how the German political system functions – which is helpful since the huge elections are later this month.

I also took 2 Uni classes on my own and got a LOT out of them. If FRA wasn’t an hour away I think we would’ve splurged on Goethe classes – they’re supposed to be incredible. Either way, I get along fine now and am doing free-reading in German – which is SO cool to be able to do! (but the books I’ve read keep turning out to be be translations from original English books, hehehe)

why am i still on here at this hr? ugh Hubby is taking forever at he video store…. =) have fun tomorrow at the Stoffe Markt!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: September and a Science Fair =-.

29. Celeste commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Good luck to you! :) Wishing you a great weekend.
    .-= Celeste´s last blog .. =-.

30. jenny commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Good luck with your interview! I have several girlfriends going thru the same thing here, but so that they can stay with their Kansas husbands here in the States! I enjoy your blog very much, I’m currently building a house on my own and you have offered much inspiration. So, this weekend I will be looking for a door set for my front door, a sink for the guest bath, & tile for the laundry room. All things that should have been decided ages ago!
    .-= jenny´s last blog ..sitting comfortably =-.

31. AndyMathis commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 12:56pm

Enjoy your interrogation. . . errrrr, I mean interview, Holly.

I am cleaning the dust off my poorly neglected paintbrushes and paint this weekend.
    .-= AndyMathis´s last blog ..The Japanese Judge awards a score of 9.75 =-.

32. Katherine commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:08pm

Well done on the interview! Glad to read it was a positive experience.

Tomorrow I am meeting a blogging friend from Sweden and then on Sunday my husband and I are going to a Slow Food Fair along the coast from our home in Edinburgh.

33. Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:08pm

Happy Friday and have a great weekend Holly.
    .-= Petergaye S. Kisielewicz/Yahgie´s last blog ..Turquoise Interiors =-.

34. Cheryl commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:09pm

good for you, Holly. I wiggled my nose for you! my husband’s nephew lives and works in Cologne, anywhere near you? He’s a photographer and has a small studio there.

35. Victoria Klein commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:12pm

Sounds like you have a delightful weekend plan. The weather is supposed to be good here in Connecticut, so my mum & I plan on going apple picking and possibly hiking this weekend (hubby has to work).

36. Anna commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:29pm

Congratulations on the outcome of your appointment Holly – guess you can really start feeling ‘settled’.

This weekend we’ve got my daughter’s 6th b’day party at a local arts and crafts studio that I’ve not been to before. It is a ‘cosy pets’ party where they make their own blanket for a basket and then a clay animal to go inside. I can’t wait – will need to try and stop getting over involved and taking over the kids creations…..perhaps they’ll let me make my own! The studio does lots of adult workshops to in various crafts so I’ll check it all out whilst I’m there.

On Sunday my friend is trying to persuade me to go to Bicester village – factory outlet place (which has a Cath Kidston seconds shop :o) just need to break it gently to my husband later tonight.
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..On impulsive decisions =-.

37. Carmella commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:37pm

Holly, enjoy your wonderful, full weekend! Blessings on your appointment, too. This weekend holds fun for me – an antiques fair, a concert in the park, a hike in the mountains with my favs, and then, some birthday treats!
    .-= Carmella´s last blog ..Painting the Sunshine =-.

38. Nina commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 2:22pm

Oh Holly, you’re so lucky! Germany sounds like such a wonderful place. Every day after reading your posts I turn to my honey and say “So when we move to Europe…can we go to Germany????” We’ll definitely travel there to see it, as you make it sound so heavenly. :) This weekend he and I are working on French, to practice before the trip to Paris we’re saving up for.
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..Drunken monkeys. =-.

39. Shell commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 2:52pm

I am sending good thoughts, prayers and rainbows your way for your interview to go well. Have a beautiful weekend, Holly
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Dreamthought # 19 =-.

40. trish commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 4:22pm

A fabric market sounds divine! I’ll be looking forward to the pictures you’ll have to post. I’ll probably be shoveling dirt this weekend–the backyard still needs work. At least it beats shoveling rocks!

best of luck with your immigration interview!
    .-= trish´s last blog ..slowly but surely =-.

41. Katherine aka. Urban Flea commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Good luck my dear! I’m sure you’ll pass with flying colors! Have a beautiful weekend!

xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)

42. Crystal @ Plush Palate commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 7:10pm

Best of luck on the interview Holly! I had to do the same thing when I lived in Italy. As if it weren’t already intimidating enough, but having to interview in a foreign language on top of that is an added stress :) I’m sure you’ll rock!

Have fun at the fabric ‘circus’ – that sounds utterly amazing!
    .-= Crystal @ Plush Palate´s last blog ..6 Things That Make Me Happy + 7 Interesting Things =-.

