Shop Tour: Lutterlagkage in Sweden

Happy Friday to you! I hope you’re ready for the weekend, I sure am! But first, I have a shop tour to share from Sweden. And… well I hope to do a lot more of these again in the future so if you have a lovely shop that you’d like to show off, and you want thousands of eyes to see it outside of your local neighborhood, please contact me (holly at decor8blog dot com) with a few preview photos so I can see your shop! Don’t be shy, it’s a great way to share your passion and a good way to market yourself at no charge — something small businesses really need to do in order to stay afloat. You can’t sit behind the cash register thinking some magazine editor will find you, in this day and age you have to get online and share your store with blogs. I’ve had many magazine editors connect with those I’ve featured on this site — and those are the people you want to get in front of and this is often impossible so please, take this opportunity to share your shop! Really! AND if you are an indie designer, scroll to the bottom of this post…

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

I cannot share all shops that are submitted but I can tell you this: I’m looking for stores that are unique, interesting, creative and one that you can imagine seeing on this blog — fitting within the aesthetic and mood here. I think the shop I’m about to show you is a great example of what I’m looking for — small, local, unique, with strong attention to detail when it comes to visual merchandising and overall layout. I also love the way these were photographed in natural sunlight vs. harsh overhead lighting or worse, with flash photography. I hope my submission guidelines don’t come across as too snobby, but I’m very dedicated to sharing beauty on this site and great decorating ideas that inspire so I have to maintain a few house rules. But, I’m very open to sharing and connecting people so if you are too and want to show us your retail shop, please have it photographed or do-it-yourself and send them to me so I can schedule you in. If I receive enough submissions, I’ll turn this back into a regular weekly “event” here on Fridays and revive Shop Talk along with it – a column I once ran where we talked about small business related topics. I think it’s more important than ever to share the small retail establishments that give so much to a community because we want them to thrive and stick around. Here in my city, more and more small stores are opening and I’m so happy to see this growth. Go indie!

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

With all that said… here is a special shop in Malmö, Lutterlagkage, that I’ve been dying to share with you, owned by Stine Holm Weirsoe originally from Denmark. She JUST opened, so these photos were just submitted to me by Stine this morning. Hot off the press! With the photos, I’ve asked her a few questions so please join us today as Stine and I have a chat about her new storefront. Please click on these images to see the details.

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

Good morning Stine! Tell us, what do you sell in your new shop? I mainly sell children’s clothing and accessories. The shop is centered on my own designs sold under the name “lutterlagkage.dk” I have added some of my favourite brands in children’s wear like Swedish “DUNS” and Danish “Milibe”. I focus on sustainability and great design with character. What I really want with the shop is to create a place that is brimming with colour, joy and creativity. A place where you can let your hair down and have fun. That is why I also sell interior details such as handmade vintage fabric cushions, vintage wallpaper silhouettes and handmade porcelain jewellery, all products to help spark the lutterlagkage lifestyle.

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

What are some of your favorite things about this space? One of the favourite things is that I have a big window which is great for displays and for being in touch with the world! Being at home with only the website to showcase my things has been fine but I missed the part where you put your things on display and enjoy them and feel proud because they work as well as you had imagined. I also love the white floors, the fact that I have three rooms – one for the retail space, one for offices space and storage and then a workshop in the back. And I love to be out there, in the real world!

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

Did you DIY anything we’re seeing here as far as the design of the space goes — and if so, what? I basically DIYed everything with the help of friends and family. I painted, put up the wallpaper tree, a design from Holland that I carry in the shop, put up shelves and wallpaper, mounted the lamps, assembled numerous IKEA items…

I noticed the clothes rack is floating from the ceiling, so that’s something you also did yourself? Yes! My friend Katrine came up with the idea of a rack hanging from the ceiling. It proved to be so much harder than we thought ;) But I think it looks great.

