uncategorized

Anthropologie Hits London!

October 14, 2009

Some of us are watching the clock here because soon Anthropologie will open it’s first shop in Europe on October 23rd — in London! How exciting for Anthro and those who love them on this side of the pond! I think their brand is smart and creative and will go over well though I must admit that there are so many gorgeous stores that have that “anthro-vibe” already that they’ll have to be uber creative to stand out as unique. I mean, whenever I shopped them back home I always felt like I was at a European market which was the appeal for me. Going to Anthro in my local mall was like spending the afternoon in London or Paris. With them taking a giant step into the European market I can only wonder how the average shopper will view them over here – because someone from Europe may not welcome that European flea market vibe as being fresh and new since it’s so common here to find beautiful things everywhere, including well, flea markets!

Anthropologie Hits London!

What I’m saying is that I wonder what their approach will be and how they’ll win the interest of their new customers. Some tend to be quite skeptical of American companies and brands moving in… so we shall see but I’m hopeful! I want them to be a smashing success because then whenever I’m homesick, I can fly to London in an hour and visit their store for my Anthro-fix. Who knows, perhaps it will go over well and they’ll bring one to northern Germany (they have an Urban Outfitters in Hamburg, so perhaps an Anthro is next?)We shall see…

So! Will you hit Anthropologie in London’s West End for a little visit? It opens October 23 at 158 Regent Street. I’ve heard it will have a garden inside and be quite unique and beautiful. I also heard that they’re focusing on featuring more European designers. I imagine that’s a good idea – giving designers here more of an outlet for marketing their brand and getting it in front of a broader audience. Yay!

Anthropologie Hits London!

Some anthro things for fall that I’m smitten by: a. sweater clock, b. felt tulip pendant, c. photo finish bathmat, d. crochet collage tablecloths, and f. felted panels throw, and e. thousand tiers dress.

P.S. If you’re in Europe and want to jump on their mailing list, please do so here. They plan to roll out a second London store early next year and also a new way for us here to shop online instead of going through the U.S. site with the huge VAT tax and shipping fees. So sign up for their email updates so you’ll be in the know.

Are you excited about them opening in London? What do you think about how they’ll be received on this side of the pond? Your thoughts overall?

(images: anthropologie)

57 Comments

• Reply Naomi F. October 14, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Oh I am soooo looking forward to this shop opening! I was always drooling over their stuff on all the great American blogs. Then when I was in The States, I finally got the chance to visit one of the shops and I think I was walking around like a zombie, just wanting to buy every single thing on display.

But now I can finally have all this goodness on my doorstep! So exciting!

• Reply juliette October 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm

oooh, i think this is so interesting! like you, i wonder how they will go over on this side of the planet. I think there’s a market, but perhaps smaller than the one in the US.

At this point in time, my general impression in that the folks over here who go for this kind of look here are either financially very well-off, don’t have much money to put towards Anthro prices no matter how much they love the look, OR one or both of these groups may be so entrenched with supporting smaller brands/artists that they may not want to support a retailer chain. I think their involvement of European designers will be key in reaching that third group, who, most likely, would be their most consistent group of clientele should they make a first purchase.

I’m curious. I’m also looking forward to hitting Anthro when I fly State-side for the holidays!!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: Love =-.

• Reply Lolo October 14, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I have enviously read about Anthropologie on US based blogs, and can’t wait to sample it for myself!

• Reply Mathyld / encore petite October 14, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Oh me oh my !
    The best news of the day :D

Kisses from a Parisian girl
    x x x
    ___mathyld___
    .-= Mathyld / encore petite´s last blog ..* Naif * =-.

• Reply read me... October 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I’m really looking forward to it opening. It’s one of my favourite stores to visit when we’re in NY. I think that for the high street it will be a welcome addition here… shopping in London is so stale, we need something new and exciting. I’m hoping for big things!
    .-= read me…´s last blog ..Bestagno =-.