43. Jacqueline commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Dear Holly! I wish you all the luck to your immigration appointment!
    Will they interview you in german language? I’m just curious coz was informed that i need to take german lang classes if my fiance and i decide to settle down in Germany and have to pass their level one exam. I checked the prices for it here in Malaysia and it isnt’ cheap but my fiance did mention that it’s more xpensive in germany. So right now im just trying to seek a much information on the necessary documents and things i need to do when we register for marriage here in Malaysia and what needs to be done for it to be recognize in germany. Lots of work >_<

I wish i could join at the market…i would go nuts and want everthing i like. :) We have a long weekend here in Malaysia…4 days. :) i'm planning to work quite a bit, pretty much fill with list-making and crafting until my eyes hurt! And spend some time visiting family. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Sew with L.O.V.E =-.

44. Jacqueline commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:02pm

Dear Holly, good luck with your interview! Will they interview you in German Lang? I was told i had to take upr German lang and pass the level one exam if my fiance and i decide to settle in Germany. The course here in Malaysia isnt cheap but my fiance did mention it’s more xpensive in Germany. I do have a few of the learning German Lang books and find it a little difficult when it comes to pronoucation. lol My tounge just can’t seem to twist too well. I will need to gether alot more information about what requirements they need to recognize the marriage if we were to register here in Malaysia….lots to do. :)

I wish i could join you at the market! Fabrics, crafting and sewing goodies…i will go nuts! :) We have a long weekend here in Malaysia ~ 4 day! i’m planning to work quite a bit, pretty much fill with list-making and crafting until my eyes hurt! hehe and spend some time with family. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Sew with L.O.V.E =-.

45. monica from hola!design commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 9:35pm

good luck! think positive!!!
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Chalk Chalk =-.

46. Isabelle commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 1:24am

This morning early I go to the surgery where the nurse will give me my seasonal flu jab. I am then taking a top back to Marks and Spencers because it shrank on its first wash!

On the way back I shall buy some steak, kidney and suet to make the English classic steamed steak and kidney pudding. I shall pop in a pudding made from a wartime recipe which is lovely cold. It is made from breadcrumbs, carrot, potatoes, tablespoon flour and tablespoon jam! Sounds and when uncooked looks strange – tastes good and is called ‘Victory Pudding’.

Tomorrow we shall go for a walk up on the South Downs and explore some Iron Age remains.

47. happytiffany commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 2:34am

Thanks for the great reference post..
    and welcome to my site:http://www.pretty-tiffany.com

48. Victoria Zlotkowski commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 7:41am

Farmer’s market after breakfast, cooking goulash for tonight, taking us all for a walk before soccer practice….
    Tomorrow is my birthday – :D – and all take me to NYC for a special day!
    Thats the weekend!
    Yours sounds lovely too, enjoy the great time you are having living in Germany.
    And for Monday: You’ll make it, don’t worry, the Germans appreciate the effort of speaking their language, anyway, you are smart and charming and you have a goal, ja? Viel Glueck!
    Alles Liebe! Victoria
    .-= Victoria Zlotkowski´s last blog ..Weekend post: A tree =-.

49. Cheryl commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 9:00am

An Idea — what do you think about the following, Holly? (one of the perks to weekends is I get some free time to just ruminate . . .)

Have you thought about devoting blog-time/a focus on your blog to “styling” a room of one of your readers? I’ve seen sites like this that invite readers to post pictures of a room that has some problems and the reader is open to suggestions. What I see as a plus to this is that we all learn from how you solve design problems and we could apply those principles to our own spaces. The person who submitted or was chosen to be the focus for a given week or month would need to give you some sense of their likes/dislikes, what style he/she leans toward (vintage modern, contemporary, traditional, etc). You might suggest different products that would work in a space arrangement, etc.

I learn a lot from before/after shots but I learn even more when the designer uses a room as ‘a teaching moment’ and you are so gifted in this arena that we’d all be the richer for it–explaining why you arranged a tabletop a certain way, what guided that decision; how you combined patterns in a room, colors and the why behind that. So it would be a combination of transforming a space but teaching us how and why you approached the room in that particular way. I don’t see anyone doing that — a lot of do this, do that, you might like this, etc but not that thoughtful musing and insight that is you.

what do you think?

50. Brit commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 9:31am

Hallo Holly,
    ich hoffe, dass bei der Einwanderungsbehörde gestern alles zu Deinem Besten verlaufen ist. Ich kenne den bürokratischen ‘Zirkus’ von amerikanischen Freunden, die nach Frankreich einwandern wollten und auf so allerhand Schwierigkeiten gestossen sind. Ich hoffe, dass es für Dich besser läuft.
    In diesem Sinne ‘good luck’ !
    Brit

51. daisy janie commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 9:36am

Hope your appts went well for you! How exciting!

This weekend I am *finally* painting a new mirror frame I’ve had prepped since early summer. Wasn’t sure what color to paint it, but after the feedback I rec’d on a post about it, I’m ready to move forward with it!! Yay! The mirror will hang with art I’ve acquired over the past year. Here’s my blog post about this restyle. http://daisyjanie.typepad.com/daisyjanie/2009/09/living-room-design-restyle-opinions-please.html Still unsure about art frame selection, if you’d care to chime in. I’m thinking all white mainly b/c the room is dark with a tree-lined street and a long front porch.
    .-= daisy janie´s last blog ..making an effort | curley creations =-.

