Fabric Market Fun

I promised a little glimpse of the fabric market that I attended in my new city last Saturday, the same day that I also hit the flea market just around the corner and scored a new dresser and a doily glass platter. I had such a great time and found some beautiful fabrics and notions, but most importantly, I found a ton of new brands and interesting ideas and inspiration… and noticed that Germans are big on iron on decals! I found so many deer, mushrooms, you name it — all silhouette style in funky patterns and colors meant to iron on to skirts and bags, etc. And I spotted a vendor who sold all of the fabrics from the Tone Finnager, Tildas Hus line. Really sweet stuff! This market catered to both the fashion and craft crowd, so you found little old ladies shopping next to the girls that you know make most of what they have on.

Hannover Fabric Market

The market visits here 4 times each year, it will return again November 7th. It tours all around the country, the organizer, Stoffmarkt Holland, is from Holland and so a bunch of the vendors are Dutch and then of course, you have several German online shops selling there as well. I still haven’t spotted any Amy Butler or Heather Bailey fabrics, nothing familiar to me really — but I found so many great ones that were completely new that I didn’t walk away disappointed or empty handed! It was also very hard to not walk away feeling inspired.

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

And well… I guess I have to say a little something negative about this market. Nothing is vintage! Boo! I wish so badly that some stylish new vendor would join the crew and sell vintage textiles, I would love nothing more! And they reallllly needed an Indian fabric dealer. And a Japanese vendor with fabrics from Japan. THEN this would have been the perfect event. But I still loved it, but you know, I’m picky and always thinking of ways to improve everything I see… I’m sure you’re the same way! Oh and I would have died and gone to heaven if they had a crafts book dealer, oh my! But they did sell a few books and such here and there, but still…

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Hannover Fabric Market

Please excuse my photographs, they were not taken with the greatest care or concentration. The market was nuts, at least at the booths where I wanted to take close ups of the fabric, so my arms were constantly being knocked and my bag was getting bumped – so hard to keep a still photo. I was also the ONLY one there with a camera so I had to be discreet, I didn’t want to have to explain to everyone what I was doing photographing their booths. :) But no one seemed to care and so in the end it all worked out. But man, it’s so uncomfortable playing journalist sometimes, especially when I’m not fluently able to explain myself! I hope the photographs do this lovely market justice. It was very large, I’d say 100+ vendors maybe? Definitely worth attending one if you’re ever visiting Germany — just look on the stoffmarkt website to see the schedule and try to fit one in to your vacation!

Here is a glimpse of some of my loot:

Loot

Fabric Market Loot

Loot

Loot

Loot

Fabric Market Finds

Fabric Market Loot

Do they even have these markets in the states? Or in your country? I don’t ever remember seeing one over there and I lived in the south and New England and never came across anything like it. Maybe this is just a European thing. Could be a good business idea, huh? I think someone over there should start a traveling fabric market! :)

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in events + markets, textiles on September 23, 2009

1. Turquoise commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:08am

Great pics! Love the colors and patterns! WHAT A SCORE!!

2. leslie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:10am

Holly your photos are great -you have sold me on it -I wish I was there!!! I love seeing your finds, the fabrics are so sweet!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty =-.

3. jax commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:17am

how fun!! sounds like a great job for you Holly – you could be the “stylish new vendor would join the crew and sell vintage textiles” ;-)
    .-= jax´s last blog ..Yep! =-.

4. lesley commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:19am

wow, i’m in heaven looking at those fabrics! love your choices, too. i wish i could go to one. someone should start one over here!
    .-= lesley´s last blog ..baby gift sets =-.

5. Kristen commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:19am

Why do we not have something like this in New York??? Seriously, why don’t we? We have all the resources for this right at our disposal! Sigh …

6. Juliet commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:20am

Wow. What an extraordinary event! Looking through your photos at all those vendors and their gorgeous wares gave me the same feeling I got the first time I entered Mokuba (amazing selection of ribbon, trim, lace, etc.) in the garment district of NYC. Heart pounding, imagination racing, where to start, want to touch everything…

You have created a lovely little lifestyle. Congratulations.
    .-= Juliet´s last blog ..Ready for Lounging =-.

