Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends! It’s me, Leslie again with Color Me Pretty. Today I am inspired by Japanese stationery supplies and colors like peacock blue, chartreuse, golden yellow, creamy white and a little dark brown. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a brief trip to Japan a couple weeks ago and I wanted to share my inspirations with you. I spent hours, yes hours, in stationery stores all over Tokyo. I just could not get enough of the pens, papers, tapes and stamps. We all have our weaknesses and one of my big ones is Japanese stationery and craft supplies!

Color Me Pretty

Peacock blue (a really dark turquoise) looks stunning in home decor, especially when paired with a lighter shade of turquoise. Add a little chartreuse or avocado to the mix and you have one of my favorite color combinations!

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

This time I also brought in a little golden yellow and some dark brown as Fall is settling in here. If it is Spring where you are, a lighter shade of yellow works well too. In grad school, I upholstered an old Scandinavian sofa that was given to me in a fabulous peacock blue velvet. It sounds kind of scandalous as I write this but it actually looked amazing against the white washed walls of my apartment! Today, my dear sofa is in storage but I still love turquoise accents around my home!

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I can only hope that one or some of these photos may inspire you to start a creative project for yourself. I love the month of September because to me it feels like the time for a fresh start. Time to do something new or to get back to things that have been on hold. It is nice to decide to stay home in the evenings and focus on what we want to create. Maybe it could be a journal that incorporates collage. How about an album of just inspiring photographs or of you at your happiest and most fulfilled moments instead of just the usual chronological one? Design files and small home improvement projects can be fun to tackle too. Whatever gets you moving and creating.

Thank you for your support of my column and I can’t wait to see you back here again soon! -Leslie Shewring

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, inspiration on September 21, 2009

1. Shanon commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:04pm

Glad your trip was so much fun Leslie! =) My fave photo is the 3rd one down, the glass bottles. Love the dahlias and mums as well. I have some still blooming in my garden, they are purple and yellow and orange. That doesn’t really sound like an appealing combo, but maybe I’ll try for some shots… Hmmmm…. ; )
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..I *heart* Gourmet =-.

2. riikka commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:04pm

thank you for your lovely blog!
    .-= riikka´s last blog ..tapetin metsästys. =-.

3. Marianna Mills commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:11pm

So beautiful colours and items Leslie!!
    Love everything here!
    Thank you for the article!
    xo
    Marianna
    .-= Marianna Mills´s last blog ..My latest custom order on Etsy =-.

4. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:12pm

Absolutely gorgeous…..I am in awe, again….these colors are so very beautiful together. I would love to see that couch, it sounds divine. Now, are these fabrics you created Leslie? You are just so incredibly multi-talented. I can’t wait until your book comes out!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Just a little reminder…. =-.

5. visualingual commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:15pm

I love peacock blue, and the color combos you’ve pulled together are lovely!

6. Alluminare commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:19pm

What a pretty collection of colors, Leslie! We are impressed! Your post inspired this customized throw pillow: http://bit.ly/3rkmJp

7. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:36pm

Those colors are so September (fall transition). Beautiful!
    .-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..Renozilla =-.

8. Bea commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:54pm

Your photos are so inspiring! The third one is my favourite photo!
    .-= Bea´s last blog ..Oktoberfest =-.

9. lynn-anne commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:56pm

these are gorgeous, both colors and styling — those deep, saturated blues and greens are my absolute faves! thx for sharing, lynn-anne

10. Jen H commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 3:58pm

Sophisticated and gorgeous! I only wish I were this talented but at least I can appreciate it! The turquoises and greens and divine and the pop of yellow is so fresh! I even love those scissors!

11. vanessa joie commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:04pm

I seriously want to go to Japan JUST to stock of up stationary, pens, tape, stamps and all that goodness. Beautiful photos.
    .-= vanessa joie´s last blog ..Chloé for kids =-.

12. mjb commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:04pm

I have a peacock blue wall where my fireplace is and I love it! I’ve used purple as an accent color (which I have to enjoy for now, since I’m not sure my husband will give me the same leeway the next time we decorate).
    .-= mjb´s last blog ..Bend the Rules Lap Quilt =-.

13. decor8 commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:08pm

Vanessa – Me too! My husband and I want to go to Tokyo next year, it’s all we talk about. Also Australia. I’d love to do both together, what a dream come true, two weeks in Australia and two weeks in Japan. DREAM.

14. Flavia commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:18pm

I love this color combination. In fact, I’ve been working on incorporating it into my home decor this fall. Lovely!

15. liza commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:26pm

The floral and berry photos are stunning. I especially love the berries!
    .-= liza´s last blog ..Adoptabot on Etsy =-.

