Designers + Stylists

Michelle Williams Interiors

October 9, 2009

I heard from interior designer Michelle Williams‘ publicist recently and wanted to share her portfolio in case you’ve not seen it before… Some of her rooms really caught my eye and well, something more. I’ll get to that in a moment. First, Michelle Williams Interiors has been featured in countless national publications including Marie Claire, InStyle.com and Renovation Style. She is based in Chicago where she lives and works transforming residential spaces. She really has that Domino aesthetic, don’t you think?

Michelle Williams Interiors

But now to what really inspired me to write about Michelle outside of her apparent talent. I felt inspired by her biography because I think many have the impression that most designers have been at it since birth and that if you haven’t why bother changing your career once you’ve hit your thirties and beyond? Easy. Because you can!

Part of her bio reads, “After Simmons College in Boston, Michelle moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career as a celebrity publicist. While she always felt a calling for interior design, it took a few years in the corporate world and encouragement from leading architects and designers to take the leap of faith. She moved back to Chicago and established a career in the design world.”

Very encouraging, I think! Imagine going from a celebrity publicist to an interior design, from L.A. to Chicago? That’s a leap! And now, fifteen years later, she has established herself as a go-to designer in Chicago and is doing quite well in her profession. I think these rooms show that talent and I’m so glad she trusted her gut and pursued her passion, clearly she has made the right choice. Let’s all give a high five to Michelle!

Michelle Williams Interiors

I guess the moral of the story is this: If you are really passionate about something you simply have to take the leap. So many successful woman did so and things worked out just fine. No fear! No fear! :) You. Can. Do. It. You risk more by not trying.

(images: michelle williams interiors)

15 Comments

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am

Holly, I’m so happy you mention this change in career thing… it’s so encouraging to hear Michelle’s story. I also left my career (in banking) a couple of years ago to pursue my dream in interior design and to set up my online shop, and although I haven’t looked back since, there have been some really hard times, especially in gaining people’s trust that I know what I’m talking about!!
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..For the love of teapots =-.

• Reply CapreeK October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am

Really beautiful work! I agree about her bio – so encouraging! It would be great to snag an interview with this lady to learn more about her transition into interior design. *hint hint* Go Holly, go! :D
    .-= CapreeK´s last blog ..Anna Wolf Photography =-.

• Reply Lydia, Clueless Crafter October 9, 2009 at 11:30 am

Kudos kudos for making a leap in life.

I’m all about living many different experiences. And as CapreeK said, do snag an interview?!
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Love, Loss and What You wore? =-.

• Reply Kiran October 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

I love how the rooms look so bright, light and airy. Beautiful work. Michelle’s change of career was a very wise choice and we all can learn something from this life-changing experience. Thanks for sharing this Holly :)
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Beyonce’ “I am…” World Tour =-.

• Reply simplygrove October 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Beautiful work!! I want to live in that bedroom!
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..3 things to love…. =-.

• Reply Flavia October 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I love hearing stories like this! Inspirational for sure. I really like her work too.
    .-= Flavia´s last blog ..Mood Board – Calming Bedroom =-.

• Reply ginger October 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm

i love the bedroom, it looks so cozy

• Reply Kathy October 9, 2009 at 2:33 pm

As someone who is currently enrolled in interior design school, coming from a short two year career in accounting, it’s always encouraging to hear about career changers! You definitely hear so much from people in interior design that they have wanted to be in interior design since they were two and they spent their childhood rearranging their room. It’s good to be reminded that those that come in to this career later in life can be successful as well :)

• Reply Victoria October 9, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I love this post! Both for the message and the photos. Anyone who follows their dreams and passions is always an inspiration. Congrats to Michelle!

I love, love, love the bedroom she designed. It just looks so cozy and inviting. Perfect for yourself, or even a sumptuous guest room. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply alexandra keller October 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm

oh, gosh! love her! miss Chicago :(
    .-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..cosa verde =-.

• Reply monica from hola!design October 9, 2009 at 9:25 pm

great post! very inspiring. I changed careers,too. I went to interior design school, only to find that my true passion is web design. It’s still a creative field, but I had to learn a bunch of new stuff! it’s a great feeling to discover what you really love!
    have a great weekend!
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..New York, Music and More =-.

• Reply Sharalee October 10, 2009 at 9:28 am

Holly –
    Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring story – I need this today! Michelle is one talented lady – off to her site now…
    Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful weekend! xx

• Reply peter.may31 October 12, 2009 at 5:33 am

I love how the rooms have brightened up..they look so bright, light and airy. Beautiful work. Good stuff

• Reply Alissa October 14, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Love her rooms!

• Reply Shuku October 17, 2009 at 7:51 am

This was something I needed to read – I’ve been lurking around for a while but this is the first time I’ve actually posted a comment. I’m in my thirties, was trained in a totally different field from what I work in now, and have just stuck my neck out and started a small jewellery/creative business. On top of that I’m training for a new career (from English/theatre arts and film into teaching and vocals is a big leap and scary!) So this was absolutely timely – and encouraging, because I’ve been really down and discouraged about stuff lately. Thank you for sharing!