Okay, I am dying to know… what does Lutterlagkage mean? Lutterlagkage is a Danish manner of speaking used to express that all is well, that you are happy with something and that you think that everything is crème de la crème! The English equivalent is “peaches and cream”. In Danish we often use the term in its negative form, saying that this or that is NOT “lutterlagkage” and that is said very often about life. But I insist! Life IS lutterlagkage! There is another catch to the phrase; lagkage is the traditional birthday cake, the notorious three-layer-cake. What could be better suited for bright, bold and colourful design than that?

And lastly, what inspired your overall design? My design is very much inspired by my clothing design. I wanted surroundings that  communicated the basic values I have built my brand upon; fun, retro eclectic style with a clear inspiration from childhood memories (yes, those were from back in the early seventies :)) and an obtainable DIY-edge. I also wanted my shop to ooze of that Danish design aesthetics well known abroad. That is why I went for classic Verner Panton FlowerPot pendants (reproductions from the 60s) and classic vintage desk lamps, known in Denmark as “architects lamps”. I also wanted the design to reflect my focus on recycling, up-cycling and sustainability so I made sure to use what I had and what was there as a starting point (the counter and the hand was left by former tenants), I had the lamps and the display table and some of the shelves. That is always my starting point because I like that warm welcoming ambiance that comes with beat-up furniture and miss-matched item – if it’s done cleverly and stylishly. I wanted my shop to have that lived-in ambiance that makes you go “ahhhh” and makes you want to stay and visit again

Lutterlagkage in Sweden

Stine you’ve done a beautiful job with your shop – thank you for sharing it with us today on decor8!

Shop address: Online and Hyregatan 7, 21121 Malmö, Sverige.

Indie Designers: Stine is offering a few spots for other indie designers with similar design aesthetics and feel to sell in the shop on commission. Contact Stine for more information: stine AT lutterlagkage.dk

(images: Stine Holm Weirsoe)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours, travel on September 25, 2009

1. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:19am

Great iniciative Holly! there are so many cute shops like this lovely one. That you only spot them if you happen to wonder around that neighborhood. Giving them a spot light in your blog indeed will help them a lot :) and we will have some more delights to view :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Lets jump 2!! =-.

2. julie commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:39am

wow, what a beautiful riot of colour! love, love, love!
    .-= julie´s last blog ..green dreaming =-.

3. Anna commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:42am

Hi Holly,

what a nice idea to start a friday morning!
    I know Copenhagen isn’t in Sweden, but I came across Grönlykke (www.gronlykke.com) when I was vacationing in Denmark. It’s an absolutely fab shop you could spent days in it. Full of wonderful schnickschnack and fabrics. There a view pic at my blog.
    cheers, Anna

4. Merissa commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:44am

Small, cute shops around the world are so lucky to have such a caring and down to Earth person like Holly of decor8! Lutterlagkage is a charming boutique! Love the DIY stuff, the huge window and Stine’s visual displays…the photography is pretty too!
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..:My 1st Bridesmaids Bouquets: =-.

5. Lucia commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:48am

I’ve been a fan of Lutterlagkage for a long time and always loved her handmade cushions using old pieces of tapestry work – now she has a shop thats an excuse to save for a holiday to Malmo!
    .-= Lucia´s last blog ..Ed Emberley’s Picture Pie Products =-.

6. Annie@A View on Design commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 4:55am

This kind of decor is so “in” right now, I love it!
    .-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Beach house at Eagle Bay, WA =-.

7. Kerstin commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 5:51am

Dear Holly,
    I really enjoy reading your blog.
    Simply love the shop`s interior!!!
    .-= Kerstin´s last blog ..To bake or not to bake =-.

8. designermarkt.blogspot.com commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 6:07am

I love it.
    I´m dreaming of being owner a shop like this one in our town.
    Regards
    Isil
    .-= designermarkt.blogspot.com´s last blog ..DESIGNERMARKT 04.10.2009 =-.

9. ivy style33 commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 7:04am

What a beautiful ,beautiful, sweet and inspired shop!
    Thank you for another lovely post of yours! : )
    …and wishes for a great weekend!
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Flowers! =-.