7. Sachiko Lamb (Macy) commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:36am

Aaaah. Loves! Wish we had those around here.
    .-= Sachiko Lamb (Macy)´s last blog ..hellosachiko: was murdered at Phil Poetry. no, I did not die on my own accord. =-.

8. laura trevey commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:36am

So Fun!!!
    So many bright colors… Beautiful patterns… and It looked like it was a gorgeous day!

xo Laura
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Thank You Cards, for your Bridesmaids, Set of 10 =-.

9. Amy commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:36am

Wow – what gorgeous fabrics! I would feel like a kid in a candy store there – they would need to drag me away!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Stop it already! =-.

10. Jessica commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am

Please excuse the photographs?! You’re silly — your photos were wonderful! My head would spin at this market but happily!

Jess
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Peacock Blue from A Creative Mint =-.

11. City Chic - Jamie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:39am

Wow! Looks amazing! Yes, someone please start one of these in the US :) Someday when I make it over there, I will have to plan my trip around this event. Lovely loot you picked up!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Puppy Love =-.

12. Kelly commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:40am

Beautiful selections, Holly! I agree – these photos make me feel like I was there. And I can tell I had a really, really good time. Thanks for bringing us along!
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Letters from the Rubble =-.

13. Claire Hurd Design commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:42am

Wow – that fabric market looks fantastic! I shall have to research whether we have such a thing in the UK. I am always in need of new and inspiring fabrics for my design work.

My ‘Not on the Highstreet’ Shop
    My Folksy Shop
    My Facebook Page

14. Victoria Klein commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:44am

I know they certainly have fabric markets in the US, but I’ve never heard of a traveling one. What a nifty place!

15. sweet fine day/Jenna commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:54am

Look at all those colors! Love the ribbons and the buttons and spools of thread. Looks like you are having the time of your life, Holly. Happy for you.
    .-= sweet fine day/Jenna´s last blog ..pork belly and kabocha stew =-.

16. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:54am

Hi Jenna – No party is a party without W&S though. :( Thorsten asked about you and Mark the other day. I can tell he’s already jonesin’…

17. B commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:57am

I am dying with jealousy right now. I know it’s ugly, but I would die for one of these in Chicago!
    .-= B´s last blog ..Stopped in My Tracks by All the Pretty =-.

18. Justina Blakeney commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:59am

Wow– das ist wunderschon! you’re right though…. shame about the lack of vintage textiles and notions, especially since in my experience, Germany has some of the best vintage/antique goods in all of Europe.
    .-= Justina Blakeney´s last blog ..Just for Me: New Work! =-.

19. Katie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:07pm

I’m in LOVE with the pink & white fabric with the spoke wheels/dots design. Any idea of the maker for this one?

Thanks for sharing your photos – I’d have loved to attend.

20. claire commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:10pm

Oh my — this is heaven! You are one lucky girl =)
    .-= claire´s last blog ..Wrist-y Business =-.

21. michelle commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:24pm

Look at all of those trims – Lace, rick rack, pom poms, oh my!
    Your photos are beautiful and I’m salivating over your loot.
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..Pantone Color Combos: Reader Participation =-.

22. Marianne commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:29pm

Wow, that is a great market! I live in the Netherlands, but I’ve never been to one of those fabric markets.
    Tanya Whelan and Amy Butler are not that familiar names over here, although they are getting there (especially Amy Butler). There are some online shops over here who sell their fabrics. Also on the auction site http://www.marktplaats.nl ( I gave you the address on Haus Maus) you can find their fabric. If you are interested, you can always ask if they are willing to send the fabric to Germany.
    .-= Marianne´s last blog ..{Testing, testing…..} =-.

23. char commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:44pm

Oh such a great idea…
    I think people would go NUTTY over here in Canada for one.
    Your photos are fabulous…I can imagine it was a little crazy though.
    Thanks for sharing your purchases and your awesome day out.
    Char
    .-= char´s last blog ..What’s in YOUR bag? =-.

24. lisa h. commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:47pm

Goodness! I’m going through a bit of a fabric acquisition phase at the moment – this looks like heaven. A heaven devoid of vintage and Japanese fabrics, but heaven nonetheless!

