Nestled In

I just realized that I need to update the blog of the week and so while I was reading Door Sixteen this morning, I found the blog that I would put in the featured spot until next Monday. It’s called Nestled In and is written in English by Finnish couple, Katja and Minna, who have the best taste and who are quite fond of IKEA. These two will change the way you look at IKEA, especially if you’re one to dismiss them as either the last resort for something or not grown up enough,  or simply for the college crowd as some may say.

Nestled In

Here in Germany, and I’m assuming most of Europe in general, this store is what Target is to Americans — the place to go for those staple items you need in the home without spending a fortune and of course they’ll have style, your bowls and table linens will be in either fun patterns and colors or in the best modern shapes. Not only the college crowd shops IKEA here, but many others do as well… including me! Some buy the furniture, others just accessories like lamps and trays, and still others go for the textiles available on the bolt by the meter for sewing up projects at home. I like their plastic trays, food containers, appliances and kitchen cabinetry, and office furniture for example. I also like their plants and flower pots. And of course all of the opportunities to repurpose or paint some of your finds.

Nestled In

What I love about Nestled In is that Katja and Minna seem to take those things in-store that you may have walked right by not even giving them a second look — but then you spot them on their blog and think, “Hey, that thing is cool – how come I didn’t notice it in the store?”.  Whether from a big box store or a thrift shop, they score some of the best pieces! This is the sign of a person with a good eye, they spot the things that others often overlook which is why reading a blog like Nestled In (or any other blog written by someone with obvious good taste) can train the eye. If you don’t feel that you are currently that type of person, the one with the good eye, then blog reading can definitely aid in becoming better at sourcing finds in the future and in developing your own sense of style.

I hope this doesn’t sound conceited but I’ll say it anyway, those of you who know me know I’m not a show off, but I’ve always had a good idea of what I liked and some refer to this as good taste, and this is why I started decor8 in the first place. I’ve always had a knack for finding things that others didn’t see. However, I must confess, that blogging for nearly four years now has definitely improved my eye and sharpened my ability to curate and pull things that fit into my aesthetic.

I believe that blogging, based upon my own personal experience, works wonders in this area. The more you “curate”, the more you come across a sort of pattern or spot a theme – you’ll notice that your tastes and interests start to become very, very obvious to not only your readers but to you. It’s one of the many reasons why I always kept a written journal since the age of 7 or 8 and why I still do — I can go back and see a pattern to the way I’ve always thought or felt, or see what dreams I had 10 years ago that are still very much alive today. Like my dream of relocating to another country. And now that I’ve done it and can go back to entries in my journal 15 years ago talking about my trip to Paris and how much I’d love to relocate to Europe (I never had my eye on one particular place, I thought about England and France, but doesn’t every American?) and seeing now that I’ve accomplished that goal I feel very happy and confident that I can reach the other goals that I wrote down years ago (and currently) as well.

Nestled In

Same with blogging. I think putting yourself and your likes out there you can find your personal taste and even your calling in a particular profession. That is also why I don’t highlight things on my blog that I dislike, or that others try to pressure me to write about (I get that a lot), I only want to curate things I like from my heart, things that I want to be part of my online journal – those I want to influence my taste and style further so that I can stay on course with exactly what I like versus things I sorta like or am not so sure about. So when people ask me, “How did you find your style?”, one reply I have that makes the answer short and easy for others is: through consistent research and blogging. I mean, there is much, much more that has to do with how I grew up and what I was exposed to from the time I was born but these are not things that make others feel like what you have is also possible for them since we cannot change how we were raised. I was lucky to be raised by a highly creative family of mostly small business owners. But not everyone else had this kind of expose from birth. So if you did not grow up this way, you can still get a sense of your style and become more creative by starting a blog or even a written journal where you collect your inspirations in one spot through photographs, tear sheets, even paint swatches from the hardware store, fabric samples and leftover pieces of wallpaper. Your blog, or book, can be the space in which you collect everything that inspires you and makes you happy. You know who does a beautiful job at this? Yvonne from the Yvestown blog. She has another blog, but it’s more of a drop box for things that she finds and loves with little text, and it’s called Today I Love. Check it out. This is another way to blog your inspirations if you’re not big on writing. Visual blogging as it is commonly referred to.

Okay so I’ve gone a bit off track but oh well… If you are still reading and haven’t completely zoned out or fallen asleep, then perhaps you’ve enjoyed hearing my thoughts on this whole topic of developing ones own personal style. Now, let’s return back to the original reason for this post…. :) Let us resume regular programming…

I hope that you enjoy reading Nestled In this week as the blog of the week, and I hope that you’ve enjoyed the images I’ve shared with you in this post from Katja and Minna’s beautiful home in Oulu, Finland. They’re quite inspiring, don’t you think?