10. Ana commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 7:20am

I do love decor8! Holly, I love your sense of beauty, the words you use to encourage your readers (thanks for your “All in the details post”!), your soul in every little thing you do…

This post is perfect for me: I am loving everything! I love Scandinavian design and style. I love little indie shops and projects. And I love any kind of design related to children. I love Sweden. And Denmark is always in my heart because I lived in Aarhus (as an Erasmus student). Stine, all the best in this new project!

Have a wonderful week-end!

Regards from the Spanish Mediterranean Coast,

Ana.

11. Victoria Klein commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 7:22am

What a wonderful space with lots of energy. I think kids should be exposed to as much color as possible, and this is a gorgeous way of doing it :)

12. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 8:10am

What a beautiful and fun shop! It definitely makes you want to stay….and stay….thank you so much for sharing ladies! I love it!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Freya art =-.

13. lisa h. commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 8:29am

I want to live in that shop. Is that weird?

It’s just so cheery!
    .-= lisa h.´s last blog ..Blue, Red and White =-.

14. Karen commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 11:20am

I absolutely adore this shop and thank you for sharing it with us, Holly! There is nothing in my area (Rhine river) like it – but maybe someday. You really do inspire us to hold on tight to our dreams by showcasing other’s dreams that have come real! Karen

15. Rache commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 10:58pm

What a lovely shop! So colorful and cheerful and nice! cute name too! Lutterlagkage=)
    .-= Rache´s last blog ..Behind the Lens of: Scott Hargis =-.

16. simplygrove commented
    September 25th, 2009 at 11:56pm

LOVE this shop!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..3 things to love….oops, I mean 5. =-.

17. Natalie commented
    September 26th, 2009 at 5:23am

What a gorgeous riot of colour! I love your interview too.

18. sarathira commented
    September 26th, 2009 at 9:05am

my sister is in the early stages of starting her own baby line, and this is so great holly! she would love this, because its so kitschy and fresh, and that wallpaper as a feature wall is parfait!

you have such a good heart in helping people holly. ive realized that not everybody will have the fairytale story about being discovered, there’s so many wonderful designers and competitions, you really need to put yourself out there and work hard, wow it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! haha
    .-= sarathira´s last blog ..My Saturday In London =-.

19. Stine/lutterlagkage commented
    September 26th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Thanks, Holly, for this! Thanks for what you do, for the opportunity and thanks for the spirit in which you do what you do! I will certainly be looking forward to more shop talk. I find it so inspiring to see what other people do with their dreams.
    Thanks for speaking so bluntly about the whole issue of putting yourself out there as an indie operation instead of sitting around waiting for something to happen.
    And thanks for the comments and all the visits, I loved to share this with you!

20. Riley commented
    September 27th, 2009 at 12:37pm

What a lovely post, Holly. The store is so bright and beautiful and your words very inspiring and encouraging. I think it is so important to get the word out about independant design stores in our respective cities. I look forward to more shop talk!
    .-= Riley´s last blog ..shadows =-.

21. Penny Patten commented
    September 28th, 2009 at 10:52am

A very sweet shop!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Introducing some new Hens an a couple of Roosters =-.

22. Caroline commented
    September 29th, 2009 at 3:01am

I thought I knew the sorroundings when I looked att the pictures, the onewherer you can see the yellow house and it was right! Malmö is where I am sitting at work (right now…). Guesss where I will be going on a lunch soon:)!
    .-= Caroline´s last blog .. =-.

23. fresh365 commented
    September 30th, 2009 at 11:00am

Wow! This shop is adorable! The bright colors are so fun and inviting! I would have to shop here if I were in Sweden!

24. erika commented
    September 30th, 2009 at 6:36pm

love this store! such inspiration if you are a opening a baby store!

love your blog!
    .-= erika´s last blog ..Bedrooms…Where It All Happens =-.

25. Mapiurka commented
    November 14th, 2009 at 5:10pm

Love so much this store!
    .-= Mapiurka´s last blog ..Respaldo de cama en vinilo autoadhesivo =-.