16. Becky commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:43pm

I love the colors and photos…..It makes me want to have a fun trip to japan just to shop!!!! Any of them have websites to order from?
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Fairy Room Lamp Shade =-.

17. Polly commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 4:47pm

I LOVE these photos! Especially the second one. It’s so inspiring. I could stare at it for hours… in fact I think I might print it and stick it on my wall so that I can do just that!
    xx
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..Tights =-.

18. Melanie commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 5:00pm

I love that second photo.
    Its like a little collage of my favorite colors!

19. Caitlin commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 5:12pm

Incredible!! I love this colour palette, it is so unique and inspiring! I am so jealous of all the amazing stores you must have gone to in Tokyo! All of these images are really beautiful (love the little heart flag stuck in the fruit! :)) and I also love your tips on decorating and creating!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..I Love this Look! =-.

20. Brandi commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 6:04pm

These photos are an absolute feast for the eyes. Blue just gets me every single time. I have to say, while sad about not being able to get my hands on such pretty stationary and tape, part of me is glad I don’t have any trips to Japan scheduled — I think I’d end up having an absolute field day in those stationary stores. How you ever restrained yourself is beyond me.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..A Home for My Recipes =-.

21. Simon commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 6:37pm

Beautiful items, I have been to japan and i still have my pen and designed notes from there.

22. Elicia commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 6:55pm

goodness, i love these colors! the photos are gorgeous. fabulously inspiring.

23. Jessica commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 7:26pm

Ah peacock blue. I am loving it. It is the building block of my whole front room which I am creating from scratch. Four white walls, a wooden floor, peacock blue and me.

The first and third images are making me drool.

Jess
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Polaroid SX-70 =-.

24. Victoria Klein commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm

Blue, green, yellow, purple – all my favorite colors in one post! :) <3

25. Diane commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 8:41pm

I love the color combinations and your photos. The peacock blue is amazing. Your column is so inspiring!

26. Marith commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 8:51pm

So beautiful. All of those colors are so inspiring. I want all that tape! :)

27. Heidi commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 8:59pm

What beautiful and inspiring photos! I absolutely love that color combination as well, it inspires me to get my apartment decorated! I think I should bookmark this exact post just to be able to look back at it for color inspiration!

28. Susan commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 9:19pm

Really lovely color combinations – I love peacock, golden yellow, and chartreuse especially! Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

xox,
    Susan
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..snug little kingdom =-.

29. Kellie commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 9:35pm

ooooooo….I love your photos! You give me such inspiration for soooo many things! Thank you for adding beautiful color to my inspiration board! :)
    .-= Kellie´s last blog ..Potato Harvest Time in Northern Maine!! =-.

30. pretty*pink*rat commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 10:30pm

Beautiful color scheme! I love the peacock blue, so dramatic and bright at the same time!
    .-= pretty*pink*rat´s last blog ..Etsy Monday: The Daily Pincushion =-.

31. Stephanie S commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 10:47pm

Can you get those fabrics inside the US?

32. Julie Cove commented
    September 21st, 2009 at 10:49pm

I love all your loot from Japan! Those coloured tapes in stacks, the lino cut stamps- makes me just want to play with them! The combination of colours is a very fresh take on fall. Thanx for the inspiration once again!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Sidney is soooo pretty right now! =-.

33. Laura commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 12:09am

Oh, how gorgeous. I love Japanese stationary, crafts, and especially craft books. Your images are stunning.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Roses =-.

34. tiffany commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 1:07am

Thank you for your sharing.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful !

35. anetteshus.com commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 2:00am

HI! Love the photos!! Beautiful colors!!

Anette:)
    xx

36. Coleccionando estrellas commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 2:23am

I will remind this post in the rainy days of the autumn…maybe I should start buying some materials to create my first creative project! and perhaps these images could be the inspiration…

37. caro commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 3:31am

Thank you for that really great inspiration. I was searching for an idea for my calender design 2010 and now I get it. I’m going to reactivate (can I say this in english?) my stamps and make a complete handmade one. Thank U ;)
    .-= caro´s last blog .."Handmade-Project" =-.

38. Lucy commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 3:40am

Hi!! Lovely colours, my fav photo is the fourth one down. It’s something about the teapot…

The whole blog is very inspiring and I love September too.

Lucy
    x
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..Chintz =-.

39. Tonka commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 3:45am

My favorite color combination. So inspiring!

40. juliette commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 4:00am

love this! My office is already this shade of yellow, and although I’m trying to keep most everything else white, I know I want a few accent colors and this is the perfect inspiration!

