uncategorized

Monika Järg: Wooden Rug

October 12, 2009

Have you ever seen a wooden carpet with felt stitched on? Oh no? Oh yes! You are about to… Meet Estonian textile designer Monika Järg who will also be exhibiting this week over at the Lodz Design Festival in Poland. I’ve never in my life laid eyes on anything even remotely similar. I love it. She uses plywood and felt to “stitch on” a pattern creating a wooden rug. Gorgeous!

Monika Järg: Wooden Rug

Now THIS is inspiring and innovative, right!? I am dying to see the entire rug now and wonder how this really works — how does it feel to walk across, where would it be used, etc. If you are attending this fair and you see one, please snap a photo or two for me — I’d love to check this beauty out in situ. Must be amazing.

(image: Monika Järg)

26 Comments

• Reply Bridgett October 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I envision it as a piece of artwork that deserves to be on a wall. Love it!

• Reply erin October 12, 2009 at 3:54 pm

lovely! the textures in these photos are great.
    .-= erin´s last blog ..jiffy pop. =-.

• Reply JwB @ the prettygoods October 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Wow, this is so cool. I bet these wooden rugs would also look great hung on the wall. Or as a headboard. Very inspiring!
    .-= JwB @ the prettygoods´s last blog ..Johansen Shoes at Little Girl Grown =-.

• Reply Brooke H October 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm

So cool! If someone sends you photo’s of it in a room set up, please post them!
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Vegas Bride =-.

• Reply Chelsey October 12, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Those are so awesome! I love them!

-chelsey
    .-= Chelsey´s last blog ..handmade gift guide . for the garden lover! =-.

• Reply My Owl Barn October 12, 2009 at 5:32 pm

That’s looks great. I’d too like to feel under my feet. These could be also used as table.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Talented Gals: Angie and Kristin =-.

• Reply Alison Gibbs October 12, 2009 at 5:44 pm

What a great look.
    Alison
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..SOMERSET LIFE & RHUBARB PIE =-.

• Reply Megan October 12, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Are you kidding me? That is amazing. How do people think to do things like this?

• Reply laura trevey October 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

so creative!! I would love to see the entire rug too :)
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Tea Time, Original Watercolor Painting, 8 by 10 =-.

• Reply monica from hola!design October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm

this is very original! love it Monika’s so talented.
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..M is for Me =-.

• Reply Wedding Chicks October 12, 2009 at 11:04 pm

wow! definitely thinking outside of the box!!! totally inspiring!

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee October 12, 2009 at 11:36 pm

This is really interesting. Still thinking about it I like it.

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Preston Bailey – Fabulous at Designing Events and His NYC Apartment =-.

• Reply MarianneS October 13, 2009 at 12:19 am

Monika’s work is truly amazing and innovative! Actually she has some smaller “wooden rugs” for wall as well. And has come up with many other great projects including “mustard rug”, where she had real mustard growing in patterns from rug, etc etc.
    I’m a fan :)

• Reply Piia Harris October 13, 2009 at 1:27 am

She’s so talented and from Estonia like me:)!Unique,unique,unique..
    .-= Piia Harris´s last blog ..And another one bites the dust… =-.

• Reply Judith ~ Felicity Crew October 13, 2009 at 2:23 am

Very inspiring to think out of the box! I wonder what size they are?
    .-= Judith ~ Felicity Crew´s last blog ..Fall apples – 5×5 original fine art photograph =-.

• Reply Zarnigar October 13, 2009 at 2:45 am

A unique n creative art …… this is the most awesome rug i ve ever seeen ….. its truly amazing

• Reply Jacqueline October 13, 2009 at 3:11 am

WOW this really looks cool! Such talented artist! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Chloe has chosen… =-.

• Reply Sandy October 13, 2009 at 3:29 am

Oh, what great inspiration! I work with felt, hubby works with wood…hmmm…
    Thanks! :-)

• Reply Jessica October 13, 2009 at 5:22 am

Wow, this is really nice!!! I hope you will get some photos,which you will share with us!

• Reply eileen October 13, 2009 at 6:56 am

I have never heard of such a thing. How creative!

• Reply Rachel October 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

That is so beautiful and you are right…so inspiring! :) Thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Clayton Gray Home October 13, 2009 at 8:31 am

Now that is really different!

• Reply Miabella October 13, 2009 at 8:46 am

This is very unique and so eco friendly. Thanks For Sharing!

• Reply viv October 13, 2009 at 9:01 am

How interesting, I hope someone get some more pictures!
    .-= viv´s last blog ..Frederic the Bat =-.

• Reply Gwen October 13, 2009 at 10:02 am

Neat!!! Of course, the overly practical side of me is wondering how one would clean it!

• Reply Margit K. October 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Here is her website. Lots of more discovering there :). http://www.tekstiilruumis.ee/indexeng.html Enjoy!
    .-= Margit K.´s last blog ..Raamist väljas =-.