• Reply Make, Do & Send October 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm

As a Londoner this is really exciting news for me! I’v heard so much about Anthropologie through the blogs I follow that I cant wait to have a look for myself. From what I’v seen on their website it definitely looks like my cup of tea :) Alex

• Reply mijk October 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I am curious though I would go to London in a heartbeat without them.. ;)
    .-= mijk´s last blog ..I really restrained myself =-.

• Reply leni October 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm

a long time ago i heard about a man who lived in Ikea while his apartment was being redone. I wish I could live in Anthropologie (even if I don’t have any remodeling projects going on!)
    .-= leni´s last blog ..Santorini (Part 2) + Update =-.

• Reply Beach Vintage October 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm

That doiley tablecloth is amazing. It will be an interesting time for them.
    .-= Beach Vintage´s last blog ..My Wish List for Today =-.

• Reply Kate October 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I’ll be camping outside until it opens…ok slight exaggeration :) Still, very excited about all of the lovely goodies to finally see in person

• Reply la petite masion October 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I concur that this is exciting news, Holly! Anthropologie seems to be growing leaps and bounds. Just 2 years ago I had to drive 1 hour north to access an Anthro store. Now there are four in San Diego alone! I have no doubt that the company will succeed in London, especially if this branch will feature numerous designers. God willing, I hope to visit the city early next year. I will definitely check out the London store; it would be interesting to compare and contrast it against the American stores.

• Reply Annette Q October 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Oooo… I cannot wait! I think they’ll be very successful in Europe. I’ve been to their website many many times and swooned over their gorgeous items! I’ve read and seen such great things about them, i’m veeery excited indeed!! :-)
    .-= Annette Q´s last blog ..Mixed Media Monday: Pink =-.

• Reply Carina October 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I’ve heard so much about Anthropologie so I am definitely going to have to visit! :-)
    .-= Carina´s last blog ..Now with pincushions =-.

• Reply Suzanne October 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I keep walking past it on Regent Street and longing! It’s had a sign up since summer saying ‘open in one month’ argh – they lie! At last we have a date though…

• Reply C October 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm

With Topshop’s highly anticipated opening in the States I suppose its time London got some cross-overs as well. I think Anthropologie has a great concept that would be well recieved anywhere, its great for finishing touches even if some of the larger furniture can be a tad pricey. But London’s already a fantastic place to shop for home furnishings with its good support for younger designers, having anthro would be a bonus!
    .-= C´s last blog ..Let the Art Speak =-.

• Reply samantha October 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Having recently discovered them online and through other peoples blogs, I would love to go and take a look, but my daughter is going to London this week and I have given her strict instructions to go take a look around and maybe take a few photos for me, I love the homesware stuff..cant wait for the uk online shop to be up and running either.
    .-= samantha´s last blog ..Tuesday flower arrangement. =-.

• Reply Restless Mama October 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm

If I were living in London I would indeed be excited! I think the West End is a perfect location for the shop since it’s going to be near so many theatres – perfect place to shop for thespians.
    I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled on how it does in Europe.
    .-= Restless Mama´s last blog ..The Shameless Cheerleader =-.

• Reply Jeanee October 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm

ooh-wee!!! {drool…}
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..DIY – how to reconstruct a t-shirt =-.

• Reply melissa October 14, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I can’t wait and plan to go as soon as it opens! I think the store/ brand will definitely fill a hole here. There is such a lack of women’s shopping options in London for the Anthropologie audience. What I’ve found in London are stale-ish department stores, high street chains and then uber-expensive boutiques, of which there are no shortage. I haven’t found anything in between those tiers, and certainly nothing which has the Anthropologie aesthetic here. I’m pretty excited about being able to go there now, even if only to walk through the store for an occasional visual pick-me-up!

• Reply Kylie @ All Things Lovely October 14, 2009 at 4:28 pm

But when will they bring it to Australia?!
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..Yes, it’s Pink! =-.