(images: nestled in)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on October 06, 2009

1. julie commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 5:59am

Hello Holly,
    the trick with Ikea really is to incorporate it into your own style, I believe. One can get quite overwhelmed with all that´s on offer, but maybe having that style folder you mentioned once in a post about visiting fleamarkets can help to focus and visualize what one really wants.
    Actually, that´s a good idea – I made one ages ago, before visiting a 48hour fleamarket in Belgium. I´ll pull that out again now that I´m on a mission to cozy up our apartment for the colder days.
    julie
    .-= julie´s last blog ..red and white… =-.

2. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 6:11am

Hi Holly! I really enjoyed ready this post. I’m quite new in the blogging world but so far it has been a great experience. Browsing through blogs having the opportunity to see what other people like, what is for them beautiful. But also starting to create, as you refer, our own style and why to communicate.
    I’m more of a visual person so i enjoy a lot looking at beautiful pictures that capture simple objects in new ways. But also, reading inspiring posts like this one is a delight!
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Universal Sync between bloggers! =-.

3. jamie commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 6:12am

love your styles! definitely heading over to Nestled In right now.

4. frauheuberg commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 6:27am

hej holly,
    is for me a interesting blog, because i work for two years at ikea…;)was never the “ikeaner” … some things i have liked , others not …the different I had to sell … but i´ve always encouraged customers to use our products differently …and that was my motivation…so it is interesting to look at the pictures of their blog…;)
    and you´re so right with your thoughts about blogging…it must come from the heart…you must write from your heart… not only write about something because everyone will find it great and in…that makes your blog not personal…not special…like yours …
    thank you, that I get to think on things like that every day because you gave us this input…personal and very emotional … that’s just beautiful…;)
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..…surprise from vienna… =-.

5. shalini commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 7:58am

I’ve been following Katja and Minna and their home renovation and decoration on flickr and their blog for a while now. I do agree that they always make things look so much nicer than what I might have seen in the store or the catalog. I love how they mix and marry textures and patterns, and of course, their quick changes of the cushions, which so easily transform the rooms each season.
    .-= shalini´s last blog ..…and another Yay! =-.

6. Riz commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 8:30am

Hello Holly,
    I enjoyed reading this post, especially on your views about finding your style, perfecting your craft. Sometimes the best way to be better at what you do is to just keep on doing it. It is one thing to be born with talent, and yet another to put time and effort into developing it to be something larger.

Love all your finds too!

xox, Riz

7. juliette commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 8:38am

like this – esp as one with a home full of Ikea and me being one trying to take the ‘ikea edge’ off in varying degrees.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Reveal: Pom Pom Trim =-.

8. B commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 8:56am

Hi Holly – I very much enjoyed this post, and Nestled In is one of my favorites of your blog of the week. What you say about deepening your style through reading and blogging really speaks to me. I’ve been interested in interior design all my life, which stems from helping my mom move furniture around her house constantly. When I first bought my condo three years ago, I was a bit overwhelmed by all the options, but I’m finding that as I “play” in my home, I’m finally honing in on the elements that are truly me versus ideas that I may like but aren’t a good fit. Seeing different styles on design blogs and tuning into my own reactions to them has really helped me grow in this way.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Before and After – My Craft Room =-.

9. montague commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 9:03am

such a glorious site! thanks for sharing!
    .-= montague´s last blog ..for m. =-.

10. Marianne commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 9:21am

Hi Holly,
    Thanks for the tip. I love Ikea, so I will definitely visit Nestled In.
    I have been blogging for over a year now. Sometimes it is hard. I have a full time job. There isn’t always time and sometimes I am too tired. AND I am not much of a writer, so I try not to write too much. You are definitely a roll model for me. Not just your good taste (even though it sometimes differs from mine), but also your way with words ;-)
    .-= Marianne´s last blog ..{Glass & China} =-.

11. LUST COVET ENVY commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 9:22am

Thanks for sharing Holly, I love Ikea too so I’m off to get some inspiration : )

12. Katja commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 9:40am

Thank you so much for such nice words about our blog and our home, what a wonderful surprise it was to see our little blog here on one of my favorite blogs and daily reads! :) I agree with you that reading blogs and writing a blog help you to discover your own style, we are just figuring out our decorating style together and blogs are a very helpful tool for that!
    .-= Katja´s last blog ..New Dresser =-.

13. Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 10:10am

I was thinking the same thing just yesterday. My blog started out of keeping track of all the lovely things I saw online and pictures I had torn out of magazines. A year later and a house later, my style has really changed from our old apartment style. I was starting to worry that my taste would be drastically changed again by next year but I’ve come to the same realization that my aesthetic has just done some growing up and some refining from all the great designs I’ve been exposed to by blogging and being a faithful follower of many others’ blogs.

