In The Neighborhood…

Everyone sing along with me (if you’re American and grew up with Sesame Street, you’ll know this song in English by heart)… “These are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neigh-bor-hood yes these are the people in your neighborhood… they’re the people that you meet, when you’re walking down the street, they’re the people who you meeeeet eachhh dayyyyy!”.

Very good. We can all return to being responsible, serious adults again. Or not. :) So! Here are 7 photos from the people in my neighborhood today, at least my virtual one, that I feel inspired by because I am getting a real sense of honest simplicity here that I realize is what draws me to the design I gravitate towards and feature here the most – work that feels as though it formed from a very honest place inside ones soul and blossomed, over time, into something physical. Like a vignette. Or a room. Or a product. This is my mood board of sorts and so I thought that instead of keeping all of these magical escapes to myself that I’d share them in one community-like post. Be sure to click around and stay awhile, you’ll find my neighbors quite nice and super creative. :)

Inspired By

The sunroom of Yvestown. Wow. And her kitchen (shown here). Double wow. Her home needs to be in the Cath Kidston catalog. Cath & Co. if you are listening, put this woman’s home in your next catalog – what an inspiration!

Inspired By

Tamar’s home in Vermont is such a cozy space and though she carefully edits it, there is just SO. MUCH. STUFF. Her home is like a shop or something, a shop I want to peruse for hours. Funny thing, she owns a virtual store called Nest Decorating. I think she needs some feminine little general store in downtown Burlington, or a B&B, or something she can fill and fill and FILL! Her home is part dollhouse, part cottage and I just adore it.

Inspired By

Buttons Magee and her magical eye – she is a natural behind the camera. I love the feeling of this photo, the wall of pretty things as I call it. I can imagine standing before it in person with my jaw hanging open. Wow.

Inspired By

Little fingers tapping on the keys of a vintage typewriter – can you stand the sweetness? And can you even imagine the modern child caring about a typewriter with all the iPhones running around? A person can dream of their child taking a personal interest in something most of us think of as nostalgic. How many of you first learned to type in school on a typewriter? I learned the same year our school received a shipment of Apple computers, which back then, I hated more than you’ll ever know. Typing class I liked. Computer class bored me to death — all that white flashing text on a jet black screen… Yes I understand how old saying all this makes me. Whatever. :) Gabrielle Kai is the photographer who shot this gorgeous photo, her online portfolio is gorgeous. See it here.

Inspired By

I love a sweet, honest approach to decorating and this bedroom is the perfect combination of both. The Fabled Needle is the lady behind the lovely bedroom and her blog is as lovely and sincere as her home.

Inspired By

Ah… the most cozy kitchen… from Haust in Norway. I really want to sit at this table and eat some of my dad’s biscuits ‘n gravy with grits and eggs. Yum. And peek through her copy of Elle Interior… Do you think she’d mind? Would you like to join me?

Inspired By

And speaking of honest simplicity, this lovely table arrangement is byElena Kovyrzina in Toronto, who has the most beautiful Flickr stream. You have to scroll through her recent trip to Kiev. Now I want to get on the next train, it looks wonderful there….

(images: linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, kitchen on October 14, 2009

1. Brandi commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 1:16pm

I concur: that kitchen looks quite cozy. I can just imagine myself drinking tea and looking through cookbooks, planning meals to cook for my family and friends.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Glee =-.

2. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 2:07pm

What a fun blog with such beautiful images.

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Colorful Designer Front Doors and Paint Samples =-.

3. Little Gray Pixel commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 2:21pm

I, too, learned to type the same year our school got computers. Typing was fun. Computer class, not so much. It was all DOS commands and creating pictures on the screen by typing in coordinates. *Eye roll*
    .-= Little Gray Pixel´s last blog ..Media Minded: 13 Scary Movies =-.

4. Anita Dawoodi commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Really enjoyed these little peeks into these sweet homes! Thank you! :)
    xo Anita – Austria
    .-= Anita Dawoodi´s last blog ..Hei Astrid! =-.

5. lindsay commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 3:23pm

The kitchen looks so cozy…and I love the throw on the end of the bed. Chunky textiles are calling me this season!
    .-= lindsay´s last blog ..Before. After. =-.

6. jen commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 4:09pm

holly, you’ve made my day twice this week! i’m honored to be in included in such a neighborhood as this…so much inspiration!

and thank you for your thoughtful words too, you’ve made me smile. :)
    .-= jen´s last blog ..Hip, Hip, Hurray!? Loveliette.com is Now Open ? =-.

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 5:24pm

These are all gorgeous and what a lovely idea for a post….I am SO there with you for your dad’s biscuits, eggs and grits! Grits!? Yeah, baby!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Wow… =-.

8. monica from hola!design commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 6:12pm

I loved this post! specially the work of Gabrielle KOi! brilliant!
    .-= monica from hola!design´s last blog ..Wednesday | Product Design =-.

9. Jacqueline commented
    October 14th, 2009 at 9:23pm

Oh wow these are gorgeous! I can’t stop looking at them! Thanks for the links too! Have a lovely merry happpy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Chloe has chosen… =-.

10. Jeanette commented
    October 15th, 2009 at 2:38am

Thank you for showing Holly! I fell in LOVE with nest decorating and went right away and bought myself a wonderful necklace. Seriously, I could buy all of her wonderful items.

And Haust is a wonderful Norwegian blog, I follow her myself :)

Here the autumn-sun is shining from clear blue sky, it´s the best time of year! Wish you a happy-happy day :) Jeanette XX
    .-= Jeanette´s last blog ..ONE OF MY =-.

11. Penny Patten commented
    October 15th, 2009 at 7:48am

A very nice selection, thanks for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Admit one-Julie & Julie =-.

12. Katrina commented
    October 15th, 2009 at 7:54am

I LOVED playing on my father’s typewriter when I was little!! This is definitely something I will need to have for my children someday, thanks for the reminder! :p

P.S. Those photos are gorgeous, she makes me want to re-decorate right NOW!!!

13. Christia commented
    October 15th, 2009 at 9:23am

Thanks for sharing your ‘neighbors,’ Holly! I just got lost on this rainy day in Nest Decorating for a while. Love when that happens! And Tamar’s jewelry is so gorgeous as well…can’t wait to shop for the holidays.
    .-= Christia´s last blog ..Egg Carton Gift Wrapping =-.

14. Jane Weston commented
    October 16th, 2009 at 6:28am

I’ll be humming that tune all day now :o) Great links!