• Reply Anon October 14, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I work in an NYC store where we have tons of NYC tourists. We even had the London team training here for when that store opens. The Euro tourists love our store and always think that is is a brand that is from Europe and are surprised to hear it is from PA.

I think they will mostly keep a very similar vibe. There is no other brand like Anthro in the market right now. Why change anything?

• Reply Saima October 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I’m really excited and will pop in after work on Thursday. I’ve browsed their website a fair bit and though we have many boutiques here I still think their products are unique enough to spark interest. I’ll send you some photos from my visit :)
    .-= Saima´s last blog ..Milk and Two Sugars =-.

• Reply jamieofalltrades October 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Cheery-O Anthro! I am in love with those blankets they have. Beautiful patterns.
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..butternut squash with crispy kale =-.

• Reply Amanda October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I love anthropologie, yet live in New Zealand. It truly is the only homeware store which is a must do when I’m lucky enough to visit the States. Your post is really thought provoking. In the US anthro really stands out because of its eclectic nature & individual boutique feel compared to many American homeware stores which are very generic. London is full of eclectic individual stores, both large & small. I still think the anthropologie mix will stand out, as will their merchandising, and if the service & store culture is as good as it is in the US, this alone will make it!!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..pushing up daisies =-.

• Reply B October 14, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Oh, yeah! I’ll be there! Since I started reading blogs from the US, I’ve been hearing about this wonderful shop, so I wouldn’t miss it!
    .-= B´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Danielle October 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm

One of the best stores ever! I just wish I could afford it more often :-P
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..Halloween/Fall Decorating =-.

• Reply Megan October 14, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Next Australia? I will keep hoping!
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..Do You Have An Orange Chair? =-.

• Reply alexandra keller October 14, 2009 at 10:36 pm

i could live in an Anthro store :) Bu do you have the Sundance channel over there? there’s a show called Man Shops Globe, where they follow a man the shops for all of the great furniture that Anthro uses for display. He was in France last week, and I can’t wait to see the next one!
    .-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..Southwest Flair A-Fair =-.

• Reply Heather October 14, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I was in A-pologie store in Union Sq in Manhattan this past week and I was surprised at the large number of foreign women in the store. Many French, Italian, German, and Aussies. I remarked to my hubby that AP is clearly doing a good job of aping European fashion if actual Europeans are shopping there!

• Reply Lindsay {Shrimp} October 14, 2009 at 11:42 pm

You have officially caused me to have to drive two hours away to Cincinnati, Ohio to blow way too much money at my nearest Anthropologie. You’re a terrible influence! ;)
    .-= Lindsay {Shrimp}´s last blog ..How To-sday – Deconstructed Doll Milagro Necklace =-.

• Reply maria1975 October 15, 2009 at 12:11 am

I’m lucky in that I have an Anthro shop here in Ohio. I absolutely love going in there – always smells wonderful & very creatively decorated.

• Reply Jany October 15, 2009 at 3:01 am

Thanks for this info. I’ve read so much about Anthropologie on american blogs so far…and i’m going to London for a little weekend end of october ! Already wrote down the adress on the list of shops i want to hit while there ( other are Buffalo, and Orla Kiely :-))

• Reply mijk October 15, 2009 at 3:25 am

I found it a bit annoying that htere measurements in the online shop aren’t metric. It gives me the feeling they do not really understand europe…

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé October 15, 2009 at 3:43 am

It’s already quite known in the UK, so I think it will do very well, I just hope they don’t try to milk it like Abercrombie though and charge nearly double the prices than in the US, as that would really put people off…
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Flags + Food =-.

