Inspired By…

My friend Anne (aka Enna) just got back from Lisbon and I can’t stop looking at her photos today! I’m so inspired by Portugal all of a sudden, I’m dying to go there now. Sometimes it takes a good friend to go someplace you’d never in your life thought to travel to — and her visit makes you suddenly think about taking the same trip. We all influence one another in this way, so often, it’s wonderful isn’t it? Friends are so precious in every respect, but when a friend inspires you through her life and what she does with it, it’s a friendship to hold on to I believe.

Tiles in Lisbon

See this photo above? It’s from Anne’s visit to Portugal. I could have shared with you a photo of a house, the sea, or some food shots that she’d taken but instead I selected this one because it personally gave me an emotional reaction… it’s all I can think about now! This would be beautiful interpreted into art, a pattern for fabric, or even to tile a kitchen backsplash using so many different vintage tiles – I would love to do this.

(image: anne wendlendt)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on October 13, 2009

1. Jacqueline commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 9:11am

Portugal is lovely…tho i have yet to visit. :) That photo of a wall reminds me a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely merry happy day! Love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Chloe has chosen… =-.

2. monica from hola!design commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 9:15am

beautiful! I’d love to see that in a fabric. I’ve always wanted to go to Portugal! lovely pic.
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Tuesday | Enjoy =-.

3. Mary commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 9:30am

I absolutely love this! I agree, it would make a nice back splash in a kitchen or bathroom.
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..I’m feeling a little brain dead today. . . =-.

4. Zee commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 9:41am

I must visit Portugal as well. Mom’s family is from Porto city. I love their ceramic tiles! These tiles are beautiful together!
    .-= Zee´s last blog ..A Sassy Little Bird =-.

5. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 9:58am

Hi Holly! you should definitely visit Lisbon! My home town is simply lovely!
    Walking in the old neighborhoods of Alfama, Bairro Alto etc you see so much beauty! :) You can take the old trams around the city and experience all this and much more! :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..We love cookies! =-.

6. Ana commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 10:13am

Just before I started reading this post, I looked at the picture and thought: “It really “tastes” like home”. The image in the picture has a certain “je ne sais quoi” that directs you straight to my great country. I think we also have it in the blood.
    Holly, you’re more than invited to come down, although I live around 25km from Lisbon, in Cascais a beautiful fishermen village. You’ll definitely love it here!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Recomeçar / Starting over =-.

7. Petra- Designfragment commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 10:54am

I’e only been to Lisbon, but can highly recommend it. I can’t wait to go back, it’s such a beautiful city!
    .-= Petra- Designfragment´s last blog ..Screentryck hos Utilitarian Franchise =-.

8. Concha commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:18am

Oh you must come to Portugal! I was born in Lisbon and still live here and it’s a very charming, special city. And the weather is fantastic!! :)
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Tecidos de Museu :: Museum Fabrics =-.

9. Chelsea commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:20am

This picture is amazing! I’m so glad you chose to post this picture it definitely has a lot of meaning attached to it. I am 75% Portuguese yet I’ve never been to Portugal! This inspires me to go even more!

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:35am

Oh yeah…..I am with you! I love the idea of all of those beautiful tiles together. What a fun idea…..beautiful.
    xo
    Melis

11. Katherine aka. Urban Flea commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 1:02pm

I love love love that image… it’s like a tile quilt!

xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..Daily High: Haus Interior =-.

12. sly_fox commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Great photo capturing the cultural flavor of artisanal charm. As Jacquelina said, it is like a quilt, albeit ceramic not fabric. This would be fun translated into gift wrap paper !

Check out Atelier XT, the work of a prolific Portugese designer:

This link is to the “press” section, but check out decor, accessories , furniture and other galleries too.

Love her vibrant, quirky use of color and pattern, and the playfulness of her designs, like the fabric birds … sweet and modern simultaneously.

13. rosa commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 4:15pm

I hope to welcome you in my studio when you come. It’ll be open in a few weeks :)
    .-= rosa´s last blog ..via láctea =-.

14. Maya commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 5:10pm

The best thing about living in Europe is that you can travel to lots of countries just for a few days! I lived in Spain for two years and my family and I went everywhere… by car and train! I miss those days ans I wish I had just moved to Europe like you!

15. Sonja commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 5:15pm

I went to Portugal for the first time this summer – I knew nothing about it before I went there, and I was totally, totally unprepared for how amazingly gorgeous it is! Just seeing Lisbon from the air as we were flying in, I was totally, totally blown away. I didn’t want to go home!

I’m going back for Christmas and I’m super excited. It’s an amazing, amazingly gorgeous place.

I took approximately a zillion pictures while I was there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grapefruitmoon/sets/72157620865051148/
    .-= Sonja´s last blog ..Mad Rabbit. =-.

16. enna commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 6:31pm

I (heart) your blog post with my tile picture!!! Thank you for the kind words! I was thinking about the same thing when I saw this wall – making a kitchen backsplash out of all kinds of different tiles. It could also look great if you use only tiles from a certain colour-range like different shades of blue or even just white and cream coloured tiles with different textures!

17. maria1975 commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 10:40pm

LOVE those charming tiles – so many cheery colors & sweet patterns :)

18. Kiran commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:27pm

LOVE IT HOLLY!!!!!! This is fab! I love vintage tiles. And Portugal is filled with history & artistic tiles, colors and patterns.
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Guess Glow Candy =-.

19. lourdesleonita commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 11:36pm

my heart skipped a beat when i saw this image. so utterly beauitful – i’m not sure what else to do other than sit, stare and smile. thank you for sharing!

20. Carla Vallverde commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 6:16am

yes, a lovely tile patchwork work from my lovely country! Come to visit us!

21. samiya commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 8:24am

i would love to do that as well.. a feature wall.. well may be not in the kitchen but in a lobby or sth.. and i would love to get it as well done as this is..

22. Lise M. commented
    October 15th, 2009 at 5:30am

Hi Holly,

Portugal is a great country! I can deffinately recommend a visit to this lovely country. I was there this summer and made a short Lisbon city guide. So if you are interested. Please check it out here:

And here:

Have a lovely day!

Lise M.
    Urban Style Vibes
    .-= Lise M.´s last blog ..Unique design hotels =-.

23. Marcela Mac Laughlin commented
    October 19th, 2009 at 10:28am

Dear Holly: I love your blog and check it every now and then. I saw this picture today, and was surprised you like it, because that wall is so common here in Argentina. Every tile or ceramics shop has a wall like that.
    I sell tiles with a friend, they are handmade, and we try to make them unique, and make our tile shop unique too, so we don´t display tiles that way! Maybe we are wrong!!! jaja. Please have a look at our website if you feel like it.
    Yours sincerely, Marcela