41. Sue commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 4:57am

Just beautiful and so inspiring, as always. I love how you feel about September being the time to start something new, I get the exact same feeling, funny!
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Sunshine Sequin Card =-.

42. Leslie commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 5:45am

Ahh lovely post. Colour combination is fab.

On a separate note, is there anywhere you would recommend in Japan in terms stationary stores? I’m off there in April next year and can’t wait, I am thinking though that there will be no shortage of interesting stores to look in when I am there and $$$$$ spending opportunities.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Neverending story print =-.

43. Deb@accessoryalamode commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 5:54am

What gorgeous eye candy! Thank you for sharing this. I just love the plethora of colors. I love all the different shades of blues, greens, yellows and white/creams. You have inspired me to do a room with these colors..now I have to find the room :O)

44. paperinstyle commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 7:03am

Never been to japan but I CAN IMAGINE!!!! beautiful pictures… beautiful blog.
    .-= paperinstyle´s last blog ..custom owl stationery. set of 10 =-.

45. Kathy Davis commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 8:08am

I am so inspired by your work! Love it!!!!
    .-= Kathy Davis´s last blog ..Scatter Joy Book Giveaway! =-.

46. nina commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 8:23am

Beautiful colors and photos…wow!
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Fab for Fall: Dusty Rose + Burgundy Bridal Style =-.

47. Caryn Lynn commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 8:49am

I love this color palette! You displayed it beautifully in your layouts and photos, truely inspirational.

48. Cindy commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 8:56am

These posts just keep getting better and better! I can hardly stand the goodness and inspiration. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Sole Mates – Day and Night =-.

49. Mrs. M commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 8:59am

another gorgeous edition Leslie!! the peacock blues with turquoise and avocado green are divine!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..gimme gimme: Sparkling Ink =-.

50. monica from hola!design commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 9:23am

I love japanese design, this is lovely, thank you for sharing.
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Letterhead Fonts: Rare and Unique =-.

51. jen commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 9:40am

Beautiful photos and my favorite colors of the moment – gold and turquoise. Where are the fabrics from (especially green geomentric and peacock nature patterns)? I’m re-upholstering my dining room chairs and these patterns would be so cute! Thanks!

52. Vicki Moore commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 11:27am

Leslie… Love Love this color combination and the fabric prints are gorgeous!! Great inspiration, thank you for sharing.

53. vicki (simply hue) commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 11:55am

Your photos are stunning, Leslie! I love the colors you chose…wow. I think this is my favorite “Color Me Pretty” post so far. xo
    .-= vicki (simply hue)´s last blog ..Warm it up or Cool it Down? =-.

54. ellie commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 1:21pm

Blue is my favourite colour and it is so amazing with dark brown and white!
    These pics are the best ever. Yes autumn is here, you used my favourite
    autumn fruit peaches! Love from Canada.

55. Justina Blakeney commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 1:36pm

Thanks for my morning color fix!
    Where are those adorable wooden number stamps from?
    Thanks!
    .-= Justina Blakeney´s last blog ..Just for the Kids =-.

56. leslie commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 2:32pm

Thank you so much for the wonderful supportive comments!!!
    StephanieS and Jen -the fabrics I used in this post are “Tenugui” type cloths -small dish towel like pieces of fabric that you can buy in Japan for many uses. The company that makes many of these is Hamamonyo. However, I do not think they export to the USA -sorry.
    Leslie -will you be in Tokyo? If so here are three big ones to check out:
    -Loft in Shibuya area (ground floor is all stationary) with the best selection of mt colored tapes
    -Tokyu Hands (Shibuya area location in particular) has a couple floors dedicated to stationary and craft supplies
    -Itoya in the Ginza area is approx. eight or so floors all dedicated to stationary -there is a lot of import items but there is Japanese products as well. -I hope you enjoy your trip there!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty =-.

57. Amy S. commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 11:49pm

I love your posts, Leslie! They’re always creative and cheerful. Thanks!

58. Leslie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:39am

Thanks for the tips Leslie…I certainly will be in Tokyo. Looks like I am going to have to make sure I have plenty of room left in my suitcase for stationary goodness. Exciting!!
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Neverending story print =-.

59. crt commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 12:24pm

sooo inspiring… which project to start first! hmmmm.

60. jennifer ramos commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Where is the blue-ish/turquoise fabric from???
    It’s LOVELY!!!
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..Jennifer’s Closet & new site coming soon! =-.

61. Penny Patten commented
    September 27th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Great Colors!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Introducing some new Hens an a couple of Roosters =-.