Color Inspiration

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

September 21, 2009

Hello Friends! It’s me, Leslie again with Color Me Pretty. Today I am inspired by Japanese stationery supplies and colors like peacock blue, chartreuse, golden yellow, creamy white and a little dark brown. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a brief trip to Japan a couple weeks ago and I wanted to share my inspirations with you. I spent hours, yes hours, in stationery stores all over Tokyo. I just could not get enough of the pens, papers, tapes and stamps. We all have our weaknesses and one of my big ones is Japanese stationery and craft supplies!

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock blue (a really dark turquoise) looks stunning in home decor, especially when paired with a lighter shade of turquoise. Add a little chartreuse or avocado to the mix and you have one of my favorite color combinations!

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

This time I also brought in a little golden yellow and some dark brown as Fall is settling in here. If it is Spring where you are, a lighter shade of yellow works well too. In grad school, I upholstered an old Scandinavian sofa that was given to me in a fabulous peacock blue velvet. It sounds kind of scandalous as I write this but it actually looked amazing against the white washed walls of my apartment! Today, my dear sofa is in storage but I still love turquoise accents around my home!

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

Peacock Blue, Chartreuse + Golden Yellow

I can only hope that one or some of these photos may inspire you to start a creative project for yourself. I love the month of September because to me it feels like the time for a fresh start. Time to do something new or to get back to things that have been on hold. It is nice to decide to stay home in the evenings and focus on what we want to create. Maybe it could be a journal that incorporates collage. How about an album of just inspiring photographs or of you at your happiest and most fulfilled moments instead of just the usual chronological one? Design files and small home improvement projects can be fun to tackle too. Whatever gets you moving and creating.

Thank you for your support of my column and I can’t wait to see you back here again soon! –Leslie Shewring

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

61 Comments

• Reply Shanon September 21, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Glad your trip was so much fun Leslie! =) My fave photo is the 3rd one down, the glass bottles. Love the dahlias and mums as well. I have some still blooming in my garden, they are purple and yellow and orange. That doesn’t really sound like an appealing combo, but maybe I’ll try for some shots… Hmmmm…. ; )
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..I *heart* Gourmet =-.

• Reply riikka September 21, 2009 at 3:04 pm

thank you for your lovely blog!
    .-= riikka´s last blog ..tapetin metsästys. =-.

• Reply Marianna Mills September 21, 2009 at 3:11 pm

So beautiful colours and items Leslie!!
    Love everything here!
    Thank you for the article!
    xo
    Marianna
    .-= Marianna Mills´s last blog ..My latest custom order on Etsy =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 21, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Absolutely gorgeous…..I am in awe, again….these colors are so very beautiful together. I would love to see that couch, it sounds divine. Now, are these fabrics you created Leslie? You are just so incredibly multi-talented. I can’t wait until your book comes out!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Just a little reminder…. =-.

• Reply visualingual September 21, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I love peacock blue, and the color combos you’ve pulled together are lovely!

• Reply Alluminare September 21, 2009 at 3:19 pm

What a pretty collection of colors, Leslie! We are impressed! Your post inspired this customized throw pillow: http://bit.ly/3rkmJp

• Reply Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 21, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Those colors are so September (fall transition). Beautiful!
    .-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..Renozilla =-.

• Reply Bea September 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Your photos are so inspiring! The third one is my favourite photo!
    .-= Bea´s last blog ..Oktoberfest =-.

• Reply lynn-anne September 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm

these are gorgeous, both colors and styling — those deep, saturated blues and greens are my absolute faves! thx for sharing, lynn-anne

• Reply Jen H September 21, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Sophisticated and gorgeous! I only wish I were this talented but at least I can appreciate it! The turquoises and greens and divine and the pop of yellow is so fresh! I even love those scissors!

• Reply vanessa joie September 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I seriously want to go to Japan JUST to stock of up stationary, pens, tape, stamps and all that goodness. Beautiful photos.
    .-= vanessa joie´s last blog ..Chloé for kids =-.

• Reply decor8 September 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Vanessa – Me too! My husband and I want to go to Tokyo next year, it’s all we talk about. Also Australia. I’d love to do both together, what a dream come true, two weeks in Australia and two weeks in Japan. DREAM.

• Reply mjb September 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I have a peacock blue wall where my fireplace is and I love it! I’ve used purple as an accent color (which I have to enjoy for now, since I’m not sure my husband will give me the same leeway the next time we decorate).
    .-= mjb´s last blog ..Bend the Rules Lap Quilt =-.

• Reply Flavia September 21, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I love this color combination. In fact, I’ve been working on incorporating it into my home decor this fall. Lovely!

• Reply liza September 21, 2009 at 4:26 pm

The floral and berry photos are stunning. I especially love the berries!
    .-= liza´s last blog ..Adoptabot on Etsy =-.