There really isn’t anything like this in the States. We don’t have this sort of market culture here. Pity.
    .-= lisa h.´s last blog ..Blue, Red and White =-.

25. Marianne commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:50pm

It’s me again. If found a Dutch site for Stoffenmarkt Holland http://www.stoffenspektakel.nl/home AND there is a markt nearby on October 3th. Thanks for the tip.
    .-= Marianne´s last blog ..{Testing, testing…..} =-.

26. Katie @ Making This Home commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:53pm

Thank you for including a link to their schedule and the name of the market, Holly. It certainly helps my envy. :)
    Katie
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..Moldy Smelling Washing Machine? =-.

27. Becky commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:56pm

Simply WOW!

28. Frugal Bon Vivant commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 12:57pm

I want a fabric market in Portland! I’m extremely jealous!
    .-= Frugal Bon Vivant´s last blog ..Free Movie Screening: Whip It =-.

29. { kattyface } commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:00pm

america is so lame.

30. Fiona commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:22pm

Great photos! I love the happy and pretty colours!

31. patricia commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:32pm

Unfortunally here in Brazil i havent seen anything alike. But for sure i would love to see one over here. And i think yours observations about other suppliers is perfect.

About your photos, come on! Please they are so inspiring and beautiful. :-)

Love your blog.

Patricia

32. Brittanie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:34pm

That is incredible! I almost cried when I remembered you lived in Germany. I would love it if someone started something like that in Wash. D.C.!
    .-= Brittanie´s last blog ..Awkward Wall =-.

33. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:46pm

Beautiful fabrics! the pictures capture the vibe of the market very well!
    Here in Belgium that I’m aware we don’t have this kind of Fabric Market.
    Regarding vintage fabrics you can still find some samples in some Flea Markets like the one Waterloo in Belgium.

This specific fabric market only goes around Germany ?
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Lets jump 2!! =-.

34. Nuit commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:54pm

wow… loves it!!! I really do. it all looks like SO MUCH fun!!!! but indian and vintage are my fave types of fabric so I sure can relate to yor comment… anyway the market looks fab and I do love your purchases!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Designer Profile: Stephen Saint Onge =-.

35. Petra :-) commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:58pm

*hah* looks like you bought the same silver sparkling linen like me ;-) ;-)

36. Amanda commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:07pm

All of those colors are so pretty! I love the fabric over the pergola at the top too, that’s a great idea. It’s so fun to see all of the trim and embellishments- wish I had ideas for using all of them!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Thunder-Bird =-.

37. lydia commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:08pm

oh what eye candy! the colors are so beautiful and i LOVE that little elephant on the fabric. sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

38. juliette commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:14pm

great overview – so excited to go myself!! can’t wait!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Vintage 1978 Sewing Guide and Projects =-.

39. celia commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:19pm

Lovely market!
    The fabrics and notions were amazing!!!
    Had a wonderful time, eh?? lol…
    .-= celia´s last blog ..Long post! =-.

40. Olivia commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:28pm

I live smack in the middle of Canada and if there were such a thing as a fabric market (which I have never heard of) I’m certain it wouldn’t be in my city. It looks amazing!

41. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:28pm

Yes Petra I did, I loveeeeeeed it ever since I saw Ingrid’s handbag. I want to make something with it now too!!!!

42. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:29pm

Juana – Yes this specific one. But you may be able to find them in Holland too – I’m sure, and you’re closer to Holland than Germany right?

43. Beata commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:30pm

Amazing! Thanks for sharing — I think this would be my dream market… I wonder, how was everything priced by North American standards…reasonable?!… I’d love to make a venue like this one a part of a trip to Europe…
    .-= Beata´s last blog ..furry and woolly… =-.

44. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:31pm

kattyface – ha ha you are funny. I think there are so many great things in america too though — but everything always looks better on the outside right?

45. Julien Denoyer commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:31pm

That looks so amazing!!! I would love to have this kind of event here in Madrid. Unfortunatly, as far as I know Spain isn’t big on craft :-(
    I’m buying my first sewing machines in the next week or two and will get into it right away. I’ve got a few projects up my sleeves. Ohhhh seriously I’m so jealous of those fabrics!!!
    .-= Julien Denoyer´s last blog ..Handmade lamps from reclaimed materials =-.

46. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:36pm

Beata – it depends. I mean some fabrics were 18- Euros per meter which is high to me, but a meter is more than a yard so it’s okay I guess if you really want the fabric bad enough. :)
    And others were 3- Euros per meter, 5- Euros, and so on. The ones I purchased were cheap, the white linen was 3 Euros for a meter, the gray shiny linen was 3 Euros, the others were 10 large pieces for 40- Euros which is expensive I think, that’s 4- Euros per piece… and then the butterfly was the last bit on the bolt so I got a little over 1 meter for the same price as a meter, which I think was 6- Euros maybe? Of course, the UD Dollar is HORRIBLE right now, so everything to me feels VERY expensive but here I think it is pretty normal since they have a very strong Euro.

47. Jessie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:39pm

i am SO unbelievably jealous i could cry!!!

i may have to plan a sneaky holiday for me and my boyfriend around the next market, or at least disguise it as a holiday to him! :)
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Etsy Top Picks Tuesday: 22/09/09 =-.

48. Marit Irene Jektvik commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:41pm

Oh, My God!!!!!!

49. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:45pm

My mom would have been in heaven.
    .-= Victoria Bennett Beyer´s last blog ..Cow Skull =-.

50. Chloe Cumbow commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:00pm

Holly, everybody, to get all this selection in one place including the Japenese & African & Indian etc – go to any large quilt show in your area.
    Aside from seeing the quilts, which shouldn’t be too painful (!) there are usually aisles of vendors with everything you’ve shown here & more.

51. Kara commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:03pm

Wow, that looks like too much fun! All the fabrics and sunshine!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..cherry heirloom tomatoes =-.

52. diana strinati baur commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:18pm

Hi, Holly. These photos are great! Well done. In Italy, our regular weekly markets have stands full of fabrics, ribbons, thread, yarn ( really great yarn from Italian merino producers), curtains and lots of housewares. You have motivated me to get my patootie down there and take some photos. Seriously, il mercato in Italy is the center of LIFE itself, even more so than in Germany, which is hard to believe.

I am happy you are enjoying Germany so much, and what I really love and truly appreciate is that you are extracting what is GOOD in Germany! This is something that few do, and there really is so much good, isn’t there. Please don’t forget that annual fabric sale in Hamburg in January at Bornhold — I will get you all the information if you want it. It is WORTH a trip to HH for the sale, and the sale is only for one week every year. The biggest danger is getting knocked out by an over zealous Hamburger with a big bolt of 90% reduced Italian silk in her arms! :)

Liebe Gruesse und mach einfach weiter so….
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Citrus Glazed Polenta Cake… =-.

53. Mary Poppins commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:19pm

Wow wow wow Wow, I would have loved to have been there, I would have been like a little girl in a candy shop ;)

Lucky, lucky you, I love the pink star I saw and the pom pom trim, and you have chosen some adorable pretty fabric. Ohooo yes I would have loved some vintage there too.

X

54. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:25pm

Diana – Exactly! But I think there is good everywhere and how can anyone come to Germany and not like it is obviously a matter of taste or something or perhaps where they are living here because I love it!!! I find so much to see and do and hey, I have countries all around me if I want for more… how can anyone not enjoy this??

55. Gina commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:31pm

Absolute heaven! I wish we had a fabric market like that in the States. I wonder what it would take to get it going?… might be a future Perfect Dressipe project. Thanks for sharing!

56. Cerri commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:44pm

This looks like a dream event to me!
    I wondered if you have any idea if you are able to purchase Tone Finnanger fabric in the US? I have searched and not had much luck so far.

57. Cristin commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:46pm

Oh my good lord I’ve died and gone to fabric heaven!!! You’re sooo lucky to have gotten to go to this lovely market! I’ve NEVER seen or heard of such a thing around here (the midwest) but I would find a way to go, if it existed!
    LOVE your new fabric choices – I’m so jealous!!!
    .-= Cristin´s last blog ..Sneak Peek =-.

