Erik Johnson Photography

Looking for a little inspiration to kick start your week? Look no further than the portfolio of American photographer Erik Johnson. With clients like Real Simple, Lucky, The New York Times, Martha Stewart Living and more, you’ve no doubt spotted his work many times but perhaps never associated his name with it. Well now you will! And this is the whole reason why I like to highlight the many talented photographers out there who visually work their magic producing some of the best photos in some of our favorite publications. I also think that it is a bit unfortunate how little most know about the person behind the lens — we just assume the photos appear out of thin air I assume (I once never gave it much thought, sad to say) — but they don’t. Very often magazines hire on freelance photographers like Erik Johnson and this is the work that keeps these talented people afloat, able to do what they love: take pictures that give the viewer a emotional reaction. And this is what makes magazines come to life: gorgeous visuals. Imagine a design or decorating magazine without photographs, only text? Blah!

Erik Johnson Photography

Erik Johnson Photography

Erik Johnson Photography

Please take a further look into Erik’s portfolio here. Highly inspirational work!

(images: erik johnson)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on October 12, 2009

1. Concha commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 7:34am

Wow! Amazing portfolio! Just the kind of style that speaks to me!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Corners of my home :: sitting room =-.

2. The Perfect Palette commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 7:38am

such incredible color palettes. We are inspired!

3. Josie commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 7:59am

Oh how lovely! I adore the first set and all the pink – oh to have a pink room like when I was five again!

4. Molly Jean commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 8:00am

an impeccable eye for capturing artwork in spaces, has he! love this! thanks for sharing!

5. laura trevey commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 8:22am

Wonderful work! Love the hats on the wall image!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Wedding Thank You Cards, for your Bridesmaids, Bridal shower, 5 by 7 =-.

6. Yoli commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 8:39am

Reminds me of candy. Lovely.
    .-= Yoli´s last blog .. =-.

7. Mike commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 9:30am

The photography looks like your style by the way. I love it too. The angle and view that things are photographed play with the feeling of white/light. Every photo has the style of openness. Even though some of the items in the photos are not my style I would be glad to live in a place such as this. Eric Johnson does a wonderful job.

8. Lydia, Clueless Crafter commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 10:30am

Without the visual life would be so cold. Great to spotlight women and men like Erik.

The first photograph has a piece in it that looks like Louise Nevelson’s work. I’d include a link to what I mean, but don’t want it to look tacky.

What I’m wondering is if this famous artist made works on this small of a scale?
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Curate to Differentiate? =-.

9. Amanda commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 12:39pm

Incredible! After a couple years of trolling this blog, I find people I actually know on it. Erik’s wife and I work with eachother in Seattle. I highly recomment Erik for his obvious talent and his well rounded personality. He his currently opening a studio in Seattle too. Yay!

10. decor8 commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 12:54pm

Amanda that’s pretty cool!

11. Hilary commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 5:51pm

I wonder does Eric style these as well?
    Such beautiful composition in each room.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Event Recap =-.

12. leslie commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 6:39pm

Oh my -I am going to be staring at his work for a while…I just want to jump into every frame! Something about that kitchen and the spice rack makes me want to cook something!!!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Dahlias and Vintage Paper =-.

13. Penny Patten commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 10:08am

Very nice work, love the kitchen and living area.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Fall Foliage a long with a couple of Deer =-.

14. Kiran commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:15pm

I agree with Leslie :) The spice rack is calling me out to cook something! Spicy ;) And I love Erik’s portfolio. No brainer he is out there as a professional photographer. Talented.
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Guess Glow Candy =-.