Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends! It’s me, Leslie and it’s time for Color Me Pretty again. Are you ready to see what I’ve come up with this time around? Today I am using different shades of mauve, magenta and deep purple combined with lots of aged paper for a more nostalgic feel. What do you think? I also wanted to paint some Anni Albers (German textile artist and printmaker, read more here) inspired patterns in watercolor to bring geometric elements to the mix as I always like it when different styles converge, don’t you? Some of the dahlias I photographed also inspired me to paint a few which brings a softness to some crafts I made for you. I really hope you enjoy this little investigation.

Color Me Pretty

Decorating ideas: As you know vintage papers of any kind can provide an interesting texture to your home decor. Old books with worn spines on a shelf, maps of cities you love or images from bygone eras can help to create more flavor to any room. I have noticed that vintage post cards are widely available at my local flea market and they can be an instant way to add color and a little bit of history to your walls. It is also fun to turn them over and show the old handwriting and stamps on the back. I could imagine some tacked in a group or clipped to a string hung on a wall, some showing the images and some showing the back. The postcards I picked up were fifty cents to a dollar with some dating back to 1910.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

DIY Ideas: Garlands (above) are featured everywhere these days but they are also nostalgic and so sweet, I just had to try making one for you in this color scheme! After scanning in some of my watercolors I then printed them out on textured paper, cut the triangles, and then quickly glued them to a ribbon. I hope you like it and I will try to sew one next time!

Color Me Pretty

Another DIY idea — Lastly, I scanned in some old German text book pages to use as a background texture for some of the photographs and for some little gift tags that I made. I just didn’t feel right about cutting up the book for my crafts! Are you the same way when it comes to cutting up books? It’s hard, isn’t it?

I really look forward to seeing you back here in a couple weeks!- xo, Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, guest bloggers on October 05, 2009

1. rikrak commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:18pm

oh good golly!
    this is gorgeous!
    thanks for the inspiring images!
    .-= rikrak´s last blog ..recycled, quilted vintage fabric clutch…sustainable purse =-.

2. Caitlin commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:19pm

GORGEOUS! I lovvvve the colour scheme. The garland is so so pretty, I would love to hang it up in my room! And I can’t believe how beautiful those painted dahlias are…you painted them!?? Absolutely amazing.
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Up all Night at Nuit Blanche =-.

3. carrie @ bloomacious commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:21pm

absolutely gorgeous! Love the many textures and tones – I usually don’t care for mauve but it’s really pretty here.
    .-= carrie @ bloomacious´s last blog ..Highlights from Stella McCartney =-.

4. beth cupitt commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:21pm

i adore the garland! and the colors of course. you just nail this stuff every time.
    .-= beth cupitt´s last blog ..Pie Contest. =-.

5. Shanon commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:26pm

Bravo Leslie! Another wonderful post! =) I always look so forward to what you are going to present next. You always keep me excited and inspired.
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Blades of Grass: An inspired outfit. =-.

6. Ravenhil commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:27pm

Oh, joy! This is fabulous! The colors are so luscious and pretty! I adore the garlands and the tags are brilliant. No, I haven’t managed to cut up many old books either…
    ~Emily xx
    .-= Ravenhil´s last blog ..Gratitude =-.

7. tracy hiner commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:47pm

LOVE IT ALL!!! soooo beautiful.

8. trish commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 2:51pm

pretty, fun and happy colors! must try the garland, greatly executed once again.
    tks ox t
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Inlaid Antique Chest: Mother of Pearl =-.

9. Jeanee commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 3:01pm

I LOVE purple! This is FAB.
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..no work in progress =-.

10. eegam commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 3:21pm

awwww, cookie mag is folding, i wonder if real simple will close too.

11. Antoinette commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 3:33pm

Every image is absolutely stunning and has a wonderful attention to detail! So femme and vintage|modern! Love it all!
    .-= Antoinette´s last blog ..New Photo Holiday Card Line: Prints Charming =-.

12. The Bella Girls commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 3:39pm

I love how you’ve combined the “new” purple colors coming in with the nostalgic feel of the postcards, the paper and the ribbon. It’s a colorful feast for the eyes! Debbie

13. caitlin commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 3:43pm

that fabric=WANT. could you tell us where to find some like that??

14. quirky brunette commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 4:19pm

Stunning, stunning, stunning! Purple (in all its various hues) is my favourite colour; these images just made my day!