58. Heather commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:59pm

It looks wonderful! How amazing to have all those different vendors on hand and to choose from all those gorgeous patterns and trims!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Progress? =-.

59. Karen commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:24pm

OMG would you look at that place?? I’m heading out on a boat, train, plane right now. Whatever it takes, I so have to go!
    Your buys are scrumptious. Can you tell me what the butterfly fabric is? And also the dotty red one in your first pick on the left?

60. Lina commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:25pm

Ohhh woow!
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    Luckily i live in Germany and i’ll be able to visit the market in Oberhausen at the end of October :)
    If you hadn’t shared this i’d never have known that this markets exist in Germany, too!
    I’ve been on this http://www.stoffenspektakel.nl/ market in kerkrade in the netherlands, have you been there? it was awesome, too.

Liebe Grüße und danke nochmal :)
    .-= Lina´s last blog .. =-.

61. Cindy commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:31pm

wow, the market looks like so much fun! i don’t think there is anything like this in Chicago. :(
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Eating our way around LA (Part I) =-.

62. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:45pm

Hi everyone – I’m so thrilled to see that you all love this charming fabric market!

For those who have asked, I only have the names to some of the fabrics in my loot — not all have a edge with the brand on it. Here are the ones that do:

Green with elephants: Karen Neuburger 2008 website: http://www.karenneuburger.com
    Pink “fish scales” pattern: Kari Pearson “Signature Collection” 2005 exclusively for Quilting Treasures by Cranston, Printed in the USA.

The trims are from Maileg in Denmark, you find Maileg here in many stores… http://www.maileg.dk

I will go back to the market when it returns in November and I’ll try to find the butterflies and some of the others and see who makes them….

63. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:56pm

Ceri – In the US? Hmmmm. I know this shop carries it in Australia…

And in the UK

But in the US… Not sure!

64. Ange commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:27pm

I love fabric, just to have them around, not that I’m planning to sew or anything. I absolutely love fabric sold in this manner. I’ve been lamenting how difficult it is to buy fabric here in Canada. I’m totally envious of you. Good choice of fabric you’ve got there!
    .-= Ange´s last blog ..Beaded Lady Tealight Holder =-.

65. Jenny commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:27pm

Oh lovely. Swoon! I so wish they had this in the states. I would agree that I would have been lovely to have vintage or indian fabric there.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Candid =-.

66. Nicole RJ commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:35pm

Very serious fabric market envy going on here!
    .-= Nicole RJ´s last blog ..From Country to Contemporary: the Livingroom =-.

67. Barbara Finwall commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:42pm

Hi Holly, I noticed that you’re interested old linens. My sister and I have collected vintage linens for years and now we’re trying to downsize and we’re selling them on etsy. It’s taking a lot of time to photograph and list them so they’re not all there yet, but you might be interested. We’ll keep adding things every day. We love decor8 and haus maus. My blog is banardesigns.blogspot.com

68. Travelingmama commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:43pm

Holly, I’m pretty sure I would need a sedative prior to going! Hahaha!!! It would be so hard to stay FOCUSED!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..count your {blessings} =-.

69. Anna commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 6:36pm

Those fabrics are gorgeous. I would go insane trying to make a choice, but I love what you got. And I agree with you on the vintage. That’s too bad.

70. Sprout commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 6:39pm

I hoard fabric. I covet fabric. I buy it on vacation. A fabric market any where near me would be bad, bad, bad!
    .-= Sprout´s last blog ..Red and Purple Wedding Part 2 – The Chuppah =-.

71. Leah commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 6:47pm

We have craft fairs here, but that one looks pretty amazing! If I’m ever in Germany…
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..New Earrings in the Shop =-.

72. coucoumadame commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 8:44pm

just stunning! true meaning of eye candy! :) thank you for sharing. i lived in Cologne for 4 years and they never visited me there ;(! i went to practically every flohmarkt in the city, but never a stoffmarkt! i will be in cologne for a month in the winter…i should find out if they will have some nearby during the winter season. thanks again for sharing….really really lovely!
    .-= coucoumadame´s last blog ..Hutschenreuther Lined Vase =-.