52. juliette commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 9:51am

I love Cheryl’s idea of a styling series! (mainly because I have a two-depth wall with a weird fireplace that stumps everybody!)

You could post the problem, call out for solutions and only offer your ideas after a few hours – just to help stir up discussion and create a forum where we can learn from each other. Might be kind of fun…
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: September and a Science Fair =-.

53. Pam commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 12:09pm

Your weekend sounds amazing,Holly!
    Well today I’m going to Philly with a couple of friends.
    We’re going to see Kurt Hansley latest work at The Art Star Gallery.
    also,excited for Retrospect! It’s one of the coolest thrift stores.

54. Macy commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 2:06pm

My, that textile bazaar sounds wonderful! Aaah I would want to go to one of those!!

Anyway, the first half of my weekend is over. Our class was canceled (yes, we have classes on Saturdays) and my classmates and I planned to attend the Manila International book fair. Lots of books at rock bottom prices! And there were so many people and so many books. Bliss. Then on Sunday is the All-Wagner concert. Yey.

Good luck with the interview! :))
    .-= Macy´s last blog ..hellosachiko: another let down. =-.

55. Travelingmama commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 5:52pm

I am THRILLED to see that your residency meeting went so well. We were just looking into the cost of language courses in CPH through Berlitz and for us as a couple we estimated it would be about $2000 a month. GULP!

I have been spending my weekend baking and bringing out the long sleeved clothes… just made a copy cat recipe for Thin Mints that are AMAZING!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..happy, happy, happy =-.

56. decor8 commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 3:52am

Hi Juliette/Cheryl: Thanks so much for suggesting a new column idea for my site. I really appreciate it! I know you both having been reading as long as I’ve been blogging, but I already had a decorating series like this and though it was nice, it consumed more time than I had to continue it. I doubt I will bring it back anytime soon, so sorry about that. :) I am already working on something related to styling though, so stay tuned!

57. Tammy commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 6:11am

Good Luck at the interview! The walk in the woods you mentioned sounds great and I would love to take my Lola to Pennypack Park this weekend, but instead my goal is to try and work in my Den of Creativity.

I recently had alot of on-line purchases come in so they need to be put away and of course need to work on another dog bed. THis one is for my brother’s Shiba Inu Mojo Roc.

I will be sure to check out the blog next week for your review of the books you mentioned!

58. juliette commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 6:27am

schade! but this just means more time/space for fresh new ideas!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: September and a Science Fair =-.

59. Eliana Tomas commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 7:09am

I’m gonna enjoy and get inspired by London Design Festival.
    Beautiful projects aroun town…
    .-= Eliana Tomas´s last blog ..London Design Festival – Blow Light by Tom Dixon. =-.

60. Cheryl commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 10:46am

look forward to your plan on “styling”!

61. Heidi Alamanda commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 2:50pm

I’m glad to hear that your interview went smoothly. Free of charge language school sounds really great.
    I’m an immigrant here in the US myself, and the bureaucracy process has been the most frustrating part.
    .-= Heidi Alamanda´s last blog ..What’s wrong with Blogger embedded comment? =-.

62. niki commented
    September 20th, 2009 at 3:02pm

Hi Holly,

All the very best of luck with your interview. Good luck speaking German, I have some of my best friends living in Germany but could never get to grips with the language

I just love the website with some fantastic features.

I’ll visit back later in the week when hopefully you will know everything went tickity boo.

63. Cassandra commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 5:24am

Hi Holly,

I noticed your comment about Andrew Banneker. He is such a super lovely person. He created a logo for us for free for a charitable campaign my husband and I created for a teenage homeless charity. He said yes and did it in one day and was nothing but delightful to deal with. How rare is that?

it’s here http://www.ahomebuiltonbooks.org.

gorgeous too
    .-= Cassandra´s last blog ..Thought of the week =-.

64. Karla D. commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 12:24pm

I hope your immigration interview went well! I know how it feels. I immigrated to the U.S. from Canada. I love Canada but my hubby is here in the U.S. so perhaps in a few years he’ll return the favor. lol.

I really enjoy your blog and notice that the focus is mainly on decorating. For everyone out there in America or Canada who is looking for great design at a low price, walmart has some goodies:

.-= Karla D.´s last blog ..WOW for Walmart Decor Under $100! =-.

65. Cristin commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 12:27pm

Hope you had a great weekend. Mine was celebrating my oldest daughter’s bday, going to soccer games and shopping!

xo,
    cristin
    .-= Cristin´s last blog ..Jennifer Jacobson Photography and How To Photograph Your Life Giveaway =-.

66. akanpo2009@yahoo.co.jp commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 1:01am

Thanks for the info. Very helpful !

67. pretty-tiffany commented
    September 29th, 2009 at 4:22am

68. decor8 commented
    September 29th, 2009 at 11:58am

Pretty – Tiffany: Yes, they interviewed me in German and it went great, I “passed” so to speak and now have temporary residency for the next year. Yay!!!