Thanks for sharing! :-)

15. My Owl Barn commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 4:27pm

Mauve is one of my favorite colors. This lovely post made me very happy :)
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Owl Calendars 2010 =-.

16. Nancy commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 4:28pm

I couldn’t possibly love that garland more! Would love to make one myself.
    xo
    .-= Nancy´s last blog ..run rabbit run rabbit =-.

17. decor8 commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 4:57pm

eegam – My editor at Real Simple assured me recently that RS is doing great right now. But you never know with any publication what the future holds.

18. chiara commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 4:59pm

oh! all so gorgeous. I love love love the vintage rolls of ribbon.
    .-= chiara´s last blog ..cap it off =-.

19. Jackie commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:31pm

I used to feel the same way about cutting up books. But now I find myself doing it because I just don’t have time to scan all the pages I need. I do a lot of collaging. Also, most of the books I use are so outdated. I like to think that I am taking something old and making it into something new, which is a good. It is like that kid’s story about the jacket that eventually makes its way down to a button. You know the one?
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..Striped Scarf – CANDY SUNRISE =-.

20. Vicki Moore commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Leslie~ This color investigation is fabulous and oh so beautiful!!! LOVE LOVE the gift tags and garland, layering your amazing watercolors and vintage text is such a great idea. I feel the same way about books and favorite mags… cherish them all! Thank you for sharing.

21. Hilda commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:44pm

It’s beautiful, truly. And I especially love the geometric watercolors. Would it be possible to print things on textile on a diamond shape which you could then fold in half and glue together?
    .-= Hilda´s last blog ..Battersea Park =-.

22. Travelingmama commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:54pm

I have these exact colors on my craft table at the moment. I am smitten with these hues and your photos are just as beautiful as ever!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..Globe {trotting} =-.

23. vicki (simply hue) commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:56pm

WOW, Leslie!!! Every week your posts just get better and better. I didn’t think that was possible. ;) I like how you included the vintage postcards because I have several and didn’t know what to do with them. Beautiful post! xo
    .-= vicki (simply hue)´s last blog ..Monday Morning Inspiration =-.

24. Rachel commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 6:32pm

I have to admit, I’ve never been a fan of purples, but this collection is just stunning!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..From the misty haze of Vicodin comes a mostly coherent blog post. =-.

25. monica from hola!design commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 6:48pm

Amazing color palette. Also, that picture of the pink flower is perfection, Great post!
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Another monday! =-.

26. Heather- Gathering Spriggs commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 7:14pm

Oh, Leslie. Im melting!
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Blog of the Week: The Ritzy Bee =-.

27. eileen commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Love the colours! My husband actually collected a bunch of postcards from one source – a man writing back to a sister or sweetheart while posted all over the place during WWII. My husband photocopied the pictures and showed the writing on the other side beside it (not allowed at the photocopying shop to photocopy a signature). Everyone is always drawn to this collage of postcards even fireman (long story!).

I can’t cut up old books either.
    .-= eileen´s last blog ..September 18-19, 2009 =-.

28. Liss commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 8:34pm

so so pretty, love these colours and the colour me pretty features!!
    .-= Liss´s last blog ..Ella May =-.

29. Paper InStyle commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 9:25pm

pictures are gorgeous! thanks for the inspiration.
    .-= Paper InStyle´s last blog ..custom owl stationery. set of 10 =-.

30. Diane commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 9:38pm

I love the shades of purple. Your garland is awesome and I love your beautiful gift tags that you made. Your watercolors are amazing!
    Thanks!

31. Gem commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 9:41pm

This is one of my favorite color combinations, thank you!
    .-= Gem´s last blog ..Suggest A Song Monday-Don’t Look Back =-.

32. Patty S commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 9:58pm

oh my goodness – what a BEAUTIFUL post!
    these colors are my favorites and all the gorgeous images made my evening!
    thanks for putting it all together :-)

33. Jane commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 10:20pm

Really beautiful. I love the beige\ brown with mauve and pink very retro and 1950s but also quite modern.
    .-= Jane´s last blog ..A pink book collection – are you what you read? =-.

34. ellie commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 10:32pm

Your choice of dahlias are amazing, they are such perfect flowers in form and colour and the gift tags with ribbons, can I order them! And I like the
    idea of stringing postcards up, your watercolours are inspiring, too! Thank you

35. Kellie commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 10:34pm

Love the colors and the gift tags!!
    .-= Kellie´s last blog ..Pretty Peppers! =-.

