Interiors

Herzensart: Viking Plates

October 1, 2009

Like vikings much? You may not know how charming they can be until now. Sandra Monat from Herzensart has a new collection of viking plates that I think are darling. So fun! I imagine whether you have small boys in the house or not, you could own some for personal use too. No boys required! I’ve talked about Sandra on decor8 before, but in case you aren’t familiar with her then today is your lucky day. She is a German artist/designer who I’ve been following for almost as long as I’ve been writing this blog. And she’s great.

Herzensart: Viking Plates

Sandra makes soft toys, cards, and other neat things out of her studio in a small town just outside of Cologne. Her whimsical blog is full of  inspiration — in addition to sharing her work, she’s been busy sketching her daily outfits and posting them for fun and I really appreciate her sense of humor and her sweet illustrative style.

(images: sandra monat)

21 Comments

• Reply TheBellaLife October 1, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I adore these! I am a European History Major and have researched the Vikings extenisvely. I need to have these! Thanks for the post.
    .-= TheBellaLife´s last blog ..We like to Party =-.

• Reply Erika - 2byDesign October 1, 2009 at 1:35 pm

My Swedish grandmother used to refer to us as all as vikings – I must have these plates!

• Reply fabframes October 1, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Awesome!!!
    .-= fabframes´s last blog ..Charley Harper at the Altman Siegel Gallery =-.

• Reply Victoria Klein October 1, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Uber-cute! :) Who says a few Vikings can’t brighten up your day?

• Reply nichole October 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Cute Vikings: not an oxymoron. Until today, I would have thought otherwise!
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..I Love Fall. But … =-.

• Reply nicoletter October 1, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Oh thank you so much Holly for supporting Sandra. She’s a real lovely one with a very creativ mind. Her creations are so amazing.
    .-= nicoletter´s last blog ..Ein Brieftäubchen… a little carrier pigeon… =-.

• Reply decor8 October 1, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Nicole – I just read on your blog tonight that Sandra sent you a Viking plate — how nice and it was funny that I blogged about her and then found that on your blog. Small world, huh? :)

• Reply madesweet October 1, 2009 at 5:48 pm

these are so great!! what a creative way to depict vikings.
    .-= madesweet´s last blog ..Oliver Furniture =-.

• Reply nicoletter October 1, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Holly – oh yes, the world is a village. ;)
    Now I really go to bed. It’s late.
    See you, Nicola
    .-= nicoletter´s last blog ..Ein Brieftäubchen… a little carrier pigeon… =-.

• Reply beth gunnell October 2, 2009 at 2:57 am

I loooove this work! A plate will be added to my christmas list! Lovely blog too, thank you for sharing.
    .-= beth gunnell´s last blog ..another sunny weekend =-.

• Reply Pixel Wild Child October 2, 2009 at 6:06 am

Thanks for sharing I love everything, dolls, plates, stationery, all! very beautiful work indeed…
    .-= Pixel Wild Child´s last blog ..You can’t fly? Just pretend! (And have lots of fun!) ;O) – Art Collection by Jan Von Holleben’s =-.

• Reply Lisa P. October 2, 2009 at 7:03 am

I truly never knew Vikings could be so cute. I’ll definitely check out her sites.

• Reply Karalee October 2, 2009 at 8:41 am

these are too precious!

• Reply Amy October 2, 2009 at 10:01 am

I love these plates! Sandra is so amazingly talented–and a very kind and sweet person, as well (though I’ve only “met” her virtually!). Such a wonderful artistic inspiration…
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..gal friday: louise o’dwyer =-.

• Reply Lisa October 2, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Oh these are adorable and would go with my Viking cheese grater that I got in Sweden last year!

• Reply Bess October 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

I love her work too!
    A totally weird blog-iverse coincidence: I posted about her work on October 1st too – there must have been something in the air…. weiiiiird! Good for Sandra, lots of exposure!

• Reply maria1975@msn.com October 4, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I’m surprised how cute they are – thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Sandra & Friederike! October 5, 2009 at 5:45 am

ohhh Holly, I was just wondering why my visit numbers suddenly had increased so giantly…. THANK YOU!!!!! :*
    .-= Sandra & Friederike!´s last blog ..viking stamp block =-.

• Reply decor8 October 5, 2009 at 5:56 am

Oh Sandra great news! :) :) :) I’m in Germany now, did you know? I just moved to Hannover where I live in the List — I’m here full-time now, I gave up my home in the states to try out a new life in Germany. We should get together at some point, I still want to visit you in your studio. :)

• Reply Penny Patten October 5, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I love her work/creations, can’t wait to take a look at her blog.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Helping a Family in Need… =-.

• Reply iHanna October 7, 2009 at 4:25 am

Love the “what I wore” drawing, also check out the über cute flickr group What I wore today (drawings only) at:

It’s so inspirational and fun to look at!
    .-= iHanna´s last blog ..This is the Self Updating Post =-.