73. jennifer commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 8:45pm

That looks heavenly! What a haul!
    .-= jennifer´s last blog ..Roadtrip to see U2! =-.

74. Jacqueline commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 8:54pm

OH MY! Im so jealous. hehe I wish they had such market in my country but they don’t. Im gonna have to try to visit some craft/fabric market when i visit germany year end. :) Your fabric loot are gorgeous…each and everyone is so beautiful! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Color me pretty world =-.

75. Cookie Cutter commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 9:27pm

This is close to fabric heaven! Vintage and Japanese fabric would have made it heaven! Still, I so wish I could have been there.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Wear Heels Today =-.

76. corie commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 9:32pm

I recognize some of your fabric, distributed by Stenzo. As coincidence has it I happen to import European fabric for my web shop, located in Texas, http://www.banberryPLACE.com. I hope this is helpful to some of the other commenters who are looking for a source.
    -Corie

77. LD commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 9:48pm

In a word, WOW. I mean the ribbon selection alone is making me drool. Iwish we had markets like this here in NY! You scored some wonderful finds. Thanks for sharing…and for taking such great pics!
    .-= LD´s last blog ..Glitter Crafts =-.

78. Jason Thompson commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:10pm

I think I’m going to pass out from OCD overload. Whew! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing.

Jason
    .-= Jason Thompson´s last blog ..Book stage =-.

79. samantha hahn commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:16pm

so fabulously colorful!
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..Enzo Mari: Pear and Apple Posters =-.

80. Megan commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:20pm

Your photos are great Holly. I just love the different colours and patterns. My husband would kill me if i came home with anymore fabric though. He just doesn’t get it!

81. Emma commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:41pm

Why oh why do we not have a fabric market like this in Melbourne??? Or in Australia at all – that I know about??
    Looks like heaven to me.
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..{ Blue, White…and Red? } =-.

82. Om K. commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:44pm

WOW … the fabrics are amazing, like a candy store!!! so cute, i wish there’s a market like that in my home town.

83. Om K. commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:46pm

Love the fabrics, it’s like a candy store but won’t make you fat! I wish there’s a market like this in my hometown.
    .-= Om K.´s last blog ..Mini Cooper Necklace – $20.00 =-.

84. Viv commented
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:53pm

This is a dream!
    .-= Viv´s last blog ..I just love new fabrics =-.

85. Wedding Chicks commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 12:53am

wow!!! a fabric lover’s dream come true!

86. enna commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:17am

Holly, I love your fabric selection, especially the pink mermaid one! Reminds me of my wallet that you liked so much. Let’s go together to the next fabric market, you have to show me the booth with the fishy skin fabric :-)

87. decor8 commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:19am

I just found out that the pink with the roses (2nd to last photo) is called Blumen Roses by StenzoKids and is available in U.S. online shop Banberry Place:

Also, I did a little digging and found that lots of the fabrics are German made by the following companies here:

Stenzo
    Westfalen (organic)
    Hilco

And they are available here at this US-based online shop: http://www.buntefabrics.com

Also, if you like some of the trims I’ve shown, you can go to this German shop and click the English flag and then you’ll see that they ship worldwide. The trim is under the word “Webband/Schmuckband” in the drop down menu to the left:

They sell some great patterns too!

88. decor8 commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:21am

Okay enna, sounds good — we’ll go together before you open your shop. I think it starts at 10 a.m. — We can meet at Balzac. :)

89. Pina commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:31am

We don’t have such markets here in Slovenia. A pity! I would love to visit one; such lovely fabric!
    .-= Pina´s last blog ..Welcome autumn! =-.

90. picciolo commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:45am

wow what a wonderful market, I would have spent a fortune there! Perhaps next time you go you could ask them to come to England too?
    : )

91. Jeanette commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 2:55am

How I wish I was there!!! And you should let them know, I bet there would be many more interested coming if there were a bigger variation.
    I don´t think we have anything like this in Norway, but we should :)
    Thank you for showing!

92. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 3:11am

Hi Holly! yep I’m closer to Holland rather then Germany.
    I will investigate to see if I can find out some cool fabric markets like that one in Holland :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Lets jump 2!! =-.