36. Vanille commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Absolutely gorgeous ! Love this palette of colours !

37. shay commented
    October 5th, 2009 at 10:52pm

Leslie,
    Fresh,modern and interesting.you have out done yourself…So, crazy good.
    Shay

38. Merissa commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 12:05am

Oh! Love it all! And your watercolors are SUPER! The dahlias and your watercolored ones as pennant flags, and over the vintage German font…I wanna eat them up they’re so pretty! And the postcards…love!
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..:My Kokeshi Doll: =-.

39. Anne-Marie commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 12:41am

Incredible color scheme; just breathtaking. I appreciate all of the color variations on purple; who knew there were so many?

40. Jacqueline commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 1:08am

Yay Leslie, another of my fav color me pretty post! These images are gorgeous! Love love love! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..How long has it been since you did a… =-.

41. Laura commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 2:26am

Oh my goodness. You are very talented. Love this post.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..More Rosey Bounty From The Garden =-.

42. juliette commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 3:09am

love this – again! I’m always amazed at the lovely imagery and talented work displayed here!

also love the DIY ideas thrown in the mix, practical and fun – thanks!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Reveal: Pom Pom Trim =-.

43. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 3:39am

Gorgeous post! The garlands are simply beautiful :)
    Those colors weren’t my favorite ones, but after seeing your pictures I’ve changed my mind :) What a visual delight!
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Universal Sync between bloggers! =-.

44. Aricia commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 4:37am

Oh !Fantastic !!I like very much those coulors : pink and purple. It’s very nice, fresh and girly .
    thanks for all, kiss from France
    Aricia
    .-= Aricia´s last blog ..Découverte =-.

45. Canarybird (Sharon) commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 9:03am

Oh another beautiful presentation Leslie! I love gold and fuschia mixed with pink. So very pretty! Cheers….Sharon.
    .-= Canarybird (Sharon)´s last blog ..64 ~ World Cheese Awards =-.

46. Mrs. M commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 10:01am

FABULOUS!! I always love her color choices and those flowers are just gorgeous!!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..why hello, October =-.

47. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 10:56am

Good god Leslie….I swear, you have more talent in your little pinkie than I have…well, anywhere! These colors are just gorgeous together and the painting you did is amazing….plus, the mustard fabric standing in for the parchment with the purples and magenta fabric is so beautiful. I love it all and I neeeed that garland you made! Don’t you know I am a garland fiend? :) I wish I could live inside your color me pretty posts, gah! Just amazing my dear….amazing.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a painting =-.

48. phoenix commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 11:30am

What a gorgeous post! The images are fantastic and thrill me as purple is my favourite colour! :) I want to head out and hunt down vintage glass with a hint of lavender now! Thanks!

49. honeymyheart commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 12:03pm

love this color combo! we used similar hues for our wedding colors :)
    .-= honeymyheart´s last blog ..I want an eeny weeny bit: A teaser =-.

50. Kara commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 12:06pm

it is absolutely beautiful and so inspiring! I really love how you take a concept and really blow it out into so many beautiful ideas and creations!
    dying to watercolor now….
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..studies+mood board =-.

51. melissa deakin commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 1:57pm

you’ve done it again, miss leslie!
    just absolutely incredible.
    each time you post a new ‘Color Me Pretty’, i think to myself, ‘this is definitely my favorite’. you outdo yourself again and again.
    thanks for sharing your talent and beauty with all of us!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Thursday’s thought… =-.

52. Kerstin commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 2:53pm

Wow! How gorgeous! Looking at these photographs makes me happy!
    .-= Kerstin´s last blog ..Vintage Baking… =-.

53. wini commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 8:01am

Hi Leslie, I am completely blown away…!! My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw these pictures!! WOW you are so incredibly gifted and thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work with us. Wini xo
    .-= wini´s last blog ..Visual Diary =-.

54. Amber commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 8:27am

I never thought of pairing lavender with chartreuse, but it looks wonderful here! Thanks for the inspiration!

55. Penny Patten commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 1:59pm

Just gorgeous! Honestly, I love to cut up books, but only to re-use, old ones, or ones I pick up very cheap!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Aprons and Bags =-.

56. fresh365 commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 4:01pm

Lelsie- The DIY garlands are such a great idea! I really enjoy seeing all of your color palettes!

57. isla commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 10:44pm

Oh my GOSH, these colors are just so fabulous together!

58. Angel commented