• Reply Becky September 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I love the colors and photos…..It makes me want to have a fun trip to japan just to shop!!!! Any of them have websites to order from?
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Fairy Room Lamp Shade =-.

• Reply Polly September 21, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I LOVE these photos! Especially the second one. It’s so inspiring. I could stare at it for hours… in fact I think I might print it and stick it on my wall so that I can do just that!
    xx
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..Tights =-.

• Reply Melanie September 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I love that second photo.
    Its like a little collage of my favorite colors!

• Reply Caitlin September 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Incredible!! I love this colour palette, it is so unique and inspiring! I am so jealous of all the amazing stores you must have gone to in Tokyo! All of these images are really beautiful (love the little heart flag stuck in the fruit! :)) and I also love your tips on decorating and creating!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..I Love this Look! =-.

• Reply Brandi September 21, 2009 at 6:04 pm

These photos are an absolute feast for the eyes. Blue just gets me every single time. I have to say, while sad about not being able to get my hands on such pretty stationary and tape, part of me is glad I don’t have any trips to Japan scheduled — I think I’d end up having an absolute field day in those stationary stores. How you ever restrained yourself is beyond me.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..A Home for My Recipes =-.

• Reply Simon September 21, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Beautiful items, I have been to japan and i still have my pen and designed notes from there.

• Reply Elicia September 21, 2009 at 6:55 pm

goodness, i love these colors! the photos are gorgeous. fabulously inspiring.

• Reply Jessica September 21, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Ah peacock blue. I am loving it. It is the building block of my whole front room which I am creating from scratch. Four white walls, a wooden floor, peacock blue and me.

The first and third images are making me drool.

Jess
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Polaroid SX-70 =-.

• Reply Victoria Klein September 21, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Blue, green, yellow, purple – all my favorite colors in one post! :) <3

• Reply Diane September 21, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I love the color combinations and your photos. The peacock blue is amazing. Your column is so inspiring!

• Reply Marith September 21, 2009 at 8:51 pm

So beautiful. All of those colors are so inspiring. I want all that tape! :)

• Reply Heidi September 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

What beautiful and inspiring photos! I absolutely love that color combination as well, it inspires me to get my apartment decorated! I think I should bookmark this exact post just to be able to look back at it for color inspiration!

• Reply Susan September 21, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Really lovely color combinations – I love peacock, golden yellow, and chartreuse especially! Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

xox,
    Susan
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..snug little kingdom =-.

• Reply Kellie September 21, 2009 at 9:35 pm

ooooooo….I love your photos! You give me such inspiration for soooo many things! Thank you for adding beautiful color to my inspiration board! :)
    .-= Kellie´s last blog ..Potato Harvest Time in Northern Maine!! =-.

• Reply pretty*pink*rat September 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Beautiful color scheme! I love the peacock blue, so dramatic and bright at the same time!
    .-= pretty*pink*rat´s last blog ..Etsy Monday: The Daily Pincushion =-.

• Reply Stephanie S September 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Can you get those fabrics inside the US?

• Reply Julie Cove September 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I love all your loot from Japan! Those coloured tapes in stacks, the lino cut stamps- makes me just want to play with them! The combination of colours is a very fresh take on fall. Thanx for the inspiration once again!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Sidney is soooo pretty right now! =-.

• Reply Laura September 22, 2009 at 12:09 am

Oh, how gorgeous. I love Japanese stationary, crafts, and especially craft books. Your images are stunning.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Roses =-.

• Reply tiffany September 22, 2009 at 1:07 am

Thank you for your sharing.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful !

• Reply anetteshus.com September 22, 2009 at 2:00 am

HI! Love the photos!! Beautiful colors!!

Anette:)
    xx

• Reply Coleccionando estrellas September 22, 2009 at 2:23 am

I will remind this post in the rainy days of the autumn…maybe I should start buying some materials to create my first creative project! and perhaps these images could be the inspiration…

• Reply caro September 22, 2009 at 3:31 am

Thank you for that really great inspiration. I was searching for an idea for my calender design 2010 and now I get it. I’m going to reactivate (can I say this in english?) my stamps and make a complete handmade one. Thank U ;)
    .-= caro´s last blog .."Handmade-Project" =-.

• Reply Lucy September 22, 2009 at 3:40 am

Hi!! Lovely colours, my fav photo is the fourth one down. It’s something about the teapot…

The whole blog is very inspiring and I love September too.

Lucy
    x
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..Chintz =-.

• Reply Tonka September 22, 2009 at 3:45 am

My favorite color combination. So inspiring!

• Reply juliette September 22, 2009 at 4:00 am

love this! My office is already this shade of yellow, and although I’m trying to keep most everything else white, I know I want a few accent colors and this is the perfect inspiration!