93. allison commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 3:36am

Wow! Holly! how lucky you are, I really love all the events you enjoy at Germany. How much i would like to enjoy a fabric market !, but well,,, live in Italy is like live in prehistory :((( here the are not those wonderful things…… I’m pregnant and I can’t travel to Germany to the next market on November … that’s so sad…
    enjoy your city!!!

94. Ana commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 6:01am

That’s heaven on earth! I’d never heard about this and we don’t have them here in Portugal (as far as I know). So great!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Recomeçar / Starting over =-.

95. pouch commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 6:06am

I would have to stay well away from this event or my bank balance would be severely hit!

what a fantastic idea though :)

96. Catheryne commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 6:37am

This is great ! I open the website and they are having one in my city (Manheim) next month. :) thanks and I like your choices

97. Sabrina commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 7:34am

It’s amazing!!!!

98. vadjutka commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 9:18am

OMG, this is fantastic – I have to go there! Where is it? Probably over the ocean…
    .-= vadjutka´s last blog ..Olive Fields – poppy flower necklace made of silk, with glass beads on brass chain =-.

99. Chelsey commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 12:09pm

I am in love with this! I would have spent hours going through everything. And the trim! I’ve never heard of one here in the states. I’d love to start one in the Midwest, but I’d have no idea of how to begin.

100. j. caroline commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 12:22pm

The cute paisley with the green background shown in your stash is Sandi Henderson’s (of Portbello Pixie) Spring Playful Paisley from her 2nd collection for Michael Miller Fabrics called Farmer’s Market.

If you love big fabric shows, Houston has one every year (this year October 15-18) called Quilt Festival that is open to the public. Yes, you will see some fugly fabric and as another reader mentioned, you will have to ignore some quilts, but there are definitely some booths that look like this market there.
    .-= j. caroline´s last blog ..I made something! =-.

101. Julia Mark commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 5:37pm

It looks lovely! I wish there were something like it that came through my city.

102. Cyd commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Wow, this just looks like heaven. So happy you shared! I’m ready to hop a plane and head off to Germany!

103. carina commented
    September 24th, 2009 at 10:55pm

oh, im jealous! I wish we had markets like this at home :(
    .-= carina´s last blog ..candy coated =-.

104. Une Crêpe Suzette commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 2:37am

My Paradise!!!
    We don’t have that kind of markets in Barcelona (we have markets but not with those nice things)
    .-= Une Crêpe Suzette´s last blog ..Claus Porto =-.

105. Amy commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 7:47am

Lovely!

I’m living in Tampere, Finland for a year (hopefully!) and the prices are around 5 -10 euros a meter. I’m taking a sewing class and to make an apron that is reversible cost about $60 usd! I withheld that info from my husband as long as possible.

106. DuhBe commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 10:56am

Echoing what was said in a few comments already – for those in the USA get yourself to a quilt show! Many vendors bring their best stuff and sell it much like this fabric market. I went to my first one last week and felt like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks for the eyecandy! The photos were fabulous!

107. Genevieve commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 12:40pm

OMG, what a dream! I could get lost in that place for hours! Yes Holly, if you start a traveling fabric market in the US sign me up (will work for fabric- ha)!

108. Tamara Komuniecki commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 3:34pm

Oooh, maybe you should start an etsy shop, and then I can buy ALL of your stock!!! How lucky you are – I am afraid I would have spent a LOT of money there. Beautiful.
    .-= Tamara Komuniecki´s last blog ..Fall Friday musings =-.

109. Simone commented
    September 26th, 2009 at 7:17am

It´s just a dreammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! \o/

110. TH commented
    September 27th, 2009 at 3:44am

wow.. so tempting to go :) hehe.. everything so nice :)
    .-= TH´s last blog ..Love this pearl drinks =-.

111. Melissa commented
    September 27th, 2009 at 7:00am

would love to have a market like this in belgium. It’s just cuteness! :)

112. Penny Patten commented
    September 27th, 2009 at 6:01pm

WOW! I know I would have trouble leaving such a great event! Looked liked so much to choose from. I like your loot!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Introducing some new Hens an a couple of Roosters =-.