I love your long posts.
    .-= Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat´s last blog .."the renovated rental" of grant k. gibson. =-.

14. Anna commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 10:15am

Thanks for sharing this Holly – nothing like a shiny new blog to get your teeth into! I will enjoy reading that one later.

I really think the power of the internet has also opened up so many inspirational doors – to be able to peer inside peoples homes like this is just amazing and for me personally gives me so many ideas. Individuals interpretation of home is so varied. I remember when purchasing my first home 11 years ago my only real inspiration was Living etc (it had just come out and I can still remember the excitement of that first well thumbed copy!!) 3 houses and 3 babies later (and the budget constraints that these entail) I had felt a bit alienated from the world of interior design even though it was something I felt passionate about.

But now, with blogs and etsy, and ebay and Ikea (hurrah for Ikea!) and sites like yours the world of interiors feels more relaxed and about putting your own spin on things.

Phew….got carried away there but it is something your post has inspired me to sort my own thoughts out on!

Anna x
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..The stairs =-.

15. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 11:02am

I completely agree hun, and it isn’t conceited at all….just true!( in your case) :) I love nestled in’s home and adore the personal touches they have made their own. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a painting =-.

16. Jutta commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 11:38am

Oh, Nestled in is one of my favorites! They have such great taste, I love their style.
    .-= Jutta´s last blog ..Ensilumi =-.

17. ana commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 1:10pm

It’s so great finding inspiration from your blog
    .-= ana´s last blog ..Singapore =-.

18. Kate commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 3:45pm

Absolutely agree – since I’ve started visual bookmarking (using We Heart It, or similar), I can totally see patterns emerging. I could never really pinpoint why I liked an image or style, and now that I see all my favourites together in one spot, I can define my attraction to them.

Likewise with my photography – I’ve developed a style through identifying what I like in others. My Faves on Flickr tell a story about me that I might not have otherwise been able to tell myself.

Great post Holly!!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..My Life as an Intrepid Explorer =-.

19. leni commented
    October 6th, 2009 at 11:17pm

that black porcelain bird is adorable!
    .-= leni´s last blog ..Mykonos =-.

20. ivy style33 commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 1:26am

So nice to see Nestled in featured here! Katja’s blog together with Anna’s Door Sixteen were form the first blogs I accidentally discovered, by clicking on “the blogs I read” section of another great blog, Emma’s design blog ( hope my memory doesn’t fool me!). I love what they do with their homes, their style and pictures! I have been finding so much inspiration in their “pages”, eventhough they don’t run on a daily basis….but for that I always come here and am very pleased to find great inspiration and get informed about what is. I also like very much the posts in Haus Maus ( especially lately)! So, wishes for lots of creativity and inspiration to all of us! And a lovelymorning : )
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Reusing and repurposing stuff =-.

21. nicolezh commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 1:50am

so great to see nestledin.net over here! it is one of my fave blogs ever, as i really appreciate their focus on chic, affordable and solution-based furniture and decoration. And I heart Lissu, the cat :-)

22. nicoletter commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Oh thanks Holly for this post about Nestled In. I love this blog from Katja and Minna. These two got an impeccable taste and a great feeling for style and esthetics.
    .-= nicoletter´s last blog ..Herbst Impressionen… autumn impressions… =-.

23. nicoletter commented
    October 7th, 2009 at 4:41pm

Oh I forgot something: this evening I visited IKEA. I was tempted to buy a white LERBERG shelf. But I had to buy so much other stuff for my new appartment, so I postponed the LERBERG buying on another date. ;)
    .-= nicoletter´s last blog ..Herbst Impressionen… autumn impressions… =-.

24. sunny commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 9:07am

It’s great you introduced Nestled In here so even more people can find out about it. I’ve been reading Nestled In for awhile and adore it.

Good timing on your post. I’m headed to IKEA tomorrow and will look for items that stand out to me..not just anyone else.
    .-= sunny´s last blog ..AT calls it a "white nest" =-.

25. Josephine Tale Peddler commented
    October 31st, 2009 at 11:14pm

This is a timely post for me as I have just blogged about my first ever visit to IKEA for the first time and I couldn’t believe how much I loved it there! It felt as if I was back in Sweden. Prior to this I had dismissed it as being somewhere that everyone said was a ‘nightmare to go to’ I can’t wait to check out the link you provided. Thanks! xx
    .-= Josephine Tale Peddler´s last blog ..Fabbo Friday and Fab and Fun things I love =-.