• Reply deltadawn October 15, 2009 at 3:46 am

Funny, just like Naomi F. I’m European and I was drooling at Anthro dresses and jewellery and other things on US blogs. Then I visited the store and… well… I was a little disappointed! I bought a few things that I love, but I didn’t have the feeling that everything was amazing. I have to say I thought it was pretty standard products for a European shopper, being clothes or decoration…
    Wait and see :)

• Reply lisa :: the red thread October 15, 2009 at 3:58 am

I’m waiting not so patiently for them to open at the bottom of the pond. I was excited recently when they announced on their website that they now ship to 32 countries… 32 European countries that is. Alas, we in Australia will have to keep waiting for our dose of Anthropologie.
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..0313 zero-san-ichi-san =-.

• Reply Pen October 15, 2009 at 4:26 am

Is it a co-incidence that I have taken the day off work on 23rd October? No. Am I waaay too excited about Anthropologie in London? Yes.

Best bit: when the second branch opens on the King’s Road in the Spring, I just might be able to make it there in my lunch hour…

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids October 15, 2009 at 4:29 am

Great news! one more reason to travel in the weekend to London :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..We love cookies! =-.

• Reply julia October 15, 2009 at 4:37 am

I am soooo happy! Finally ! I’ve been drooling over their products for so long…
    And just in time: I’ll go to London in November!
    j. -a parisian girl-

• Reply Mariana October 15, 2009 at 4:51 am

I am thrilled!! I am Portuguese and I love antrophologie! Everything is so beautiful! yupi! I am going to travel a lot to London!!

• Reply Hygge Nook October 15, 2009 at 4:53 am

Like Katie @Coco Målé said, Anthropologie is pretty well known here but if we feel we’re being ripped off price wise, it won’t go down well. We love the stuff but we don’t want to pay double for it.

I think the location is spot on, lots of lovely shops in that area. The only thing is, it would open whilst I’m in America!
    .-= Hygge Nook´s last blog ..Innocent’s Big Knit =-.

• Reply Serena October 15, 2009 at 4:57 am

The Anthropology stuff looks nice but I just feel that I could go to East London for the same thing at much cheaper prices. Columbia Road, Cheshire Street and Redchurch Street all have amazing shops and it means you don’t have to go into the busy centre! Also, if you go to Columbia Road on a Sunday there is a gorgeous flower market!

• Reply philippa October 15, 2009 at 4:59 am

I simply can’t wait!

I only found out that they were coming to blighty when I literally stumbled upon their store, work men and all last month. I was killing time before an event on Carnaby Street and wondered down Kingly Street (the back of Regents Street) and noticed a tiny little Anthropologie sign on the bandages covering the only Dickens and Jones building.

No? It can’t be I thought? So excited was I that I dashed across Regent Street to the Apple store to ‘borrow’ their free internet and googled madly till I found confirmation.

I have drooled over the Anthro website for so long, and have sat, fingers hovering over the mouse, just about to buy that special little something, only to chicken out at the last moment.

I’ll be there on the 23rd, glassy eyed and excited!
    .-= philippa´s last blog ..Brrrr! =-.

• Reply Susannah October 15, 2009 at 4:59 am

i can’t wait to visit :) i actually wish they were planning to stock more US designers/finds as i can get London/euro stuff here already. But i’m sure it will be a roaring success, and I will be there next week to check it out! Plus with a big store on Regent Street you really can’t go wrong…

I was in Urban Outfitters in Montreal last month and spotted all these lovely things, but then i get back here and my nearest branch (Bristol) doesn’t have the same stock, which is a shame. Ah well
    .-= Susannah´s last blog ..~ Unravelling HQ ~ =-.

• Reply Violetsrose October 15, 2009 at 6:47 am

I totally disagree with you about it being common to find stuff in flea markets here – London and much of the UK has been totally stripped of the best vintage stuff – its incredibly hard to find good vintage-y items at any kind of rasonable price and to find vintage clothes that fit modern figures and sizes is next to impossible.
    Plus, people don’t always have the time or means to hunt for true vintage treasures.

which is why I think Anthropologie will do hugely well here – this eclectic vintage style is very popular in the UK and once the website opens it will be accessible to all, even those not near London.