113. Puppy commented
    September 29th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Awesome! Love the colors, the place…looks like Brazilian colors, so warm and joyful. Fantastic!
    .-= Puppy´s last blog ..Big Contest “Dudu from Chria”!!! =-.

114. tasha roe commented
    October 1st, 2009 at 11:31pm

oh my! i am trying to catch my breath! the fabric market looks stunning! thanks for sharing the delightful photos!!

115. Lola commented
    October 2nd, 2009 at 5:31pm

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the pictures! You let me daydreaming … :)

It would be amazing to have a market like that one in USA where we can find vintage fabrics, buttons, trims, sequins, dress forms, etc. Also, European and Japanese fabrics.

Have a lovely day!

116. Ellen commented
    October 10th, 2009 at 4:49pm

OMG thank you so much for posting this. My husband and I live in germany right now (army) and you wouldnt believe how hard it is to find fabric. I found a market an hour away I’m gonna try so hard to go to. So thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! I wouldnt have found it otherwise.

117. decor8 commented
    October 11th, 2009 at 3:46am

Ellen try these online sources based in Germany:

http://volksfaden.com/ – The owner is American, living in Berlin, and speaks English. She’s lovely!

http://twinsgarden.de/ – Owned by a German, I believe she understands English well, and she is also very nice.

Also depending on where you live, you can find nice fabric shops. We have a few in Hannover and a few just north in Hamburg and many in Berlin. Whereabouts are you?

118. Gail commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 9:33am

Wow, what an amazing market. I’m sorry when I lived in Germany for a year I wasn’t into sewing, or I would have loved to find those wonderful markets.
    .-= Gail´s last blog ..Heart Style Tulip Apron =-.

119. Holly Hudson commented
    October 20th, 2009 at 8:25pm

Hi Holly,
    In the USA, you can find fabric at outdoor produce markets in the Lancaster, PA area. On Fridays it is the Green Dragon Market in Ephrata & on Tuesdays it is the Roots Market in Manheim. Indoor fabric markets are often called Quilt Markets. The Mancuso Brothers, out of New Hope, PA, have a series of markets, February in Hampton Roads, VA, September in King of Prussia, PA and I believe two others in mid-west & Coastal West (I can’t remember the locations). Local quilt guilds also sponsor fabric festivals….my husband did the Couer ‘d Lane, Idaho Ironman (June) and I went to a local quilt show/market while he was competing! If you get a chance to visit Paris, there are terrific fabric stores up near the Sacre Couer Church, feel free to email for more info. From your photos, I was ga-ga for the eyelet/embrodiered trims—choices are very slim here in the USA; so stock up at future markets! And, the prices for linen were great — it is much more expensive here in the USA, and often isn’t the best quality.
    Enjoy yourself! Holly

120. maroocha commented
    May 12th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Hi after reading your fantastic experience. I noticed you were dissapointed that there was no japanese fabrics or amy butler. This unreal website has lots of echino fabrics that are from old stock which is now out of print and quiet valuable. This site has amazing fabrics which I have never experienced before. take alook its worth it. they also sell quirky homewares cushions and wall art. great for ideas.
    cheers maroocha

121. Lea commented
    September 17th, 2010 at 9:29pm

Hi Holly,
    same with me! I do so much miss japanase fabric in Germany and I can’t remember if I’ve ever spotted it here. Same with vintage fabric. But will see – changes are quick.

Love from Germany
    Lea

122. Violet commented
    September 18th, 2010 at 12:12am

I bet this was so much fun- I’m jealous! You did pick out some beautiful fabrics. I really love the light blue with pink roses- even if there were no vintage items, this print feels vintage. Thanks so much for sharing =D

123. Nicole commented
    September 22nd, 2010 at 1:08pm

I wish we had something like this here in Bergamo. I am drooling!

124. Fira commented
    February 5th, 2011 at 7:22pm

Oh dear.. look at the fabric in all sorts of colors.. simply marvelous! If only something like this market is available here in Malaysia :(

125. Tracey Chalk commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 10:25am

Looks awesome. That would be a perfect morning! xx
    Tracey Chalk´s last blog post ..Hair tutorialmy hairdresser rocks!

126. erica K commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:22am

I’m SO jealous! That looks fabulous…