• Reply Sue September 22, 2009 at 4:57 am

Just beautiful and so inspiring, as always. I love how you feel about September being the time to start something new, I get the exact same feeling, funny!
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Sunshine Sequin Card =-.

• Reply Leslie September 22, 2009 at 5:45 am

Ahh lovely post. Colour combination is fab.

On a separate note, is there anywhere you would recommend in Japan in terms stationary stores? I’m off there in April next year and can’t wait, I am thinking though that there will be no shortage of interesting stores to look in when I am there and $$$$$ spending opportunities.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Neverending story print =-.

• Reply Deb@accessoryalamode September 22, 2009 at 5:54 am

What gorgeous eye candy! Thank you for sharing this. I just love the plethora of colors. I love all the different shades of blues, greens, yellows and white/creams. You have inspired me to do a room with these colors..now I have to find the room :O)

• Reply paperinstyle September 22, 2009 at 7:03 am

Never been to japan but I CAN IMAGINE!!!! beautiful pictures… beautiful blog.
    .-= paperinstyle´s last blog ..custom owl stationery. set of 10 =-.

• Reply Kathy Davis September 22, 2009 at 8:08 am

I am so inspired by your work! Love it!!!!
    .-= Kathy Davis´s last blog ..Scatter Joy Book Giveaway! =-.

• Reply nina September 22, 2009 at 8:23 am

Beautiful colors and photos…wow!
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Fab for Fall: Dusty Rose + Burgundy Bridal Style =-.

• Reply Caryn Lynn September 22, 2009 at 8:49 am

I love this color palette! You displayed it beautifully in your layouts and photos, truely inspirational.

• Reply Cindy September 22, 2009 at 8:56 am

These posts just keep getting better and better! I can hardly stand the goodness and inspiration. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Sole Mates – Day and Night =-.

• Reply Mrs. M September 22, 2009 at 8:59 am

another gorgeous edition Leslie!! the peacock blues with turquoise and avocado green are divine!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..gimme gimme: Sparkling Ink =-.

• Reply monica from hola!design September 22, 2009 at 9:23 am

I love japanese design, this is lovely, thank you for sharing.
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Letterhead Fonts: Rare and Unique =-.

• Reply jen September 22, 2009 at 9:40 am

Beautiful photos and my favorite colors of the moment – gold and turquoise. Where are the fabrics from (especially green geomentric and peacock nature patterns)? I’m re-upholstering my dining room chairs and these patterns would be so cute! Thanks!

• Reply Vicki Moore September 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

Leslie… Love Love this color combination and the fabric prints are gorgeous!! Great inspiration, thank you for sharing.

• Reply vicki (simply hue) September 22, 2009 at 11:55 am

Your photos are stunning, Leslie! I love the colors you chose…wow. I think this is my favorite “Color Me Pretty” post so far. xo
    .-= vicki (simply hue)´s last blog ..Warm it up or Cool it Down? =-.

• Reply ellie September 22, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Blue is my favourite colour and it is so amazing with dark brown and white!
    These pics are the best ever. Yes autumn is here, you used my favourite
    autumn fruit peaches! Love from Canada.

• Reply Justina Blakeney September 22, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for my morning color fix!
    Where are those adorable wooden number stamps from?
    Thanks!
    .-= Justina Blakeney´s last blog ..Just for the Kids =-.

• Reply leslie September 22, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much for the wonderful supportive comments!!!
    StephanieS and Jen -the fabrics I used in this post are “Tenugui” type cloths -small dish towel like pieces of fabric that you can buy in Japan for many uses. The company that makes many of these is Hamamonyo. However, I do not think they export to the USA -sorry.
    Leslie -will you be in Tokyo? If so here are three big ones to check out:
    -Loft in Shibuya area (ground floor is all stationary) with the best selection of mt colored tapes
    -Tokyu Hands (Shibuya area location in particular) has a couple floors dedicated to stationary and craft supplies
    -Itoya in the Ginza area is approx. eight or so floors all dedicated to stationary -there is a lot of import items but there is Japanese products as well. -I hope you enjoy your trip there!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty =-.

• Reply Amy S. September 22, 2009 at 11:49 pm

I love your posts, Leslie! They’re always creative and cheerful. Thanks!

• Reply Leslie September 23, 2009 at 5:39 am

Thanks for the tips Leslie…I certainly will be in Tokyo. Looks like I am going to have to make sure I have plenty of room left in my suitcase for stationary goodness. Exciting!!
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Neverending story print =-.

• Reply crt September 24, 2009 at 12:24 pm

sooo inspiring… which project to start first! hmmmm.

• Reply jennifer ramos September 25, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Where is the blue-ish/turquoise fabric from???
    It’s LOVELY!!!
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..Jennifer’s Closet & new site coming soon! =-.

• Reply Penny Patten September 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Great Colors!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Introducing some new Hens an a couple of Roosters =-.