Inspired By…

October 13, 2009

My friend Anne (aka Enna) just got back from Lisbon and I can’t stop looking at her photos today! I’m so inspired by Portugal all of a sudden, I’m dying to go there now. Sometimes it takes a good friend to go someplace you’d never in your life thought to travel to — and her visit makes you suddenly think about taking the same trip. We all influence one another in this way, so often, it’s wonderful isn’t it? Friends are so precious in every respect, but when a friend inspires you through her life and what she does with it, it’s a friendship to hold on to I believe.

Inspired By...

See this photo above? It’s from Anne’s visit to Portugal. I could have shared with you a photo of a house, the sea, or some food shots that she’d taken but instead I selected this one because it personally gave me an emotional reaction… it’s all I can think about now! This would be beautiful interpreted into art, a pattern for fabric, or even to tile a kitchen backsplash using so many different vintage tiles – I would love to do this.

(image: anne wendlendt)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jacqueline October 13, 2009 at 9:11 am

Portugal is lovely…tho i have yet to visit. :) That photo of a wall reminds me a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely merry happy day! Love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Chloe has chosen… =-.

• Reply monica from hola!design October 13, 2009 at 9:15 am

beautiful! I’d love to see that in a fabric. I’ve always wanted to go to Portugal! lovely pic.
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Tuesday | Enjoy =-.

• Reply Mary October 13, 2009 at 9:30 am

I absolutely love this! I agree, it would make a nice back splash in a kitchen or bathroom.
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..I’m feeling a little brain dead today. . . =-.

• Reply Zee October 13, 2009 at 9:41 am

I must visit Portugal as well. Mom’s family is from Porto city. I love their ceramic tiles! These tiles are beautiful together!
    .-= Zee´s last blog ..A Sassy Little Bird =-.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids October 13, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hi Holly! you should definitely visit Lisbon! My home town is simply lovely!
    Walking in the old neighborhoods of Alfama, Bairro Alto etc you see so much beauty! :) You can take the old trams around the city and experience all this and much more! :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..We love cookies! =-.

• Reply Ana October 13, 2009 at 10:13 am

Just before I started reading this post, I looked at the picture and thought: “It really “tastes” like home”. The image in the picture has a certain “je ne sais quoi” that directs you straight to my great country. I think we also have it in the blood.
    Holly, you’re more than invited to come down, although I live around 25km from Lisbon, in Cascais a beautiful fishermen village. You’ll definitely love it here!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Recomeçar / Starting over =-.

• Reply Petra- Designfragment October 13, 2009 at 10:54 am

I’e only been to Lisbon, but can highly recommend it. I can’t wait to go back, it’s such a beautiful city!
    .-= Petra- Designfragment´s last blog ..Screentryck hos Utilitarian Franchise =-.

• Reply Concha October 13, 2009 at 11:18 am

Oh you must come to Portugal! I was born in Lisbon and still live here and it’s a very charming, special city. And the weather is fantastic!! :)
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Tecidos de Museu :: Museum Fabrics =-.

• Reply Chelsea October 13, 2009 at 11:20 am

This picture is amazing! I’m so glad you chose to post this picture it definitely has a lot of meaning attached to it. I am 75% Portuguese yet I’ve never been to Portugal! This inspires me to go even more!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

Oh yeah…..I am with you! I love the idea of all of those beautiful tiles together. What a fun idea…..beautiful.

• Reply Katherine aka. Urban Flea October 13, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I love love love that image… it’s like a tile quilt!

xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..Daily High: Haus Interior =-.

• Reply sly_fox October 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Great photo capturing the cultural flavor of artisanal charm. As Jacquelina said, it is like a quilt, albeit ceramic not fabric. This would be fun translated into gift wrap paper !

Check out Atelier XT, the work of a prolific Portugese designer:

This link is to the “press” section, but check out decor, accessories , furniture and other galleries too.

Love her vibrant, quirky use of color and pattern, and the playfulness of her designs, like the fabric birds … sweet and modern simultaneously.

• Reply rosa October 13, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I hope to welcome you in my studio when you come. It’ll be open in a few weeks :)
    .-= rosa´s last blog ..via láctea =-.

• Reply Maya October 13, 2009 at 5:10 pm

The best thing about living in Europe is that you can travel to lots of countries just for a few days! I lived in Spain for two years and my family and I went everywhere… by car and train! I miss those days ans I wish I had just moved to Europe like you!

• Reply Sonja October 13, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I went to Portugal for the first time this summer – I knew nothing about it before I went there, and I was totally, totally unprepared for how amazingly gorgeous it is! Just seeing Lisbon from the air as we were flying in, I was totally, totally blown away. I didn’t want to go home!

I’m going back for Christmas and I’m super excited. It’s an amazing, amazingly gorgeous place.

I took approximately a zillion pictures while I was there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grapefruitmoon/sets/72157620865051148/
    .-= Sonja´s last blog ..Mad Rabbit. =-.

• Reply enna October 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I (heart) your blog post with my tile picture!!! Thank you for the kind words! I was thinking about the same thing when I saw this wall – making a kitchen backsplash out of all kinds of different tiles. It could also look great if you use only tiles from a certain colour-range like different shades of blue or even just white and cream coloured tiles with different textures!

• Reply maria1975 October 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm

LOVE those charming tiles – so many cheery colors & sweet patterns :)

• Reply Kiran October 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm

LOVE IT HOLLY!!!!!! This is fab! I love vintage tiles. And Portugal is filled with history & artistic tiles, colors and patterns.
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Guess Glow Candy =-.

• Reply lourdesleonita October 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm

my heart skipped a beat when i saw this image. so utterly beauitful – i’m not sure what else to do other than sit, stare and smile. thank you for sharing!

• Reply Carla Vallverde October 14, 2009 at 6:16 am

yes, a lovely tile patchwork work from my lovely country! Come to visit us!

• Reply samiya October 14, 2009 at 8:24 am

i would love to do that as well.. a feature wall.. well may be not in the kitchen but in a lobby or sth.. and i would love to get it as well done as this is..

• Reply Lise M. October 15, 2009 at 5:30 am

Hi Holly,

Portugal is a great country! I can deffinately recommend a visit to this lovely country. I was there this summer and made a short Lisbon city guide. So if you are interested. Please check it out here:

And here:

Have a lovely day!

Lise M.
    Urban Style Vibes
    .-= Lise M.´s last blog ..Unique design hotels =-.

• Reply Marcela Mac Laughlin October 19, 2009 at 10:28 am

Dear Holly: I love your blog and check it every now and then. I saw this picture today, and was surprised you like it, because that wall is so common here in Argentina. Every tile or ceramics shop has a wall like that.
    I sell tiles with a friend, they are handmade, and we try to make them unique, and make our tile shop unique too, so we don´t display tiles that way! Maybe we are wrong!!! jaja. Please have a look at our website if you feel like it.
    Yours sincerely, Marcela