Anthropologie is one of my favourite stores and I’ve been waiting years for it to appear in the UK – cna’t wait for my first visit!

• Reply Foley October 15, 2009 at 6:54 am

I’m so excited about Anthropologie opening in London! I’m french and live in Paris, but sometimes i go to London and love shopping there, so many stores we don’t have here :) I discovered Anthro in few years ago in NY and totally loved the store, it’s so beautiful and inventive, i like the European inspiration but with a modern American mood.
    Can’t wait to have one of the store in Paris, just like Urban Outfitters! Please open in France too ^__^
    .-= Foley´s last blog ..Links a la mode, october 8th =-.

• Reply Kate October 15, 2009 at 7:00 am

I am so pleased – I have seen a lot of their stuff online and I can’t wait to get down to London for a shopping trip and have a good old mooch about the shop!

• Reply Penny Patten October 15, 2009 at 7:38 am

Looking through their shop was fun. I liked how they styled their scarves, and loved some of the foot ware, and oh so much more!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Admit one-Julie & Julie =-.

• Reply michele m October 15, 2009 at 9:24 am

I waited ever so patiently for the first Anthro shop to open in Canada and it did this past Spring in a very upscale shopping complex. Its a two hour drive to Anthro for me but my heart beats a little faster every minute of the trip. First I stop and drool over the window display, it is the most imaginative and artistic of all the chains. I love the bohemian vibe and am hoping the Brits will too.

• Reply Laura October 15, 2009 at 9:56 am

Love that crochet tablecloth!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Etsy favourites: olive green =-.

• Reply margaret October 15, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I think you make a very good point, that they are going to have to go the extra mile to stand out in the sea of unique shops in london. Im sure they are up to the challenge though! Cant wait to see pics of the new store.

• Reply Orange Pop October 16, 2009 at 7:45 am

Ah, this got to be the best shopping news I’ve heard (ok, read) in a while. I love Anthropologie, but so far shopping there is limited to the online experience or the trips I take when visiting family overseas. Let’s cross our fingers and hope the rest of Europe will be Anthropologized soon too!

See my ‘shooping selection’ at http://orangepopdesign.blogspot.com/2009/10/all-i-want.html :-)

— orangepopdesign.blogspot.com —

• Reply Lynne, Tea for Joy October 17, 2009 at 5:44 am

I’m interested to see how it does – although Londoners will love the style, I think it might be a tad pricey for clothes – it’s so close to Top Shop which I think is totally the style leader. I totally disagree with you that London has lots of flea markets etc where you can easily get the vintage vibe – you really have to go far out of London for that. Also, in the UK we are not so into the whole handmade vintage vibe so I’m not sure. But I definitely will regularly have a look! I walked past the other day and it looks like the windows etc will be fantastic, and I saw a beautiful mirror in a magazine already which really wasn’t too expensive.

• Reply Pen October 17, 2009 at 7:54 am

Thought you might be interested to see this – seems Anthro will be sourcing a proportion of their stock locally in the London stores… Eley Kishimoto is fab, will be fantastic to have a (relatively) affordable range from them.

• Reply Andrew October 18, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I work at one of the new Anthros in Canada and I can tell you that the response in this country has been overwhelming! We get people coming from all parts of the country. It’s a destination. I’m assuming it may take some time before the Brits catch on to the Anthropologie phenomenon, but it’s such a good fit for London!

• Reply Vicki Archer October 20, 2009 at 12:18 am

Can’t wait to see their new store…I am sure it will be fabulous. xv
    .-= Vicki Archer´s last blog ..The Window Shopper…Noir et Blanc =-.

• Reply KH October 20, 2009 at 8:17 am

I am so excited! I have wanted to buy from them, but was put off by the tax and shipping costs. Finally, I will be able to own my little piece of the Anthropologie world!!! I secretly wish it was my whole world though…